[Contest] Golgari "Recruiting"

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
(Inspired by Bankai's Simic Contest)

GolgariRecruiting

So...the Simic are celebrating? Celebrating what? They think they're improving upon nature by making new things? Foolish! Death is a constant for ALL beings, just as life is! And I...I will prove that to them.

You! Yes, you! You will help me, because I said so!

To prove to the Simic fools that nature cares not for their games, we shall create a TRUE improvement upon nature--creatures that embrace their death!

I shall give you a creature...and then I shall kill it! You will bring it back as a Zombie (in addition to its original type) with abilities that showcase the beauty and glory of growth AND death. And please, whatever you do...don't just give it undying. That's tired, old, and NOT UP TO MY STANDARDS, YOU IMBICILES.

My first offering shall be...

Aether Adept

IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=227222&type=card)

Now go! Reanimate this creature and make. It. Better.

(Note: Round 1 will last 72 hours or until I get 10 entries, whichever comes first)

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Shadow Savant |
Creature -- Human Zombie Wizard
Whenever Shadow Savant returns to the battlefield, return target creature card from a graveyard to its owner's hand.
"When I return, I'll be bringing others with me!"
2/2

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
AEther Bound Caster 
Creature - Human Zombie Wizard
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, you may exile it and up to one creature blocking it.
It drags its victims to its grave within the AEther.
3/1

(Sidenote sorry: Why are goblin zombies or elf zombies specific, but human zombies are just zombies?) 
Adept of the Veil
Creature - Human Zombie Wizard
When Adept of the Veil enters the battlefield target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a creature card from it. That player discards that card.
"Your soul sings for rest from beyond the veil. Let me silence its desperate cry."
2/2

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Starved Adept
Creature - Zombie Wizard 
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may put a creature with converted mana cost 1 or less from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It is a zombie in addition to its other types.
"Your brains are delicious. My stomach is their new home."
2/2

* Zombies are humans, they just aren't printed that way.
I should just add that I'm a huge fan of flavor, so flavor text will only help you (unless it's just really, really terrible or confusing :P ). Hint, hint, Simon.

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

Aether Ghoul BB1
Creature Zombie Wizard

When Aether Ghoul enters the battlefield, target player loses two life and discards a card at random.
2/2

When her song ceased, the screaming began.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Golgari Adept
Creature- Zombie Wizard
When ~ enters the battlefield, each player sacrifices a creature.
Scavenge
The cycle of nature has become her only ambition.
2/2
Lich Adept

Creature--Human Wizard

When Lich Adept enters the battlefield, return target creature card from its controller's graveyard to his or her hand. He or she loses life equal to its converted mana cost.

Undying 2/3
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Undead Adept
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Other Zombies creatures you control get +1/+1.
Tap five untapped Zombies you control: Put target creature card in an opponent's graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.  It becomes a Zombie in addition to its other types.
"What is more captivating than death?"
2/2

[spoiler]flavor text being a reference to Captivating Vampire with hint at Deadly Allure
Ancient Adept

Creature-Zombie Wizard
When Ancient Adept enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owners hand. If Ancient Adept entered the battlefield from the graveyard, destroy that creature instead.
2/2
Aether deathlord

Creature - Human Wizard
When ~ enters the battlefield, return target creature to its owners hand.
If ~ would be destroyed, instead tap and transform it.
Yes Mrs Flame Zealot, I am smarter than death. NOW TASTE PURE TERROR!

Elevated Mage
Creature - Zombie Wizard
Flying
When ~ dies, destroy target creature, then return it to it's owners hand.

It is unfortunate that being a zombie caused Gnarl's brain tissue to rot away, causing his spells to merge somewhat... 

"PEOPLE DO THINGS FOR A REASON"

- Dave Shedden

Purphoros' Tokens

Dimir all the way

Manipulator Lich
Creature - Zombie Human Wizard
When manipulator lich enters the battlefield destroy target creature then return that creature to the battlefield under your control. It is a black zombie in addition to it's other types. When manipulator lich leaves the battlefield each player gains control of all creatures he or she owns.
1/1
Don't be too smart to have fun
Soul Adept 1BG
Creature - Zombie wizard
When ~ dies, return target creature from your graveyard to your hand.
"Death is my Muse, and the story I tell shall give you new life"
2/3
Zombie of the Half-Moon Night

Creature - Zombie Wizard

When ~ enters your graveyard, return another target creature from your graveyard to your hand.

