Blue/Red Niv-Mizzet Deck

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's based around the cards from DotP 2013 so this is what i've came up with, what do you guys think? it actually looks not too shabby, especially considering as how i'm terrible at making decks.

Creatures:
4 Gelectrode
Steamcore Weird
Dominus of Fealty
Mindwrack Liege
Galvanoth
2 Conquering Manticore
2 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
Thunder Dragon

Sorceries/Instants/Enchantments:

Mana Leak
Act of Treason
1 Breaking Point
1 Beacon of Destruction
Compulsive Research
Electrolyze
1 Quicksilver Dagger
Prophetic Bolt
2 Time Warp
2 Arc Lightning

Lands:

2 Izzet Boilerworks
2 Izzet Guildgate
10 Mountain
10 Island

EDIT: MY GOD CARD TAGGING FOR THIS WAS HORRIBLE! I had to tag one card at a time, click post, click edit and repeat or else everything would go on some huge slant! -_________-
A 6 cmc creature needs some ramp to get out efectively. Ramp in blue/red is tricky but the best case would be a coalition relic you can play and put a counter on turn 3 to turn 4 have 6 power. I suggest dropping the time warps for them.

As an additional ramp strategy you should play 4 izzet boilerworks, not two and 2 guildgates.

Steamcore weird is just bad. If you want that functionality run murderoue redcap instead.

If you are going to commit any resources to taking over other creatures you need some way to sacrifice them for effect. In red fling is good for that

Quicksilver dagger is only good in very limited circumstances, nothing you are running qualifies. Nizzy really wants you to run at least one lightning greaves

Galvanoth needs some form of library manipulation to work well. You have none. Any deck with them should run 4 of them. You can do this in blue/red easily with a playset of brainstorm but you are not.

Gelectrode works best with flashback faithless looting , buybackmystic speculation , recover icefall, or rebound distortion strike. You are not running it with any of them.

So basically maybe a dozen of your cards make sense with nizzy. You need to pick an avenue of attack and follow it. Here would be one example built around some of your cards.

4 delver of secrets // Insectile Aberration
4 azure mage
4 Jace's Archivist
4 galvanoth

4 brainstorm
4 faithless looting
4 electrolyze
3 remand
2 coalition relic
1 lightning greaves

10 mountain
10 island
4 izzet boilerworks

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
A 6 cmc creature needs some ramp to get out efectively. Ramp in blue/red is tricky but the best case would be a coalition relic you can play and put a counter on turn 3 to turn 4 have 6 power. I suggest dropping the time warps for them.

As an additional ramp strategy you should play 4 izzet boilerworks, not two and 2 guildgates.

Steamcore weird is just bad. If you want that functionality run murderoue redcap instead.

If you are going to commit any resources to taking over other creatures you need some way to sacrifice them for effect. In red fling is good for that

Quicksilver dagger is only good in very limited circumstances, nothing you are running qualifies. Nizzy really wants you to run at least one lightning greaves

Galvanoth needs some form of library manipulation to work well. You have none. Any deck with them should run 4 of them. You can do this in blue/red easily with a playset of brainstorm but you are not.

Gelectrode works best with flashback faithless looting , buybackmystic speculation , recover icefall, or rebound distortion strike. You are not running it with any of them.

So basically maybe a dozen of your cards make sense with nizzy. You need to pick an avenue of attack and follow it. Here would be one example built around some of your cards.

4 delver of secrets // Insectile Aberration
4 azure mage
4 Jace's Archivist
4 galvanoth

4 brainstorm
4 faithless looting
4 electrolyze
3 remand
2 coalition relic
1 lightning greaves

10 mountain
10 island
4 izzet boilerworks

as neat as that deck is, it's too expensive. at my store, it would be $75 for those cards (brainstorm and remand are $7.47 and $5.99 respectively). I was trying to keep it under $50 (and the deck I made was $49).

Also, I forgot to mention that this deck will be used in 2v2, so its not THAT bad if its a bit slow to start out. thats why Time Warp is good, cuz then my buddy can go again too. my friends don't have super quick decks either.

delver of secrets seems pretty cool. i'll take out the Quicksilver Dagger, Galvanoth and 1 Gelectrode's for 3 of those. and i do like murderous redcap, i'll add him in for sure. i'll take out another Gelectrode for Lightning Greaves as well.

i like having prophetic bolt. its good for getting land BUT its good with Niv-Mizzet. deal 4 to their life, draw 4, deal another 4 to there life - 5 mana for 8 damage and a card too...and its also 98 cents :P
Good god, brainstorm is a nickle common. Not only that it was reprinted like three times. I must have over 50 of them. Time to see if any store wants to buy 40 or so I guess.

I knew the remand had gotten dear. It is only because it is one of the better counters in modern though.

