Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for February, 2013

136 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of February, 2013.

I like the Gruul transformational sideboard plan, but I feel a couple of Triumph of Ferocity are too good to pass up. I know it's a nonbo with Domri Rade, but they can replace the planeswalker itself as his +1 is going to whiff 50 % of the times (24 lands after sbing, 4 rancor and the other rade) and an enchantment is much harder to remove.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
The Google+ Hangout really needs HD display. Far too hard to even see what's going on.
I still think it's rather silly to call them 'Gatecrash' Event Decks when the Simic one has only 12 Gatecrash cards between the 75 present. The Boros one has 19, but still...

Ah well, the Simic deck does have Swagtusk, so it'll still be worth the money. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Heh, another Thraggy precon. 3 Rancors is nice as well. ...And wow, how is this a Simic deck? 0 instances of evolve. Doesn't look like Wizards tried very hard on this one. Boros one looks a bit better in that regard.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
the simic deck is not a simic deck at all; it seems like it plays more like a gruul deck then a simic deck and lacks a single evolve creature. though I am happy about the boros deck, I can't wait to get one.
Event Decks are rarely thematic. They're built with standard in mind.

Anyway, the WR looks like the chase one this time, with at least a couple double digit cards salted on. 
Event Decks are rarely thematic. They're built with standard in mind.

Anyway, the WR looks like the chase one this time, with at least a couple double digit cards salted on. 

then don't slap the simic symbol on it. People who see the simic symbol expect well simic stuff. 
What do you do if the local gaming store is charging crazy prices for stuff like this? Both decks are expected to minimum 30 dollars here.
Simic deck looks like junk. Boros deck has incredible value. Simic has Thragtusk. Boros deck gets easily 40 dollars in rares alone.

However most shops will price it at atleast 35, probably 40.
I think WOtC is wanting to devalue Thragtusk by putting it in another pre-con deck this is the third one to date.  I believe that there are other cards that could have been put in that slot.
I haven't had a lot of experience with the new way they've been doing event decks. The last precon I bought was during worldwake. I must say that I really love the newer ones. They've made a point to put good, and playable cards into these decks. They've got 3 or 4 of some of the staple cards in the format (like rancor).

I would have liked to see at least one or two evolve creatures in the "simic" deck, however, I appreciate how they branched out and put some gruul cards in there.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I thought these were supposed to have 8 rares each, or am I thinking of something else...?

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
RE: Justice of the Legion via Daily Decks.

I have to assume the single Boros Garrision is never intended to untap, but instead, simply bounces itself every turn to ensure the bare minimum of one landfall trigger.

Hot.

~Rae~
For these being GATECRASH event decks, the simic one has...what, 10 gatecrash cards? 14 if you include the guildgate? LAME.

the boros one looks cool though. 
On the "Infinite Humanity" deck (lame name by the way) :

Killing the Field Hunter in response to it targeting the Angel should break the combo, leaving the Angel permanently in exile.

Edit: Ok they can sac the Angel. But still. Breaks the Combo leaving 2 bears and a Huntmaster (at least) for 5WW/ 4B/ 3W. 
So Sam Black has stopped writing daily decks because he's preparing for the pro-tour, right?

I really enjoyed his decks and writing.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
So where's the photo of all the fine and handsome members of the Airtight team? :-)
i think RDW is better than this GDW
CARD OF THE DAY  weekly theme is GHOSTBUSTERS.

Keymaster= Rick Moranis as Louis Tully
Gatekeeper= Sigourney Weaver as Dana Barrett
Gluttonous Slime= come on, I don't have to say it, do I?
I am, once again, disappointed by your refusal to give me an alternate art promo Fathom Mage wallpaper.

