Casual Infect Based off Gavin Verhey'sTurbo Poison

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I've recently been reading a lot of articles online to help with constructing my decks. Pretty much my whole playgroup has been net decking or buying prebuilts off Ebay. As a result, any deck I've constructed from what I randomly get in boosters gets decimated rather quickly. IMO, takes a lot of fun out of the game for me. I turn to you, the Magic Community and it's vast expertise for help in modding my decks to at least keep up.

Decided to go for infect to get around my brother's W Life Gain deck and to take out another's goblin deck in the hopes of winning before he gets it going to the point of 88 goblin tokens with +3/3 counters and haste. Found this article:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

and the deck piqued my curiosity. (With a suggested 3-turn win, who could pass looking it over?)

Here's the decklist:

3x [C]Cavern of Souls[/C]
9x [C]Forest[/C]
4x Hinterland Harbor
4x Inkmoth Nexus
3x Island

3x Blight Mamba
4x Blighted Agent
4x Glistener Elf
4x Ichorclaw Myr

3x Apostle's Blessing
2x Artful Dodge
1x Gut Shot
1x Increasing Savagery
1x Livewire Lash
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Titanic Growth
2x Unnatural Predation
4x Wild Defiance

My questions with this deck is with the release of new sets (Ravnica, Gatecrash, Etc.) are there any cards that I should swap that are better? I have half the cards from my extras but still missing some. I just want to make sure I don't pass over possibilities before buying the others. End deck will also not include the Caverns and Hinterlands since they spike the price total quite a bit.
Alright, looks pretty solid.

Here are my thoughts: Invigorate is a must have, run 4 of them, it's a Titanic Growth for 0 mana.  Rancor is a must and for the most part strictly better than Unnatural Predation. I would strongly recommend 1 Pendelhaven. I've always thought Livewire Lash is a little too slow. Might of Old Krosa is probably a 4 of. 

An ideal situation is to play Inkmoth Nexus on turn one and then pass. On turn two, play a Forest. After that attack with Inkmoth Nexus, and pump with Invigorate, Mutagenic Growth. Suddenly they haven't started their second turn and they already have 7 poison counters.

Here's another situation. Turn one Pendelhaven into Glistener Elf. Turn two drop a forest, use Pendelhaven to pump the Elf, then Rancor, attack and Invigorate. You are hitting them for 8 on turn two, and even if they have a one drop, you'll trample through them.

I wouldn't run Gut Shot, if you inist on running blue, I would just run something like Unsummon which is actually pretty good here. Honestly, this deck is amazing if you run white, because you can run Swords to Plowshares which has no draw back and is crazy good removal. Same goes with Oust. Wild Defiance is probably too slow. An infect pump deck should win in 3 or 4 turns, and if doesn't, you probably are going to lose. For that reason Increasing Savagery is a card you should strongly consider cutting. I would run less creatures (12 + Inkmoth Nexus maybe), and usually mulligan if I don't draw a Glistener Elf or Inkmoth Nexus on turn 1. Honestly, there's not too much from the new sets that will do a ton for you. 

I would strongly recommend cutting the blue, Blighted Agent isn't THAT good, and you don't have enough blue mana to guarntee he gets played early. Artful Dodge is cute, but not necssary. White is great if you want another color because you get Emerge Unscathed which creates unblockables and also protects your stuff. White also gives you the removal options I mentioned earlier. 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I agree with HonorBasquiat on a few things but other things i dont. I think you should cut the following cards

3 x Cavern of Souls
1 x
1 x
4 x
4 x
2 x

This gives you room to add 12 cards and three Cavern of Souls because your opponents won't be able to counter your spells that early and none of your creatures share a type. The lands you should add should be 3 pendlehaven. You should also cut a forest for an island just to be a little more consistent. This is what I would add:
[deck]
3 Might of Old Krosa
4 Invigorate
4 Rancor
Livewire Lash
[/deck] 

I love pump infect its so much fun to say on turn three: I deal 11 poison counters to you, you're dead.

I agree with HonorBasquiat on a few things but other things i dont. I think you should cut the following cards

3 x Cavern of Souls
1 x
1 x
4 x
4 x
2 x

This gives you room to add 12 cards and three Cavern of Souls because your opponents won't be able to counter your spells that early and none of your creatures share a type. The lands you should add should be 3 pendlehaven. You should also cut a forest for an island just to be a little more consistent. This is what I would add:
[deck]
3 Might of Old Krosa
4 Invigorate
4 Rancor
Livewire Lash
[/deck] 

I love pump infect its so much fun to say on turn three: I deal 11 poison counters to you, you're dead.

I agree with all the stuff you would cut (especially Cavern of Souls) except for Mutagenic Growth, isn't free pump always a good thing here? Mutagenic Growth makes a turn 2 more likely. Why 3 Pendelhaven, does he really want to be drawing dead Legendary lands on turn 3. 

I have mixed feelings about Livewire Lash, I really feel that it takes 2 turns to set up, unless you are playing it mid game, and with infect, if there's a mid game, you probably are going to lose. Livewire Lash can be insane, but I for some reason find it better with black infect.  What do you like about it?
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
It seems mostly what everyone agrees on for sure is cutting the blue and Gut Shot. What about running the white? Seems like sacrificing pumps for removals might push it more to midrange though. What's the backlash on running 3 Pendelhaven?
It seems mostly what everyone agrees on for sure is cutting the blue and Gut Shot. What about running the white? Seems like sacrificing pumps for removals might push it more to midrange though. What's the backlash on running 3 Pendelhaven?

Running three Pendelhaven is not great because the deck is so fast, if you open with a Pendelhaven, and then you draw another one, you just wasted a draw, because it's a Legendary Land. 

Running White makes sense to me, because you can make sure they don't have blockers. run Invigorate, Might of Old Krosa and Rancor for sure though.
Alright so in the end swap blue for white.

-3 caverns
-4 hinterlands
-1 gut shot
-4 Titanics
-1 savagery
-2 unnatural predation 
-1 llive wire
-2 artful dodge

+2 pendelhaven
+4 might of old krosa
+4 invigorate
+4 rancor
+3 oust/ swords
+3 emerge unscathed 

This about right? Sorry for lack of autocard. Takes forever on tablet. 
Just one quick thing, if you commonly run into problems with enchantments or artifacts nature's claim is a complete beast in infect. It might slow your deck down but works if you play against people who can stop you with enchantments or artifacts. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
BobbertZhubert makes a great point about Nature's Claim although there you really should be winning so quickly those cards shouldn't be a problem with those types of cards/.

The cuts you made and changes look good. Honestly, Blight Mamba is cool, but I strongly prefer Necropede, you really want to punish your opponent from blocking or discourage then from doing so.

If you are curious here's what my Green/White infect deck looks like, I stopped playing it because it's a little too powerful in my play circle and doesn't lose really. This is the only deck I own that has no card draw because it's so fast. You want to keep a hand with two creatures, one removal spell, a couple lands and a couple pump spells. this deck gets pretty good draws. You don't need THAT much pump or that many creatures. Don't forget that this deck is really only going to swing two or three times tops. Emerge Unscathed is very good because of the rebound and stops creature removal while creating unblockables. 

Creature (12)

Sorcery (4)

Enchantment (4)

Another note, if you are looking for something a little more fun and gimmicky, you can throw Lich's Mirror into this deck, this is one of the few decks that gets a legit second shot with it. 
@HonorBasquiat

Ah perfect! Just what I was looking for! Thanks guys, you've been loads of help!

Jan 25, 2013 -- 2:50PM, infinitemana wrote:

3 x Cavern of Souls
1 x  Gut Shot
1 x  Increasing Savagery
4 x  Mutagenic Growth
4 x  Titanic Growth
2 x  Unnatural Predation 

This gives you room to add 12 cards and three Cavern of Souls because your opponents won't be able to counter your spells that early and none of your creatures share a type. The lands you should add should be 3 pendlehaven . You should also cut a forest for an island just to be a little more consistent. This is what I would add:
3 x Might of Old Krosa
4 x Invigorate
4 x Rancor
1 x  Livewire Lash

I agree with all the stuff you would cut (especially Cavern of Souls ) except for Mutagenic Growth , isn't free pump always a good thing here? Mutagenic Growth makes a turn 2 more likely. Why 3 Pendelhaven , does he really want to be drawing dead Legendary lands on turn 3. 

I have mixed feelings about Livewire Lash , I really feel that it takes 2 turns to set up, unless you are playing it mid game, and with infect, if there's a mid game, you probably are going to lose. Livewire Lash  can be insane, but I for some reason find it better with black infect.  What do you like about it?

Oops, I totally didn't mean to add Mutagenic Growth to the cut list. And Livewire Lash, although takes 2 turns to set up turns all of your pump spells into removal or poison counters
Note that white is not the only other good color. You can run it red for assault strobe and teetering peaks which is just funny as all hell when you are running rancor and how I do it.

4 glistener elf all nasty 1/1's with infect
4 ichorclaw myr
4 blight mamba
4 carrion call

4 rancor pump and trample
4 assault strobe first strike infect is just lethal.
4 invigorate free pump
4 mutagenic growth free pump
3 crop rotation fun with teetering peaks and to find your pendelhaven.

4 forest
4 stomping ground
4 inkmoth nexus
4 teetering peaks
4 rith's grove recover your teetering peaks to play again.
1 pendelhaven more land pump.

is just amusing as all hell. It has many differing ways to turn two someone.

Only run one pendelhaven. If you want more chances to find it run crop rotation.

Black is also amazingly fun with undying evil. Almsot any color goes well with infect.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
What about double cleave for white/green pump infect?
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!