I'm Buying D&DN

Even if it is the worst game ever I have decided today to buy D&DN. Dropping $100 or whatever for 3 books is not big deal for me and even if I do not like it I can add it to the shelf. Its my reward to WoTC for bringing back the PDFs. Its still very rough but I just don't care what they do to the game mechanically anymore. Theres alot I do not like in D&DN and a little I do like but they're making the effort anyway and theres a few PFs I want if I can get the website to work.

Against the Giants adapted to second ed hmmmnn.

Fear is the Mind Killer

If it's not worth my money it's not worth my money. If WotC isn't showing me any loyalty I'm not going to show it any loyalty.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.

If it's not worth my money it's not worth my money. If WotC isn't showing me any loyalty I'm not going to show it any loyalty.

A reasonable attitude; it's your money. I get confused about the loyalty part though. For me, brand loyalty is what prompts me to pick it up and look through it in the first place. It prompts me to get into the playtest and post on these boards about what I'd like and so on, but in no way does it make me expect that the company has any loyalty to me whatsoever.

I consider buying a product whether you like it or not is equally weird.

For myself, I will continue to follow what D&D is doing 'cause I'm loyal to the brand. Doesn't mean I'll buy it.

Zardnaar, Buddy I have to tell you. I have been playing Pathfinder for about a month or so, since I saw the Last playtest. A friend of mine recomended it. I am probably not going to buy Next unless alot of change takes place before the release. As you know, I prefer to play AD&D anyway and have been playing it for 25 years. The pdf's are just a drop in the bucket for me. It's going to take alot more than that to get my attention. I.E. an open archive for Tsr D&D to draw from. Then I'll buy that up and wait for my local gamestore to host some free games before I commit to Next. Besides my group digs P.F. for their New school fix and I am pleased with it thus far. All my local retailers Heavily stock and sell Pathfinder.
One thing I miss is dead tree format on a shelf. No FLGS since 2008.I think it was the end of 2010 since I last visted a gamestore maybe 2009?

Fear is the Mind Killer

Really? Wow I have 5 Gamestores within a 25 mile radius from my home. Lets see..

Fantasy Game world in Chico- Big time P.F. dealer. holds weekly games.

Kettles Keep in Chico
_ Warhammer and Pathfinder, Wargamer store. He hosts a Pathfinder and AD&D campaign in the store. This dude is a awesome guy, sells me books and the reprints 20% off and charges no Tax. I bought all my P.F. there for $75 Bought all my reprints for AD&D for under $90 with no tax and he threw in dice.

Bat Comics in Chico- Second edition on the shelves here, He buys peoples collections and resells them. Has a bit of 4e on the shelf, not much, he's a 4e enthusiest.

A Place to Game in Marysville- Pathfinder and 4e on the shelf- no 4e groups to play with.

Heroes Hideout in Yuba City.- Abandoned all Wotc D&D and now only peddles Magic does Wargames and Major Comic sales. 
I prefer the Paper books on my shelf. I'm old fashioned. I Go to the stores  once per month. 
                                    Support your local Gamestore folks!
My brand loyalty is already coming into play in the form of my initial interest in and continued tracking of DDN. I don't know that I'd neccessarily purchase it no matter what, though. I have a reasonable but still limited amount of cash for entertainment, and while RPG products are in general a pretty efficient use of entertainment dollars (if I get even a single shortish-medium campaign out of most products, that's pretty good), there's plenty of TTRPG stuff I'd like to buy before I'm buying games I don't really want. Even if money was no object at all, buying products I don't really want sends a weird message to the market. I don't want to be telling the market to please keep making more things that I don't really want. If you like that they've brought back the PDFs, the best thing you can do is buy those. Buy lots of them. Buy them for friends. Wizards isn't a huge company. If D&D is anything like Magic, individual products are evaluated (in part) based on how they sell, and we get more things like the stuff that does well and stop getting things like the stuff that does not.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
I plan to give D&D:Next 1 full year to produce the style of game I desire (or multiple styles). This means giving them the benefit of the doubt that they may not launch my style of game for the first few months or even upon release. These options include ways of making non-standard characters and interesting concepts that fall outside traditional Tolkein-esque elements in addition to quasi-magical maneuvers for Fighters and ways to put specific classes into "roles".

But, after a full year, the game it fails to provide the sort of style I'm looking for then I probably won't buy it at all. I can only hope that they maintain my online tools for 4E so that at least a bit of money goes to them to support an edition that I enjoy. And this really falls into how they manage the Forgotten Realms. I hear the "Sundering" is going to revert some (if not many) of the changes that occured to 4E and I, for one, quite enjoy those changes. So if the Realms books tend to be full of D&D:Next mechanics that I'll never use, then my enjoyment of them will probably fall off as well. I'll still keep up with the novels of my favorite authors.   

