Orzhov - how competitive?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not a massively competitive Standard player at the moment, but how competitive can we see Orzhov decks becoming? I started out playing mono black and I like the look of some of the black cards coming out but it seems daft not to move out into Orzhov colours as well.
I'm with you on this. Obzedat is just sweet, plus we get access to Sorin. I'm just sad there wasn't a Castigate like card for Orzhov in the set, although the charm is nice.
Blind Obedience = RDW player punching you in face

Your friendly neighborhood Revenant Minotaur Half-Blooded Dragonborn Fighter Hybrid Barbarian Multiclassing into Warlord

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1223957875/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

Honestly, we only have an anecdotal gesture or idea of the meta right now. So it's very up in the air. Try it, tune it, and make it work if you're into that sort of thing.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)

Word.  By sure to laugh maniacally when playing it.
I have a feeling that Orzhov or B/W/x might become part of the metagame if super fast Boros burn decks are as strong as I think they can be. I mean Boros Charm + Skullcrack makes me nervous.
I have a feeling that Orzhov or B/W/x might become part of the metagame if super fast Boros burn decks are as strong as I think they can be. I mean Boros Charm + Skullcrack makes me nervous.

At least in Limited, Dimir was redicculous.  I placed 4th at the Friday night Pre release with a purely BU deck.  Boros was not as big of a threat as I thought. 
t least in Limited, Dimir was redicculous.  I placed 4th at the Friday night Pre release with a purely BU deck.  Boros was not as big of a threat as I thought. 

At every pre-release I go to, everyone says "Guild XXXX is ridiculuous", where XXXX varies each time. With six-booster sealed there is a lot of random variation in pulling good cards.

I went 4-0 with B/W tonight with the pre-realese. The guy wanted to draw out for the packs I played for it glad I did. B/W was some of the ones going undefeated that and sismic. 
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

At least in Limited, Dimir was redicculous.  I placed 4th at the Friday night Pre release with a purely BU deck.  Boros was not as big of a threat as I thought. 

If Orzhov AND Dimir ended up being able to find a place in the meta, that would make me very happy, since those are my two favorite guilds.

The best deck I encountered at the pre-release was a deck with two Wight of Precinct Six, two Paranoid Delusion, and Mind Grind. The Wights were absolute monsters. I got curb-stomped.

Other than that, my Boros lost only one other match in both rounds.

I'm not a massively competitive Standard player at the moment, but how competitive can we see Orzhov decks becoming? I started out playing mono black and I like the look of some of the black cards coming out but it seems daft not to move out into Orzhov colours as well.

The decks that have seen play recently were mostly Exalted decks. The closest ones to competitve were those that used Sublime Archangel and Silverblade Paladin. The trouble with that deck is did it SO much better.

I'm not sure Gatecrash brought much reason to play over but we will no doubt see.

You might not even call such a deck Orzhov in which case I apologize for drifting off-topic.

RDW will become R/wDW to play the insane Boros Charm, and I know I'll be boarding in some Oblivion Ring especially for Blind Obedience.

RDW will become R/wDW to play the insane Boros Charm, and I know I'll be boarding in some Oblivion Ring especially for Blind Obedience.

Obilvion Ring has wider utility, but if you just want to get rid of the odd enchantment, there are cheaper ways of doing that. With RwDW, I would think about Erase.

Obilvion Ring has wider utility, but if you just want to get rid of the odd enchantment, there are cheaper ways of doing that. With RwDW, I would think about Erase.

Thinking about the wider utility too, of course.  It'll go in the SB for the very scary-from-RDW-point-of-view Blind Obedience, but could obviously be boarded in for any number of other annoyances.
If orzhov ends up being competitive, It won't be due to any gatecrash card but blind obedience.
If orzhov ends up being competitive, It won't be due to any gatecrash card but blind obedience.

You don't think that Obzedat will see play?
To piggyback onto this thread, how would you tweak this Orzhov deck posted today:  www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Specifically, if I don't have any Obzedat, Ghost Council or Sorin, Lord of Innistrad, would some other cards help?  I know they probably wouldn't be as good but, hey, I'm not made of money.  thx

Boros won the Saturday pre-release at my store. I had Dimir on Day 1 and went 1-2 and Boros on Day 2 and went 2-1, and the loss was a top decking situation and very close. I don't know who won on Day 2. I really think it depends more on the cards drawn and the quality of the player in terms of both building decks and playing with them, than the guilds themselves. I had very few good creatures in U/B to choose from on Day 1.

You don't think that Obzedat will see play?

It may depending how te meta changes. But right now, aggro is very present and very fast. So tapping out of 5 and not having it stick around as a blocker will often be too dangerous. It would make it nothing more than a biggerhighway robber. So at the 5 mana slot. I think most people will stick with Tusk and play different colors.

Boros won the Saturday pre-release at my store. I had Dimir on Day 1 and went 1-2 and Boros on Day 2 and went 2-1, and the loss was a top decking situation and very close.

First place at my prerelease was also boros. I played Orzhov and arrived 7th. And that was on the back of my rares, as I had no removal except executioner's swing and my creatures were too small to aggro.

But keep in mind that the proportional presence of each guild plays into that as well. Dimir was the most played in my area. So it was in the top 8 based on the numbers alone. Gruul was the least played for some reason. It's a favorite color combination of many players, so it will tend to show up in the winners due to sheer numbers.
Boros won the Saturday pre-release at my store. I had Dimir on Day 1 and went 1-2 and Boros on Day 2 and went 2-1, and the loss was a top decking situation and very close. I don't know who won on Day 2. I really think it depends more on the cards drawn and the quality of the player in terms of both building decks and playing with them, than the guilds themselves. I had very few good creatures in U/B to choose from on Day 1.

I was at the Saturday game Hreth is talking about. I ended 5th with Boros. If I'm not mistaken, I believe 4 of the top 8 that day were playing Boros!

IIRC, the popular guild that day was Dimir. I only saw one player with Orzhov and I think he went top 8 as well.

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules and Formats

Tips & Tricks

Astarael7 wrote:
As for the weird implications you raised, we ignore them by sticking our fingers in our ears, squeezing our eyes shut, and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" at the top of our lungs.
IIRC, the popular guild that day was Dimir. I only saw one player with Orzhov and I think he went top 8 as well.

Dimir was popular on Day 2, as well, but they ran out of Boros, so it must have been popular over the course of the two days. The one Top 8 game I watched on Day 2 was Orzhov vs. Simic, and Orzhov won.

Congratulations on 5th on Day 1!

Sign In to post comments