"+1 to existing spellcaster level" - But I have multiple different existing spellcaster levels??

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you take a PrC which says "+1 to existing spellcaster level" and you've got levels in Sorcerer and Cleric then which spellcaster's level is advanced?

Is it strictly to the most recent level taken or is it to whichever spellcaster you choose?

Also, is there anything published in a book to explain clearly??
This answer is easy, but yet hard to expain.  You choose, EACH level, but that means that you have to keep very exact records.  I will get back to you with examples, but right this moment, my wife wants candy and the store closes in 30 minutes.

Look at pretty much any PrC that offers that. They'll all say something like "if you have more than one spellcasting class, you choose which is increased at each level". If you want one that adds to both cleric & sorcerer, check out the Mystic Theurge in the DMG. If you want an example of a class that only adds to one, AND SPECIFIES WHICH ONE IT MUST BE, check out the Ultimate Magus in Complete Mage. It's a spontaneous/prepared arcane Theurge class that has some levels that specify which class the added level must be added to.
Two... Ah ah ah! Three.. Ah ah ah! Four... Ah ah ah! Six... Ah ah ah!!
88534793 wrote:
Punctuation exists for a reason, and your neglect of the shift key is to the point where Social Services should be involved.
Generally, you will get to select any spellcasting you have to advance when it is worded like that.  Do not that what you advance must actually have "spellcasting" and can not advance a class that advances another; this is my way of saying that you couldn't use that ability to advance the spellcasting of a Mystic Theruge because the MT does NOT have spellcasting of its own.
I had to pull up a long retired character to show you this, and I don't know if it will make any sense to you, because my brain works one way, whilst yours might work another way. But this was a Mystic Theuge of mine, back in the day:

The first line was his normal classes.
The MT (mystic theuge) is the levels 11-20

He added levels of W & C from character level 11-16
He then switched, adding levels of W & D from 17-20

(the final parantheses are just to remind me of what level spells he can cast in those classes)

I'm sorry if other nomenclature makes no sense to you, but I don't have a better way to put it, not this late in the evening.

Neue

Thanks guys.
The PrC in question was Fleshwarper.
As soon as I knew where to look the answer was spelled out clearly (no pun intended).

Cheers.
Good. 

I hope you figured out that I forgot to mention that that character had practiced spellcaster in all 3 classes, I didn't think about that when I screenshotted it.
If you take a PrC which says "+1 to existing spellcaster level" and you've got levels in Sorcerer and Cleric then which spellcaster's level is advanced?

Is it strictly to the most recent level taken or is it to whichever spellcaster you choose?

Also, is there anything published in a book to explain clearly??

ok, al PrC in her Spell per Day/Spell Know or Spell class feature explains this.

When you gain a level in a PrC that say "+1 to existing spellcaster level" this means that you can select any ONE of your existing spellcaster class and COUNT as one level high only in her Spell Class feature

As example

A Wizard 5 with 1 LV in a PrC like this

Have CL 6, Spells as a Level 6 wizard and Gain new Spells as if he was had a level in the wizard class but he don't gain the Skills, Hit dice, saves, BA and other factors out of spell Class feature in this points you gain all the one described in your prestige class.

be careful Some PrC say "+1 to existing Wizard level" or "+1 to existing Divine Spellcasting Level" or "+1 to Exiting Arcane Spellcasting level" this mean that in the first case you can only apply this to your wizard class, the second only to one Divine Spellcasting class that you have and in the last only to a Arcane Spellcasting class.

Exist to other form of say it like "+1 to exisiting spontaneous Arcane Spellcasting level" this means that you can only apply this to a class that are arcane and cast spontaneous spells.

At last when this entry appears you need select one of your Spellcasting class that match with the restriction and you count as one level high but only in the Spell Class feature or in the spellcasting abilities of that class (how many cast, how many know, CL, ETC.).
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.