Zombies are difficult to get kill. It's not the body you want to get rid of, it's the curse...

2/2
Wow, I did not expect this to take off so quickly! The 10-entry mark has passed! :D

(Getting into character now...One second...)

Alas, I have enough for my first demonstration to the Simic! Now sit there and await my judgements!

What's that? You want to know HOW I'm judging your creations? Ugh, fine, if it'll quiet your ramblings while I judge, I shall tell you!

10 points shall be awarded for flavor! Your creations must be creative if the Simic are to see the true power of the Golgari! This means originality as well!

10 points shall be awarded for playability! If your creation is weak or difficult to use, it WILL NOT DO.

5 points shall be awarded for the representation of growth! The Simic must see what true improvement means!

5 points shall be awarded for the representation of death! The Simic must also see that a creature should EMBRACE death, not aim to outlive it!

So my judgements will come with a maximum of 30 points. Whosoever obtains the most from me, his or her creation I shall use against the Simic Combine!

...and then I shall kill another subject for the next round, because killing things is quite fun.

Grades are in!

I won't be in-character for these grades...that might be too mean. So here are my comments and grades for each of your entries, in order from first place to last place.

Ulcaster
Flavor (x/10): So very flavorful! A wizard that kills things and uses them from the grave has an obsession with the cycle of life? Well, duh! :D I think this is flavorful mastery right here! 10/10
Playability (x/10): An ETB all-players-sac? Love it. I don't play scavenge very much, but that's just preference; I can see how useful it could be. 8/10
Growth (x/5): Using scavenge as growth and incorporating it into flavor as part of the cycle of life? Yes. I LOVE that. 5/5
Death (x/5): Making everyone sac and then using scavenge not only as growth, but from the grave? Amazing. 5/5
Total: 28/30

Koridian
Flavor (x/10): I like the flavor text and the references to the other cards . However, you probably shouldn't have posted those cards, because now it seems like you just took bits from them and didn't do much original creation here. Unfortunately, that will hurt your score here. 4/10
Playability (x/10): I'd play it. Then again, it basically already exists as a Vampire, so why wouldn't I play it? 7/10
Growth (x/5): Giving +1/+1? Finally, someone represented true growth! Thank you. Add that to the growing army, which I awarded morticianjohn 1 point for, and you get full marks here! 5/5
Death (x/5): Buffing zombies, creating zombies, recursion, and death flavor text. Spot on. 5/5
Total: 21/30

dtolle
Flavor (x/10): Nice flavor. Really makes the connection between exile and death. 8/10
Playability (x/10): I'd prefer if it triggered when this blocks as well, but still, it's cool. Definitely original and useful. 8/10
Growth (x/5): Where? 0/5
Death (x/5): Connecting exile with death, and then exiling things as it drags them down with it? Nicely done. 5/5
Total: 21/30

vlord
Flavor (x/10): I like the flavor text, and it fits. The name is cool. But the ability is just basic black with a small modification. Not very original or creative. 5/10
Playability (x/10): It doesn't say “from the battlefield”, does it? I see milling and dredging options here! 7/10
Growth (x/5): Returning from the grave is growth, I suppose...but not really. 2/5
Death (x/5): Death trigger, lots of death flavor, and graveyard manipulation? Tons of death here! 5/5
Total: 19/30

moticianjohn
Flavor (x/10): I like the flavor overall, but no flavor text? That'll cost you. Especially since I warned everyone about that specifically. 2/10.
Playability (x/10): Black stealing? Yes, please. It combos nicely with death triggers and acts like a nice one-off Grave Betrayal. And the way it returns things to their owners (apparently still as black zombies) can be very useful on its own! Someone steals something of yours? Put him out and kill him. Done. I really want this. 10/10
Growth (x/5): Growth of an army, I suppose? Or, no? I don't know. I really don't see any growth in this card. I'll give you a point in case it was supposed to be growth of an army, but meh. 1/5
Death (x/5): Killing things? Check. Turning them into the undead? Check. Death trigger? Check. Lich? Check. Yes, this has it all. 5/5
Total: 18/30

