dumb question

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I play a Order card that does damage does he take melee damage plus the Order card damage or does the Order card replace the melee damage?
That depends on the wording on the Order Card. Some say "do x damage" in which case you do the damage instead of the normal melee damage. Other cards mention "make an attack and do (sword symbol) +x damage" in which case you do your normal Melee damage +x.

Hope that answers your question.
Palpster has it pretty well covered but it sounds like you might be missing the action-type thing, so just a bit more explaination in case you are; sorry if it's more than you need.

Every order card has an action type written below the title of the card: "Minor", "Standard", or "Immediate".  That's the type of action it takes to play the card.  Immediate actions aren't usually something you attack with so I'll ignore them for now.  Standard actions require you to tap your creature, so playing an order card that's a Standard action requires you to tap.  Minor actions don't, so you can play any number of them during your activation (like Quick Jab).  Using your creature's printed attack is also a Standard action, so if you use that, you can't also use order cards that require Standard actions (unless you can untap your creature, say with Heroic Surge or because it's a Bugbear Berserker).  You can still use Quick Jab or other Minor action attack cards even if you've used or plan to use your basic attack, though.
Thanks for the response. Another question to make sure we are playing correctly. Minor cards can be played at any time even after tapping and as many minor cards that are the correct level and charactersistic?

Example:

My Level 2 Drow Wizard moves 6 and attacks with Order Card Piercing Strike. He deals 10 + 10 damage for a total of 20.

Now he is tapped but I play Minor card Faerie Fire on the same creature I just attacked so the card attaches and on his turn will take another 10 damage.

Now I play Minor Card Web on another creature that is within 10 squares.

Then I play Minor Card Stalk to shift 6 squares to another enemy.

I play Minor card Feint on this creature to tap it.

Then I play Minor card Quick Jab on it to attack for 10 damage.

I can do all this on 1 turn with 1 mini?
Thanks for the response. Another question to make sure we are playing correctly. Minor cards can be played at any time even after tapping and as many minor cards that are the correct level and charactersistic?

Example:

My Level 2 Drow Wizard moves 6 and attacks with Order Card Piercing Strike. He deals 10 + 10 damage for a total of 20.

Now he is tapped but I play Minor card Faerie Fire on the same creature I just attacked so the card attaches and on his turn will take another 10 damage.

Now I play Minor Card Web on another creature that is within 10 squares.

Then I play Minor Card Stalk to shift 6 squares to another enemy.

I play Minor card Feint on this creature to tap it.

Then I play Minor card Quick Jab on it to attack for 10 damage.

I can do all this on 1 turn with 1 mini?

This all works except I think you misread Faerie Fire.  Faerie Fire increases damage dealt to the creature by attacks, so the right play there is to play it before Piercing Strike so you'd do 30 (plus another 20 if you wanted to Quick Jab the same dude).

Faerie Fire stays on the creature for how long? Til it dies?
Faerie Fire stays on a creature until it dies, or is removed by any of a number of effects/orders (all of which will specifically say 'remove order card from creature'; for example a Dwarf Cleric heal, Saving Throw, Undaunted Surge, etc.
When I move and perform a standard action to become tapped, if I play a minor card that says untap. Do I move again or only perform another standard action without moving?
The second one; even if you untap you don't get another move action, just another standard action.  If you did get another move the bugbear would be so broken!
Ok I am starting to get the hang of this game although I can't seem to beat my 12 year old son. He plays the heroes set and it seems over powered to me. I have played the other 3 box sets and have not won yet!

Anyway on to the question!

When I play a Standard card to attack and my opponent plays a Immediate to counter then what? I can play another Standard? I thought I was tapped when I played the first Standard card? Can I play a Minor to counter his Immediate? I dont get the stacking in the rule book.

Examples would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ps - I have never played Magic.
If you play a standard and he plays an immediate, that's it, you're tapped.  All you can do is play a minor, or perhaps do a move if you haven't already.

IMO the Drow is actually the strongest starting box in straight box vs box battles.  The Cormyr box has some major weaknesses.  They are slow starters because adventurers are a bit weak without a dwarven defender to ogive them block, and they often need to store up a large stockpile of order cards because they have many different abilities so they will often have cards they can't use and guys with no cards until they have built up a decent reserve of cards.  At the same time, they mostly move quite slow, having several important creatures with only 5 move, and they have to move together in a clump to keep their Block and Cleric healing.

Try out Kalteros.  The dude has 9 leadership, so right off the bat you should have a stronger starting team than Cormyr.  Now go around and open treasure with Drow and take order cards.  He can't attack you right away because he's a slow starter, a slow mover, and you have a 2 point advantage anyway.  You don't have to attack him either, not until you are ready to kill him completely in 1 turn.  If he moves out of his base towards you, try to play an Umber Hulk to ruin his formation, and make sure your creatures are spread out enough to prevent taking too much damage from fireball if his war wizard is out.  By the time the battle starts, you should have a 2 or 3 to 1 advantage in order cards.  Sure his guys are more powerful and he has some great order cards, but there's no way he can match your sheer numbers of order cards.  Using your movement speed advantage you should also be able to make sure you can initiate the attack when you want to, and you should have enough offensive order cards to make the first attack the last one you need to to get the win.

