The Dungeon Master Experience: Let the Conversation Begin

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Dungeon Master Experience
Let the Conversation Begin

By Chris Perkins

You can't script dialogue between PCs and NPCs, so how do you turn dull conversation into something memorable? I have a few quick tricks that might help you.

Talk about this column here.

Spin the Cliché

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Yet another beautifully-written and useful chapter in my growing Dungeon Master's Guide III!
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Meh- I'd rather have an official DMG 3 written by Andy Collins any day of the year.
Considering the size of the mountains that would have to be moved to make that a possibility, I have no need to denigrate what we have in comparison to a fictional fantasy.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
I watched all of the X-files and read some of their stories. Chris picked the perfect example. Trick 3, totally infuriating, but oh so fun too.

Concisely: I want a system where players don't have to pick between mechanics and roleplaying. I hope 5E fails asap so a better system can be made asap.

( I can't believe what they did to the forums. The sterile lack or color is rather depressing. )