[Contest] Maze

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Let's suppose that with the announcement of Dragon's Maze, Wizards of the Coast revealed a new card subtype shortly after. The subtype is "Maze" and it goes on lands. This is where you come in. How do you think it would play? What do you think it does?

Rules:

• Design a card with the type Land and subtype Maze.

• Give the subtype an identity and a mechanic.

• Do your best to translate how it becomes a theme in the next block.

>>Bonus!<<
Make a creature called Mazemancer.

I'll grade subscriptions when I feel like I've gotten enough (something around 10) and will give points from 0 to 5 to each criteria.
Ok guys do your best!
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Mazes can do something called 'confuse' creatures. Confused creatures can't attack or block until end of turn.
This would of course represent people being lost in the maze. As well as mazes, I forsee other spells that interact with 'confused' creatures.

Living Maze
Land-Maze
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
: Confuse target creature you control. Put a delight counter on ~
: Add to your mana pool for each delight counter on ~
It enjoyed watching people lost, especially if they never got out.

Magemancer
Creature- Human Wizard
Magemancer's power is equal to one plus the number of confused creatures
Magemancer's toughness is equal to two plus the number of confused creatures.
1+X/2+X
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
Golgari Maze
Land - Maze
: Add  or to your mana pool.
Abduct - Exile target creature you control to return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Mazemancer 
Creature - Human Wizard
Flash
If ~ is exiled using any maze land card, return Mazemancer to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
1/2
Mazes don't do anything on their own, much like gates. But get a group of mazes, and you start getting some fun abilities.

Mazes are lands.
It taps for mana. (land)
It taps, along with other mazes, for an additional effect. (maze)
***You can only activate, one maze ability per turn (usually) and you'll see why.***

Narrowing Bridges --
Land - Maze (U)

Narrowing Bridges enters the battlefield tapped.
:T:: Add :WM: to your mana pool.
Tap each untapped maze you control: If you tapped two or more mazes this way, choose an attacking creature, and a blocking creature. Untap and remove all other creatures from combat. (One doesn't have to be blocking or blocked by the other.)

Niv Mizzet found it increasingly entertaining that goblins would charge night and day, repeatedly dropping off into the ocean.

In sort,
Each maze taps for a color.
Each maze has a "Tap each maze you control:" ability. This allows for different effects to take place, but only one each turn. It really plays with the concept of a maze crafted by a Dracogenius.
NOTE: You need at least TWO mazes otherwise you can't activate the second ability at all.

Also note, that mazes wouldn't exactly be powerful effects given that if you controlled exactly two you could trigger them essentially as , :T:: effect... but that also allows them to spread into common much easier.

Finally, mazes will tend towards combat related shenanigans. Not all the same, but they will trigger around the same time (with [maybe] a few exceptions with the rare mazes). The next block will be a heavy combat themed block.

Mazemancer -- :RM::WM::UM:
Creature - Dragon Wizard (R)

Flying
Activated abilities of mazes cannot be activated.
:T:: You may pay :RM::WM::UM:. If you do, detain each creature you don't control. Otherwise, detain target creature.

Niv Mizzet was not the only dragon with a mind for experimentation...
4 / 4
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
NOTE: You need at least TWO mazes otherwise you can't activate the second ability at all.

This isn't true. Null Brooch doesn't require you to have cards in your hand to active, for example. Your activated ability just requires that you tap each maze you currently have.
However, since tapping it is part of the activation cost, that won't work either, since you can't tap an already tapped permanent, so the ability itself can never be activated, regardless of other mazer or not.

Normally I don't comment on contest entries, but rules knowledge is sort of different territory.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

This isn't true. Null Brooch doesn't require you to have cards in your hand to active, for example. Your activated ability just requires that you tap each maze you currently have.
However, since tapping it is part of the activation cost, that won't work either, since you can't tap an already tapped permanent, so the ability itself can never be activated, regardless of other mazer or not.

Normally I don't comment on contest entries, but rules knowledge is sort of different territory.

