Can we make our own decks please?

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
My biggest problem with the game is that it don't contain a deck that i really like to play. They should split online play up with people using the games released decks and people using decks they created. For example, I'm playing D.O.T.P. 14 I click on online multiplayer and it asks me if I'm using a user created deck or not and then it logs me into the proper online area. I think this could be one of the greatest Arcade/ PSN store games of all time if they would give us the options that people are asking for.  Maybe this will never happen because their scared it will take user away for Magic Online.
No. If you want to build decks, play Magic Online. Allowing custom deck building in DOTP would eat into MTGO's market.
It's that time of the month again!

This question gets asked constantly. Like all the time. And the answer is always the same.

It will never happen. For economic reasons, for balance reasons, for a whole host of reasons.

MTGO exists. It's a thing. It makes money. No good business would go into competition with itself, especially when it comes down to seriously undercutting itself in the process.

No amount of requests will change that.

I'm starting to think that there is an algorithm that exists to predict the asking of this question.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

You could have full customization, just limit the card pool. Give us 3 blocks, like say, Ravnica, Shards, and Zendikar, along with a core set like M13, and there you go. You can have full customization without eating into the profits of paper products or MTGO, since this format would be vastly different from anything offered by standard or modern.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

You could have full customization, just limit the card pool. Give us 3 blocks, like say, Ravnica, Shards, and Zendikar, along with a core set like M13, and there you go. You can have full customization without eating into the profits of paper products or MTGO, since this format would be vastly different from anything offered by standard or modern.

I mentioned basically something like this in the past for one of these threads. Essentially, what if we just got our own block format to play in that didn't coincide with any of the paper or MTGO current releases. Either a custom set of cards they choose, or maybe a recent block that went out of rotation.

Downsides exist though. If I recall, there are a number of players that tend to only play Block (tends to be cheaper I think). So, if they could get the Block experience for the Duels price, I doubt they'd care about what cards they were playing with. Plus, if the pool uses mostly old cards, they lose that "advertising" angle they've sort of been doing with Duels like showing off new cards or tying into the themes of new sets.
It just seems very strange to me that Wizards is completly ignoring this potential market because of some absurd belief that everyone should be satisfied with either Duels or MTGO, when there are clearly people asking - frequently - for something that's more than one but less than the other.

I think there's more to it than just that.  On one hand you have a customer base who sees cards like Pernicious Deed and wants to play decks with cards like that, but doesn't want to pay $25 for 1 card.  On the other hand you have a company who indirectly profits from cards like Pernicious Deed and doesn't just want to "give away" those cards in a program that they can be used without discretion.

Imagine if you could build your own deck and Natural Order ($30) a Child of Alara ($3) and then search for a Progenitous ($20).  Now that's about as flashy a play you could make.  Wipe every permanent off the board at once, followed by a 10/10 Protection from Everything.  How many people are going to actually dole out the money to make a deck where that's possible?  That deck would be in the $300-400 range.  Even if Wizards of the Coast doesn't directly profit from the sale of individual cards on the secondary market, you know they made a killing in Booster Pack sales so that someone could get those cards to sell you in the first place.  Why would they cut off that profit line by giving us everything we want in a $15 game?

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

--this will never happen because their scared it will take user away for Magic Online.

More accurately, Duels of the Planeswalkers is the $10.00 carrot that leads you to the perpetual spending engine that is Magic: The Gathering.

Ask Wizards themselves.

Or don't, because their response will be "We love hearing your feedback and have passed on your message and suggestion/s to the design team. In the mean time I strongly urge you to check out Magic: Online, because it has the feature/s you're looking for."

So yeah.

Everyone who knows me know how I feel on this topic and I have already talked in detail about how it would effect the game and games outside of this one. We can go down that road again and get nowhere on anyone's point of view or I can simply say, "I would love this feature no matter how it may effect the games outside of this one."

Please lock thread as it is a repeat topic.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

Limited card pool + custom decks + internet = Everyone plays the same boring overpowered deck = I will stop playing
As I said in another thread, you can pretty much exactly do this in MTGO now using the Planeswalker cards format. Basically you can get all of the cards released in all of the DotP versions (with some minimal restrictions) and you can build them into any deck you want (some cards are limited to 1 per deck). You can then play this deck against other players using the Planeswalker format cards.

You will have to spend some money buying Planeswalker card packs but they are only $5 per pack and many packs contain 200-300+ cards. You get 1 pack free (a pack containing cards from the DotP 2013 initial release) with your $10 membership.

