Orim's Chant - can it be countered?

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the dynamics of Orim's Chant. The card states that "Target player can't cast spells this turn." So, if you cast it during the opponent's turn during the upkeep step but before the opponent's draw step, then can the opponent counter this instant spell, when the very act of countering Orim's Chant is casting a spell? 

I understand that this card will likely be at the bottom of the stack, but if Orim's Chant completely prevents an opponent from casting a spell, I don't see how (s)he could counter this spell. Is this card as broken as I think it is, or am I missing something?

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand the dynamics of Orim's Chant. The card states that "Target player can't cast spells this turn." So, if you cast it during the opponent's turn during the upkeep step but before the opponent's draw step, then can the opponent counter this instant spell, when the very act of countering Orim's Chant is casting a spell? 

I understand that this card will likely be at the bottom of the stack, but if Orim's Chant completely prevents an opponent from casting a spell, I don't see how (s)he could counter this spell. Is this card as broken as I think it is, or am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the fact that for a spell to have any effect it has to resolve. Prior to that, the spell may be countered.
Orim's chant (like all spells) doesn't have its effect until it resolves. Prior to that point, the target player is welcome to cast spells. As a result, orim's chant can be responded to and countered.
Does it resolve right after the upkeep step, so when the opponent draws a card, Orim's Chant will resolve? I'm trying to understand the stack better - thanks for the help.
Does it resolve right after the upkeep step, so when the opponent draws a card, Orim's Chant will resolve? I'm trying to understand the stack better - thanks for the help.

It resolves in the same step a player cast it.

A turn's step or phase can't end until the stack is empty and both players pass priority. So if you cast a spell (Orim's Chant) in a player's upkeep, this spell will resolve (or be countered) on the upkeep.

[<o>]
A phase/step does not, and cannot end unless the stack is empty and all players pass priority while it's empty.

This means that an Orim's Chant cast during the upkeep step will also resolve during the upkeep step -- not after it. 

Any given spell resolves when it is on the top of the stack and both players pass priority.  Steps cannot end unless the stack is empty and both players pass priority.
So, during the upkeep step of my opponent, the opponent has priority, then passes priority to me, then I cast Orim's Chant. And, does priority get passed back to the opponent during the upkeep step? So, each time a player has priority, it's broken up into two parts: priority and response (?). 
here is how priority happens when Orim's Chant is cast on the upkeep and assuming no responses

Upkeep starts
opponent gets priority, passes
you get priority, cast Orim's Chant
you get priority again, pass it
opponent gets priority, passes, Orim's Chant resolves
you get priority, pass it
upkeep step ends, draw step begins

no sane person would acknowledge all those priority changes, that's where shortcuts come in
proud member of the 2011 community team
So, during the upkeep step of my opponent, the opponent has priority, then passes priority to me, then I cast Orim's Chant. And, does priority get passed back to the opponent during the upkeep step? So, each time a player has priority, it's broken up into two parts: priority and response (?). 

Yes. Each player either play or pass. If BOTH pass, then the last thing played resolves, and then players again gain priority.

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

now, let's break it down how priority happens if your opponent decides to Cancel your spell

Upkeep starts
opponent gets priority, casts Cancel
opponent gets priority again, passes
Cancel resolves countering Orim's Chant

basically

in each step after the turn based action (such as drawing a card in the draw step) the Active Player (the one whose turn it is) gets priority, then the Non Active Player (that's called APNAP order)
after a spell or ability resolves player again get priority in APNAP order

after a spell is cast or an ability is activated the player who cast/activated it gets priority

if all players pass on an empty stack the game moves on to the next step/phase
OK, that makes sense. So, the upkeep can have several "cancel" counters, in theory. 
So, if I cast Orim's Chant, then pass priority, opponent casts a counter cancel, then passes priority, then I cast cancel, pass priority, then opponent casts a counter cancel, etc... if I am the last to cancel then my Orim's Chant goes into play. Whereas, if the opponent is the last to cancel before resolution, then my Orim's Chant doesn't resolve.
A popular (NB: "popular" used very loosely) combo is to put Orim's Chant on a stick.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

So, if I cast Orim's Chant, then pass priority, opponent casts a counter cancel, then passes priority, then I cast cancel, pass priority, then opponent casts a counter cancel, etc... if I am the last to cancel then my Orim's Chant goes into play. Whereas, if the opponent is the last to cancel before resolution, then my Orim's Chant doesn't resolve.

Correct.
Except that we say «Orim's Chant resolves».

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Got it - Thanks everyone!
Wow, look at the ruling for Orim's chant "It will have no effect on spells which were on the stack when it was cast, nor on those cast in response to it.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
back before I was a rules "guru" I didn't comprehend how Orim's Chant worked either

so sometimes it takes someone to explain the finer points to have it sink in properly

giving the OP self-help options is fine, but sometimes we need more personalized help 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

This is the place to get questions answered.  That's why people come here, because they can't find their answer in rule books or FAQs.  People come here with all levels of knowledge - from "how do I tap my mana?" to "explain the layers and timestamps with this specific interaction of Opalescence and Humility."  The people answering questions are doing it as volunteers because they love the game and want to exercise and increase their own knowledge.  This is the best message board on the internet - day or night you'll get a helpful, courteous, and correct response in 5 minutes or less, no matter your skill level.  Please don't ruin it.
At the risk of tanuki ridiculing me, I'm going to ask this question
here is how priority happens when Orim's Chant is cast on the upkeep and assuming no responses

Upkeep starts
opponent gets priority, passes, Orim's Chant resolves

no sane person would acknowledge all those priority changes, that's where shortcuts come in

I think I've been playing the stack wrong all this time. Though, I can't remember a time in which this mattered. I've always thought that priority automatically changed after a spell was cast.