It was supposed to say 'other'
If necessary I can add the can only be activated if you tapped two or more gates this way. I'll work arounf that, because it's inelegant.
You have to pay the cost, otherwise you can't do something: Rummaging Goblin. But I can understand how mine is different.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Selesnya Outpost
Land - Maze [u]
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Target Green or White Creature you control becomes a guard on ~.
Creatures guarding ~ get +1/+1 and have Vigilance.

Other Guilds:

Azorius: +1/+1 Flying
Dimir: Unblockable
Rakdos: +1/+0 Intimidate
Gruul: +1/+1 Trample
Simic: +1/+1 Hexproof
Izzet: +2/+0 Non-Basic, Non-Gate Landwalk
Boros: +1/+0 First Strike
Orzhov: +1/+1 Lifelink
Golgari: +0/+1 Deathtouch

Most creatures can only guard 1 maze at a time.

Mazemancer
Creature - Shapeshifter Wizard [R]
~ is all colors.
~ can guard any number of mazes.
~ has Power and toughness equal to Three times the amount of Mazes it is guarding plus 4.
X/X

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Do you know what everyone loved? 
Loci

Mazes take their cue from loci because everyone knows the bigger a maze gets the harder it is. They also all tap for colorless because they otherwise would probably get silly fast.

Hall of Mirrors
Land - Maze (C)
: Add to your mana pool.
, : target creature gets -X/-0 until end of turn, where X is the number of mazes you control. 
"Carnival games waste their time showing wanderers their own image, I just show them them the sun. Call it a stroke of brilliance" - Oszus, Mazemaster

(art: Soldier sheilding his face from hundreds of mirrors all reflecting a massive glare at his face)

Dead End
Land -Maze (U)
, : Target attacking creature without flying gets -0/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of mazes you control. Sacrifice Dead End.
"Most find the third dimension of the maze to be a surprise, but their thoughts don't tend to linger on it." - Oszus, Mazemaster

(art: Some creature falling into a pit. Some very surprised creature)

Heart of Mercy
Legendary Land - Maze (R)
: Until end of turn, Heart of Mercy becomes an X/X red Minotaur creature with Vigilance, where X is the number of Mazes you control. It's still a land. 
"Fear not the guardian of the maze, for it shepards the lost to the end" - Oszus, Mazemaster

(Just the shadow of a giant minotaur being cast from around the corner)

I could probably make more mazes, but I can't see there being room for more in a small set, and as ridiculously fun as Maze.dec would be, it would be annoyingly difficult to balance, luckily Thespian Stage is in Block... and you know what, I misread the criteria. I thought you meant Maze would in Dragon's Maze, not the next block. Honestly, it is really too late to chnage my submission, which is both Ravnica themeed and difficult to extend too far without walking a razorwire of power lever concerns. As for how it would fit in Dragon's Maze, it would honestly be mostly left to itself, because it would just be wrong in limited to draft two sets of "Gates matter" and then switch it "Mazes Matter". 

Bonus:
Oszus, Mazemaster
Creature - Vedalken Wizard
Lands you control are Mazes in addition to their other subtypes.
, : You may search your library for a Maze card and put it into your hand.
2/5
"As the Maze reaches critical potency, the city will bend to its will, just as everyone must bend to its will" - Oszus, Mazemaster

Technically doesn't fit the criteria, but Oszus just turned out to be so quotable.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I'll be "that guy" and build mazes around an expansion of our prior examples.  I think the question is, how to make it such that a mechanic like that isn't too narrow, and could justify a keyword//ability word?

Disorient is a keyword action, similar to "proliferate" or "tap."  Only an attacking or blocking creature can be disoriented.  A creature that gets disoriented is removed from combat.  Additionally, disorienting a blocking creature will cause creatures it was blocking to become unblocked (provided they meet all necessary other conditions).  Creatures removed from combat deal and receive no combat damage.

Most Mazes disorient creatures.  A couple of the most powerful Mazes can be even more dangerous to those that attempt to traverse their winding corriders.