I look forward to seeing this situation be corrected next week.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
RE: The Inaugural Magic: The Gathering Game Dev Rumble

Who is the Hottie from team wizards in the Simic shirt? I am in love ;)
So where's the photo of all the fine and handsome members of the Airtight team? :-)

My fault. Sorry about that! You're in there now.
RE: The Inaugural Magic: The Gathering Game Dev Rumble

Who is the Hottie from team wizards in the Simic shirt? I am in love ;)

Assistant brand manager and DailyMTG podcaster Tifa Meyen. And she's taken. :P

I think that's her, anyway...
So the obvious choice for Friday's card would be Geist-catcher's Rig. Or they could get tricky with something like Fruitcake Elemental (It's a big humanoid made of dessert) or PUFFer Extract :D
Major props to Adam Prosak!  That is one of the coolest decks I've ever seen.
explain how the legacy deck workss takes all the fun from reading the article
Also the deck is called 'Breakfast Burrito,' in the tradition of other legacy combo decks.
I'm handing in my Johnny card. I'll never be able to top Adam Prosak's "balustrade spy is now a turn 1 kill in legacy". 
Angel of Glory's Rise returns your Undercity Informers; Balustrade Spys; Wild Cantor; Azami, Lady of Scrolls; and (most importantly) Laboratory Maniac to the battlefield.

Balustrade Spy aint human >.> so it dose not in fact come back from the Angel
want to link single cards or your deck? look at the spoiler
Show
for 1 card use [c.][/c.] (but then without the dots) example: [c.]cardname here[/c] for a compleet list use [deck.][/deck.] (but then without the dots) example: [deck.] lands: # x name of land1 # x name of land2 And So On Creatures: # x name of creature1 # x name of creature2 And So On Spells: # x name of spell1 # x name of spell2 And So On Sideboard: # x name of sideboardcard1 # x name of sideboardcard2 And So On [/deck.]
explain how the legacy deck workss takes all the fun from reading the article

That's why the decklist is conveniently above the explanation, so you can do what I did: avoid scrolling down until you've figured out what the deck does from looking at the cards
Also the deck is called 'Breakfast Burrito,' in the tradition of other legacy combo decks.

That is what I and several others have been calling it for weeks as we've refined and debated the list. It will always be 'Breakfast Burrito' to me. Also, the Mimeoplasm/Triskelion/Lord of Extinction combo still feels like a more direct way to win, but I would definitely keep Azami, the Maniac, and AoGR in the sideboard if I were to run into a control deck or something else that can prevent damage.

My fault. Sorry about that! You're in there now.

I still don't see their photo...
So the obvious choice for Friday's card would be Geist-catcher's Rig. Or they could get tricky with something like Fruitcake Elemental (It's a big humanoid made of dessert) or PUFFer Extract :D

Every time I saw Geist Trappers, the Ghostbusters theme went off in my head, and I started singing. Every time. Didn't matter if it was draft, flipping through my collection, tweaking my EDH deck...I'm glad to see that that was intentional. Or, at least, that there's someone else out there with the same problem.
I never saw the Gruul guild letter. It's hilarious.
The Izzet letter was the best ...until I scrolled down to Gruul.

Unfortunately, this message board does not have the pictograms for "Gruul cave art stomps all others, no survivors".

The Azorius guild letter made me thing - my company has standardized on ALL CAPS UNIVERS BOLD for everything.  It's like I work in New Prahv now.
The Gruul guild letter is by far the best guild letter.
And my friends mocked me for choosing Gruul at the Prerelease. Now who's got the coolest guild letter hanging on his wall? XD
I'm still a tiny bit disappointed that the Gruul letter didn't just read "CRUSH THEM! WE EAT!" The pictures conveyed the eating pretty well, but I didn't see as much crushing as I'd like.
Rules Nut Advisor
Okay, whoever designed those new T-Shirts: They're awesome. You're awesome. Keep being awesome, okay? Good. I'm glad we had this talk.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

New t-shirts, yay! 

Now how about offering a shipping option to Canada / the rest of the world that isn't literally twice the cost of the shirt?

It's not hard, guys. If webcomics can figure the whole 'reasonable shipping options' thing out then surely Hasbro can. 
Sign In to post comments