Mana Ramp by color

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of putting together a list of ramp spells available to the different colors.

Green has a ton, and those need not be listed, but I'm not sure I'm aware of all the other colors' cards.

white has Knight of the White Orchid, Kor Cartographer, and situationally Sun Titan.

Blue has Dreamscape Artist and Tezzeret the Seeker if you're running artifact lands (other artifact manipulation seems too sketchy to count).

Black has some creature stuff, Cabal Coffers and some other lands that are a little situational.

Does red have anything? 

3DH4LIF3

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Well, I've been tinkering with this (WARNING: Lots of images): Mana Acceleration cards

All of the pages I currently have in my EDH reference is here: EDH reference.
No claims it's complete or accurate; still a work in process.
Sisters counts... its funny I have one and was just looking at her. I suppose koth counts too. Braid of fire is a bit iffy, same for mana cache, but I think mana flare counts.

3DH4LIF3

Don't forget stuff like conquer, orcish squatters, and annex. And extra-turn spells should count for blue, imo.
For white : land tax and tithe and weathered wayfarer

Colorless : journeyer's kite
Mitotic Manipulation for blue.

Also, some people tend to use "ramp" to mean only getting ahead of the +1 available mana/turn land-drop limit and only if it's a permanent mana source.

So Dark Ritual is "mana acceleration" but not "ramp." Likewise, a card like Armillary Sphere, which can get you land drops on a turn you wouldn't otherwise have one, does not qualify as ramp by this strict definition.

To wit, I think some semantic discussion is warranted before we compile any lists.  
Yeah, none of the cards twistex listed actually ramp.
liliana's shade for black ramp
Grrr... tutoring lands to your hand isn't ramp! Quit it!

Ramp is long term access to more mana. Rituals are not ramp. Expedition map is not ramp.

Sol ring is ramp. Fertile ground is ramp. Ondu giant is ramp.

3DH4LIF3

Double edged:
Gauntlet of power
Gauntlet of might
mana flare
You only:
caged sun

if doubling your mana isnt ramp, then idk

all work with red, or any color tbh

firebrand ranger so it's gruul, but it's still red

Gauntlet styles are colorless. The question was specifically red ramp.

There was one in alara... some naya guy that tapped for colorless... exuberant firestoker. That guy should have made red.

3DH4LIF3

Gauntlet styles are colorless. The question was specifically red ramp. There was one in alara... some naya guy that tapped for colorless... exuberant firestoker. That guy should have made red.

Maybe Caged and Power, however might is specifically a red ramp artifact
If we're talking color identity sure, which isn't unreasonable since this is the edh forum.

I was more specifically looking for lesser known red cards... especially if playable, otherwise I would have mentioned wayfarer's bauble and solemn simulacrum etc. for red.

@Zauzich- that's a cool use for miotic, hit another basic put into okay...

@tremor- everytime I forget about savor the moment. It isn't ramp per se, but its pretty functionally similar to explore.

3DH4LIF3

Sign In to post comments