Sunhome Labyrinth
Land -- Maze
If Sunhome Labyrinth would enter the battlefield, sacrifice a creature instead.  If you do, put Sunhome Labyrinth onto the battlefield.  If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard.
: Add or to your mana pool.
, : Disorient target blocking creature.  (It deals and receives no combat damage, and it stops being a blocking creature.  Creatures it was blocking that hadn't become blocked by another creature this combat become unblocked.)

How Mazes fit into Gatecrash
In Gatecrash, it's discovered that ancient subterranian mazes spanning across all the guilds exist beneath the surface of Ravnica.  There is a cycle of 10 Mazes, each depicting the winding depths leading to the heart of Ravnica.  Additionally, there are three other Mazes; one maze representing the adjoinment of each of the 10, and another representing the final heart of the maze, where the two surviving guild champions face the champion of the guildless -- an enigma who entered into the labyrinth from the 13th Maze, an entry that had heretofore been shrouded in complete secrecy.

It is discovered that the most powerful of the guildless represent wedges of colors, and destruction of the guilds is their entire goal.  The Engine of the Guildpact, an artifact that has ensured the balance of psyche over the face of Ravnica exists at the heart of the maze; an artifact that the guildless wish to destroy.

--Bonus--

Mazemancer, Champion of the Guildless |
Legendary Creature -- Illusion Wizard
Protection from Mazes
Whenever another creature becomes disoriented, you may discard a card.  If you do, draw a card and Mazemancer deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
"On our own?  No.  It was the dragon who sent me here."
1/1

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
mazes, eh... ai jah
i've gotta assume that if Maze were to become a thing, Nimbus Maze from future sight would be the direction they'd go -- i LOVE when then bring up a future sight card and follow through.. and Nimbus Maze wouldn't be a bad way to go

anyway; for even older throw backs in how i'd handle Maze as a subtype, gonna look at Maze of Ith and Maze of Shadows
so, would go with something along the lines of Maze lands being protectors
most direct way to do that: pseudo-man-lands:

Rules: "Maze" is a land type; Mazes may be assigned as blockers as long as they are untapped.  Mazes are not creatures; they do not have power and toughness; they cannot be targetted by spells that target only creatures.  Mazes cannot receive lethal damage.  Mazes may be targetted by spells and abilities that target only lands.  If a Maze is assigned to block a creature with trample, that creature's controller may have it assign no damage to the Maze and all damage to defending player.

There would be cards to interact specifically with Mazes.
Many mazes would have special blocking abilities.  Depending on their utility, they may have a draw back.
Red would likely not have any direct Mazes, but would have the most creatures that care about Mazes.

Sylvan Maze
Land - Maze
Sylvan Maze enters the battlefield tapped.
Reach

Bloody Maze
Land - Maze
Whenever Bloody Maze blocks a creature, you lose 1 life.

Sunken Maze
Land - Maze
Sunken Maze enters the battlefield tapped.
Sunken Maze can black creatures with landwalk as though they did not have landwalk.
: Add yo your mana pool.

Stone Maze
Land - Maze

Deepwood Maze
Land - Maze
When Deepwood Maze enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you return a creature you control to its owner's hand.
Whenever Deepwood Maze blocks a creature with trample, that creature loses trample until end of turn.

Minotaur Vandal
Creature - Minotaur
Haste
Whenever Minotaur Vandal becomes blocked by a Maze, destroy that Maze.
3/3

Samite Mazemaster
Creature - Human Cleric
Mazes you control may block an additional creature.
1/1

Goran, Lord of the Mountain
Legendary Creature - Dwarf Artificer
Lands you control are Mazes in addition to their other types.
3/3

Maze Kraken
Creature - Kraken
Mazewalk.
As long as you control a Maze, Maze Kraken has hexproof.
5/5

Knight of the Maze
Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
As long as you control a Maze, Knight of the Maze has first strike and is indestructible.
2/2

And:

Mazemancer
Creature - Human Wizard
Vigilance, trample
Mazemancer gets +2/+2 for each Maze you control.
Whenever a Maze enters the battlefield under your control, draw a card.
0/2
Maze is a subtype with rules attached to it. When a creature attacks you, you may choose an empty Maze you control and have that creature enter that Maze. If it does, it remains inside it until end of turn. Generally, as long as a creature is inside a Maze, something happens to it.