My gaming group only had 1 box of Drow and 1 box of Cormyr from August to December, so we played that match probably 100 times; we found that Drow should win about 60% of the time if both players play perfectly.  The times that Cormyr won were mostly because of an excellent starting force, an amazing fireball or 2, or the Drow getting very unlucky on treasure. 
My question is about multiple pieces on the board and the activation phase. Does each piece have to be moved and the action taken one at a time or can I decide what order to do it in?

In other words can I move all 3 creatures then decide which ones to attack with as standards then go back and play minors?
Another question. If I play a card that says shift 6 squares... I can shift 6 even if I am next to a enemy?

The Order card that says shift 6 squares, make a melee attack and shift 6 squares.

I can shift 6 up to enemy even if I am starting out next to a different enemy?

I then make a melee attack.

Then I can shift 6 squares away regardless of enemy units locations.

Correct?
Another question. If I play a card that says shift 6 squares... I can shift 6 even if I am next to a enemy?

The Order card that says shift 6 squares, make a melee attack and shift 6 squares.

Correct?

The answer to all these questions is yes.

My question is about multiple pieces on the board and the activation phase. Does each piece have to be moved and the action taken one at a time or can I decide what order to do it in?

In other words can I move all 3 creatures then decide which ones to attack with as standards then go back and play minors?

I don't really think that the rules explain if each creature's activation is separate or not.  I choose to allow creatures to freely move and take actions in between the actions and movements of other creatures in the same warband.  The obvious problem with this policy is that you might forget that you already moved your creature and take an extra movement, but the benifit is that your strategic decisions can be more interesting. 
The order in which creatures take their activation absolutely matters.  During a creature's activation it may take a standard action, move up to its speed (which may not be divided amongst several movement steps, ie: you can't move 3 attack, and then move 4 with a speed 7 creature, once you're done moving you're done moving for the turn), and play any number of minor actions.  Once a creature's activation phase is over that's it; it's not doing any of the above mentioned actions.
I don't really think that the rules explain if each creature's activation is separate or not.  I choose to allow creatures to freely move and take actions in between the actions and movements of other creatures in the same warband. 

Activations are clearly said to be separate in the rules. The way you play is quite wrong.

This is particularly important with cards like Arcane Ritual, which trigger at the end of the activation, and not the turn.

Correct?

The answer to all these questions is yes.

More explanation:
When you are adjacent to an enemy creature, your speed is one. If you kill or move that enemy before your move action, your speed returns to normal and you can move normally. Therefore cards that say shift 6 squares allow you to do just that, regardless of whether or not you are adjacent to an enemy at the beginning of that movement. Cards that say "move your speed" would only allow you to move one space.

You can only activate one creature at a time, and you must finish all aspects of a creature's activation before you activate your next creature (or, if, for example, you do not move your creature during it's activation, you cannot move it after activating a different creature).

The order that you activate your creatures may change from turn to turn. 

Why is this important?

Consider the bugbear. If you could just use all of your creatures all of the time, you could run it up, standard action attack, run up a ranged unit, kill the creature, bugbear untaps, uses an order such as shadowy ambush, etc. It's just too easy! The bugbear is more reasonable if you have to get all your value out of it in one activation (probably your last activation, once you've weakened everything using your other creatures).

Consider the drow assassin. You want to use this creature later on in your turn, after you have forced some enemy unit to tap, so that you know you can get right up to it and score that bonus 10 damage from hidden blade when you end your activation adjacent to it.

Ending your activation of a unit with arcane ritual causes you to draw a card (so you want to use that creature before your other ones, so that you have access to that extra order card).

That all being said, we're certainly forgiving of each other when it's halfway through a turn and I'm all like "oh wait bee tee dubs I wanted to move my drow assassin back a square not just shoot and sit there, completely forgetting to move" as long as it's not changing what would have legally been possible had we actually remembered to move during the activation (for example, if a unit was adjacent, the drow activated, and then during a subsequent activation the unit adjacent to the drow was killed we would not allow the drow to move more than one)
Ok I got all that and thanks for the help.

Another question...

When a Order card has multiple actions on it the opposing player can play cards on each action?

Example: The Order card that says  

Shift 6 squares

Make a melee attack

Shift 6 squares

I would shift 6 squares and  then my opponent can play a Immediate/Minor card to try and get away rendering the rest of the actions undoable as I have no one to attack?  

You can't play a minor on your opponents turn, since your creature is not activated (see it all links together!)
If you could, stalk would be rediculously overpowered for that very reason!

But you could play an intermediate in response to any event that takes place on the board at any time.

So really, your question only applies to cloud of bats, so it shouldn't come up too often. And that card says to prevent all damage anyways so it's a moot point, unless your creature had a magic shortsword equiped, in which case you have come upon an issue which has recieved quite a bit of discussion on these boards, but essentially I think the bottom line is that the damage doesn't occur because cloud of bats resolves first and then the target is invalid since you're out of melee range.