Im hoping we will have a super cheap version of the ruleset to buy

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Im ok with the big books and everything... I like them!   But what'd be cool is if we have a real low priced artless black and white book.   It shouldn't be hardcover.   Maybe the print should be small.   Dnd Next in a bottle.

The reason I'm thinking that this would be good is that having a cheap introduction to Dnd next should make our gaming community larger.   The fancy is good.   But with a cheapo version to pick up we can hope for a more massive gaming community.   Lower price, more people purchasing.

Then when they find they like it, they can go and get the more deluxe hard cover versions of the rules.

They could even go crazier and have the eventual Dndnext version be a free download.   That'd help get things out to the maximum amount of people.

cheap!
Why not? Conan had a pocket edition. I see no reason why D&D shouldn't.
Mike Mearls said something about a boxed set for levels 1-10, i'm guessing this will be the cheap version (something like 25-30$).
What they need is a Basic Box version that has the "Essential" aspects of the game. This should be marketed to those who Don't enjoy a multiude of character creation options such as Dragonborn, Tieflings, Warlords, Warlocks, Feats, Skills, An expanded list of spells and maneuvers, etc. It should be extreamly basic in it's approach to the game. The core rules on a few pages along with the 4 base races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling) and 4 base classes (Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard). The Fighter could get like 3 maneuvers, the Rogue a few skill tricks, the Cleric and Wizard a standard array of basic and classic spells. The monsters should range from the low-level classics (Kobolds, Goblins, Orcs) to Dragons, a Beholder, perhaps a lich and Mind Flayers. It's cost should be about half of the Full Version of the game. This way, a DM who enjoys a more traditionalists game doesn't have to bother with tons of options that he will either A) No use or B) not allow.

To be honest, I think an ultra cheap version should go for printing and shipping costs only. Sell 'em for a quid. The basic rules should be free to download anyway so there's no reason why they can't print the 16 pages and sell them at cost.
I really enjoyed the $20 price point for the 3E PHB.  I thought that was a great way to get people into the hobby. Hell, that's why I bought it and started roleplaying.  I figured $20 wasn't too big a deal.

I really enjoyed the $20 price point for the 3E PHB.  I thought that was a great way to get people into the hobby. Hell, that's why I bought it and started roleplaying.  I figured $20 wasn't too big a deal.

I admit I balk at the $30 price point. Especially if I have to buy three books to get the core rules.

$30 is fine if the core rulebook is the core rulebook and you don't need anything else.

guys, I'm not suggesting that WOTC sell the core for a loss!   You know like Microsoft did with that XBox thing.
The pdf version of this game should be competitively priced - about 10 dollars, with a one-time print-out coupon for 8 dollars off a hard-copy of the game book.

By the same token, the hard-copy of the game book should come with a one-time discount code printed on the reciept for a free pdf of the game.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

I would like to see a "starter" book similar to the Second Edition The Arcanum. 175 pages combined DMG and PHB, giving 32 classes, 9 magic school each with their own spell list, magic item creation rules, around 100 skills, and all the rest of the rules you need to play. 
I imagine this would be the most simple thing to do with the Basic rule set.

Package all the straight-jacket classes, some monsters, some DM advice and an adventure or two in a box and presto - cheap introduction rules.
Well, DDNext is currently a free download off of WotC's website. Save it to your computer for future enjoyment?

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Id guess at some point there going to stop releasing stuff.   There may be alot of development after that happens... the beta cold be junk in comparison to what is ultimately released in paper.
guys, I'm not suggesting that WOTC sell the core for a loss!   You know like Microsoft did with that XBox thing.

All game console manufacturers do this (though, I believe Nintendo didn't with the Wii).  They sell the hardware at a loss and make up the deficit and more through software sales and licensing fees to third-party developers.

Unfortunately, the RPG market is not at all like the video game market.  The bulk of sales come from core rulebooks (the hardware), and adventures and splat books (the software) see much lower sales.

Also unfortunately, the RPG market is trending higher.  Look at FFG's core book prices.  They're incredibly high.  The core book for Deathwatch is $60.  Of course, FFG does put out a high-quality product, and I'm sure that Games Workshop's license isn't cheap, judging by the prices of their miniatures.

I'd love that $20 price point again, but it's a long time since 2000, and inflation is a harsh mistress.  I'd   expect Next to follow the same pricing convention of 4E: $30 for core books, $30-35 for splats, based on page count, and varying prices for adventures, depending on length.  At least I'm hoping they don't go any higher.
i just wait for a scan to torrent. its a shame they blame printing costs when wotc hasnt printed in the us ever for dnd. they have some poor 5 year old in a chinese factory doing it and pay him a nickel a day lol
I will bet cash money that WOTC releases a free app that contains starter rules, pregen characters, and an introductory adventure. From there they can monetize by getting users to buy additional content or subscribe to online tools. It's a no brainer. The fixation on print products is outdated.