Just looked them up and strike zone will sell them to you for 1.75 each. That is hella inflation on a common but still not exactly dear.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Good god, brainstorm is a nickle common. Not only that it was reprinted like three times. I must have over 50 of them. Time to see if any store wants to buy 40 or so I guess.

I knew the remand had gotten dear. It is only because it is one of the better counters in modern though.

Just looked them up and strike zone will sell them to you for 1.75 each. That is hella inflation on a common but still not exactly dear.

the store i go to uses the prices from starcitygames.com

i actually noticed that they have 3 brainstorms from Mercadian Masques for 1.49 each. i could also add Gilded Lotus as they are sold out of coalition relic. same with lightning greaves...damn
GAHH THIS DECK JUST WORKS IDK WHAT TO DO! It has so many ways of winning so its sort of multipurpose but its REALLY fun when it works.

heres why i have these:

Creatures:
2 Gelectrode (its good. always tap it at the end of an oppoents turn for free damage. could combo with brainstorm pretty well)
2 Dominus of Fealty (i can attack with there guys to get in some damage. if they block, either 2 creatures die, one creature will die [maybe one of their tokens] or the taken creatures will die, leaving the other one weak for arc lightning, electrolyze or prophetic bolt)
1 Mindwrack Liege (haven't been able to use it yet, but its could be good, especially since i now have more low cost creatures. can cheat in the 5+ creatures)
2 Conquering Manticore (same as dominus fealty. a nice fatty to block/swing with)
2 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (combos amazingly with prophetic bolt or brainstorm or compulsive research)
1 Thunder Dragon (good if opponent has a lot of tokens. also good to put out before/after an attack to weaken or kill off the blockers which lets the taken creatures get through to do damage or kills them if they lived through an attack)
4 Delver of Secrets (good early creature. lets me plan ahead too)
3 Murderous Redcap (deal damage when it comes in, can block a big guy, comes back to do more damage and block again)

2 Mana Leak (i really don't like the fact that they can pay 3 to stop the counter, so you might not be able to use it when you need it.)
1 Breaking Point (great late game. they either take 6 and potentially die from my instants, or they kill everything. my stuff would die too, but it might already be gone anyways.)
1 Beacon of Destruction (an instant that keeps coming back)
3 Compulsive Research {or brainstorm } (both of them are good. if you need cards then brainstorm is great cuz you get to keep your stuff...but compulsive research is good if your mana screwed or have been getting too many creatures, since you can just filter out your deck. both work with niv-mizzet)
4 Electrolyze (also works with niv-mizzet, and is just great all around)
3 Prophetic Bolt (he might not work with niv-mizzet after all...since it says "look at" not "draw")
2 Time Warp (since i'll be playing 2v2, this will be great. combos with gelectrode and niv-mizzet. deal 2 damage, draw an extra card, extra turn get another card too.)
2 Arc Lightning (it has its uses. i could take it out for 2 gilded lotus though.)

Lands:

4 Izzet Boilerworks
10 Mountain
10 Island

so yeah...everything just seems to WORK as long as the mana is there. my store might not have the Thunder Dragon, so i could take him out and either one Delver of Secrets or one Murderous Redcap for 2 Gilded Lotus...or even the Mana Leaks. could also do that PLUS take out one Prophetic Bolt for an extra Gilded Lotus. i really think it could work.
Decklist looks fine. The only card in there that I'd say should be changed is Breaking Point - it's a punisher mechanic in a deck that isn't built around it. Your opponent is always going to choose the better option for them. If you want a sweeper in red, Blasphemous Act (or if you don't mind paying a bit extra, Bonfire of the Damned). If you want something that can hit them in the face, at least make sure it can hit a creature too so that if the card isn't going to kill them, it isn't useless (something like Banefire or Comet Storm would be good choices).

The other potential issue is fat - you have 14 cards that cost 5 or more. Most efficient decks have at least about ~70%+ of their cards in the 1 to 4 range, because these are the cards that you'll be able to play from an opening hand, can probably play even if you get land screwed, and will actually let you get to the lategame. You're not far off this ratio, but you'd probably want to get closer to it.

To that end, Fire // Ice is a great card for a UR control deck. Can tempo without card disadvantage for Ice; can get card advantage out of Fire. Between Niv Mizzet, Gelectrode and your flying creatures, Curiosity isn't going to hurt at all (IMO it should be in most Niv-Miz v1 decks, as it's a straightforward and synergetic instant win). Also, with a few Threaten effects, you might consider Bazaar Trader in order to turn those temporary effects into permanent Mind Controls.

Finally, mana base tweaks couldn't hurt. Sure, stuff like Evolving Wilds and Izzet Guildgate come in tapped, but at least you have less chance of getting colorscrewed. If you want a faster land that can later be used to fix colors, you have the option of Grixis Panorama. As far as other 2-color producing lands go, Shivan Reef is cheap (at least, comparitively speaking; can imagine it's a dollar or two but nowhere near something like Steam Vents or Cascade Bluffs). 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Decklist looks fine. The only card in there that I'd say should be changed is Breaking Point - it's a punisher mechanic in a deck that isn't built around it. Your opponent is always going to choose the better option for them. If you want a sweeper in red, Blasphemous Act (or if you don't mind paying a bit extra, Bonfire of the Damned). If you want something that can hit them in the face, at least make sure it can hit a creature too so that if the card isn't going to kill them, it isn't useless (something like Banefire or Comet Storm would be good choices).