FirstTurnKill
Flavor (x/10): I like the name. The flavor text is okay, though not very original. The abilities are also quite basic (although you get a bonus point for allowing politics by not restricting it to your own graveyard). 6/10
Playability (x/10): Basic recursion with the added benefit of politics. 5/10
Growth (x/5): Recursion only. See above. 1/5
Death (x/5): It says “returns to battlefield”, which I guess means only after recursion or the like. So there's that. And graveyard manipulation. 4/5
Total: 16/30

HairlessThoctar
Flavor (x/10): Again no flavor text? Maybe I should have put that warning up in the first post...I also don't understand the flavor of why it's ancient? Nothing but the name says “old” to me... 2/10
Playability (x/10): It's nice. It's an Aether Adept that, when it's recursed, kills stuff. I only wish it had a little more synergy with itself instead of requiring recursion with another card (i.e. giving it Unearth or something). 7/10
Growth (x/5): I don't see growth. Seems like a common problem, though, so don't feel too badly about this. Though there's not even recursion, but it does have a recursion trigger, so... 2/5
Death (x/5): Recursion trigger and killing. Decent. 3/5
Total: 14/30

SimonGlume
Flavor (x/10): The flavor text is good, if a bit silly. Nothing wrong with silly, I suppose. I like the name, and the flavor text fits with it, but I don't see how the mechanics match up. 5/10
Playability (x/10): It steals from graveyards, which is nice, but only small things, which limits it. It turns them into zombies, but it doesn't make them black (which most of those effects do so they can avoid destruction by many non-black-only spells). It's okay, but not great. 4/10
Growth (x/5): Recursion only. Not really growth. See some of my comments on other entries for details, I guess. 1/5
Death (x/5): Graveyard manipulation, making zombies, and eating brains. Nice. 4/5

Dudibus
Flavor (x/10): Flavorful. Pretty flavor text. I'm just a little unsure about whether discard is a way of silencing a cry from beyond the veil. I still like it, though. 6/10
Playability (x/10): Again, I do like discard...but it's mostly just a basic black effect. It's still balanced and playable, though. 6/10
Growth (x/5): I see no growth. 0/5
Death (x/5): The Veil is the only death representation here. Discard is half-death, but really uncast cards aren't alive yet. 2/5

CandyWife20
Flavor (x/10): Flavor text is good. I like how the screaming is represented as discard. But there's just something about it that leaves me feeling unsatisfied...like it's not enough somehow. Sorry I can't be more specific, but there it is. 5/10
Playability (x/10): I do like my discard effects...but it seems like just a mix of basic black effects. Still, it could be fun to play, and it's balanced. 6/10
Growth (x/5): Growth? What growth? 0/5
Death (x/5): Discard is half-death, but really uncast cards aren't alive yet. Being a ghoul and draining life are the only death representations here...and since there are plenty of Zombies with “Ghoul” in the name (and the Zombie aspect was a requirement), not much here either. 2/5
Total: 13/30

ChaosLight
Flavor (x/10): Flavor text is nice, and it's a nice reference back to Aether Adept. I'd have gone with “pen” rather than “muse” for parallelism, but no biggie there. Other than that, though...quite basic. 4/10
Playability (x/10): It's definitely playable, and not overpowered. But it's actually got the opposite problem: it's quite weak. It's like a delayed Cadaver Imp that trades flying for +1/+2. Maybe it's just preference, but I'd choose the imp over this every time. 2/10
Growth (x/5): Again, recursion to me does not represent growth...just reanimation, which is different. 2/5
Death (x/5): Death trigger, graveyard manipulation, and references to the soul? Works for me. 4/5
Total: 12/30

bay_falconer
Flavor (x/10): No. Flavor. Text. And then you used undying, which the first post clearly says is an unoriginal, bad idea. 1/10
Playability (x/10): I'd play it. Definitely should be fun to steal stuff from graveyards twice, sap life, and come back bigger. If you'd have left it at I'd have complained, but seems fair enough to me...at the very worst having it as uncommon would assuage any fears of undercosting. 7/10
Growth (x/5): The only growth here is undying, which I specifically warned against. For that, you get nothing. 0/5
Death (x/5): A lich. Graveyard manipulation. Life draining. Pretty good. 4/5
Total: 12/30

