The Keep on 16th and Valencia: Temple of the Sky God #1 (of 5)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Keep on 16th and Valencia
Temple of the Sky God #1 (of 5)

By Jason Thompson

The players in "St. Cuthbert’s D&D Encounters for Troubled Youth" youth group have returned to try their hand at D&D Lair Assault. In this series, we check on their experiences with Temple of the Sky God.

Talk about this cartoon here.

Article Header Image

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I like this comic, but the underlying confusion that one is talking about pen&parer and the other is talking about MMO simply would not exist. I don't know many D&D players who don't know about MMOs, and certainly none who woud have been introduced to it via a delinquency program. And nobody who plays an MMO would refer to it as an RPG without stating which MMO they are playing and asking for yours. So for me, the premise necessary for this strip fails up front.

I hope it improves.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
The thing is...the character are basically children, preteen and a teen, and they seem to have dedicated alot of their time to D&D and PnP RPG, chances of being exposed to MMORPGs is lower, it would also depends on the home enviorement.  There are families where exposure to digital media and internet is very limited by the family's rules.
I like the mounts they chose:
Bulette
Purple worm
Tendriculos
Gelatinous Cube

The 3.5e 'Arms and Equipment Guide' actually had rules for using Purple Worms and Gelatinous Cubes as mounts (by riding riding inside them):

"Amulet of Ooze Riding: Any time the wearer of this amulet comes into contact with an ooze, a sphere of force springs up around the wearer. The sphere prevents any contact with an ooze and protects the wearer from direct attacks by oozes. Caster Level: 7th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Otiluke’s resilient sphere; Market Price: 28,000 gp."

"Riding on the outside of a purple worm is impossible, so mind flayers ride inside it. They place an irritant inside a purple worm’s mouth that causes the growth of a large cyst. After a cyst reaches roughly 6 feet in diameter, the illithid drains its new “cyst saddle” and rides in the worm’s mouth."

fwiw: the Tendriculos also had a swallow whole ability. However, I have no idea how the Bulette rider would be able to use her mount's burrowing ability.

---
Anecdote: during a ReturntoTempleofElementalEvil campaign, the party was having trouble making frequent, long treks back to the city to obtain needed magical items (as the DM loved rolling up wondering monsters).

Luckily, a random Bulette encounter gave my necromancy PC an idea. We hallowed out the dead bulettes and re-animated them, allowing us (with a few other measures) to ride comfortably inside. The unfatigable 'Bulette Express' became our primary mode of traversing long distances while avoiding the wildlife.