Enabling Leader for a mostly ranged party.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ive been in a bit of a conundrum (?). I am involved in two 4e game settings. One is a houseruled home campaign and the other is your standard LFR event. The character type I enjoy the most is a enabling leader. This post concerns the LFR setting, where the party members and roles  have not been consistant. I am trying to build an enabler that can hopefully fill in for a second role if needed (maximizing the sessions I can get a singular character in) There have been a couple things I have noticed thus far:

1) The strikers in these sessions tend to almost always be ranged
2) Other than defenders, most builds tend to avoid being in melee
3) The other players who sign up as leaders tend to run with the "im a healer mentality" and tend to provide little else.
4) When we have controllers they tend to (effectively) focused on AOE control rather than damage
5) Most builds seem to be designed around endurance rather than "alpha striking" 
6) My home campaign build is a warlord/swordmage, so I would prefer to avoid that hybrid combo

The advice I have been seeing on the forumns is that the ideal 5th party member would be  2nd leader so I am hoping to take that spot as much as possible with a strong secondary in one of the other purposes  in order to fill gaps (the least filled slot tends to be controller) The only thing that bugs me about what I am aiming for, is that enabling basic attacks for allies is only worthwhile if the attack I grant them is more effective than my standard action at-wills. 

I looked at the shaman handbook (watcher) and am not really seeing what the class brings to the table that would significantly improve an allies ranged basic attack outside of potentially granting combat advantage. I say this in the context of comparing the ally granted RBA DRR vs the DPR output of playing a second striker myself.  

Is there something I am missing here? Or is there a better RBA granting focused leader than a watcher?

I am not asking for anyone to give me a build, just some pointers on ideal class/feature combinations. Ill hapilly work out the ability scores, race, powers and feats on my own for a build.  
The Shaman power set includes quite a few that grant RBAs to your ranged allies, which is what makes them good for ranged parties. Plus your spirit can body-block and take OAs to keep enemies away from melee.

Anyway, the two other Leaders who work really well for a ranged party are the Archer Warlord and the crossbow Artificer. 
If you don't know the party composition, it's a little rough to be an enabling leader.  You may not have anybody in the party with a reliable basic attack.  Maybe not even the defender, if you're particularly unlucky.

So, what you may want to do is go with buffing/debuffing rather than straight enabling.  Options along those lines might include a cleric|shaman, or something like that.  Somewhere I've got a build for a cleric|bear shaman/tactical warpriest that can dabble in defending if you're interested.  It was based on a cleric|shaman hybrid linked in the complete character builds thread, but is more offensively focused.  It's not really an optimized build though.

For more straight optimized enabling of ranged parties (particularly casters) you may want to look at Killswitch. 
I'm pretty sure shamans don't pile on the bonuses to enabled attacks the way warlords do, although you can probably get something out of a PP from another class.

I've got to second Wishful though that I wouldn't bring an enabler to LFR or any group where I don't know for sure there will be someone worth enabling.  Might as well just hand out a bunch of bonuses that work for anyone. Runepriest is actually pretty great at that. It might be worth a look if you're not familiar with the class.
Hold on guys, I got this.

Warlord or Artificer|Warlord.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

No, because theres a CharOp overarching theory that Warlords can't even grant RBAs. Duh.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

I'm glad someone beat me to it.
I'm pretty sure shamans don't pile on the bonuses to enabled attacks the way warlords do, although you can probably get something out of a PP from another class.

They do have the siongle best enabling at-will in the game, so there's that.

Yeah, for this I'd really advise something with Spirit Infusion and plenty of INT.  Probably Shaman|Warlord or Shaman|Cleric.  Flame of Hope is a good PP for it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Wasn't there a shaman "switch" build out there somewhere?  Flameswitch or something like that?
What level are we talking?

Shamans don't pile on the bonuses as much as warlords do and they don't have many good daily enabling powers or immediate enabling encounter powers, but they can have very good at will enabling, opportunity ranged enabling, and have a few good standard action encounter powers for basic attacks.  There is no reason he can't make a shaman that enables and has some non enabling powers.  The big issue with watchers is that if no one in the party has an RBA the spirit isn't a threat off turn and their best power is Boar's Toss and it only works with ranged basic attacks.  For shamans its can be tricky to set up a build right if you don't know party composition but powers like sly fox spirit and spirit infusion work with either RBAs or MBAs.

If you don't know what your party is going to be, but do expect their to be some good basic attacks I would go with animist.  And shamans hybrid well so something like shaman/warlord or invoker is a good choice as well.

Wasn't there a shaman "switch" build out there somewhere?  Flameswitch or something like that?

Flameswitch, yeah.  Shaman|Warlord/Flame of Hope.

I've been meaning to post a |Cleric variant I've been having some fun with, too.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

No, because theres a CharOp overarching theory that Warlords can't even grant RBAs. Duh.

It's a fringe element conspiracy theory.
Thank you for all the responses. I do concur that trying to optimize a enabler when I dot have the guaranteed basic attack ally probably would not be ideal. The character I am trying to make would be level 11 with the standard 3 magic items + gold. There is an additional caveat I forgot to mention.

Due to fact that this group runs explocily "by the book" (irritating as it is) only lfr legal content is permitted and I will often find myself as a level 11 in encounters scaled for 12's and 14's. The reduced personal accuracy makes "lazy" builds more appealing until I can catch up level wise.

I am trying to determine whether it would be better to focus on enhancing the defenders MBA or trying to boost the RBA of a ranged striker that is not as dependable To be present. Boosting the defender is more efficient but its seems that the warlord style would require me to be in melee where my low defenses would be problematic.
Thank you for all the responses. I do concur that trying to optimize a enabler when I dot have the guaranteed basic attack ally probably would not be ideal. The character I am trying to make would be level 11 with the standard 3 magic items + gold. There is an additional caveat I forgot to mention. Due to fact that this group runs explocily "by the book" (irritating as it is) only lfr legal content is permitted and I will often find myself as a level 11 in encounters scaled for 12's and 14's. The reduced personal accuracy makes "lazy" builds more appealing until I can catch up level wise. I am trying to determine whether it would be better to focus on enhancing the defenders MBA or trying to boost the RBA of a ranged striker that is not as dependable To be present. Boosting the defender is more efficient but its seems that the warlord style would require me to be in melee where my low defenses would be problematic.

Regarding making an enabling leader for an uncertain party, if you sling around enough bonuses, it matters less and less whether the party has good basic attacks out of the box. It's relatively difficult to get both large bonuses to hit/damage and consistent attack grants early on (though a War Chanter can be pretty good at it, if that's your cup of tea), but if you manage to get both on the field, pretty much anyone can at least TRY to take a swing. (The level 17 Psion power Forced Opportunity is one of the easiest examples of this concept, but it's far from the only one.) That might be worth looking into, if you think you can pull it off.
Sign In to post comments