Stealth!! Reactions!!

Need a little help with this, and here's the situation...

Are you able to move, attack, move , and then make a stealth check to hide again??
What is te action on stealth. Cause I have a rogue that was moving out from behind a pillar, throwing a dagger, moving back behind pillar, and rolling stealth again to hide. Is that allowed? It seems a lil op if you can. Help!
Also, about reactions like the fighters parry. Can you use that out of combat aswell to say block a flying chest or a falling rock, to avoid some damage?
Playtest Packet, "How to Play" document, pg. 13, section _Hide_  (one of the things you can do in your combat turn) states that "Under normal circumstances, trying to hide takes up your action".

So, you cannot both attack and hide during your turn, as the attack takes up your action.

Also, see Bestiary, pg. 51, entry _Goblin_, where their special ability "sneaky" enables them to try to hide after their move, without spending their action.   This ability woudn't be noteworthy if you could both hide and attack in the same turn normally. 

As for using a reaction out of combat, I would say that it sounds more like a traditional saving throw to me. 
Awesome! That's what I thought but couldn't find it. Great examples. And I also agree with the reaction as a save instead but would like to hear what others think. Thanks for fast reply
The Covert Strike feat will allow you to do it if your attack killed the target.
If you, as the DM, decide that the flying chest or falling rock is a melee attack and the fighter is holding his sword and/or shield then yes, he should be able to use his parry ability as a reaction (unless something else is preventing him from taking reactions). However, IMO, a falling rock or flying chest (!) would more appropriately be a missile of some kind, and thus not subject to being parried. I would say that, if walking through a dungeon, the fighter is the target of a spear trap, or something similar that requires you to make a melee attack action against him, then that would be subject to his parry.

Page 13 of the "how to play" document describes hiding during combat as follows:

Hide
In the middle of a battle, it is often advantageous to drop out of sight, but doing so can be tricky. Under normal circumstances, trying to hide takes up your action.

You can break up your move to move first, attack, and move back around the corner, but it's pretty clear that your next round's action would have to be just hiding in order to gain the benefits of hiding.
heh, apparently I'm a slow typer, since lots of folks posted as I typed. The fighter thing is unique though
Technically, the description of Parry, pg. 13, under _Benefit_,  starts with "When you are hit by a melee attack ...".  

Note:  not missile attacks.   And, by extension, not random falling/flying objects, which might possibly construed as a sort of environmental missile attack, but certainly not a melee attack.   

This is why I believe a Saving Throw is infinitely more applicable.   
Absolutely agree. I was trying to think of an out-of-combat reason to be holding your weapon/shield and came up with wandering around a dungeon, stumbling into traps. Traps also use a saving throw, but many of those can also be melee attacks. In that situation, it would make sense for the fighter to parry a bit of that damage away with his shield.
Sweet. On the whole reaction thing I have another question. I have a cleric that can cast divinity abilities. Now for this one...

Channel Shelter
When another creature within 30 feet of you takes damage, you can expend a use of your channel divinity as a reaction. When you do so, reduce the damage the creature takes by 10. If you are at least 11th level, reduce the damage by 20 instead.

It does say another creature so I take that as he can't use it on himself? And for the rest as spending it as a reaction, if my rogue was to try and disarm a trap and fail and takes damage, Can the cleric use this and shelter the PC to reduce 10 damage?

Thanks
Nothing is preventing them from taking reactions outside of combat. It's a useful in-combat control for how much you can do on other people's turns, but outside of combat, they're just actions they can do when they react to things.

Perfect example: Feather Fall. It can ONLY be cast as a reaction. If it could only be used in combat, the wizard who prepares it would be able to survive two hundred foot drops off a cliff only if something pushed them off and fighting was going on. Doesn't make much sense! 
Ahhh very true. Ok. And I guess if they want to use the Channel divinity for that they can. Ok cool. Thanks for te example. Makes sense
Sign In to post comments