Direct Damage to Planeswalker

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So cards like Volcanic Geyser can they deal damage to planeswalkers. I'm finding my red deck is really hindered compared to every other deck I could put together.
Not directly, no. However, if you would deal noncombat damage to an opponent, you can choose to have that damage dealt to a planeswalker they control instead. So you can cast the Geyser targeting your opponent, then when the Geyser resolves, you can choose to have the damage dealt to a planeswalker they control instead.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Yes, burn spells can target players can hit planeswalkers.  Note that they still target the planeswalker's controller, not the planeswalker (relevant when that player can't be targeted); you just redirect the damage to the planeswalker.

306.7. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that
opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead.
This is a redirection effect (see rule 614.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering
replacement effects (see rule 616). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the
redirection effect is applied.

Sign In to post comments