Giving away card sets I won (Tournament, Sean help set up please)

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
What's up Community.

*EDIT* 
I have Upped the stakes $200 reward along with the card set!  Need a commentator and someone to provide footage.
Hopefully have this up and running by March - April.  Maybe Sean can get wizards to match me and make it a $400 total prize.

*Original Post*
I won some cards from the Raptr questionnaire. Whoopee!!

However, I do not play physical Magic. These cards would go to waste with me. Therefore I am calling out some of the Top Dawgs that I have noticed on here to have a tournament between themselves - a all out brawl for bragging rights and rewards. The winner will win these cards, which are:

2013 Core Set Booster Battle Pack (For Two Players) which includes:

1) Two Twenty Cards Semi Randomized Decks

2) Two 15 card 2013 Core Set Booster Packs (I opened this so it will come with a opened package but I did not open the pack with the cards)

Also you get the: Magic the Gathering From the Vault: Realms Which includes:
15 Premium Foil Cards including 7 with new art.
An exclusive Spindown life counter and a collectors guide.
Also, A magic coloring book, Magic Crayons (lol @ this) A magic 2013 pin and a Sweet Magic Drawing string bag with Jace and Niv Mizzet on it.

Here are some of the people that I have read they're thoughts or played against/with on Magic and I respect they're knowledge.
And for the record - I would like to see them go at it:

***If I spelled some names wrong - apologies, I am freestyling here, names in no particular order***

Brodo
Gregliosch
Stevolutionary
Hakeem928
Pastel Track
Splattercat
Niv_Mizzet1
Sixty4Half
FelBatista
DevilWuster
Jpoplive
hydramarine 
megamaster125
Karstien
Wingspant

Ocal (aka Rhinosea - great game with you the other day by the way - I was that player odi0n with Jace Mill Deck - we kicked a lot off a$$ that day)

Hakeem928 Volunteer's the following challenger's:

Minddrifter
Dj_btrue
Tripp

Wickedy volunteer's the following challenger's:

Maje
Nemo YT
Force
Multeymeteor
PandepicMTG

I would had called out the legends Rob Value, Kenrufo but I don't think they are on here as much as they use to be.  

Either case, let the battles begin!

Community, if I am forgetting some other heavy hitters, give me they're name I will add them if they have enough votes. Lets get this pay per view match going between these knowledgeable heavy weights.

To the people I called out, what say we?
I only play slightly more physical magic than you.

Regardless, I'd like to enter, and I'm honored that my name is mentioned as knowledgable DotP heavywieght, but I only enter/host tournaments when I happen to get an offer for a free month of xbox live, which hasn't been happening recently.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Your welcome. I think I may have a Xbox live free month card somewhere about. I am not sure, but I will check. I think it came with Halo 4 Limited Edition. If I have it, I'll throw it in the mix

*EDIT*
If this can be done with the footage, commentator - there will be a $200 reward, possibly $400 if Wiz decides to match me.
Should be enough to net you more than month's worth of Xbox live and some  
Did not think my name would get tosses in there. I dont play much paper anymore. Some Friday Night Magic but I do like free.

IMAGE(https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/eb11/anyarpxhyntrzn86g.jpg)

Jpoplive,
You been around for a minute and I respect your thoughts - had to include you.
Thanks for the name-drop, appreciated... but Stevo was incorrect, I'm on the Xbox if you ever want to play, GT Hakeem928.

And I'd definately be up for the tournament... I got into paper Magic casually after I downloaded DotP so my card pool is quite small at the moment. 
I'm willing to up the stakes!!

If we can get someone to produce footage of these games (maybe even add announcements like a commentator) create a YouTube channel that will host all the games of the tourney Im down to drop $200 plus the cards I am rewarding.

Somebody has to be willing to host, produce and hopefully - commentate.

No cheat decks allowed you know *cough* Goblin Gangland *cough*

You guys are all pros so I am pretty sure you are ok with that exclusion.

Lets say we set this up and have it running by March - April timeline?

I have always wanted to see you top dawgs go at it. This will be wonderful.
I don't think I beat you recently Stevolutionary. It was a while back and that was when I had a random good partner. Which is rare to hell - I always end up with horrible decision making players.

You always have it locked down with your teammate *thermalstone* so when I see you guys I know for a fact it's over for me if I don't get someone good on my side.

True, aside from Rhino Sea (aka Ocal) I rarely bump into anyone else.
Thanks for the invite. I'm on the PS3 and would love a chance at at least some of the stuff. I have physical cards but only one person I've ever played with. He's the same horrible person that got me hooked on this crack-like game.