But as Dor said, I have seen stories by newbies on MTGO who excitedly built their Planeswalker deck from their initial pack of cards and went out to fight and got utterly destroyed by people with their monsterly overpowered decks (built from a lot of packs by much more experienced players). It would be interesting to see what the Planeswalker meta game has currently evolved to on MTGO.

However, if you really want the deck building experience for a pretty darn cheap price, then the option exists. Of course, there is the UI to contend with.
whats so bad about mtgo interface?  i play there too, but trying to figure out what everyone thinks is wrong with it.....
whats so bad about mtgo interface?  i play there too, but trying to figure out what everyone thinks is wrong with it.....

It looks terrible, especially compared to DotP. I've been playing for a few months and have gotten used to it, but going to it from DotP is really bad. The card art is the only thing that looks okay, and it still isn't very good. I understand they keep it fairly simple because they want to support as many PCs as possible. After being a money sink, though, the UI is easily the worst part of MTGO.
For me the beta MTGO interface is SLOW.  It's still functional, mostly, although it also crashes periodically and did so last night 3 times when I was in a draft ... which meant I didn't get my pick for almost the entire first booster and as a result did terribly in the draft when it auto-assigned me some bad commons.  The worst part was I saw the first pick, and when I went to click on the Abrupt Decay I saw in the first pack, the client crashed.  When it rebooted, I foun that I had 2 bad commons, and before I could choose the next card, it crashed again.  Not money well spent...

The graphics are fine though.  Hopefully given it's a beta, the performance issues will be addressed.  If not, my 2 month infatuation with MTGO will come to an end.
They should just bring MTGO to the PSN/xbox live cuz i rather play in my comfy couch than my PC chair
MTGO is in beta? That thing has looked ugly since it came out like 5 years ago lol
Here's an article about what they changed as of 5 months ago.
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...
I still stick by the argument that Yu-Gi-Oh did it, so why can't Wizards? There is all this speculation that it would potentially hurt their revenues in many different things, but that's exactly what it is, speculation. I highly doubt the arcade version of Yu-Gi-Oh hurt their paper or other digital formats in anyway...
I still stick by the argument that Yu-Gi-Oh did it, so why can't Wizards? There is all this speculation that it would potentially hurt their revenues in many different things, but that's exactly what it is, speculation. I highly doubt the arcade version of Yu-Gi-Oh hurt their paper or other digital formats in anyway...

Actually YGO hasn't been too crazy about video games lately. Last year they didn't make any games like they usually do for the DS, and there's been no annoncements for any future handheld titles. There's another arcade coming up, but the plan there is to sell additional packs for more money. (which is something I don't anyone wants for DOTP)Seems to me they're really cramping down on their video games, and the only reason they would want to do that is they want to lower the number of people buying them instead of their regular product. Otherwise they would be making more video games, but that's obviously not the case.

Besides it would be a risk for MTG that doesn't really get them anything, at best they get more DOTP sales that's pennies compared to paper/MTGO. 2 MTGO booster draft costs more then this game + all the DLCs combined, and that's if you didn't get them through a sale. So yeah it's speculation, but if I was them I would need a better reason then "it might not hurt your main money makers."

Actually YGO hasn't been too crazy about video games lately. Last year they didn't make any games like they usually do for the DS, and there's been no annoncements for any future handheld titles. There's another arcade coming up, but the plan there is to sell additional packs for more money. (which is something I don't anyone wants for DOTP)Seems to me they're really cramping down on their video games, and the only reason they would want to do that is they want to lower the number of people buying them instead of their regular product. Otherwise they would be making more video games, but that's obviously not the case.

Besides it would be a risk for MTG that doesn't really get them anything, at best they get more DOTP sales that's pennies compared to paper/MTGO. 2 MTGO booster draft costs more then this game + all the DLCs combined, and that's if you didn't get them through a sale. So yeah it's speculation, but if I was them I would need a better reason then "it might not hurt your main money makers."

But if they did it the way Yu-Gi-Oh did it, with a limited card pool, I don't see how it could be classified as a risk factor at all. They could still charge for DLC like they already do with the current DotP games, it would only bring in more revenue and fans to the series, many who might go on to MTGO or paper. I guess there isn't necessarily a "good" reason to do it for the company other than probably bringing in a bit more money (which admittedly would pale in comparison to their other products) and more fans who might move on to more Magic related things, but I'd think that would be good enough reason.