Also, as mana producers, Mazes suck. The next to examples just filter mana.

Cage Maze
Land - Maze
(As a creature attacks you, if it's not in a Maze and this is empty, you may have it enter for this turn.)
, : Add or to your mana pool.
The creature inside Cage Maze loses flying.

Bewildering Maze
Land - Maze
(As a creature attacks you, if it's not in a Maze and this is empty, you may have it enter for this turn.)
The creature inside Bewildering Maze gets -1/-1.

There would be cards that are better if creatures are inside Mazes and stuff, but I have to get back to work. :>

Mazemancer |
Creature - Human Wizard
, : Target creature enters target empty Maze.
1/2

Other creatures:

Cornering Squadron |
Creature - Human Soldier
Whenever a creature enters a Maze you control, put a 1/1 white Human Soldier creature token onto the battlefield.
2/1

Guide of Lost Souls |
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Whenever a creature dies, if it was inside a Maze you control, return it to the battlefield under your control. It's a Zombie in addition to its other types.
2/2

- AJD

Edit: Now only one creature can be in a Maze at once.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Maze is a subtype with rules attached to it. When a creature attacks you, you may choose a Maze you control and have that creature enter that Maze. If it does, it remains inside it until end of turn. Generally, as long as a creature is inside a Maze, something happens to it.

Also, as mana producers, Mazes suck. The next to examples just filter mana.

Cage Maze
Land - Maze
(As a creature attacks you, if it's not in a Maze, you may have it enter this Maze this turn.)
Creatures inside Cage Maze lose flying.

Bewildering Maze
Land - Maze
(As a creature attacks you, if it's not in a Maze, you may have it enter this Maze this turn.)
Creatures inside Bewildering Maze get +1/-1.

There would be cards that are better if creatures are inside Mazes and stuff, but I have to get back to work. :>

- AJD

Can only one creature be in a maze at a time?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Nope, that's why the last ability say "Creatures inside...". :>

But a creature can only be in one Maze at a time.

Though, I'm not sure if I should do limit it to one creature - one maze.

Edit: I guess I could make the abilities something like: "Red creatures inside ~ [stuff]" to keep them more balanced or something.
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

Nope, that's why the last ability say "Creatures inside...". :>

But a creature can only be in one Maze at a time.

Though, I'm not sure if I should do limit it to one creature - one maze.

It fits better with the other Mazes in Magic, and could be easier to balance potentially, but it is a designer's choice.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Yeah, and it would be more interesting overall. It adds strategy to the game.

Spacial Anomaly
Legendary Land- Maze
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two time counters on each creature. They gain vanishing.
-An eternity in the void awaits all life. Forever searching for an exit that does not exist.

Mazemancer
Creature- Human Wizard
Flash, flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose one- Put a time counter on target creature; or remove a time counter from target creature.
-Some have begun learning the secrets of the maze, offering temporary salvation to the desperate.
2/1

Well, instead of coming up with a new mechanic, I decided to bring back Vanishing. The block revolves around a huge rift that opened in the sky above some world. Chaos ensues as people begin disappearing into the void. As usual, people react differently to extreme circumstances. Some have given up hope, some have started warring with each other, some thrive and some suffer. A few get together to try and figure out how to close the rift. Will they make it in time? No. No they won't...or will they?

The power level of the creatures will be on the high end, because everything eventually vanishes into the void, one way or another. As for the maze land, if a creature already has vanishing X, this replaces it with vanishing 2.
When they gain vanishing you need to put some counters on them or they die next turn.
When they gain vanishing you need to put some counters on them or they die next turn.

