Any news from Winter Fantasy?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Winter Fantasy 2013 convention is currently underway in Fort Wayne. I'm expecting some kind of announcement or even just hints about the future of DC to be released this weekend. If anyone hears anything, please post. Thanks!
Does anyone else find it odd that there are no videos by Wizards of game play?

I can watch videos of the other board games they put out.
Does anyone else find it odd that there are no videos by Wizards of game play?

I don't find it odd, but that's because I've been seeing the writings on the walls for a few months now.

Hoping for the best but not convinced this will last beyond Blood of Gruumsh.
I hope that I am wrong, but I get the feeling that the DC stuff we have now is all there is gonna be and WOTC will not tell us that because they are afraid that once the cat is out of the bag that we will all stop buying what is left.

I really hope that isn't the case as I really like the game and want it to continue.
I hope that I am wrong, but I get the feeling that the DC stuff we have now is all there is gonna be and WOTC will not tell us that because they are afraid that once the cat is out of the bag that we will all stop buying what is left.

I really hope that isn't the case as I really like the game and want it to continue.

That's what they did for Dreamblade. They waited until we bought our advance copies of Night Fusion boosters at GenCon before announcing they were cutting all the 1K$ and 10K$ tournaments, and they waited until the rest of us bought their Night Fusion in stores before announcing that Edge tournament (think FNM for Dreamblade) promos would now be recycled promos from previous months. Not a class act. And that's why I'm not having a lot of false hopes.
I have always said that unless it's MTG that WOTC isn't worried about it.
I have always said that unless it's MTG that WOTC isn't worried about it.

Or D&D. The Pen and Paper game, not derived products.
True, but in my opinion, and not to flame anybody or anything, they are on the verge of ruining that. I liked Dreamblade, I even liked Hecatomb, Heroscape was great. I liked Duelmasters and so forth, but it seems like all they care about is there cash cow....I know that that is the "money" for them, but it's like they sacrifice everything else without even giving anything a chance. When something does good they can it, if something goes bad (usually becuase they market it all wrong or don't support it, and it has got to a point where people can see it coming a mile away) they can it. I just don't have faith in anything they put out tbh.
True, but in my opinion, and not to flame anybody or anything, they are on the verge of ruining that. I liked Dreamblade, I even liked Hecatomb, Heroscape was great. I liked Duelmasters and so forth, but it seems like all they care about is there cash cow....I know that that is the "money" for them, but it's like they sacrifice everything else without even giving anything a chance. When something does good they can it, if something goes bad (usually becuase they market it all wrong or don't support it, and it has got to a point where people can see it coming a mile away) they can it. I just don't have faith in anything they put out tbh.

You know Duelmasters is still being produced in Japan, as its current edition, not that new revamped one. It isn't just about making money, its about doing better each and every quarter, something in which MtG is fine in, but D&D only gets a great profit when a new edition comes out. All of those products made money, but it didn't make more then it did so WotC viewed it as a liability. (A chance to lose money because it wasn't making more money then before, breaking even is horrible in business)
My Commander Decks Zur The En-hancer Omnomnom
I'm extremely discouraged that the latest "In the Works" column didn't make any mention of a new DC set. It's around this time of the year that I would expect to see a big announcement. The total silence from WotC is deafening. I hate to say it, but it's not looking good for DC.
Well, hopefully it's not over but you've all succeeded in making me very sad and worried.
Well, hopefully it's not over but you've all succeeded in making me very sad and worried.

No In The Works is to me a pretty good signal. My only hopes for the game was

1) they started with low expectations, as evidenced by their lack of official play support from the start
2) they might not have a better idea to churn out minis for D&D than putting out more Dungeon Command sets

The game had only about 8 players at its height here in Montreal, when Dreamblade and World of Warcraft minis (both games that died ignominous deaths) had 20+. Now the number is more like 4 total, so we're struggling to keep events going and only get some games in around the time of new set releases (when we all make it a duty to show up to try out the new figures).

It's still growing here in Boston, though no doubt slower than Wizards would like.

The good news IMO is that even without any more sets I can get a ton more gameplay out of the game, and I'm definitely going to put together 1+ sets myself if they stop.  But still, would really be nice if it continued. 
I apologize to you all, though you don't even know me.  I was just introduced to this game around New Year's by a friend of mine and loved it.  And I seem to have a bad habit of discovering a new game to love and then the game dies ;)  Eve CCG, Warhammer 40K CCG, VS CCG, etc.  Hopefully this is not actually the case, but the rumors in this thread are making me think otherwise.  It's very disappointing that Wizards might walk away after less than a year.  Makes me wonder what their time frame is for success.  Does a game have to fly off the shelves at its initial release to even stand a chance these days?
It's very disappointing that Wizards might walk away after less than a year.  Makes me wonder what their time frame is for success.  Does a game have to fly off the shelves at its initial release to even stand a chance these days?