The other potential issue is fat - you have 14 cards that cost 5 or more. Most efficient decks have at least about ~70%+ of their cards in the 1 to 4 range, because these are the cards that you'll be able to play from an opening hand, can probably play even if you get land screwed, and will actually let you get to the lategame. You're not far off this ratio, but you'd probably want to get closer to it.

To that end, Fire // Ice is a great card for a UR control deck. Can tempo without card disadvantage for Ice; can get card advantage out of Fire. Between Niv Mizzet, Gelectrode and your flying creatures, Curiosity isn't going to hurt at all (IMO it should be in most Niv-Miz v1 decks, as it's a straightforward and synergetic instant win). Also, with a few Threaten effects, you might consider Bazaar Trader in order to turn those temporary effects into permanent Mind Controls.

Finally, mana base tweaks couldn't hurt. Sure, stuff like Evolving Wilds and Izzet Guildgate come in tapped, but at least you have less chance of getting colorscrewed. If you want a faster land that can later be used to fix colors, you have the option of Grixis Panorama. As far as other 2-color producing lands go, Shivan Reef is cheap (at least, comparitively speaking; can imagine it's a dollar or two but nowhere near something like Steam Vents or Cascade Bluffs). 

hmm Banefire looks like a good replacement. i'll add it.

Fire and Ice is just Electrolyze...interesting. i think i'll take out the Arc Lightnings and 1 Electrolyze for 3 of those. as for Bazaar Trader i could take out 1 Murderous Redcap and Mindwrack Liege OR 1 Delver of Secrets. for Curiosity, i could take out 1 Prophetic bolt, 1 Time Warp and the 2 Mana leaks for 4 of those.

...HOLY CRAP. i've never seen a land like Cascade Bluffs. there's 2 at my store for $20 each and my god it's really tempting. i'll have to think about that, but one guy on the gatherer said he added 4 to his Izzet deck and it helped out a lot. assuming i would just take out 1 island and 1 mountain for those 2 right? or just take away 2 Boilerworks
In terms of Cascade Bluffs, it's pretty awesome, but has a price tag to match, so keep that in mind - but yeah, in your current list you'd prob just take basics out for it. I mentioned the Shivan Reef because as far as 2-color lands go, it's quite cheap and still comes out untapped.

Fire // Ice is very boss, but as a split card just note that you only cast one side, so it's not quite Electrolyze - you'll be able to get the damage portion of it, or the draw portion of it, but not the entire Electrolyze. So it's your call if you want to be cutting Elec for it.

Bazaar Trader is by no means necessary, it just has good synergy with Threaten effects (and indeed, quite a few casual decks have been built around this synergy). If you don't have any of the threaten creatures out though it's going to be next-to-useless, so just keep that in mind.  
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
In terms of Cascade Bluffs, it's pretty awesome, but has a price tag to match, so keep that in mind - but yeah, in your current list you'd prob just take basics out for it. I mentioned the Shivan Reef because as far as 2-color lands go, it's quite cheap and still comes out untapped.

Fire // Ice is very boss, but as a split card just note that you only cast one side, so it's not quite Electrolyze - you'll be able to get the damage portion of it, or the draw portion of it, but not the entire Electrolyze. So it's your call if you want to be cutting Elec for it.

Bazaar Trader is by no means necessary, it just has good synergy with Threaten effects (and indeed, quite a few casual decks have been built around this synergy). If you don't have any of the threaten creatures out though it's going to be next-to-useless, so just keep that in mind.  

Ok I won't add bazaar trader then. I like mindwrack liege more anyways :P

ill put up the new deck list later today. It's 6:30 am here
OK so heres the deck:

Creatures:

4 Delver of Secrets
3 Murderous Redcap
2 Gelectrode
2 Dominus of Fealty
1 Mindwrack Liege
2 Conquering Manticore

4 Curiosity
3 Brainstorm
1 Banefire
3 Fire // Ice
3 Electrolyze
1 Beacon of Destruction
2 Prophetic Bolt
1 Time Warp

Lands:

4 Izzet Boilerworks
10 Island
10 Mountain
(and maybe -1 Island & Mountain for 2 Cascade Bluffs)

thats 58 cards...i think i'm going to add another Fire // Ice and Electrolyze for a nice full playset

with Cascade Bluffs, can you pay the 1 cost 3 times THEN tap? so instead of 1 mana for 2 you'd pay 3 mana for 6? i don't think thats right though, seems too OP
Sign In to post comments