I still highly doubt it will happen, but it's definitely plausible IMHO just because of the fact that it's already been done. I also fail to see how Yu-Gi-Oh making less games has anything to do with this discussion, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the arcade game.
Mainly because they want you to go to MTGO or paper for that option, making our own decks is something we all love to do and if we can do it in a cheap DOTP game then there's no way we're going to pay for something signficantly more expensive like paper or MTGO. That's the risk, that we stay perfectly content with our extremely cheap game and not have to spend a penny more. Sure it's possible we'll still move on to paper or MTGO, but it's easy to see which scenario is more likely.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ability to make their own deck in YGO games didn't keep those players from buying the real more expensive product. In fact if you go to any big YGO forum you'll easily find people that hasn't bought a single pack in years thanks to the fact they can build their decks a lot cheaper thanks to video games.

Sure it's been done, but you have to ask yourself why have they stopped doing it? I mean if it's a good thing then why would they go so long without making more? It can a large number of reasons, but the 2 major reasons would be
1. It stopped being profitable, which I doubt since they sell pretty well or the more likely reason 2. it's cutting into the profits of their main product. That's the reason why it's in this discussion, because if it's as harmless as you claim it is then they would just keep making more of them to get more money, right? The fact that they're not shows a distinct possibility that it's doing more harm then good, and that's not a risk worth taking for such a questionable benefit. Especially not since the current formula is working just fine for them already.

Keep in mind I would LOVE for it to happen, but I can see how Wizards would need a hell of a lot more then "our rival company used to do it but not anymore because it stopped working for them"
The Yu-Gi-Oh AI is stupid. It can't evaluate that its stupid to play a creature when i have fire princess,messenger of peace and a card that heals me every my opponnet plays a creature on the field.It kills all its when it dies bring another monster with less than 1500 attack on the fields,because it doesn't knows that the effect of black garden will affect the newly called monster too.If they put Akiza as tag partner into the game,the A>I should be able to handle her deck.
MTGO is in beta? That thing has looked ugly since it came out like 5 years ago lol

There is a MTGO UI beta but the UI still looks like crap.

It took the thread a while but it is getting there. More meaningless "I know more then you" talk and "I am sure" talk. Just waiting for the "business expert" and the "mathematicians" to weigh in now.

It one wanted such a game, one could just (program)build one
however the mana land casting has covered the territory well enough
why would I want to change the system?

The Smoths
Mainly because they want you to go to MTGO or paper for that option, making our own decks is something we all love to do and if we can do it in a cheap DOTP game then there's no way we're going to pay for something signficantly more expensive like paper or MTGO. That's the risk, that we stay perfectly content with our extremely cheap game and not have to spend a penny more. Sure it's possible we'll still move on to paper or MTGO, but it's easy to see which scenario is more likely.

How do you know this would happen? With a limited format I don't think this would happen at all, people would want to know what else is out there.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ability to make their own deck in YGO games didn't keep those players from buying the real more expensive product. In fact if you go to any big YGO forum you'll easily find people that hasn't bought a single pack in years thanks to the fact they can build their decks a lot cheaper thanks to video games.

I actually think it's the opposite, it seems people who get into TCG video games end up trying out the real thing to get the "real" taste, you can find evidence of this on this forum and on Yugioh forums.

Sure it's been done, but you have to ask yourself why have they stopped doing it? I mean if it's a good thing then why would they go so long without making more? It can a large number of reasons, but the 2 major reasons would be
1. It stopped being profitable, which I doubt since they sell pretty well or the more likely reason 2. it's cutting into the profits of their main product. That's the reason why it's in this discussion, because if it's as harmless as you claim it is then they would just keep making more of them to get more money, right? The fact that they're not shows a distinct possibility that it's doing more harm then good, and that's not a risk worth taking for such a questionable benefit. Especially not since the current formula is working just fine for them already.

Neither of those reasons really make sense because if it was cutting into the profits of their main product then why would they be planning another release? And if it stopped being profitable why would they make another one of pretty much the same thing? It obviously did work for them, which is why they are doing it again...

There is another card game in the PSN and it lets you purchase booster packs and decks. I don't see why wizards can't just bring MTGO to the PSN, it's really easy to figure out the crossplatform and to set up a UI that is different from PC version.

You can chat using the on screen keyboard and they can allow voice chat between consoles only, since is not really needed in PC.