So, could I cast a spell
get priority and cast another spell
get priority and cast another spell
get priority and then pass?

I'm going to scan through the bajillion pages of rules to help cement this in my mind but could anyone give me a section number to speed things along?
yes, after you cast a spell you get priority again
it is assumed that you pass that priority as a shortcut, so you haven't really been playing wrong, just efficient ;)

relevant rules
116.3. Which player has priority is determined by the following rules:
116.3a The active player receives priority at the beginning of most steps and phases, after any turn-based actions (such as drawing a card during the draw step; see rule 703) have been dealt with and abilities that trigger at the beginning of that phase or step have been put on the stack. No player receives priority during the untap step. Players usually don’t get priority during the cleanup step (see rule 514.3).
116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves.
116.3c If a player has priority when he or she casts a spell, activates an ability, or takes a special action, that player receives priority afterward.
116.3d If a player has priority and chooses not to take any actions, that player passes. If any mana is in that player’s mana pool, he or she announces what mana is there. Then the next player in turn order receives priority.
Thanks. That's one of those subtle nuances I never realized.
As stated previously, that was a quote from the "Read this - Creating a Rules Thread".
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
I think it may be best to move on past any non rules arguments. At least in this thread.

Kovacs started with such a friendly "hi all" and we've turned it into something else.
Indeed!
@Tanuki: I'd still recommend brushing up on your bedside manners, though.

A phase/step does not, and cannot end unless the stack is empty and all players pass priority while it's empty.

What about Time Stop? :33 (Granted that empties the stack as part of the process of doing it's whole thing, but yeah)

I'm glad I got your approval. (What's the sarcasm emoticon?)

I'm fond of personally. Dunno if it conveys sarcasm per se, but it's a good all-around emoticon. Otherwise I think your best bet is .
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

I'm fond of personally. Dunno if it conveys sarcasm per se, but it's a good all-around emoticon. Otherwise I think your best bet is .

Thanks. Ima use that

. This is the best message board on the internet - day or night you'll get a helpful, courteous, and correct response in 5 minutes or less, no matter your skill level. Please don't ruin it.

Context edited for space and bold added by me

What about Time Stop? :33 (Granted that empties the stack as part of the process of doing it's whole thing, but yeah)

Can't we all just assume that "unless a card says otherwise" is always attached to any blanketed rule...unless a card says otherwise?
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

While we are on the subject of timing, costs are paid as you put something on the stack. This means they can happen far before they resolve. This is sometimes very important.

My favorite example is a murderous redcap with a -1/-1 counter on it, with its ability on the stack, a power conduit in play, and it being targetted by a lightning bolt.

Stack looks like this,
1) when muderous redcap comes into play it does damage equal to its power to target creature or player.

2) deal 3 damage to target creature (redcap).

If you let the lightning bolt resolve it will kill the redcap which will not persist back because it had a -1/-1 counter on it and then when the come into play redcap trigger resolved it would do 1 damage using last known information.

However if you add the power conduit trigger to the stack on top of the lightning bolt you both remove the -1/-1 counter, and after it resolves add a +1/+1 counter. Thus the redcap will persist back and even after the lightning bolt kills it will do 3 damage using last known information.

Now You can also have the stack set up as,
1) when muderous redcap comes into play it does damage equal to its power to target creature or player.

2) remove a -1/-1 counter from: add a +1/+1 counter to target creature.

3) deal 3 damage to target creature (redcap).

In this case the redcap removed the counter as a cost so the redcap will persist back but its last known information was that it had 2 power bcause the lightning bolt kills it before the +1/+1 resolved so when the come into play trigger happens it does 2 damage.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
While we are on the subject of timing, costs are paid as you put something on the stack.

actually, this is flawed and technically incorrect

Rings of Brighthearth's trigger's cost isn't paid until the trigger resolves, not when it's put on the stack

technically when casting a spell or activating an ability, the object goes on the stack first and then the costs are paid a little later and finaly the casting/activation is done.

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320

technically when casting a spell or activating an ability, the object goes on the stack first and then the costs are paid a little later and finaly the casting/activation is done.

Hold up, are you says that I

first cast a spell
then pay for it?

If that's the case, does priority change during that time? If so, does my countered spell not cost me anything?  This doesn't seem right? 

Is the spell on the stack before or after cost is paid? 
noone gets priority between putting the spell/ability on the stack and paying the cost
technically not even the player doing that has priority
Read CompRule 601 for the precise details on casting a spell.

it's a process that starts with announcing the spell, putting priority aside and putting the object on the stack
then you announce any chosen modes, targets and applicable use of alternate and/or addtional costs and other choices required upon casting
next you calculate the total cost 
now you may activate mana abilities to pay for mana costs
then you pay any costs in whatever order you choose
finally, the spell is cast, SBA's check and any triggers that triggered during the process are put on the stack and the player gets priority back

DJ Vortex

DCI #5209514320