I assumed when they gain vanishing X, it means 'put X time counters on this creature'... Is that not the case?

I assumed when they gain vanishing X, it means 'put X time counters on this creature'... Is that not the case?

Vanishing explicitly states that "When this permanent enters the battlefield", so you have to add the counters manually in any other situation. Kind of like how Delay handles Suspend.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:

No, vanishing only puts counters on the creature as it enters the battlefield.  If a creature gains vanishing, it doesn't automatically get the necessary counters.

However, ChaosLight is slightly incorrect.  It would be an accurate statement for Fading that the creatures would die next upkeep.  However, creatures are only sacrificed with Vanishing when the last counter is removed, not if there isn't a counter to remove.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

Vanishing explicitly states that "When this permanent enters the battlefield", so you have to add the counters manually in any other situation. Kind of like how Delay handles Suspend.

Ah. Thanks. I'll have to add some reminder text to it.
Reminder text wont do it, has to be actual rules text (Ah the subtle differences in life...)
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Reminder text wont do it, has to be actual rules text (Ah the subtle differences in life...)

Haha, ok. How about if I change it to:

Spacial Anomaly
Legendary Land
When ~ enters the battlefield, put two time counters on each creature. They gain vanishing.
Works like a charm. Well, not like a charm, because you don't have three choices, and it isn't a an instant... but suffice to say that there is nothing wrong with that card rules-wsie.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Dimir Maze
Land - Maze (R)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice an island or swamp you control. if you do, it enters the battlefield with a maze counter on it.
: Add [/m] o yo mana pool. f ~ ha a maze one on , nead add&np;[m] to your mana pool.

Constructed viable bouncelands, while also indirectly buffing LD!

Mazemancer
Legendary Creature - Incarnation
As an additional cost to cast ~, tap 5 mazes you control.
, tap three untapped mazes you control: Exile target creature. If it was white, gain 5 life; if it was blue, draw a card; if it was black, target opponent discards a card; if it was red, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player; if it was green, untap up to two lands.
3/7

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Izzet Laboratory
Land - Maze
Maze 2
:ur:, : Add to your mana pool.
, : Counter target noncreature spell if its converted mana cost matches any maze number on permanent you control.

Azourious Courthouse
Land - Maze
Maze 4
 , : Add to your mana pool.
, : Until end of turn, creatures with converted mana cost matches any maze number on permanent you control can't attack.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I did edit my entry, and post a mazemancer and some other information.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Maze of Enlightenment
 Land-Maze
 tap: add U to your mana pool. Protection from creatures. You may block with Maze of Enlightenment as if it were a creature, if you do, it and target creature blocked by Maze of Enlightenment do not untap during their controller's next untap step.

Mazes my block creatures but as a drawback, they and the creature do no not untap on the next upkeep. Bummer for your opponent, but a last minute save. They have protection from creatures as to not be destroyed.
 Mazemancer W3
 Creature- Unicorn Wizard (just because I can [])
Protection from Mazes. Vigilance
3/3
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
secrete passage sorcery
target creature is unblockable to end of turn
Cantrip(After this resolves, draw a card when your next upkeep starts)

Wall Turning Minotaur creature minotaur 
Vigilance
Tap a barrier or wall you control:
  Target creature gains shroud to end of turn
: Tap or untap target barrier or wall.
Return a wall or barrier you control to owners hand:
  return target attacking creature to owners hand.
~"when the world stopped, Minos did not" -gray elf
2/3
NO WAR

They've killed Fritz
I've been shadow banned by youtube my comments only show when I'm logged

does any see my comment here ?

Golgari Swampyard
Land - Maze
Maze - 1
:bgm:, : Add to your mana pool.
, : Return target creature with converted mana cost matches any maze number on permanents you control from your graveyard to the battlefield.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I kind of want Simic, Golgari and Dimir to team up with the "Gateless" to destroy Ravnica's hierarchy.

"Wedge" utility land... with a "Wedge Guildmage"....