My 7 year old daughter would love the coloring book and crayons. She started making cards for her own tbg based on magic.
How cute.
I took her drawings and made her some physical cards with the set editor and printer.

Posted without reading the whole thread, so let me back up and see how we can do this.

Edit: I would so love to record but that would mean a big money outlay for the equipment and I'm just not prepared to do that.
God I would love to though. I have had so many epic games I wish I could look back on and share.
Many LOL's and WTF's

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Oh lord'. lol - I'll check my pm.

You know, it will be a huge effort with the footage, announcement, you guys are pretty solid community I don't dropping $200. I'm not a millionaire, but I could afford it.

Hopefully, Sean can get wizards to match me thus upping it to $400. Get it YouTubed and maybe we can make this a yearly event couple/several months after the last DLC's has been released.

As far a partner, I may have to link up with Rhino Sea or another good player I've ran into Pastel Track. Both these dudes play extremely well.

Oh snap'
Pastel Track I'm going to put you on the main page as a shout out. Almost forgot you guy. Do it later when I get home. I'm mobile now.
@ Devilwuster,
Lol @ your daughter (in a how cute way)

Yes, if I can get someone to record these titanic battles It would be great for this community. You guys can have something to look back at and forward to every year. If this goes well - I will do it again next year.

It's especially more impactful (I feel) because these are the knowledgeable guys (you included) who are always on here breaking down formula, tactics, principles.. Etc.

For the community to see these juggernauts go at it for a money prize reward dangling at the end "It will be like a MMA in here".

Hopefully *fingerscrossed* we will have an announcer hyping it up as he/she commentates on the plays while we watch.

Woo-wee!! Our very own e-sport.
This is where cross format play would be awesome. But since we don't have that we would somehow have to break it into the four formats with no clear winner, just one from each format.
Excellent idea. If you can figure it out, I am game.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

I don't think I beat you recently Stevolutionary. It was a while back and that was when I had a random good partner. Which is rare to hell - I always end up with horrible decision making players. You always have it locked down with your teammate *thermalstone* so when I see you guys I know for a fact it's over for me if I don't get someone good on my side. True, aside from Rhino Sea (aka Ocal) I rarely bump into anyone else.

Well, we've been on a bit of a losing streak recently - down from 3rd and 4th to the mid-20s. Disconnects don't help either! But you do play a very good game. If you advertised for a decent partner, I'm sure you'd do very well indeed.

I wouldn't drop $200 on this tourney either if I were you. I'm sure people would be happy to do it for free. Save your money dude - unless you're a millionaire or something, in which case add a 0 to it!

Oh, and check your PM's for a funny message!

I read your PM. Very funny. Lol. I tried to respond but you recieve msgs from friends. I sent you an invite.

This is where cross format play would be awesome. But since we don't have that we would somehow have to break it into the four formats with no clear winner, just one from each format.
Excellent idea. If you can figure it out, I am game.

I have an idea, it would have to be through steam (hopefully everyone I mentioned has a laptop/pc)
I don't want to spout it out yet - this idea, I will have to ponder it further.

You know with tax refund coming and extra money in pocket to throw around, there's no reason why I couldn't get the steam version.
Let's see what I can come up with. Tomorrow is payday.

Show

Regarding the logistics of organising this cross platform i think an easy solution would be to hold it on Steam (since i presume most users own a PC, the one they use to browse these forums at least) and provide 2 (or more) generic accounts with DotP 2013 and all unlocks (properly protected with secret question in case of account highjacking). This would allow Player X and Player Y to log on Account 1 and Account 2 and play their game. After that match has concluded Player Z and Player W would log on at a different date on Account 1 and Account 2 to play their game.
In the case that these accounts can not be loaned from players you could use some cash out of the 200$ and set up 2 accounts with all 21 decks fully unlocked, and then give them as runner up prizes or even main prizes.
There might be problems or people unhappy (i gues people on Macs and etc.) but i think it's the best solution.

P.S. Pardon any typos and gramatical errors.

P.P.S. Also think about inviting these people:
Maje
Nemo YT
Force
Multeymeteor
PandepicMTG
Hey, what's this? DotP invitational?

I'm flattered to be called for this, and I'm all in for tournaments, even though this one will be very hard to set-up. I was wondering how you are planning to send the prizes to Brazil, in the small possibility that I win. Talking about the prizes, most of my paper Magic these days are drafts, so they wouldn't help me directly, although FtV: Realms can net the winner a good amount of money if he decides to sell it. Also, giving money to someone you met in the internet is a very bold idea.

