what if, to kill someone would cost you xp at mid-level and beyond ?

then, your fighter would have 100% hit and damage, but he would need some restrain from savageness, with the sentence " a perfect fighter never fights"
What?
Are you high?
This is the worst idea since weapon speeds.
Here is reality, read and understand: Rangers aren't dull or underpowered, in any edition. Fighters aren't dull or underpowered, in any edition. Casters aren't "god mode" or overpowered, in any edition. The tarrasque isn't broken. And you aren't voicing your opinion by claiming otherwise, you're just being a pain. Now, stop complaining.
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

no no, I'm proof; there is definately an end to the Warrior path; it is the same as accomplishing a quest (like in the Graal)
I don't understand why this is necessary. The current playtest fighter is useless except for the ability to kill stuff.

And you want to take that away from the class.

Why?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is a nice little self created divide here. Shame there can't be more acceptance instead. I feel that is where the future of the game should be.

All this vitriol, pushing away, retroactive retaliation, and preemptive striking needs to stop.

I keep trying but some won't let things go. Will you?

Because you like something, it does not mean it is good. Because you dislike something, it does not mean it is bad. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it everyone's opinion. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it truth. Because it is your opinion, it does not make it the general consensus. Whatever side you want to take, at least remember these things.

perhaps there is not only physical fight; mental fight (and not losing face) would be high level fight...
This sounds like something a Paladin might do, not a Fighter, and even a Paladin will kill without hesitation in many cases. Maybe an optional feature, like a Vow of Peace.
And you want to take that away from the class.

Why?

Because it's just not "immersive" enough for fighters to not have nice things.  We have to take away their merely-adequate things now.

then, your fighter would have 100% hit and damage, but he would need some restrain from savageness, with the sentence " a perfect fighter never fights"

I think what you want would be better suited in roleplaying terms for a specific group.  I think of that Western movie with Clint Eastwood, where he was the old "retired" killer that had moral dilemmas with what he did and why.  I can see it being a neat specific end game, but not a rule.

I think what you want would be better suited in roleplaying terms for a specific group.  I think of that Western movie with Clint Eastwood, where he was the old "retired" killer that had moral dilemmas with what he did and why.  I can see it being a neat specific end game, but not a rule.

pas mal...
Just looke dit up.  Unforgiven.  Good flick.
It amuses me that people still respond to uglyvan posts.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

They make me laugh and brighten my day... 

Uglyvan, I can't say I understand even 10% of the things you post, but props for thinking outside the box!

Also, if I recall you are from France?  I think your English is getting better, keep it up.
I'm pretty sure Ugly is somewhere sittin with a hookah and a big ole smile on his face.

They make me laugh and brighten my day... 

Uglyvan, I can't say I understand even 10% of the things you post, but props for thinking outside the box!

Also, if I recall you are from France?  I think your English is getting better, keep it up.

Forget the box. I don't think he is thinking on the same planet that the box is located on! I find it easier to understand Kant, Hegel, or Heidegger than Uglyvan...
Are you high?

D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Let's not even consider how ridiculous it is to forget how to do things because you killed somebody.  XP loss/drain/expenditure really needs to stay dead.
Let's not even consider how ridiculous it is to forget how to do things because you killed somebody.  XP loss/drain/expenditure really needs to stay dead.

I'm ok with it in very specific, very rare circumstances that can be entirely avoided by EITHER DM or players (that is, on order for XP loss/level drain to happen, the DM and players have to agree to accept it happening.  One such example would be level-draining Tonberrys.  You can try to kill them and take the risk of level drain, or you can run away and they can't possibly chase you.  At any point either the DM or the players can say 'no, that's not happening' and it doesn't happen.)

But the OP's idea?  He's clearly high.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
High, yeah. Y-yeah, definitely. D-definitely high. Yeah.
Howdy folks,

As this thread has ventured off-topic rather rapidly and into dangerous territory, I'll be closing it.

Thanks.  

All around helpful simian

Sign In to post comments