* I misspelled "David Rapoza" to credit him for his art on the "Cosmic Sorcerer", from his Deviant Art page.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Whoa, this thread got a lot mor epopular than I would have thought!
Don't worry guys, I said I'd grade it and I will. Just need some free time.
Anyone still wanting to post a subscription, edit theirs or add something else, feel free to do so at anytime. But i'll grade this later on and when I do I'll use whatever it is you have posted.
OMG click HERE! OMG! How to autocard and use decklist format
--->
For autocarding, write [c][/c] with the name of the card inside it. [c]Island[/c] = Island For linking a card to Gatherer without writting the name of said card for readers, use the autocard brackets together with and equal sign and right the name of the real card. Then put the message you want inside the tags, like you would do with autocarding. Like this: [c=Curse of the Cabal]Captain Never-resolves[/c] = Captain Never-resolves For using the decklist format, follow this: [deck] 4* Terramorphic Expanse 4* Evolving Wilds ... [/deck] It equals:
Real signature, Sblocked for space:
57817638 wrote:
I like storm crow because I really like crows in real life, as an animal, and the card isn't terribly stupid, but packs a good deal of nostalgia and also a chunck of the game's history. So it's perhaps one of the cards I have most affection to, but not because "lol storm crow is bad hurr hurr durr".
Listen to my SoundCloud while you read my signature. The Island, Come And See, The Landlord's Daughter, You'll Not Feel The Drowning - The Decemberists by vimschy IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/rkvR.gif)IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/L3es.gif) IMAGE(http://dragcave.net/image/m71H.gif)
Quotes
56747598 wrote:
57295478 wrote:
Although I do assume you deliberately refer to them (DCI) as The Grand Imperial Convocation of Evil just for the purposes of making them sound like an ancient and terrible conspiracy.
Now, now. 1994 doesn't quite qualify as "ancient".
56734518 wrote:
Oh, it's a brilliant plan. You see, Bolas was travelling through shadowmoor, causing trouble, when he saw a Wickerbough Elder with its stylin' dead scarecrow hat. Now, Bolas being Bolas took the awesome hat and he put it on his head, but even with all his titanic powers of magic he couldn't make it fit. He grabbed some more scarecrows, but then a little kithkin girl asked if he was trying to build a toupee. "BY ALL THE POWERS IN THE MULTIVERSE!" he roared, "I WILL HAVE A HAT WORTHY OF MY GLORY." and so he went through his Dark Lore of Doom (tm) looking for something he could make into a hat that would look as stylish on him as a scarecrow does on a treefolk. He thought about the Phyrexians, but they were covered in goopy oil that would make his nonexistant hair greasy. He Tried out angels for a while but they didn't sit quite right. Then, he looked under "e" (because in the Elder Draconic alphabet, "e" for Eldrazi is right next to "h" for Hat) in his Dark Lore of Doom and saw depictions of the Eldrazi, and all their forms. "THIS SHALL BE MY HAT!" he declared, poking a picture of Emrakul, "AND WITH IT I WILL USHER IN A NEW AGE OF DARKNESS -- ER, I MEAN A NEW AGE OF FASHION!" And so Nicol Bolas masterminded the release of the Eldrazi.
57864098 wrote:
Rhox War Monk just flips pancakes, and if games have told us anything, it's that food = life.
56747598 wrote:
76973988 wrote:
This thread has gotten creepy. XP
Really? Really? The last couple days have been roughly every perverse fetish imaginable, but it only got "creepy" when speculation on Mother of Runes's mob affiliation came up?
76672808 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
57531048 wrote:
Nice mana base. Not really.
Yeah, really. If my deck was going to cost $1000+, I'd at least make it good.
99812049 wrote:
I like to think up what I consider clever names for my decks, only later to be laughed at by my wife. It kills me a little on the inside, but thats what marriage is about.
56816728 wrote:
56854588 wrote:
Of course, the best use [of tolaria west] is transmuting for the real Tolaria. ;)
Absolutely. I used to loose to my buddy's Banding deck for ages, it was then that I found out about Tolaria, and I was finally able win my first game.
