If you had 1 bizarre request for 5E what would it be?

139 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's pretend that you could make one bizarre request that you could make for 5th edition and WOTC had to honor your request. What would it be?

My request would be to get rid of the 6 ability scores and make up some completely new ones.

Anyone else have some crazy requests that will never happen? 
I want Fraal to be a core race.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
A classless and levelless point buy module.
Classes as a set of pre-selected options against a backdrop of a classless (but still level-based) system.

Or if that's not crazy enough, armor as DR with class-based defense bonus. 
The metagame is not the game.
How about returning to using races as classes. Elf class, dwarf class, halfling class, etc.

just kidding. 

+1
Sweet!!!
How about a basic version that a 4year old can play so I could play with my daughter?
Get rid of expertise dice for non-fighter classes.
I feel like some people are missing the point of bizarre.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Darksun halflings (2nd ed mechanics can vary) as core halflings.
Scrap the project and instead work on D&D 4.5.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Seconded.

Supporting an edition you like does not make you an edition warrior. Demanding that everybody else support your edition makes you an edition warrior.

Why do I like 13th Age? Because I like D&D: http://magbonch.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/first-impressions-13th-age/

AzoriusGuildmage- "I think that you simply spent so long playing it, especially in your formative years with the hobby, that you've long since rationalized or houseruled away its oddities, and set it in your mind as the standard for what is and isn't reasonable in an rpg."

On a less cynical note, but still somewhat bizarre, incorporate Gamma World game elements as a module.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Seconded.

Thirded

/\ Art

Wild surges. Like proper ones. Bring back the table in the 2e Tome of Magic and bake it into magic so they happen a lot.

(if you haven't cast your eyes over that table, it's totally worth the look. I guarantee you'll laugh)

A Force-User class. Not Psionics or alternate Magic system. Using the Force.

I get by with psionics and reflavoring for now, but I want the book to make my DM acknowledge that I am a Jedi, and he can't say anything about it. Maybe have some kind of shock collar come with the Players Handbook, I dunno.

I don't need lightsabers for that, but it'd be a plus.
Drinking games rules for the resolution of Combat: drink by drink round by round. Man, Talk about a slur -(Shystem Chock) roll from mass damage..Ya buddy!

+1
Sweet!!!

+2

and add... 

bring back Monte Cook      
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax
Kill Character Optimization boards and instead encourage custom content wikis, like a place to post new adventures, maps, classes, spells, and so on. Slap a rating system on it and allow us to search and sort the lists.
Make it an MMORPG that matches the themes and tone of D&D in its visuals, character options, and gameplay, but where the only music in the entire game is muzak and lounge music.
I want the the page numbers printed in ink that has  9 different tastes, 1 for each numeral, so I can find pages in the dark by licking them.
I want the the page numbers printed in ink that has  9 different tastes, 1 for each numeral, so I can find pages in the dark by licking them.

Thread over.  DreadPirateNat wins.

Thread over.  DreadPirateNat wins.

You'd also need one for the 10s place and the 100s place or you wouldn't be able to taste the difference between pages 1, 10, or 100.

The spines of the books should be contistent, but also recognisably different. I want anyone who looks at my bookshelf to know that all that all these books belong together, and I want to be able to instantly pick out the books I want without having to read each title or pull them out to find it.

ooo you could make the spines of the book actual spines.

I have two:

An alternit casting system based on the idea of Mage the Acension, maybe useing the epic seeds from 3.5 as a base, and skill checks with +1/2/3 wands/staff/orb/rod

Tech and era of play rules for everything from stone age to anti-matter sci fi   

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

How about a basic version that a 4year old can play so I could play with my daughter?

+1 to this!
My two copper.
All monster manuals should be scratch n sniff
Uhh. Ew.
I get all the profits...    err...  

Get rid of attack rolls.   1d20+weapon+Str - AC = damage.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Get rid of attack rolls.   1d20+weapon+Str - AC = damage.

Awesome.

And since we are there: HP pool not scaling with levels !
The basic rules should be wrapped in copper foil, the standard rules in silver foil, and the advanced rules in gold foil.
The basic rules should be wrapped in copper foil, the standard rules in silver foil, and the advanced rules in gold foil.

What about platinum and electrum?

Copper foil - Kids version (age 5 and up) 
4 pre-made laminated characters sheets with accompanying specialty figures And extremely simple rules.

Silver foil - Basic Version (age 10 and up)
4 races, 4 classes, no feats, no skills

Electrum foil - Standard version (age 14 and up)
8 races (each with 2 subraces) + 2 hybrids, 8 classes + 8 subclasses, specialties (or feats), backgrounds ( or skills)

Gold foil - Advanced version (highly mathematically inclined)
customizable races (physiology, culture, and environment) + all possible hybrids, further customizable classes (base, theme, role), customizable specialties and backgrounds

Platinum foil - Crazy Advanced (PhD in Theoretical Physics)
Beholders, Illithids, Rakshasas, Dragons, Vampires, Symbionts, etc.
Classless and levelless point buy
12 ability scores
Point buy skills and feats

Here is the kicker.

All 5 types can bring their characters and play nicely together at the same table in the same campaign and have an enjoyable time.

Subscribing to DDI makes you eligible to claim a true fairy dragon familiar the color of your choice. Delivery by summoning (free) or teleport ($2.99 postage).

Question.  Once you found the correct page in the dark.  How do you read it?

My request is simple.  No more versions.  Just one D&D to rule them all.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Braille.  Braille that can be read with the tongue.
Most of the aspects of the 2nd Edition Players Option Book to be added into D&D next as a portion of the Core Rules... 2 sub-ability scores per ability, point buy pseudo-classes, etc. all... I thought that was one of the best rule additions to D&D ever! And it got lost in antiquity...
Also... Change the default "setting" to Planescape and bring back DeTerlizzi!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! 
My request is simple.  No more versions.  Just one D&D to rule them all.

Let's pray that Pelor will answer your calls.

Braille.  Braille that can be read with the tongue.

I guess sometimes the simplest answers to our problems are often right in front of our eyes and we can't see them....errr....I mean mouth... and...umm... taste them.

+4 for ditching the whole concept and making 4.5 instead.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)