The Rumor Mill - Val'Dara (a teaser)

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Val'Daraan Noble -
Creature - Human Soldier
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control four or more Soldiers, you may transform ~.
First strike
2/1

===============

Regent in Steel
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Double strike
Soldiers you control get +1/+1.
Your opponents can't cast spells during your combat phase.
4/3 
----------------------------------------------------------

Secession -
Sorcery
Sacrifice a land.  You and target player each search your library for a land card that shares a land type with the sacrificed land and put it onto the battlefield. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.

"This kingdom may be yours for now, but I swear to you that shall not last." - Baltanoc, Regent in Shadows
---------------------------------------------------------

Throne of Val'Dara -
Legendary Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, gain control of target creature that shares a creature type with a creature you control and put a fealty counter on it.
Creatures you control with fealty counters on them have hexproof.

A prize that many covet, few may seek, and only one may claim.
I like the fact that you can target yourself with Secession. At first I thought it sucked, but it's similar to Harrow, just more flexible, kinda.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I'm not really sure targeting yourself with Secession would let you get two lands. I wouldn't think so.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

We are very pleased to see Rumor not only visiting, but also designing.
I'm not really sure targeting yourself with Secession would let you get two lands. I wouldn't think so.

I read it as "Target player and target player..." rather than "Target player and another target player..."

Just replace the first instance of "target player" with "you."

It's extremely awkward wording, but would Common Bond still work if it said "Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature and target creature?"  The game should still allow you to target the same creature twice and put two +1/+1 counters on it.

My beef with Secession is that the sacrifice is part of the effect rather than the cost.  Also, it's CMC 2, and therefore strictly better than Harrow in a mono-green deck.  Given that you can assist allies in ramping with it in other formats, I would just keep it at CMC 3.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Just noticed this is a teaser and now I'm hyped.

Also trying to figure out which card to nominate for card of the week. Either Secession or the throne.

Mown, Secession certainly can get you two lands, though like Harrow, you need to sacrifice one to get them. In fact the wording makes we wonder if there's some sort of co-operative element to the set in general, or just if this is a really well designed card that throws a bone to 2HG and co.
My beef with Secession is that the sacrifice is part of the effect rather than the cost.  Also, it's CMC 2, and therefore strictly better than Harrow in a mono-green deck.  Given that you can assist allies in ramping with it in other formats, I would just keep it at CMC 3.

Harrow's an instant.
Your opponents can't cast spells during your combat phase.

that's not very engaging
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Harrow's an instant.

This is true, and I overlooked that.  Carry on then.

But in any case, sacrificing the land should still be part of the cost.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
invasive species instant
Also sacrifice a land to cast this.
Get two basic lands from your deck.
Put each into play under a target player's control.
Shuffle.
~"who knows what's up that creek" -Urlock
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Just noticed this is a teaser and now I'm hyped.

It's actually a teaser to a "game" I'm trying to put together, not a set.  Though working on the story for the game is inspiring me to make cards.

But in any case, sacrificing the land should still be part of the cost.

I honestly didn't spend a lot of time on the wording, but I disagree on having the saccing be part of the cost.  I'd rather make it an "If you do" situation, so it avoids losing the land still if the spell is countered.

that's not very engaging

Elaborate?
-----------------------------------------

Back Alley Mugging -
Instant
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
Draw a card.
What you can't pay with your coinpurse, you'll end up paying with your life.

that's not very engaging

Elaborate?

Holck is a troll.

Holck is a troll.

Trolls belong in the gutter.
----------------------------------------------

Gutter Drudge -
Creature - Human Rogue
Swampwalk
Whenever a player discards a card, add to your mana pool. 
"One man's trash is another's treasure.  Or at least tonight's dinner."
2/1
with every creation
scaffolding is forgotten
and left as debris
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
that's not very engaging

[color=navy]Elaborate?

-----------------------------------------

magic should be allowed to effect your opponents structures

hex proof means a player just builds their own system with out engaging in the environment that all players should share.

NO WAR

Liliana emergent

This is not hexproof.

Go away. 
one sided building mechanics all the same
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Sign In to post comments