UW Allies Revisited

1 post / 0 new
Hi folks,

When Zendikar was around, UW allies seemed like one of the more promising color combinations (at least for casual; I do believe Naya allies was the only one that was close to being competitive) - and with a few new cards in recent sets, I decided to take another look at it. Pretty happy with the result. :-)

The Azorius Alliance

// Lands - 21

Pretty standard stuff.

// Creatures - 24
[deck]4 Hada Freeblade
4 Jwari Shapeshifter
4 Kazandu Blademaster
4 Umara Raptor
4 Kabira Evangel
4 Talus Paladin[/deck]
And a pretty standard UW ally suite. If I was looking to make cuts/swaps, could definitely live without the fourth Evangel or Paladin.

// Noncreatures - 16
[deck]4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Counterspell
4 Cackling Counterpart
4 Rootborn Defenses[/deck]
And we come to the two newer cards which made me come back to allies - Cackling Counterpart and Rootborn Defenses. Both cards can be a 1-for-1 under not-ideal circumstances - getting another ally, or saving a creature from removal. But both can generate some nice card advantage. Counterpart plus Evangel can save a creature from removal, and even just the pump at instant speed can be a combat trick or save from burn. Flashback itself offers CA, though I'm hopefully ending the game by about the time I hit land 7. Defenses makes creatures indestructible - usually a good effect - but if I've got a Counterpart token, I also get a creature out of the deal. Pretty neat for 3 mana, and the indestructibility alone has won me a game before (opponent played Tornado Elemental to wipe the skies and try to stabilise, Rootborn Defenses in response to the trigger for an extra Raptor, sweep prevention, and the win).

A fun deck - nothing too special, but some good synergies and besides lands - which can easily be swapped with cheaper substitutes - quite inexpensive. Enjoy!

Jax 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O