Guess I'm kind of in Diffan's camp.

lets get this out also, there are many better systems than next, scores of them, however Next has what they dont... brand recognition and a large place in the market simply because of that.

If your like me and live in a small town, that is HUGELY important if you want to play a new RPG in that most sceptical players want to play something they are some what familar with, something that has new and interesting products to buy, something that stimulates their interest... right now that game is Pathfinder and if D&D Next wants to take that slot of best and most played game it will have to do many things better than Pathfinder does.

One thing it must do for me is bring back the nostalgic feel I dont really get with PF and its high magic high fantasy setting.

It must also strive to eliminate the gross optimization that goes on in PF simply to sell more books.

It must also create a game that is complete by itself and lasts without more necessary purchaces, IE there better be all AD&D/core classes in the PH.

The modular rules systems must actually be modular, varied, fully complete and work without much tinkering and twisting with houserules.  

If D&D Next cant do these things, I'll just stick with a houserulled PF.

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax
 D&D still has brand recognition and TSR era campaign settings and a few exclusive monsters.

Fear is the Mind Killer

dndnext will be the greatest dnd ever.   The Beta was a brilliant idea.   With the community beating on the rules for so long, how can we go wrong?   Just because we find things we think are bad now doesn't mean that it won't be fixed.   blanger!
I've bought every edition from basic through 4e.  Even if I don't play it, I still think it will be worth owning to mine for ideas.  Chances are, I will play it since it will be the supported edition and I do have some sense of loyalty to the brand, not so much for WotC's sake but for my own connection with D&D over the past 30 years.

I like the idea that it will be rules light with layers.  That's basically how I've used D&D all along.   If it makes it easy for me to DM and I can find players, it will be the game I play (and so far it has been very easy to DM and the players I'm testing it with seem to like it enough even at this point).  I look forward to seeing more in it as we test over the next year, and I will trust the designers (even if I get burnt).

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

D&D still has brand recognition and TSR era campaign settings and a few exclusive monsters.

Brand recognition helps getting new people started, that much is evident. But brand recognition only goes so far with established players. Further, can you honestly say WotC has done a good job with TSR's multitude of Campaign settings? I mean, aside from the Forgotten Realms, only Eberron and Dark Sun have really seen any sign of light in the past decade. Greyhawk was only included because it took the place of "CORE" for v3.5 and it was roughly shoehorned in from what I gather (I never played in Greyhawk setting, to be honest). Would I like to see them put out more inforamtion for Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Spelljammer, Ravenloft (this espically) in addition to FR, Eberron, DS, and the new Nentir Vale? Yes, yes I would. I think that is the key to modularity they're looking for. It allows them to create a whole swath of new content that works best within a specific setting. Sure, not everyone is going ot buy all the different settings but I'd like to see some sort of beginner's box for each. 

Think about it like this, If you want a D&D:Next campaign to be dark, gothic, horror then look no further to the Realms of Horror boxed set with supplemental rules on creating a horrifying campaign. And you can set this style of game in a complete setting called Ravenloft. Oh, you want a game that focuses on the stars and space? Then check out the Realms of Stars with supplemental rules on creating a space campaign and here, you can check out the official Spelljammer setting where you can set these rules and play right from the get-go. Did I hear Steampunk? Check out the Realms of Mechanus where rules supplement your 19th century meets magic campaign in a beautiful blend of machines and the arcane and of cousre, check out our Eberron Campaign Setting that details such aspects as fighting robots with artifical intelligence called Warforged and strange houses with Dragonmarks lead the way of deisgn and innovation for the globe. 

This is how I'd market the varying supplements anyhow. That way, any starting gamer can look at the cover and realise that with the Core rules and these supplement rules, it'll give him the best Insert Preferred Style campaign out there. And that there's an official campaign setting that goes along with the rules. So I could have D&D:Next style space marine campaign or a High Fantasy style game with the Forgotten Realms or a Steampunk game with Eberron but i'm not tied to that campaign setting if I choose not to.       

I'm likely to buy it and unlikely to play it, at current time.

I like reading RPG books.  I get a lot of time to read.  I do not, however, get a lot of time to actually play RPGs; so my threshold of 'buy for reading and maybe steal some ideas' is much lower than my threshold of 'buy to play'.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

Even if it is the worst game ever I have decided today to buy D&DN. Dropping $100 or whatever for 3 books is not big deal for me and even if I do not like it I can add it to the shelf. Its my reward to WoTC for bringing back the PDFs. Its still very rough but I just don't care what they do to the game mechanically anymore. Theres alot I do not like in D&DN and a little I do like but they're making the effort anyway and theres a few PFs I want if I can get the website to work.

