Premium Foils and Deck Building?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
As stated in my other thread, I'm looking to build a physical deck after playing on XBL for a while. I really like the Goblin Gangland deck I have on XBL and I'd like to recreate that as close as possible. I also really like how the rare cards are foiled on the XBL version.

Are there any good decks that will help build this one in particular and also contain a lot of the foils? The 2013 Deckbuilder Toolkit seems like a good deal, but not sure how close I'll get to my ideal deck with it.
Buy tickets from the store, and then purchase the cards from the Bots.  Except for cards that are seeing a lot of competitive play, the individual cards will be dirt cheap and you'll be able to obtain them for far less than by purchasing pre constructed decks.
This is the Magic Online forum not the Duels of the Planeswalker forum.

Go here:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584...

As for your question. The deckbuilder Toolkit has only commons and uncommons in it plus 4 boosters so you get 4 rares plus any foils you open (small chance).

Buying specific cards from stores or traders will be cheaper than buying any product (boosters or pre-made decks).

You can buy foil cards but their prices are usually twice the normal price.

There is a special deck series that have all the cards in it foiled. This one should best fit you.

www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

It might be hard to find a copy thought.
Just out of curiosity, what does XBL stand for?
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Just out of curiosity, what does XBL stand for?

xbox live

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Since the OP wants to build a physical deck, I'm moving this to the paper New Player Forum, not the DotP Forum.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Thanks for the info.

I do have a very specif deck I'd like to build so it does look like buying individual cards to go with the toolkit will be best.

Can anyone recommend a good site that has really high quality cards? I'm a stickler for things being new and now beat up, but since it's impossible to buy sealed single cards, whats the best site that has this kind of stock in "new" quality. I'd like to avoid places like eBay and deal with a company if possible, like StarCity (of course I wouldn't be opposed to eBay for some rare stuff).     
You could buy the Mob Rule Intro Pack. It has some cards in common with the Goblin Gangland deck.
As stated in my other thread, I'm looking to build a physical deck after playing on XBL for a while. I really like the Goblin Gangland deck I have on XBL and I'd like to recreate that as close as possible.

Who are you going to play this with and in what format? Are you playing with friends or in store events? For example, if you are going to play at Friday Night Magic in the Standard format, that is going to severely limit your ability to build something close to the Goblin Gangland deck.

Are there any good decks that will help build this one in particular and also contain a lot of the foils?

There is no deck with a lot of foils. Paper cards printed in foil are pretty rare and cost a lot-more than their non-foil counterparts. As an example, Krenko, Mob Boss costs about $2.50, but as a foil will set you back $4-$5.

The 2013 Deckbuilder Toolkit seems like a good deal, but not sure how close I'll get to my ideal deck with it.

You will not get very close, as it tries to cover a five colors and a lot of different card types and mechanics. Also, if you are playing in the Standard format, many of the cards in the 2013 Deckbuilder Toolkit will rotate out in October.
I've actually found the Goblin Gangland to be fun, but you can't really win many games with it. The white Peacekeepers deck on XBL (which is close to the Path to Victory Intro Pack) is pretty bad ass and balances a fair amount of token generation (which is what I liked about Gangland) with the added benefit of flying and reversal/canceling spells (which I did not have in Gangland).

However, as I'm admittedly new, I'm confused about the cards that cycle out from season to season. The person at the game shop was telling me about that but I really didn't get it. I thought when you build a deck your good to go. How do I know which cards won't be "legal" a year from now so I don't build a deck around certain play techniques and loose that.

And what makes cards cyle anyway? I see some Magic cards are years old yes are still active today, even in tournament play.
However, as I'm admittedly new, I'm confused about the cards that cycle out from season to season. The person at the game shop was telling me about that but I really didn't get it. I thought when you build a deck your good to go. How do I know which cards won't be "legal" a year from now so I don't build a deck around certain play techniques and loose that.

And what makes cards cyle anyway? I see some Magic cards are years old yes are still active today, even in tournament play.

I would love some insight into this as well!!!

I would love some insight into this as well!!!

Talking about standard:

All cards now legal will be legal until about October 2013, when the first set after the Magic 2014 is released.  At that time, Magic 2013 and everything before it will rotate out.  Everything newer than that (such as RtR and Gatecrash will stay in until the next rotation in October 2014)

You can see the sets legal in every different format here:
www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx...

Any card that gets reprinted in a legal set is legal, even if you're using an older printed copy.  For example, you can use the 4th edition printing of Jayemdae Tome in your deck, since it was also printed in M13.

There is no deck with a lot of foils.

There are the Premium Series decks, which are all foil.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Can anyone recommend a good site that has really high quality cards? I'm a stickler for things being new and now beat up, but since it's impossible to buy sealed single cards, whats the best site that has this kind of stock in "new" quality. I'd like to avoid places like eBay and deal with a company if possible, like StarCity (of course I wouldn't be opposed to eBay for some rare stuff).     

OK, back to this question. I need to buy some this week. Can anyone recommend a place?

OK, back to this question. I need to buy some this week. Can anyone recommend a place?

I've had good luck with CoolStuffInc.
I use CoolStuffInc as my go to online retailer, but depending on price, availability, and what I'm looking for I also buy from the other big online retails (i.e. StarCityGames, Channel Fireball, Troll and Toad, and Card Kingdom). I also buy from my friendly local game shop (FLGS). Put together a list of what you want to buy and check prices, including shipping, and compare. Also check what threshold you have to hit to qualify for free shipping, as this varies. Local shops will probably have higher prices, but you will be supporting a place that hosts Magic events. A number of online stores and local shops have reward and loyalty programs, so once you pick a place to start shopping there is some incentive to stay. If an online store says something is in NM condition, you can be reasonably assured that it will be either completely new, straight from a booster pack or so lightly handled that you can't tell the difference. Buying from ebay is a bit sketchier: It varies a lot from seller to seller, but works out well most of the time. It does bug me when sellers send $20 cards in a soft sleeve in a regular envelope.
There are the Premium Series decks, which are all foil.

I was not aware of these, thank you!
the Premium Deck Series has been discontinued in favor of Commander products
proud member of the 2011 community team

To expand on the answer you already got, Magic is played in different formats. The rules for each format determine which expansion sets can be used and also if there are any specific cards that are either outright banned or restricted (meaning you can only have one copy in a deck). One of the most common formats, Standard, only uses recent expansion sets (somewhat simplified, the expansion sets in the last two blocks plus the most recent core set). Other formats allow you to use older cards. This provides options both to players who have played for a long time and have lots of old cards and to players who are relatively new. Standard is most affected by rotations: This keeps the format fresh and is obviously also part of a business model that provides an incentive for players to buy cards in new expansion sets.

The different formats are defined here:

www.wizards.com/Magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

If you're just playing with friends you can of course decide to do whatever you want. In my family, for example, we play mostly Standard, but also have a few decks that don't really follow any format.

Sign In to post comments