Protean hulk wins

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking at this guy it seems like it should be fairly easy to go off turn 3/4 nut I can't think of a very efficent win to tutor up with him. At the moment the best I have is some combination of viscera seer, disciple of the vault / blood artist, and ornithopter / memnite. Problem is that takes a ton of slots leaving you short on deck manipulation/acceleration. I know there are ways to gain infinite life but that doesn't really win the game

Mythical teachings for summoners pact/Through the breach and Silence when needed makes me really want to make this work, instant speed combos tend to be pretty good.

Back in the day, we flashed him in, but that's not really an option anymore.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Dramatic Entrance also helps.  Teachings for Pact/Entrance.  Pact for Hulk.  Entrance Hulk in.  Grab, 4 Memnite, 4 Thopter, 3 Disciple, 1 Artist, 1 Seer.  Sac the 8 Artifacts to Seer, they lose 32 life, you gain 8, sac the Disciples to Seer, they lose 3 life, you gain 3.  Sac Artist to Seer, they lose 1 life, you gain 1.

That's a net of -36 Life divided between any players at the table you want (1 in this case) and +12 Life for you.  Seems like a good way to win.  You just hold priority once Hulk has fetched your dudes and there's no way the combo can be stopped, it's just getting to that point that's hard.

With mana ramp, you could probably go off turn 4 for 5 with the nutz, and maybe turn 7 at latest if you have to dig.  The combo does eat up a lot of room in the deck though, because idealy, you only want to cast 1 Teachings, either to grab Entrance or Pact (idealy on turn 3, on their EoT).  Not much room for 0-cost redundancies though.  Memnite and Thopter are the only ones.  There is some wiggle room in the combo, since you should only have to deal 20, and even less than that VS Jund.

I don't think this is 1 combo that should be tried to be broken open.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Protean Hulk has to die before you can go all fetch happy.  Just playing him with Dramatic Entrance will get you nothing unless you already have a sac outlet on the table already.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Protean Hulk has to die before you can go all fetch happy.  Just playing him with Dramatic Entrance will get you nothing unless you already have a sac outlet on the table already.

Right....forgot about that detail, I'm just so used to having Hulk die...  Might as well throw in a Slaughter Pact onto the list of cards to tutor for.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Through the breach is just easier than entrance, I see no reason to run more combo pieces. 

4 teachings, 1-2 summoners pacts, 4 Hulk, 4 Breach should be enough because teaching can tutor for either piece of the combo.  If theat wasn't enough I would add merchant scrolls I guess. The win combo I would run now would be 3-4 Dotv 2 Blood Artist 2 Seer 6 0 cost dudes.

I wish there were a 0 cost sac outlet so I could recap people to death. 
The current Hulk win in Modern is Viscera Seer, Body Double, Reveillark, Mogg Fanatic/Bile Urchin/Death Cultist.

Edit: Also, Merchant Scroll cannot tutor Breach. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.