They can do it, just like Final Fantasy XI did cross platform, and I believe there are other games that have.

The Yu-Gi-Oh games do have most of the cards in their digital games. However, what they usually do is release a new set either a week before or a week after the video game, and the new video game won't have the new cards in it.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

How do you know this would happen? With a limited format I don't think this would happen at all, people would want to know what else is out there.

Perhaps, but they'll have less incentive to. Like I said before building your own deck is one of the greatest things in magic, and that's something people are willing to pay for. If they don't have to pay for it then even in a limited format like DOTP they can make more then enough decks to keep them happy till next year's release, I know I certainly can, and seeing some of the creative things people done with the limited decks here I'm betting so can our fellow posters. Sure some people will still move on to paper/MTGO, but I'm willing to bet those same people would've gone without deck customization, if anything having the option probably slowed down the process. See you're hoping that having the option will either have the same number of people move on or if you're really lucky more, while also hoping that the people that moved on for the option to deck customization still does so. And really how likely does that last part seem to you?

I actually think it's the opposite, it seems people who get into TCG video games end up trying out the real thing to get the "real" taste, you can find evidence of this on this forum and on Yugioh forums.

I don't see why they would, especially considering the price of most competitve YGO decks these days. While it will get some people for that "real taste" I find that most are willing to keep their wallets closed since they can get most of the benefits off the video games at a fraction of the cost.

Neither of those reasons really make sense because if it was cutting into the profits of their main product then why would they be planning another release? And if it stopped being profitable why would they make another one of pretty much the same thing? It obviously did work for them, which is why they are doing it again...

There's a HUGE difference between a game like DOTP where you can get everything with a 1 time purchase, (especially after it goes on sale) and another where you literally have to keep buying additional content. Yes DOTP has DLCs but all of those together pales in comparison if you want all the content in the YGO game. Obviously the buying pack model can bring in more money then a game like DOTP could, it was literally designed to help make up for it's players not paying for the real life product. Seriously their business models are as different as the games themselves. Unless you want DOTP to be the same way you can't really say that it's ok since YGO's doing it because they're doing things a lot differently.

There is another card game in the PSN and it lets you purchase booster packs and decks. I don't see why wizards can't just bring MTGO to the PSN, it's really easy to figure out the crossplatform and to set up a UI that is different from PC version.

I'm assuming you're referring to Elemental Monster Online. The game was a novel enough idea, but it was really poorly executed and is not even in the same ballpark as MtGO. All of that game's content that is available now was available at it's launch. It is an entirely unsupported, automated pay to win machine. And for that, it's userbase is virtually non existent. Actually, I'm not sure if that game ever took off.

MtGO, and any hypothetical console equivalent it could ever have, requires updates. Function updates, content updates, compatibility updates, *cough*UI updates*cough*.

And that is expensive on consoles, arguably unreasonably expensive. It would be a fiscally unsound venture.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Oh, and as an example to my point stated above, take Dungeon Defenders. It's an indie game that was published on PC, Xbox, and PS3. The devs caught a lot of s**t from their console fans for not including most of their DLC for Xbox or PS3. Their explanation. The costs for supporting the DLC on consoles simply outweighed the gain money the could make in sales.

It's unfortunate, but consoles are just not a welcoming place for things like this.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Yeah, it sucks it all comes down to money.

Will we ever live in a society that is not based on money and profit? That people do things cuz its their passion and they love doing it. Man should had never invented money.

Been watching too many zeitgest movies lol
Will we ever live in a society that is not based on money and profit?

Not as long as there are humans in it.
Will we ever live in a society that is not based on money and profit?

Not as long as there are humans in it.

Chimps have been known to offer things and... ahem... services for things they want, as well.
What are people talking about when they say there is not any new release of Yu-gi-oh coming. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus is coming on the Xbox 360 and on the PS3. This means that Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels could  not have really effected sales outside of the game as they would not have made the next version and then ported it over to the PS3 for the first time. This is another good example of people talking and not know what they are talking about.

So what do we get in Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus:

Decade Duels Plus will add a variety of new features, including:

• Voice and text chat compatibility.

• Over 2,000 playable cards, including cards featured in Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic, GX and 5D’s Decks.

• Hundreds of additional cards and packs for purchase through Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.

• Online Multiplayer with up to four-player Tag Duel for total Yu-Gi-Oh! supremacy.

• Game play customization with user-created rules.