Mccreator
Flavor (x/10): I don't understand the flavor text of the Aether Deathlord...am I missing a reference here? I do really enjoy the flavor of the Elevated Mage, though . 6/10
Playability (x/10): It's basically just an Aether Adept. Not much has changed. As if that wasn't bad enough, you forgot to give it a power and toughness. Also, I don't understand the mechanics of the Mage...I mean, I get it, but other than flavor, why kill it before bouncing it? Just for death triggers? I don't know...this is a confusing card with too many issues. 1/10
Growth (x/5): I see no growth here. In fact, the rotting brain flavor is more decay than growth. Although I suppose learning to fly after death is a kind of growth...maybe? 1/5
Death (x/5): Death triggers and murder and rotting brains. Good. 3/5
Total: 11/30

Congratulations, Ulcaster! Your Golgari Adept will be used as an example to the Simic! Besides, its name tells them who really runs the natural world .

Some lessons to learn from Round 1:
1) Always have flavor text. Always. I mentioned it before, but some people still forgot, so I'm reminding you again: always have flavor text.
2) Recursion (bringing stuff back from a graveyard) is only barely growth. When I think of growth, I think of +1/+1 counters or other P/T boosts, maybe swapping a card for a higher-CMC card, stuff like that. Simple recursion is not growth-representative enough.
3) Creativity entails reinventing the creature. Don't just replace its abilities one-to-one with Golgari-like abilities. Make it related thematically to the original, but be ORIGINAL .

Now that that's said and done...

ROUND 2 BEGINS NOW

Blightsteel Colossus
IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=221563&type=card)

That's right! I've found a way to kill this thing! Now bring it back to life! Make it a zombie! And make. It. Better.

(Again, 72 hours from now or after 10 entries, whichever comes first)

*Notice: From round 2 and on, I'll be offering up to 2 extra bonus points if you include a rendered card image for your creation. If you don't already have it, you can make renders using Magic Set Editor, at this link. Then just put them online either using Dropbox, imageshack.us, photobucket.com, or any other host.

This rules addition means everyone now has a total of 32 obtainable points, but they'll still be graded out of 30, making the render simply extra credit. 1 point will be awarded for having the render, and 1 if the render accurately portrays your creature. DeviantArt.com is a nice place to find images for this purpose.

I honestly didn't read your criteria or your grading rubrik, so I'm suprised I got any score :p
I honestly didn't read your criteria or your grading rubrik, so I'm suprised I got any score :p

Oh, you :P . Maybe next round you'll have an idea of what the contest actually is? :P

I wont be entering again as people who have time to search for art will have points on me.
Hey! I won round 1. Cool. I'm glad you liked the card.

I'll have to think up something for round 2...

Ok. Here we go.

Rotsteel Colossus ()()()()()()()()
Artifact Creature- Zombie Golem
Trample
You may cast ~ from your graveyard.
Sacrifice ~: Put 8 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield.
Life rises from within the shadow of death.
8/8
Risen Colossus 15
Creature- Golem Zombie
Affinity for Zombies
Trample, Intimidate, Infect
If Risen Colossus would be put into the graveyard from anywhere, sacrifice a zombie creature you control and return Risen Colossus to your hand.
If you thought it was hard to kill before...
IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img526/9128/risencolossus.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img526/9128/risencolossus.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us)' />
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I don't like the idea of art being part of the judging criteria.
It has nothing to do with the design of the card and there's only so many pictures that look like they could maybe be a zombie version of Blightsteel on the net. 
I don't like the idea of art being part of the judging criteria.
It has nothing to do with the design of the card and there's only so many pictures that look like they could maybe be a zombie version of Blightsteel on the net. 

