Elspeth Tirel/Knight-Errant return?

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just wondering, does anyone think either versions of the Planeswalker will return? Started playing magic well after Tirel was not legal in standard anymore, which is a bit annoying since both are my favorite Planeswalkers.
Also my favorite walker. I'm sure she's got a strong fanbase so she'll show up again but when? What was the last anyone saw of her storywise? I'm always a bit lagged on the storylines.
well... there's already an izzet one isn't there?

So xD 
I wouldn't mind seeing Elspeth Tirel printed in M14 as the white planeswalker. However, I would also want Koth of the Hammer printed as the red 'Walker and Chandra's been all but confrimed for M14.

I would like Elspeth 1 or Elspeth 3 in M14 as the Planeswalker of white.
Also my favorite walker. I'm sure she's got a strong fanbase so she'll show up again but when? What was the last anyone saw of her storywise? I'm always a bit lagged on the storylines.

She was on Mirrodin/New Phyrexia last time we saw her.      
I wouldn't mind seeing Elspeth Tirel printed in M14 as the white planeswalker. However, I would also want Koth of the Hammer printed as the red 'Walker and Chandra's been all but confrimed for M14.

Koth is trapped on Mirrodin, but let's be honest money is greater than canon.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Aside from the storylines (which I have no actual knowledge of - I can't find mtg books anywhere near my place), we have no confirmation of when elspeth would be back.

Don't worry, she'll be back, soon enough. Her story's not over yet. 

Also, OP, welcome to the forums! :D 
Eh.

No likey Elspeth 2?
I am Blue/Black

Koth is trapped on Mirrodin, but let's be honest money is greater than canon.

He's not trapped, he merely refuses to leave.  And there is nothing saying they couldn't have a card in a core set depicting someone/something on Mirrodin.
My predicitons: M14 will have

- a new green planeswalker card (probably Garruk 4)
- a new Chandra (already confirmed)
- a new blue planeswalker (probably Jace 5 or a Tamiyo reprint)
- [C]Ajani, Caller of the Pride[/C] and [C]Liliana of the Dark Realms[/C] will be in M14 again.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

She was on Mirrodin/New Phyrexia last time we saw her.      

Ah yes, right. Thanks. Wow, Mirrodin Beseiged seems like such a long time ago.

Elspeth 3?

I hope for a new (and more useful) Nissa.
Regardless what planeswalkers we'll see, I'm always more happy about new cards than reprints. The more the merrier.

So naturally I hope for:
New Chandra for red, new Nissa for green, a cc3 Elspeth for white, new Sorin for black and new Tami for blue.
But I guess at least 2/5 will be reprints?

+1 I agree. Aljani is cool and I'm not a huge fan of Gideon plus he is in GC... not that they haven't done such things before.

Anyone think we need more black, green, and red walkers? I mean eesh, Chandra... Chandra... Tibalt.. and more Chandra.

Black I guess we have Liliana forever? Green Garruk... Maybe M14 they'll give Nissa another go?
Thanks for the posts guys, glad to see some others have the same tastes Wink.

I also like to see new cards as well, but a reprint of Elspeth for M14 (or even in the next block!) would be fantastic IMO. And yes I agree with Darkwolfer, we need more Black planeswalkers too...

Nissa is a pretty decent card as well.

New Planeswalker cards tend to get two core set printings, so I'd say Ajani, Caller of the Pride and Liliana of the Dark Realms will be reprinted in M14, while the green, blue and red spots will have new cards and/or reprints from some block. Apparently, the red will be a new Chandra; there's still a chance Jace and Garruk will be replaced for this set.

So no, I don't think Elspeth will show up in M14.

[<o>]
The Chandra M14 art isn't a planeswalker art, it's just promotional material art.  It doesn't necessarily mean that she's getting a new card.    
Jace being replaced? Maybe if enough people request it. Otherwise, not likely. Generally, Planeswalkers originating from blocks like Gideon and Sorin don't get new cards on their first core set printing, they use prexisting cards, likely the first or most recent depiction. Likewise, if Nissa is printed in M14 or another core set before she gets a new card in block, it will likely mean elf tribal. Granted, Wizards makes the rules so I could be wrong, but it seems to me those are the rules they want to follow.

Since Elspeth has already had two PW cards and the latter uses her proper name, is less in-demand for Modern (Elspeth, Knight-Errant is likely to appear in Modern Masters), and synergizes well with most of the white guild mechanics, she'd make a perfect choice for the M14 white walker. Ajani and Gideon have already had their turns, so why not Elspeth too? But Ajani, Caller of the Pride's only had one shot in a core set so far so chances are we'll have to wait until M15 to see someone new. Likewise for Liliana of the Dark Realms and the spot of black walker.

Koth would be a prime red walker for M14 since he focuses on Mountains and RTR just so happens to have four certain Mountain cards that would allow Koth to be played effectively in nonmonored decks.

The Chandra M14 art isn't a planeswalker art, it's just promotional material art.  It doesn't necessarily mean that she's getting a new card.    

Magic 2011, and 2012 both used actual card art for their "Announcing..." pages, and this card art follows the proportions for Planeswalker art.

That could be new art for Chandra, the Firebrand, but it could just as likely be a 3rd core set Chandra. Which would make her the first planeswalker to get a third core set version.

