Guild Medallions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is based on the Medallion cycle from Tempest, artifacts which reduce the cost of spells of a certain color. The Azorius Medallion is visible by default for demonstration purposes while the rest are hidden in the sblock.

Azorius Medallion
Artifact
White spells you cast cost less to cast.
Blue spells you cast cost less to cast.

Show
Orzhov Medallion
Artifact
Black spells you cast cost less to cast.

Dimir Medallion
Artifact

Izzet Medallion
Artifact
Red spells you cast cost less to cast.

Rakdos Medallion
Artifact

Golgari Medallion
Artifact
Green spells you cast cost less to cast.

Gruul Medallion
Artifact

Boros Medallion
Artifact

Selesnya Medallion
Artifact

Simic Medallion
Artifact

Oh hey, artifact version of the Familiar cycle. (Nightscape, Stormscape, Sunscape, Thornscape, and Thunderscape)

I think three mana seems about right for these.  Augustin was a little more, but he also did more and was a body.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Hmmm...want
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Oh hey, artifact version of the Familiar cycle. (Nightscape, Stormscape, Sunscape, Thornscape, and Thunderscape)

I think three mana seems about right for these.  Augustin was a little more, but he also did more and was a body.

Funny thing is, I first thought the Medallion cycle from Tempest each reduced the costs of their respective colored spells by and thus was going to cost these at figuring they only reduce costs by . Then upon searching the Medallions on Gatherer, it turns out they only reduce costs by so I had to cost these at at least . I also considered giving them CD costs, such as for the Azorius Medallion, but I didn't think this block would be the right time to bring colored artifacts back plus the current costs make them useable in decks with more than two colors.

Maybe in DGM or a future Ravnica block we'll get artifacts like these? It's strange the Familiars were only common while the Medallions were rare. Yeah, creatures are easier to remove and all but artifact removal isn't hard to manage either and artifacts are harder to protect. But I guess the Familiars also required you to play multicolor to make use of the cost reduction while the Medallions are playable in mono or multicolor decks.

Not what I was thinking of.
I would have thought of something like

Azorius Medallion

Artifact
Spells that are both white and blue cost  less to cast.

do you really have to copy and paste that 9 more times XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
HT: That would seriously restrict the Medallion's uses. Plus, not all cards in a guild are multicolored, so supporting the individual colors of that guild is a good idea.

Theatog: I wanted completion. :P

My bro suggested that the medallions work more like the Familiars from Planeshift by saying "C spells and D spells you cast cost less to cast" as opposed to reducing the cost by if the spell is both colors. He feels the original concepts are too good at . I like the idea of double reduction as a reward for playing multicolor but I can see the logic behind the medallions reducing the cost of spells that are either or both colors by .