It's only extra credit points, not part of the main judging criteria. If you don't have a render, that's fine And I won't necessarily need it to look like the original--who knows what kind of mutations and changes happen when you're zombified? ;)

Golgari Colossus :bgm::bgm::bgm::bgm:
Artifact Creature - Golem Zombie
~ can be cast from your graveyard.
~ cost for each poison counter on your opponents.
Trample, Infect
Whenever a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it dies, put a 1/1 green saproling creature token onto the battlefield for each -1/-1 counter on that creature.
Saproling creatures you control have infect.
What an intriguing find. Lets see what will grow on it.
11/11

(Odd side note: why did the golgari make so many blue/black creatures in round 1?) 
Only two days left to enter round 2! Keep the entries coming, everyone! :D

Undercity Titan
Artifact Creature - Giant Construct Horror
Trample, deathtouch.  Undercity Titan is indestructible.
If White mana was used to cast Undercity Titan, it loses deathtouch.
If Blue mana was used to cast Undercity Titan, it loses trample.
If Red mana was used to cast Undercity Titan, it is not indestructible.
If colorless mana was used to cast Undercity Titan, it gets -8/-8.
"It doesn't need to be stable.  It doesn't need to be sustainable.  We won't be needing it for long." -- Jarad, Lich Lord
16/16
Art from http://willmorenoart.deviantart.com/art/Blightsteel-Colossus-197329324
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/evfi2BM.jpg)
Blightsteel Ruinator
Creature - Golem Zombie Horror
Trample, infect, indestructible
If Blightsteel Ruinator gives a player one or more poison counters, put a +1/+1 counter on Blightsteel Ruinator and deal one damage to you. 
You may pay  and discard Blightsteel Ruinator from your hand or pay  and cast Blightsteel Ruinator from your graveyard.
Blightsteel Ruinator can only be cast from a graveyard.
It learned to be twice as scary, which nobody thought was possible. 
Blightsteel Flesh Golem
Creature - Zombie Golem
Trample, infect, indestructible 
As an additional cost to cast ~, exile 12 creature cards from your graveyard.
When Blighsteel Flesh Golem enters the battlefield under your control, you get five poison counters unless it was cast from your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you get five poison counters.
"My blood, sweat and tears went into my doomsday device. Mostly blood." - Journal entry
12/12
One day left! 24 hours and 17 minutes left! :D Keep entering, people; the more the merrier...or, in the case of the Golgari, the more the eviler :P

I wont be entering again as people who have time to search for art will have points on me.

Sorry I missed this post before. They won't have "points" on you, just extra credit. All grades will still be out of 30 and the person with the highest percent score--not total points--will win .

I don't like golgari enough and didn't expect it to be multi round. I just had a nice idea for round one :p
Bump
Hmm...life has delayed me. Round 2 is now closed! I'll be grading this sometime within the next 4 to 8 hours

I love Aether Adept, so I'll post a response even though that round is closed

Aether Marauder
Creature - Zombie Wizard (R)

Whenever ~ or another zombie enters the battlefield under your control, sacrifice a creature and return target creature to its owner's hand.

P/T: 3/1
Round 2 Grades Are In!

A short explanation of the new grading system, since I had to take into account the extra credit render points:

Your "grade" is the toal number of points you got, divided by 30, expressed as a percentage. Notice it's out of 30, not 32, so the render points are only extra credit, not main score elements. And in fact, you'll be surprised to learn that the first rank that had a render was 3rd place, so it's definitely not as important as you might think! :D

Now, onto the grades! These are in order from first to last place:

dtolle
Flavor: The name isn't very creative, but the rest is pretty cool . The flavor text is borderline Simic research, but still possibly Golgari agriculture, so it's okay. And an infector that turns its kills into plants? Nice . 7/10
Playability: Assuming that second ability was a typo and you meant it costs less for each poison counter on your opponents, it's very nice! Synergistic abilities that work well with its infect ability, the possibility of getting it down to 4-cost, and derp generation when it kills stuff? I would love to play this! 9/10
Growth: Saprolings grow out of the weak and dead? Nice. 5/5
Death: Infectious Saprolings that grow from the dead, leading to more dead and perpetuating the cycle...can't get much more deadly than that. 5/5
Render: None. 0/2
Total: 26
Grade: 86.6666666667