Long story short, I don't have any ideas to make this work, but I would be happy to play. I'm not the kind of guy that decline invites ;)

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Regarding the cross platform issue, I was thinking. Each person that is on a respective platform can challenge others of the same platform on there. Once there is one left standing of each platform... we can send them over to steam for the final showdowns.

The real challenge here is getting all this recorded and uploaded, and of course a good commentator that knows how to keep the viewer engaged like sports commentators. If we can manage to get this done, as I have said before, I am down to do this every year.

@ Wickedy - I will add them

@ felbatista,
I will mail it to Brazil.
I hope you have a way to convert US money to Brazil money. lol. Will be sending you a US Post Office Money Order
(Unless there is a way to convert it out here. If it comes to that, I will find out)

Godforbid, if this cannot be done, then yea, as has been commentated on here, sure I will sell to interested parties

But... devilwuster get's the coloring book and crayons for his daughter free. I thought that was cute, reminds me of my young relatives. 
This thread has certainly evolved since I last visited this morning... wow. How in the hell did I make this list, anyway??

Like I said before, if this dream could potentially become reality, I'd be all in. Screw the $200 and the cards now, though; I want to be able to face off against brodo, splatter, minddrifter (where is he?), wuster, karstien/tripp, dj_btrue, and all the other PS3/Steam/iPad people that are posting on here regularly. Apologies if your name was missed, that was a quick 15-second run of regular posters...
This thread has certainly evolved since I last visited this morning... wow. How in the hell did I make this list, anyway??

Like I said before, if this dream could potentially become reality, I'd be all in. Screw the $200 and the cards now, though; I want to be able to face off against brodo, splatter, minddrifter (where is he?), wuster, karstien/tripp, dj_btrue, and all the other PS3/Steam/iPad people that are posting on here regularly. Apologies if your name was missed, that was a quick 15-second run of regular posters...

I have a good idea for you: buy a PS3

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

If my card unlocks and decklists were carried across platforms, I would shell out the $10 to buy the game on each one just to play against some different competiton. Wizards, take note.
Oh wow, very honoured to see my name in the list Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't play paper. Another problem would be that I tried a tournament before but timezone differences posed a huge problem to the point where I resigned from that tournament, and I've avoided further tournaments since then. One final dilemma (if that wasn't enough) is that I'm only on xbox (although I think I'll be getting the next instalment on steam).

If my card unlocks and decklists were carried across platforms, I would shell out the $10 to buy the game on each one just to play against some different competiton. Wizards, take note.

dito, although I may need some sort of discount to further entice me as well... (I'm not a skinflint, honest, just currently very short on cash)

dito, although I may need some sort of discount to further entice me as well... (I'm not a skinflint, honest, just currently very short on cash)

Well, there will be (if this Tourny can be done) a $200 reward maybe even $400 if Sean can get the Wiz to match me - should help out with the cash bit

Timezones:
The way I plan to organize the tourney, we can set everything up, dates, match time here in the forum to alleviate such issues. 

Since there would be money at stake, rewards and the whole "meeting of the best" from the forum thing. I want you guys aware, prepped and at your best come battle time.

@Hakeem928,

I added the names you brought up.

Yea, Hakeem I hear you, I am dying to see you guys go at it.
If only Duels had a Theater mode like Halo 4 & Black Ops 2 -- you guys would had only needed to upload your footage and from there we could had splashed a commentator on it. Unfortunately...

To have someone watch the match all you have to do is do a 3v3 and just not attack the one player.

To have someone watch the match all you have to do is do a 3v3 and just not attack the one player.

Bingo!
I have a HD PVR and would be able to record & commentate over XBL games. I could probably even spend a few bucks and get it on PSN and do those as well.
Wow, I had avoided this topic since you asked for Sean's help I just assumed it was a steam tourny.  Thanks for considering me as a "heavy hitter."  I appreciate it.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and if anything gets going I'd be more than happy to accept the invitation.  Hopefully I can get a new computer since my 7 yr old Windows Vista comp finally hit the bricks a month or so ago.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I have a HD PVR and would be able to record & commentate over XBL games. I could probably even spend a few bucks and get it on PSN and do those as well.

Excellent!! You sir are the missing link.