70246459 wrote:
WOAH wait wait wait
56957928 wrote:
You know, being shallow and jusdgmental aside, "I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
"I later found out that Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates with at least two other people"
56957928 wrote:
Jon infiltrated his way into OKCupid dates
56957928 wrote:
OH MY GOD
109874309 wrote:
The only way I'd cast this card is into a bonfire.
82032421 wrote:
The short answer is that there's no rule barring annoying people from posting, but there a rule barring us from harassing them about it.
56747598 wrote:
Browbeat is a card that is an appropriate deck choice when there's no better idea available. "No better idea available" was pretty much the running theme of Odyssey era.
56874518 wrote:
Or perhaps it was a more straightforward comment indicating a wish for you to be bitten (Perhaps repeatedly) by a small yet highly venomous arachnid.
70246459 wrote:
58280208 wrote:
You're an idiot, and I'm in no mood for silliness.
57817638 wrote:
57145078 wrote:
You just... Vektor it.
That's the answer to everything.
70246459 wrote:
58347268 wrote:
I think the problem is that you don't exist.
This would sound great out of context!
56965458 wrote:
Modern is like playing a new tournament every time : you build a deck, you win with it, don't bother keeping it. Just build another, its key pieces will get banned.
57864098 wrote:
57309598 wrote:
I specifically remember posting a thread when I was just a witty bitty noob.
You make it sound like that's still not the case.
58325628 wrote:
Rap is what happens when the c from crap is taken away.
Doug Beyer:
But sometimes it's also challenging. Because sometimes OH MY GOD, WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?
141434757 wrote:
Flashforward five thousand years (Click for atmosphere) :
57927608 wrote:
to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum, Vektor finds a way.
58347268 wrote:
when in rome **** AND PILLAGE
143229641 wrote:
I always find it helpful when im angry to dress up in an owl costume and rub pennies all over my body in front of a full body mirror next to the window.
Dymecoar:
Playing Magic without Blue is like sleeping without any sheets or blankets. You can do it...but why?
Omega137:
Me: "I love the moment when a control deck stabilizes. It feels so... right." Omega137: "I like the life drop part until you get there, it's the MtG variant of bungee jumping"
Zigeif777:
Just do it like Yu-Gi-Oh or monkeys: throw all the crap you got at them and hope it works or else the by-standers (or opponents) just get dirty and pissed.
57471038 wrote:
58258708 wrote:
It's true that Alpha and Beta didn't contain any cards like Tarmogoyf, Darksteel Colossus, or Platinum Angel. It just contained weak, insignificant cards like Black Lotus, Mox Sapphire, and Time Walk.
Normally it's difficult to pick up on your jokes/sarcasm. But this one's pretty much out there. Good progress. You have moved up to Humanoid. You'll be Human in no time.
91893448 wrote:
94618431 wrote:
I didn't know Samurai were known to be able to cut down whole armies...
They can when they're using lightsabers!
57129358 wrote:
97980259 wrote:
My wife brought home a baby black squirrel they found on a horse track and cared for it for a few days. We named it Grixis, but it died.
Unearth it!
70246459 wrote:
[/spoiler] And I'm on Magic Arcana. How about you? Oh, by the way, I'm also on From the Lab now. Twice, actually. And now with my own submited decklist!
Izzet Grand Chambers
Land - Maze

Tap an untapped creature you control: Choose one — ~ gains ": Add to your mana pool"; or ": Add to your mana pool."

Golgari Swamp Nest
Land - Maze

Tap an untapped creature you control: Choose one — ~ gains ": Add to your mana pool"; or ": Add to your mana pool."

etc...

Mazemancer

Creature - Human Wizard

: Untap ~.

1/2 
He wont grade, I've taught him too well.
He wont grade, I've taught him too well.

you do it then

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Someone should do it.
Your Simic ability's a bit OP, Wynzerman. It's a reusable hybrid Beast Within,albeit one slightly delayed, in exchange for costing less.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt