The Simic Labratory - DNA Splicer [Contest]

528 posts / 0 new
Last post
GM_Champion's thread is likely dead (he mentioned that he might pass it to someone else anyways) but I thought it was a very interesting idea so I would like to keep it going since I think the various random creature type combination could make for some very interesting cards.

I have never held a contest before so I have no idea how well I might judge it, but I am willing to try!
For the record, flavor is one of the things that tickles my fancy more than anything else.  I'm not saying that any judging I might do will be affected by my personal prejudices.

Rounds will last about 24 hours at most to keep it moving.  Anyone can play whenever they feel like it.  Come and go as you see fit.  You are completing for props, bragging rights and maybe a title or two.

On to the gene splicing! 

Your first assignment as the co-op intern in the lab is to splice:

ELEPHANT + RAT

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Elephantine Rodent 
Creature - Elephant Rat

Trample
Whenever Elephantine Rodent deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you do, that player discards a card.

The diet to foster disease, the body to push it through. 

4/3

Now find a way to give him double strike. 
Plague Pachyderm
()
Creature-Elephant Rat
When Plague Pachyderm enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you discard a card.
The Simic are known to engineer problems exclusively to the annoyance of people who have slighted them.
3/3

Plagued Pack-Aderm Virulent Elerrat
Creature - Elephant Rat
Deathtouch
Whenever a non-token creature dies you may discard a card.  If you do, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Plagued Pack-Aderm Virulent Elerrat.
"So it's part elephant....and part rat.....what's it afraid of?" -Selker, Simic Biospeciest.
3/3

EDIT:  Curse your ninja ways Thoctar!

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Relephantless Rats
Creature - Rat Elephant
Trample
Spells called ~ that you cast cost less for each creature named ~ you control.
A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
3/3

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

www.vanhiel.com/daniel/creatures.php?mon...

Brain Mole creature elephant rat
Whenever Brain Mole damages a player, that player discards a card
"~it's much larger than most rats" - Wizard of the Seven Eyes
1/1
Just an FYI:  Avatar had elephant rats.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Reoccurring Ratodon B/G B/G 3
Creature Rat Elephant

You may cast Reoccurring Ratodon from your graveyard.

4/4

No matter how many times the Simic attempted to eradicate the wayward experiment, it managed to keep coming back.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Relephantless Rats

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Just an FYI:  Avatar had elephant rats.

So it did, so it did.  Pure coincidence this time around as my process of creature type selection is a secret blend of special algorythms that concern hitting "random card" on gatherer until I get two creature types.

That being said, I might have to include a playtpus bear in the future, or maybe a turtle duck.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
or maybe a turtle duck.

Man, turtle ducks were adorable.

Elephrat |
Creature -- Elephant Rat (U)
Trample
Whenever Elephrat becomes untapped, return it to its owners hand.
The most common defensive strategy is getting it to look at its own shadow.
3/2

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
At this rate we could make an entire set centered around elerants.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
That being said, I might have to include a playtpus bear in the future, or maybe a turtle duck.

Platypus bear?  Hasn't the platypus been tortured spliced enough?!

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Luxodon Recruit
Creature - Elephant Rat Horror
If was spent to cast ~, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has vigilance.
If was spen to cast ~, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has trample.
As anarchy overtook Ravnica, the darker mages took to abducting "recruits," lobotomizing intelligent species and replacing their minds with those of more subservient creatures.
2/2
Pygmy Tuskrat ()
Creature- Elephant Rat
Swampwalk
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Two of them were set loose for observation. Reports indicate the feeding frenzy lasted just under two weeks.
On an unrelated note, District 5 seems to have vanished. Look into it.- Simic biomancer's journal
2/1
or maybe a turtle duck.

Man, turtle ducks were adorable.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Pachyrodent
Creature - Elephant Rat
Whenever ~ attacks, you may sacrifice a Swamp or Forest. If you do, put a tokn onto the battlefield that is a copy of ~.
"They're like a blight of locusts. Except they're rats... and elephants." 
3/3

Didn't see Azure' before making this. Hopefully mine is different enough.  
We feel drawn to this thread by a sense of kinship.

Tusked Sewerbeast |
Creature - Rat Elephant
Trample, gatewalk
Only in the gargantuan sewers of Ravnica could the Simic help the rat to reach its full potential.
3/3
{Simic Watermark}
Oh boy. It's back.
Elephrat -- :GM::GM:
Creature - Elephant Rat (C)

Trample, deathtouch

Many of the simic creations require precision timing, and accurate data collection upon years of study to become elegant mutants. Others, not so much.
2 / 2
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Simic Hydra|
Creature - Snake Kraken (U)
Trample
~ can block any number of creatures.
When ~ dies put 8 1/1 Snake creature tokens with deathtouch onto the battlefield.

Biomancer Wynzer felt that elephant rats and sharktopuses didn't have do enough damage to their ecosystems to be proper monsters.

4/8

I've always wanted Vivisection to be a real card to fear. Also anything that is fueled by Polymorph or Beast Within makes me happy.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
ok Closed so I can actually conceivably grade these today.

Wynzerman, this round was  to focus on a splicing of Elephant and Rat.  I like your card, but for this round I'll have to disqualify it based on the criteria.

Feel free to post a new card if I haven't posted any comments yet.

EDIT: I just realized a serious problem.  The mana cost symbols are broken for me so I can't actually tell in some cases what people have costed their cards at.  If I hover over I *sometimes* can see the text for the symbol.  I only have this problem at work for some reason. At home I have no issues...anyone have any idea whats wrong?

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
No idea, but for your reference, mine costs 1(b/g)(b/g).

just quote the posts. That happens to me too, I quote the posts to see the actual input text

192884403 wrote:
You could also possibly try to clear your cookies and whatever else.
Or change to live view, maybe. I've never used it. I wouldn't actually expect that to make a difference though.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

All comments are subject to my own prejudices, life experiences, and current mood. I'll comment on each one as well as give a grade out of 10, since I like that stuff when I post cards. I tend to under cost cards myself

Elephantine Rodent
Creature - Elephant Rat

Trample
Whenever Elephantine Rodent deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you do, that player discards a card.

The diet to foster disease, the body to push it through.

4/3

Now find a way to give him double strike.

Thats a magic rat and a magic elephant, no denying. I like that it hits on all the basics. It's well costed, its got great flavor text. This card is highly printable as well. At the cost, I think it you might have been able to do away with the having to pay for discard, but it is in keeping with the Rat Code. Of course, the Rat Code is more of a guideline than a rule.

8/10

Plague Pachyderm
()
Creature-Elephant Rat
When Plague Pachyderm enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you discard a card.
The Simic are known to engineer problems exclusively to the annoyance of people who have slighted them.
3/3

I'd have to say this card is overpowered. The decks that would play this monster would only use the drawback as a huge positive. I mean, I like the card, but who wouldn't? Love the flavor text and the flavor all round. Just too darn good. Wouldn't it be arguably one of the best one drops ever printed?

6/10

Plagued Pack-Aderm Virulent Elerrat
Creature - Elephant Rat
Deathtouch
Whenever a non-token creature dies you may discard a card. If you do, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of Plagued Pack-Aderm Virulent Elerrat.
"So it's part elephant....and part rat.....what's it afraid of?" -Selker, Simic Biospeciest.
3/3

Well costed, strong card. Very printable. I can think of at least 4 decks of mine that would kill for this card. The flavor text makes me chuckle everytime I read it. One of my favorites so far.

9/10

Relephantless Rats
Creature - Rat Elephant
Trample
Spells called ~ that you cast cost less for each creature named ~ you control.
A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
3/3

This card needs to be printed NOW. It captures the flavor and playability of both rat and elephant (herd mentality) perfectly. I'll give it a 10/10 even though I love me some flavor text. The name is great too. My inner Simic is weeping with joy at this success.

10/10

Brain Mole creature elephant rat
Whenever Brain Mole damages a player, that player discards a card
"~it's much larger than most rats" - Wizard of the Seven Eyes
1/1

But..the name isn't a snappy elephant/rat cross/allusion. Its very safely costed with an effect that is tried and true. Flavor text is about the same.

5/10

Reoccurring Ratodon B/G B/G 3 Creature Rat Elephant You may cast Reoccurring Ratodon from your graveyard. 4/4 No matter how many times the Simic attempted to eradicate the wayward experiment, it managed to keep coming back.

This is a fine general idea for just about any experiment instead of specifically a rat/elephant. It's not a bad card, it just doesn't seem like a rat elephant.

6/10

Elephrat |
Creature -- Elephant Rat (U)
Trample
Whenever Elephrat becomes untapped, return it to its owners hand.
The most common defensive strategy is getting it to look at its own shadow.
3/2

A fun card that makes my inner Johnny start churning. I'd say it appeals to spike as well. Rides the edge of too strong since it is so easy to cast again, especially in green, fits in at least 3 of my decks. Plus it answers AzureShades question of what would an elephant rat be afraid of.

9/10

Luxodon Recruit
Creature - Elephant Rat Horror
If was spent to cast ~, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has vigilance.
If was spen to cast ~, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it and has trample.
As anarchy overtook Ravnica, the darker mages took to abducting "recruits," lobotomizing intelligent species and replacing their minds with those of more subservient creatures.
2/2

Good card. It's not particularily ratty or elepanty (don't look that up, I just coined it.) however it does feel like an experiment and captures the flavor of splicing and mixing different ingredients to get something new.

7/10

Pygmy Tuskrat ()
Creature- Elephant Rat
Swampwalk
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Two of them were set loose for observation. Reports indicate the feeding frenzy lasted just under two weeks.
On an unrelated note, District 5 seems to have vanished. Look into it.- Simic biomancer's journal
2/1

Definitely feeling the rat here. I like the herd mentality flavor with the +1/+1 counters as well. It's a good card with excellent flavor text.

8/10

Pachyrodent
Creature - Elephant Rat
Whenever ~ attacks, you may sacrifice a Swamp or Forest. If you do, put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of ~.
"They're like a blight of locusts. Except they're rats... and elephants."
3/3

Definitely feeling the elephant on this card. Its easy to picture a herd of elephants crashing through some woods, which in reality would like never happen, although reality doesn't have Pachyrodents. But maybe it should. Might have to pull out the chemistry set and start taking some samples from whoever happens to be sleeping tonight. Possibly a blend of wife + sexy neighbor...hmm...that might be illegal...if I don't grade tomorrow you'll know why...unless I can get computer access from prison.

7/10

We feel drawn to this thread by a sense of kinship.

Tusked Sewerbeast |
Creature - Rat Elephant
Trample, gatewalk
Only in the gargantuan sewers of Ravnica could the Simic help the rat to reach its full potential.
3/3
{Simic Watermark}

Solid card. Very good mix of abilities combining the mechanical features of both rat and elephant. Tied well to block. Very elegant.

8/10

Elephrat -- :GM::GM:
Creature - Elephant Rat (C)

Trample, deathtouch

Many of the simic creations require precision timing, and accurate data collection upon years of study to become elegant mutants. Others, not so much.
2 / 2

Good mechanical combination of rat and elephant abilities. If this card hasn't been printed yet it really needs to be. It's not flashy at all but it makes perfect sense. I would say the Simic would consider this a success.

9/10

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
The heads at the lab have confered and decided to promote a few of you to a higher standing.

Fenix has been promoted to Tank-cleaner!
AzureShade has been promoted to Apprentice Tank-cleaner!
FirstTurnKill has been promoted to Apprentice Tank-cleaner!
altimis has been promoted to Apprentice Tank-cleaner!

Can't have too many tank cleaners.  Seriously.  The labs are just gross right now.

ROUND 2:

The heads of the lab have noticed the work you have been doing and have their next assignment ready to go:

Splice CAT + DRAGON. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Qasali Protector
Creature - Dragon Cat Avatar
If a Cat creature you control died this turn and you control at least six lands, you may cast Qasali Protector without paying its mana cost and as though it had flash.
Flying.
Other Cat creatures you control are indestructible.
"Long ago, great sacrifices were made.  Great powers were invoked.  Great Magic was worked.  The pride will be safe." -- Ajani
5/5

[spoiler]--ajani like's avatars
--Qasali Ambusher likes flash free cost for cast
--white lords granting indestructible.. Knight Exemplar
--6 mono-white dragons in print..
Pouncing Dragat 
Creature - Dragon Cat
Flying, Double strike
Sacrifice a rat:  Prevent all combat damage Pouncing Dragat would deal this turn.  Any player may active this ability.
"And you thought cats and dragons were independant and easily distracted on their own..." -Selker, Simic Biospeciest
2/2

Purring Drake
Creature - Dragon Cat

Flying, Lifelink
Whenever creatures you control attack, if Purring Drake is not attacking, creatures you control have lifelink.

Its soft pur would melt the heart of the most ruthless tyrant.

3/3

What's funny is that there a short story in one of the MTG Anthology books about a species of cat dragons that live somewhere in Jamuura (Mirage, Visions sets).  For the life of me though, I can't think of what they were called.....

What's funny is that there a short story in one of the MTG Anthology books about a species of cat dragons that live somewhere in Jamuura (Mirage, Visions sets).  For the life of me though, I can't think of what they were called.....

Man I just can't catch a random card break on these creature types.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Wooo!

Does this mean I can boss over AzureShade, Altimis and FirstTurnKill? >:D

Yeah I remember that too, someone mentioned it on the "The Chain" topic, if I think it was KunouNoHana... I'll try to dig it up.

192884403 wrote:

Only until we push you into a tank filled with Piranha Ferrets.

A quick search later... found it!

Their name is the Nekoru.

192884403 wrote:

Only until we push you into a tank filled with Piranha Ferrets.

hey dudibus, my assistants are plotting to kill me.

Halp!

192884403 wrote:
You wouldn't be the first mutant former tank cleaner sent for re-configuration therapy.  When there's something to send to said therapy of course.  Those are the lucky ones. Or unlucky, depending how the words re-configuration therapy strike you.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Sabertooth Dragon
Creature - Dragon Cat 
Flying, lifelink
When ~ enters the battlefield it deals 3 damage to each creature target opponent conrols. You gain life equal to the amount of damage dealt this way.
5/5
Experiment Zero
Legendary Creature- Dragon Cat
Flying, haste, lifelink, trample
Commissioned in secrecy by the Boros War Council, it would have been considered a failure...had there been any survivors.
4/4
Charmed Nekoru 
Creature - Cat Dragon Monk
Whenever you cast a spell, choose one -
~ gets +2/+0 until end of turn;
~ gains lifelink until end of turn;
~ gains first strike until end of turn.
"Meeeoaaarrrrh! (with Bruce Lee accent)"
2/1

Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Sign In to post comments