• Multiple game modes including Quick Match, Rank Match and Custom Match.

• Online leader boards to track your stats against anyone worldwide.

For those who think they cant make money with games that use booster pack you would be wrong there too. This game is coming out on the PS3 for the first time. This is all new money on that system. Will cost $9.99 to get on both Xbox 360 and PS3. For all the Xbox 360 owners who already have the one game you will get a free upgrade.

What FREE? Where is the money in that. Well Komami is smart. They are bring all the old player-base back with new cards and new content. This means they have a huge built in group of players to start selling booster packs to. 

Please go ahead and tell me how Yu-gi-oh is not making games, how Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels is cost them money in conversions. How Wizard doing this is a bad thing because it seems to work well for Komami.

What are people talking about when they say there is not any new release of Yu-gi-oh coming. Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels Plus is coming on the Xbox 360 and on the PS3. This means that Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels could  not have really effected sales outside of the game as they would not have made the next version and then ported it over to the PS3 for the first time. This is another good example of people talking and not know what they are talking about.

• Over 2,000 playable cards, including cards featured in Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic, GX and 5D’s Decks.

• Hundreds of additional cards and packs for purchase through Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.

• Online Multiplayer with up to four-player Tag Duel for total Yu-Gi-Oh! supremacy.

For those who think they cant make money with games that use booster pack you would be wrong there too. This game is coming out on the PS3 for the first time. This is all new money on that system. Will cost $9.99 to get on both Xbox 360 and PS3. For all the Xbox 360 owners who already have the one game you will get a free upgrade.

What FREE? Where is the money in that. Well Komami is smart. They are bring all the old player-base back with new cards and new content. This means they have a huge built in group of players to start selling booster packs to. 

Please go ahead and tell me how Yu-gi-oh is not making games, how Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Decade Duels is cost them money in conversions. How Wizard doing this is a bad thing because it seems to work well for Komami.

Ask Wizards.

Seriously, you want to hear their answer.

Well since I'm the only one that said something like that this is directed at me. :p

While I should've been more specific(actually looking back I actually was pretty specific on both types of games) I meant there was no more stand alone games similar to DOTP like they used to do every year on the PSP and DS(there were a few console ones too but those were kinda rare), where Konami doesn't get anymore money after the initial sale. I already said they make money off the buy additional boosters idea, and in fact that's how MTGO works. The problem here it's NOT how DOTP works, and treating them like they're even remotely the same is the bad thing.
No. If you want to build decks, play Magic Online. Allowing custom deck building in DOTP would eat into MTGO's market.

No it wouldn't! I don't know why people you asume this. About 90% of us who play DOP don't and won't spend the money on MTGO. If they game out with DLC every month and let you build your own decks they would make so much money.
@jpoplive: That Yu Gi Oh game still doesn't approach the amount of content that MtGO delivers. On top of that, Yu Gi Oh games don't have a "full digital experience" comparable to MtGO that they would be competing against. You should also factor in the differences in the playerbase. Clearly all of this has contributed to Yu Gi Oh's publishers looking at all the factors unique to their venture and led them to decide "we can make money off this." Wizard's has certainly looked at their own situation and, likely for many of the reasons listed here, decided that there is no money to be made.

No it wouldn't!

Source?

About 90% of us who play DOP don't and won't spend the money on MTGO.

Ooh, statistics. Source?

If they game out with DLC every month and let you build your own decks they would make so much money.

Source?

You state a lot of things as fact with no reasoning.
Wizard's has certainly looked at their own situation and, likely for many of the reasons listed here, decided that there is no money to be made.

I guess I will just use your own words on you: Source?

For all we know this is coming in 2014 unless you got a source saying otherwise?

Jan 27, 2013 -- 11:15AM, DistilledPoison wrote:

Wizard's has certainly looked at their own situation and, likely for many of the reasons listed here, decided that there is no money to be made.

I guess I will just use your own words on you: Source?

For all we know this is coming in 2014 unless you got a source saying otherwise?

What did Wizards say when you asked them?

No it wouldn't! I don't know why people you asume this. About 90% of us who play DOP don't and won't spend the money on MTGO. If they game out with DLC every month and let you build your own decks they would make so much money.

Yes, it would. Sure, maybe there's only a 10% DotP to MTGO conversion rate. But someone who goes to MTGO is worth 10x in profit compared to someone who sticks with DotP. A DotP player might spen $60 over the year with DotP. An MTGO player could spend that much in a month.