We will set it up as mentioned by Jpoplive - 3 way battle. You can just sit there, record & commentate.
Think your up to it for the whole tourney?  (I know you said XBL & PS3) how about steam? Can you do something on that front? 
Wow, I had avoided this topic since you asked for Sean's help I just assumed it was a steam tourny.  Thanks for considering me as a "heavy hitter."  I appreciate it.

I'll keep an eye on the thread and if anything gets going I'd be more than happy to accept the invitation.  Hopefully I can get a new computer since my 7 yr old Windows Vista comp finally hit the bricks a month or so ago.

Your welcome sir. Let the others know money tourney maybe happening.
This looks awesome can't wait to see the commentary, good luck guys
This seems like it could come together. I really like the idea of the third person doing the recording and commentary. The two playing can always mute the third.

Tactful,
Do to some insight in another thread that had nothing to do with this, the fact that advertising for "tournaments" is a violation of the TOU.

Maybe you could substitute the word "contest" in place of tournament in the thread name. I'm pretty sure you can edit the name.
I would hate for all this work and planning to be shut down.

Show

I'll go against the tide here and say that I don't think adding a third guy in the match is a good idea. It's yet another person that can cripple the game because of connection issues. It also makes some cards like Exsanguinate, Dreamborn Muse and Sangromancer much more powerful. Maybe one of the players can record the match and send it to the person doing the commentary, which can be even one of the other players in the tournament. It would still require one of the players to record the match, so it's probably not the best idea also.

I'll go against the tide here and say that I don't think adding a third guy in the match is a good idea. It's yet another person that can cripple the game because of connection issues. It also makes some cards like Exsanguinate, Dreamborn Muse and Sangromancer much more powerful. Maybe one of the players can record the match and send it to the person doing the commentary, which can be even one of the other players in the tournament. It would still require one of the players to record the match, so it's probably not the best idea also.

He's got a point here. It could be game altering. Unfortualy there would be little chance of people being able to record outside of steam. The equipment to record for console costs $160-180 USD. Steam users could just used FRAPS though. 

The only solution to that life gain stuff would be to keep track of it outside of game i.e. pencil & paper but that's getting a little rediculous then.

EDIT: Dreamborn Muse wouldn't make a difference because it doesnt matter if the third player dies they can still spectate the game. 

He's got a point here. It could be game altering. Unfortualy there would be little chance of people being able to record outside of steam. The equipment to record for console costs $160-180 USD. Steam users could just used FRAPS though. 

The only solution to that life gain stuff would be to keep track of it outside of game i.e. pencil & paper but that's getting a little rediculous then.

EDIT: Dreamborn Muse wouldn't make a difference because it doesnt matter if the third player dies they can still spectate the game. 

If I was to enter the "contest" I would be able to record on all platorms as I use the Elgato Game Capture HD to record and stream live my Xbox 360 and PS3. I also use Xsplit and FFsplit to record and stream my pc. The only problem is I work 50 hour weeks and only play late nights and very early mornings.

@ Devilwuster,

Oh dang! I hope the mod stopped by and saw its a peaceful setup here. I was not aware. Thanks for the heads up. I am not able to change the name title oy a mod could do that.

@ felbatista @ the1udontc,
It's a gamble we are going to have to take - if it interrupts, we can just rematch it right then and there for those involved.

usually when a bad connection is going to be a problem you know right away early in the game. "At least for me" The indicators, start exposing themselves early enough (cards not being played as soon as you press the button, game not moving to next phase when you press your continue button... Etc).

@ the1udontc,
Gotcha, so steam players can download fraps, record, upload file somewhere, which then, you download and from there add your commentative spin - to then reupload it to the YouTube channel for this contest.

Ok... Now were cookin'. PM me your email so we can talk further on how we are going to set this up. This is actually coming together.

@Monk1410,
Thank you.
@ Jpoplive,
Maybe you can record the steam side of things. We can set up the steam battles during the wknds (if you are available during normal hours) and of course if you are able.

We have time this wont go down until March - April. Let me know.
@ Jpoplive @ the1udontc,

You guys can always take shifts, relieves the burden of just one guy doing it all. Just a thought.

I wasn't thinking about killing the 3rd player. I was thinking about the Muse's interation with Jace's Phantasm and Visions of Beyond.

Third player would certainly have to mulligan down to 0 I suppose but yeah it could easily get out of hand if there were howling mines and fonts out there filling hands. 
...or... and I know this sounds crazy, but...

The third player could just instantly concede.

Very simple.

This would kick him off the duel.

Sign In to post comments