In this age of recession? When your other product (MtG) is a cash cow? When your boss is Hasbro who has very high expectations?

Yeah, it has to be a home run right from the start.

The sad part is that this is a really great game. I was skeptical at first about diceless skirmish but the actual gameplay won me over. Unlike many flash in the pan games, this one has loads of depth just waiting to be explored. I hope that if WotC drops the line, they allow a third party to continue with it. I'm not optimistic, however, because Hasbro has a long history of sitting on intellectual property rather than selling it.

Maybe we'll be surprised and the next DC set will be announced someday soon. Start praying! 
I don't know much about game releases, but I imagine that another set of Dungeon Command will come out after either Heart of Cormyr or Sting of Lolth has sold out.  And there are signs of that happening.  Amazon charges about $30 for the first two sets that were released, while it only charges $26 for the newest three warbands.  The most likely reason for this is that the first two sets are in relatively short supply.  

Lets all remember to be patient.  Though praying is also good advise.  Thank you Style75 for your good idea.  And it helps when we buy extra sets for our friends.  So far I have bough four warbands as gifts for friends.  If lots of us do that, we might find that a new set comes out soon.  I am hoping for a good set.  Four evil for every one good is not an acceptable statistic.  I find it a little dispiriting to play evil vs. evil.

At the end of the day, hopefully "real" D&D players purchase them - they are a huge market that wizards obviously wants to cater to, and the idea of non-random, themed, prepainted minitures for such a reasonable price has to be a great draw for them. I have a friend who DMs and he used to buy the randomized minis. He was often dissapointed when he'd open them up and find "another goddamn Huge Fiendish Spider". He has bought all the DC sets so far and I can see why - it's enough minis for a few related encounters, probably a whole session if you plan it right. Not to mention the maps are nice too.

tldr: hopefully dms buy lots of dc
Perhaps I am wrong, but there may be a PR issue here.  This game is great and unique on so many levels.  Its playable out of the box (or two boxes really).  I have used it to play miniatures games with non-gamers and that is generally impossible with most other miniatures systems that require a steeper learning curve and deeper financial investment.  Afterall $50-$60 to start is nothing when it comes to a miniatures game.

Yet there is enough flexibility in warband design to really make it interesting for more die hard gamers who want custom built warbands.

The gameplay mechanism is really good as well.

Yet Dungeon Command doesn't seem to be getting the advertising push it needs.  Particularly tournaments and other organized play events.  Compare it with the newish X wing minatures game.  Both are great IMHO - easy to pick-up, unique game play, yet lots of opportunity for specific list building.  Yet I see much more buzz on X-wing.  Part of it is the brand (Star Wars) obviously, but I also think FF did a better job pushing the game.  Dungeon Command could have been spun outside of the typical gamer circles in the same way X wing has been (e.g., X wing was sold in Target at the holiday season).  I had my wife (a non gamer) play both, and she likes Dungeon Command way more.  Note that X wing has had a few highly advertised gaming events.

The other issue is there needs to be more diverse Warbands.  I like all the bands myself and am really looking forward to the new ork warband.  But I also like to play the "bad guys."  It would be smart to get some more hero type bands going.  A dwarf warband, elves, "good monsters" (centaurs, etc.), etc.   Something akin to the diversity you see in Warhammer.  All of these in turn would have marketable value for D and D RPG players.

It would be smart to get some more hero type bands going.  A dwarf warband, elves, "good monsters" (centaurs, etc.), etc.   Something akin to the diversity you see in Warhammer.  All of these in turn would have marketable value for D and D RPG players.

I like your sentament.  And everyone knows I have made this same plea on multiple threads.  However, it is not impossible anymore for me to see the marketer's perspective.  They might be thinking that there are more dungeon masters who want evil themed miniatures. After all, most players don't want to attack good monsters.  But your idea regarding dwarfs or elves is good.  DMs sometimes need more playable characters.  Personally, I would like to have a bunch of centures, satyrs, and other benevelont looking creatures.  In my worldview, good people fight good creatures for all sorts of reasons.  But mostly, my view is that we need another good-aligned dungeon command faction.  The miniatures a distant secondary benefit. 

I'm hoping the game stays around and we get some more sets.  We'll see what happens.

I think what I love most about the game is that as DM, I've gotten a ton of use out of it.  The game is fantastic, and having more miniatures/map options is always good.  The treasure tokens give even more uses as well.

I've bought two of every set so far, and I plan on getting two of the new one next Tuesday.  I already have them reserved at my FLGS.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
I love this game.  Play it about once a week with friends and we always introduce someone knew to it.  I have all the sets and preordered orcs.  Hope they keep coming out with more...
I suppose we can't expect WoTC to guess what support is there, it has to be said here.