I really think I am going to buy it too. I really like the direction Next is moving and I feel like I will take the plunge. I've played every iteration and always adopted the new ruleset, except 4th. I am not bashing it, and for the love of God please do not start an edition war, but I would like the say the reason I did not adopt it is to me it didn't feel like D&D to me. It looked like a really fun game system, and there are elements about it I absolutely love, but it just wasn't for me. Today, I actually feel like I should have given it a shot and if a game ever appears in my area, I'll try it for academic reasons if nothing else.

I stuck with 3.5e and still play this to this day. I've tried many other systems, but none of them compete with my love for D&D. The fact that so much work is being put into Next is amazing to me. There are things I like and things I dislike, but the things I dislike are rare and also things that can be easily mitigated. What I think Next will evolve into will be something I can break out my massive AD&D 2nd ed Planescape books and it fit right in.
Do you have an opinion on what campaign settings should be printed in D&D Next? If so, please cast your votes in this poll! Poll: What campaign settings do you want to see printed in D&D Next?
If you're ecstatic about the PDF thing, why not spend that $100 on PDFs? You'd be happier, and WotC would be clearer on what you appreciate.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I can do both alter_boy.

Fear is the Mind Killer

I really think I am going to buy it too. I really like the direction Next is moving and I feel like I will take the plunge. I've played every iteration and always adopted the new ruleset, except 4th. I am not bashing it, and for the love of God please do not start an edition war, but I would like the say the reason I did not adopt it is to me it didn't feel like D&D to me. It looked like a really fun game system, and there are elements about it I absolutely love, but it just wasn't for me. Today, I actually feel like I should have given it a shot and if a game ever appears in my area, I'll try it for academic reasons if nothing else.

I stuck with 3.5e and still play this to this day. I've tried many other systems, but none of them compete with my love for D&D. The fact that so much work is being put into Next is amazing to me. There are things I like and things I dislike, but the things I dislike are rare and also things that can be easily mitigated. What I think Next will evolve into will be something I can break out my massive AD&D 2nd ed Planescape books and it fit right in.

Ditto.

Funnily enough I have been running a Planescape campaign for 8 years, started with 3rd Ed (became unwieldy at high levels, too fiddly), then we adopted the 4th Ed rules-set, after DMing 6 or 7 sessions (about 3 to 5 months for us) I became disillusioned, started perusing my pre-3rd Ed stuff to amalgamate a system I dig out of Basic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Ed, when a year or so comes by and they announce 5th Ed, well, I am a fan, since the 1st packet (the best one).

One of my favourite parts of 5th Ed is ease of conversion, you can drop some things almost whole-cloth into the chassis, like the Incarnate class.

And of course I will buy it, if anything, to add to the vault.

I guess that's cool, bro.  I can think of a lot of things to do with $100, though, so unless DDN is good, I won't be buying it.  I could buy a python(plus cage and such), or a stupid amount of beer, or two video games, or I could eat out at the chinese place and flirt with the asian waitresses ten times.  I'll absoutely give it every chance, post-publication, to gain my favor, though.  As a 4e-fan, I'd feel terrible if I didn't give a new ed a try, even though it might not look great to me at first.  After all, I didn't like 4e at first, either.  But in the end, I'm only going to part with dollars when I defintely like what I'm receiving in return.  Dollars won't leave my pocket until I know I'll enjoy what I get in return.  I know that I enjoy domesticated reptiles, alcohol, video games, and chinese food/girls, but I do not yet feel assured that I will like DDN.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
or I could eat out at the chinese place and flirt with the asian waitresses ten times.

I'll take that over D&D anytime.
hell, i am not willing to put 100 bucks on a system i like all of the sudden...that's quite alot of money for me...(3rd World Country)
or I could eat out at the chinese place and flirt with the asian waitresses ten times.

I'll take that over D&D anytime.

I'd take it more consistently if the waitresses at my local chinese restaurant were cuter, but about half of them are just okay.

I mean it's always good to practice one's flirting, but it's best if you have the really cute waitresses. 
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Pash is all "Hey Baby.. wanna roll my dice"? Good times.Embarassed Eating Chop suey and rice, kisses and Sake and polyhedron dice!
Pash is all "Hey Baby.. wanna roll my dice"? Good times.Embarassed Eating Chop suey and rice, kisses and Sake and polyhedron dice!

It's true.  I get people to play at the table then invite the waitress in.
Sign In to post comments