4e and miniatures

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
hm...

Sorry if there's already an answer to my question, but I couldn't find it via forum search.

Are the miniatures in the diverse products by WotC the right scale to use them on 4e battle grids? 
yes.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
hm...

Many thanks! 
The minis in Conquest of Nerath, obviously, are not.  They are at a smaller scale so as to better represent mass warfare.

The minis from the D&D miniatures lines, the Adventure system games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt), the Beholder and Dragon collector's sets, Dungeon Command and so on are all sized properly for a 1" grid.  I just wish WotC were a bit more ... consistent with base sizes. I have some Large creatures that don't have 2" bases.  More like 1.5" or so.
I actually like the undersized bases, makes it easier to move the critter when it's surrounded by smaller figs.  Always seems to be horns or wings or weapons or something catching on the full-size large bases and causing chaos when I lift it.  Then again, that could just be my 8 DEX catching up with me. =)

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I have some Large creatures that don't have 2" bases.  More like 1.5" or so.

The WotC DDM line initially used 1.5" for large bases (since their Chainmail figures used these, and thus were compatible with bases from popular miniature wargames like Warhammer, and poker chip sizes).

WotC later switched to 2" bases to fix an issue where two 1.5" bases could fit in a 3"x3" area (creating inadvertent overlap).

To be completely honest I prefer Tokens, and Paizo's Cut out miniatures. I feel that they are more accurate to the monster. It shows what they really look like.

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

Games I Play:

D&D 4e - D&D 3.0  - Pathfinder - AD&D 2e - Call of Cthulhu - Legend of the Five Rings - 13th Age - World of Darkness - PTU - D&D B/X

To be completely honest I prefer Tokens, and Paizo's Cut out miniatures. I feel that they are more accurate to the monster. It shows what they really look like.

Maybe it's my weak vision, but I find tokens too east to confuse with each other.  Now the stand-up 2-D figures ought to be superior to miniatures for both space and cost, but somehow I have never got into them.

I see what you did there.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

I see what you did there.

Is he talking about using inappropriate miniatures as proxies for other creatures?
If so, I feel bad for you then. I have 99 hundred minis, but a proxy is not one.