I just picked up two DC boxes, have played two games. I really like it, and hope to be able to find people to play with. My normal gaming group generally can't play very long games, and mostly only during work days not weekends; I'll see about playing with people at gaming nights at local stores - I just hope DC doesn't become too heavily unbalanced when a casual player (mixing at most two boxes) plays against the guys building their decks to maximum efficiency.

As a new outsider, I find these points the biggest bad marks:

1. WoTC official presence on forums lacking (I see it used to be somewhat present, but now just appears not to be there?)
2. No proper official FAQ/Errata collection - I mean there's a wiki, use it!

I honestly wouldnt hold my breath for any more sets.  As a D & D player.  I can say that although its nice to get the themed monsters.  Its not practical to have to purchase 3 boxes just to get an encounter's worth of Drow assassin/soldiers.  Not to mention there is nothing else in the box that is really useable.  Some might use the terrain but its not very modular for that purpose.  Now Obivously I know there are places that you can get singles from these sets (and yes Ive purchased them)  but I dont think that really helps with sales of the game. 

DC game itself is extremely fun and I do enjoy it.  I pick up atleast 2 of each set that comes out.  (though this last set doesnt have me very enthused)
Honestly I perfer the older sculps from Harbinger.  These new ones look like monkeys and the ogre is kinda lack luster.  The owlbear could be cool though.  I dont have any of those.  I have little faith that DC will continue but I do hope that they try something.  I have to admit though.  Reapers Bones looks to be better suited at meeting my D&D needs.

What I find disappointing is the lack of information from WOTC.  As a company they have just gone down hill.  (I dont even get their D&D produces, I play Pathfinder  but thats just a matter of taste)  The fact that it seems like they just abandon the forums and its customers is just not a good business model.   
To be fair, after spending time at Paizo forums where the developers constantly talk to it's consumers ... yeah ... it does seem pretty cold and lifeless here at times.  I love Dungeon Command and would love to know if this is it or if maybe we can get more down the road.

Sad there was only ONE "good guy" set versus all the monster/ evil things and I'm hoping we get at least 1 more before they bow out but I guess it's wait and see. 
Hey WOTC, I have never spent a dime on any D&D books although I have played 'DnD' for nearly 20 years.  I just used old books that friends bought years and years ago and when those got boring made my own homebrew system and setting entirely from scratch.  I also played video games nearly religiously for about 20 years but have not spent a cent on video games in the last 3 years (and in fact only bought 1 game in the last decade, that being Starcraft II).

However I will have spent about $500 on DC after the Orc box comes out.  That's because DC is a product that I can't easily reproduce on my own as a homebrew, or that I can't ever fully own and rely upon to work (like most modern video games due to bugs and DRM).  This is a product that you can really make money on WOTC.  I realise the numbers might not look good at the moment but this is seriously a potentially huge money maker for you WOTC.  Don't give up on it when you haven't even really tried to push it yet!
Personally I can only afford one of each set at the moment, but I know people at my FLGS that have bought four of each set. I play DC frequently and am constantly introducing new people to it with only two so far that are not keen on the game (and to be honest: one is just having a hissy-fit due to the one time he did win a tournament, there were only a few entrants so there was not enough money for prize support beyond the promo card. He has barely played since...)

I have even had people who don't like roleplaying, don't like D&D and don't have the patience for miniature games like Warhammer enjoy this game.

It is a good product with a lot of potential: I have recently come up with the idea of scenarios for example. I have a few tiles from other packs around and thought I would build say a city board and we could play one side invading the city, the other defending. Mechanically the game would be the same, just the tiles would differ. There is potential for themed mini-expansions: a group of six non-random elementals for example. Or how about some Elven Archers with different abilities, say one with a longer range, or another with a stronger bow. And how about tile packs that feature different environments: we could have official city tiles, a mountainous terrain, something more unusual like one of the other planes.

There is a lot of possibility here, here's hoping that Wizards can see the potential and continue the line.
I spent $80 dollars on this game today. That brings my total for the last six months up to $190. One set of Lolth, Undead, Gruumsh, and a bunch of singles from ebay and auggies. I'll probably pick up Gobbos and Cormyr to round out my collection after PAX Prime. Hell, I'm even considering attending Pax Prime to enter in the DC tourney. I hope they release more sets, take all my money!
My Dark Sun Campaign "Shards of a Broken Crown" http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shards-of-a-broken-crown
From todays D&D Podcast

www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4...

4:14
"This is the first of the dungeon command sets that features all new miniatures"

Therefore there are more sets featuring all new miniatures coming out

I realize this is a bit of a stretch but hey it's something and it's recent 
YES!  That one liner did more to boost my spirits than anything I've read in a while. This one simple statement is not proof that more sets are coming, but it is a positive sign coming from the people in charge. Very happy, now please tell us more!