Here's my guesses

-New black Sorin

-Hopefully a new blue guy though Jace is still cool

-Gideon Jura maybe, though as he was in the block, I'd just say Ajani

-New Chandra
-New Garuuk   
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
I maybe the only one with this thought, but the planeswalkers in the Core sets should just be reprints of mono-colored walkers that are about to be cycled out, and only make a new one if there isn't one cycling out.

If we followed that we'd have Elspeth 2, Jace 3, Koth, Liliana 2, and perhaps a New Green... personally, I'm sick of Garruk
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Actually, it seems that Tibalt might be new in Sorin vs. Tibalt. I doubt he will replace Chandra, though.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg
Actually, it seems that Tibalt might be new in Sorin vs. Tibalt.

What are you basing this on?  It hasn't happened before, and I'm sure it won't this time.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Tezzeret the Seeker could make a good core set blue walker if they want to push artifacts a bit. It could be interesting to give the original five a break and see a cycle of Elspeth Tirel, Tezzeret the Seeker, Sorin Markov, Koth of the Hammer, and Nissa Revane as the planeswalkers for a core set.

With the odd cards that have showed up recently involving artys i wouldnt be shocked if artts show up soon...seems kinda early but who knows...also this is the 20th anvsry set so anything is possible...i know its soon but i would love to see a rerurn to lorwyn next block!

A modified Sarkhan Vol could be intresting as well for a dual green/red. Although we have the new planeswalker coming out with gatecrash thats a green red (forgot the name).

I doubt he will replace Chandra, though.

Seriously, I'd rather play Chandra Ablaze than play Tibalt.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Did any of you guys look at Islands' red deck w/tibalt? He seems to have found a way.
I am Blue/Black
That could be new art for Chandra, the Firebrand, but it could just as likely be a 3rd core set Chandra. Which would make her the first planeswalker to get a third core set version.

It's exponentially more likely to be a new card. They don't make new art for a card if they don't need to. A huge part of recognizability is, well, being recognizable.
Planeswalkers are the iconic cornerstones of Magic, it doesn't make any sense for them to make new art for them if they don't have to because they want players to recognize at a glance which iteration of whatever character they're looking at?   

Did any of you guys look at Islands' red deck w/tibalt? He seems to have found a way.

Link?

Magic 2011, and 2012 both used actual card art for their "Announcing..." pages, and this card art follows the proportions for Planeswalker art.

Well then now i'm just sad, because that art is deplorable.   
she looks less... outraged.

is she... SMILING?! 

Link?

Here
I am Blue/Black
I think a reprint of Tamiyo is more likely than more Jace.  Jace 4 is in this block, which makes a reprint of Jace 3 or a new Jace both less likely.  Tamiyo is a popular and very non-parisitc walker that is cycling out of standard, being played, but not format defining.  Storywise, she is located in a popular setting (Innistrad) and faring from a love/hate setting (Kamigawa).
I think a reprint of Tamiyo is more likely than more Jace.  Jace 4 is in this block, which makes a reprint of Jace 3 or a new Jace both less likely.  Tamiyo is a popular and very non-parisitc walker that is cycling out of standard, being played, but not format defining.  Storywise, she is located in a popular setting (Innistrad) and faring from a love/hate setting (Kamigawa).

This is highly unlikely. Tamiyo has only a cult following. And as much as many of us dislike Jace, and dislike seeing Jace all the time, he's the face of magic. I doubt we'll ever see the sweet day he is absent from a core set.
Tamiyo has more of a following than Sorin Markov.  I just can't see three Jaces out of five consecutive sets.
I think I just had a dream where Elspeth and Liliana were working together to help some cat/squirrel people escape from some evil human professors.
Take that as you will.
I am hoping for Knight-Errant.  Its a better one and also 3 times more expensive.  I think it might be the third most expensive PW behind JTMS and the three drop Liliana?  After INN rotation then she will probably be the second most expensive.

Why do people prefer Tirel in this thread?

Also hoping that Tamiyo comes back.

As far as Koth, core sets do not follow story line.  They are a just a place to put cards to help supply standard.
I would agree that Elspeth, Knight-Errant is the better card in most cases.
Elspeth Tirel synergizes quite well with token/populate/Boros Charm and has yet to be reprinted though.

It doesn't bother me much personally but that might have something to do with my foil playset of Knight-Errant. =x
For one, I like the use of Elspeth's full name. Two, I suspect Knight-Errant's a major contender for Modern Masters and I doubt they'll want to print the same card twice in two closely adjacent sets one of which is designed to provide players with a slightly larger supply of value cards. The fact Knight-Errant is better to most is precisely why I don't think she's getting printed in M14 when she can contribute to the value pool of MM.

Anyway, as I'm sure I've said before, Elspeth Tirel would synergize well with the white guilds. Her +2 heals you and encourages Boros and Selesnya's strategies while also fitting Azorius and Orzhov, her -2 enables Battalion and works well with Populate, and her -5 protects your Populated tokens. Elspeth, Knight-Errant was designed for Exalted decks while Tirel was obviously designed with Battle cry in mind, which again makes her a fine candidate for Battalion.

Either Elspeth would be welcome, of course, but I feel Tirel would suit the current standard just a bit better.

Tamiyo, the moon sage sound like a solid candidate for blue.

Then again, I wouldn't rule out Jace X.0... wouldn't want that, but it might happen.

To autocard: [c]Killer Whale[/c] ⇒ Killer Whale

Sign In to post comments