DDI Idea

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

The basic idea. Make DDI a multi edtion platoform but have D&DN as the flagship of course. Leave the 4th ed material up even if it is on an options menu somewhere.

Have some sort of "in game" currrency I would suggest the gold piece. You use this to buy subscriptions or whatever they can think of selling. Devote 20 pages of Dungeon magazine to "Classic" D&D which is everything that is not D&DN. Or create a "Dungeon Classic" spinoff for the older stuff. Dungeon Classics is purely fanbased and is reliant on players actually creating material for it and they are paid in "gold pieces" perhaps even a large sum of it ($100 worth of virtual currency or whatever).

Let the fans decide to some exent what they want and will actually pay for. IN the classics section they can also develop new material such as maybe a 32 page AD&D module or BECM , 3rd and 4th ed adventure maybe even going as far as letting the fans write it as well or they can pay a professional. Try it out and make it a micro transaction for $5 or $10. Something cheap anyway. Think about how well a new AD&D adventure or module would likely sell. Also consider putting up PDFs of the 3.5 core rules as well and maybe the AD&D (1st and Second ed) so for you Yearly/monthly fee or whatever you basically get 3.5, 4th, and D&DN material and older material as well. Some of the older material can actually be new. The D&D Rules Cyclopedia could also be put up and that is one PDF that would sell well I would imagine if it was sold on RPGnow.com.

If you feel like a break for your edition of choice you can switch to another one for a bit. The overall idea is to get as many D&D fans to give you money and let the fans to an exent publish their own work. The cost to WoTC is that they would need an editior for the Dungeon or Dungeon Classics PDFs and artists etc which they already have I suppose. Frebies could also be handed out on occaison to subscribers as I recently got an email from Paradox Interactive which gave me a free copy of EU III Chronicles on Steam as a reward for thier forums reaching 500 people. I had actually registered my games I bought off them instead of pirating them and the games have been cheap on Steam anyway ($2-$15 on sale).

Just an idea. 
I'm all for DDI having all editions of D&D on it. If they start putting all the back issues on-line, all the better!

However, you might be underestimating how hard it is for WotC to publish articles. What you describe for putting up DnD Classics? That's basically what Perkins is doing right now for the current edition of D&D. WotC would have to hire someone else and increase their budget to commission new material for systems they aren't selling. Kind of a hard sell.

Nevertheless, I do think that we'll be seeing more older materials be re-released what with the return of PDFs.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

there's nothing i hate more than a service forcing me to tie my money up in digital chuck e cheese tokens.

if ddi were to go the nickle and dime route, i'd rather they just let me use a debit card at checkout.

also, this seems very redundant with the dndclassic thing they just launched.
I'm all for DDI having all editions of D&D on it. If they start putting all the back issues on-line, all the better!

However, you might be underestimating how hard it is for WotC to publish articles. What you describe for putting up DnD Classics? That's basically what Perkins is doing right now for the current edition of D&D. WotC would have to hire someone else and increase their budget to commission new material for systems they aren't selling. Kind of a hard sell.

Nevertheless, I do think that we'll be seeing more older materials be re-released what with the return of PDFs.

Hence why I said new AD&D content that is fan based may be an option. If the AD&D players are willing to design it and buy it WoTC makes money off them. They make money off the 4th ed players as DDI is still up, and 3.5 between the SRD and PRD is basically free anyway so they could put up the core books on DDI. 
I like the premise,  but I'd rather it be developed as some sort of Virtual Tabletop with subscription/F2P options (Subscription giving access to all material,  F2P being ala carte).

Options are key. If people wanna pay a sub, let 'em. Just don't force all of us to if we want to opt into some of the service.

Virtual money is annoying. Don't do it. If you want to let them have prepaid credit, then just let them have prepaid credit. If you want kids to be able to take part in the services then sell game cards at shops and let them get credit that way.

But overall the more ways we have to pay for things, the more people will pay for things because we'll all be able to set the bar and pay for what we want in the way that we want.

Hence why I said new AD&D content that is fan based may be an option. If the AD&D players are willing to design it and buy it WoTC makes money off them. They make money off the 4th ed players as DDI is still up, and 3.5 between the SRD and PRD is basically free anyway so they could put up the core books on DDI. 

Are you assuming that the authors of the 'fan-based' articles would not be paid for them? Because Dragon and Dungeon Magazine has been publishing adventures and articles from non-professionals since the beginning.

The submissions guidelines ( www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/s... ) already does what you're saying. However, I'm all for Dragon/Dungeon Magazine being diverse for many different systems.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

People could be paid in cash or virtual currency. Maybe the get X2 virtual currency instead of real cash IDK. Thy can have $50 or $100 VC for exmple (IDK what Dungeon pays a submission).