Koridian
Flavor: The name is a great start! The instability of a reanimated corpse is an idea I've never heard much of, and I love it! And the way the colors interact with their opposing colors, and the reference to Jarad...I'd kiss you if I knew you in real life. This is flavor heaven. Congratulations on a perfect score here. 10/10
Playability: Let's see...an 8-drop that, unless you use all colored mana, is an 8/8, otherwise it's a 16/16. If you don't use white, it's a deathtoucher. If you don't use blue, it's a trampler. If you don't use red, it's indestructible. Really, there are so many possible combinations of abilities here it's hard to decide if the cost is appropriate or not. But I do think I'd play it in my Golgari deck where all mana is black and green :P . Just out of sheer bewilderment as to the fairness of this thing, 7/10.
Growth: I don't see much growth represented here, although I guess I see some “anti-growth” flavor: using colorless mana makes it get smaller. For that, you get a few points. 3/5
Death: Deathtouch and zombies. Pretty good, though undead-ness is a required criterion. The Jarad reference gets you a point, though. 4/5
Total: 24
Grade: 80

SilentSoldier
Flavor: I like the name. The rest is...meh. It gets bigger when it infects people? Okay...it can ONLY be cast from a graveyard? Sure. I guess that makes sense with its being a zombie and all. But it's not got amazing flavor, and the flavor text is...meh. 5/10
Playability: I feel like it should cost some more specified mana. Like 7BBBB or something. Although the infect, poison counter trigger, trample, and +1/+1 counters tell me it should be green somehow, so maybe 7BBGG or even just 9BG would be a little better. 10B just doesn't seem balanced... There are templating issues here which make it less elegant, but the fact that it gets bigger IS nice. So overall...6/10
Growth: Gets +1/+1 counters when it infects? Growth it is. Lots of growth. 5/5
Death: Can be discarded and only cast from a graveyard, and gets bigger the more it kills people with infect? Pretty good, though bordering on recursion. 4/5
Render: It's there, so +1, and I love the art, so +1. 2/2
Total: 22
Grade: 73.3333333333

Ulcaster
Flavor: The idea of the colossus dying and releasing the Saprolings is pretty cool The flavor text is a bit lacking, though. I love the name “Rotsteel” . Overll, 7/10
Playability: 8-drop 8/8 trampler that can be recursed at will and makes derps. Nice. The hybrid mana makes sense, and it seems pretty cool, but not much originality in the way of mechanics. 6/10
Growth: It dies and Saprolings grow out of it? Definitely represented there. 4/5
Death: Can be recast from the graveyard. Kind of recursion, which is pushing it, but at the same time it dies to allow the Saprolings to live, so that's flavorful death. 4/5
Total: 21
Grade: 70

Candywife20
Flavor: It's okay. It's a basic zombified colossus. The name does explain the mechanics, though. 6/10
Playability: It's expensive, but at the same time it's a 13/13 trmaple, infect, intimidator. So a one-shot kill most of the time. With affinity for zombies? Wait, what? In a zombie deck, this thing becomes a cheap one-shot kill that's hard to get rid of. As fun as that sounds, I'd say it's quite overpowered. Maybe if it had wither instead of infect, or if it was easier to block, but...it doesn't and it isn't. It would have been 7/10, but I have to dock points for the extreme OP-ness of it. 5/10
Growth: Other than “it's grown since it was Blightsteel”, I don't see much growth represented here. 2/5
Death: Saccing zombies is like double-death :P . 4/5
Render: It's there, so +1, and it fits well, so +1. 2/2
Total: 19
Grade: 63.3333333333

SimonGlume
Flavor: I adore this flavor! It's a golem made from the flesh of the dead? Love it! Using your own blood to create it (I assume that's what the excessive poison counters are?) is inspired! The flavor text is great as well, though I wish I knew WHOSE journal it was. 9/10
Playability: I feel you may have overdone the drawbacks. In a black deck, graveyard exile can be pretty bad. But only being able to keep it around 1 or 2 turns before it poisons you to death? Yuck. I mean, yes, it justifies the 1-drop cost, but I think it'd be much more playable if it cost and only gave you one poison counter per upkeep instead. And a drawback for recursing it in a black (and GOLGARI, specifically) deck? That's just mean. It's one of those rare cards that's broken because it's too underpowered. And it's even rarer to have an underpowered card that's a 12/12 infector. 4/10
Growth: I see no growth represented here. 1/5
Death: Made from corpses, kills you as it kills others? Lots of death. 4/5
Total: 18
Grade: 60

Congratulations, dtolle! Your Golgari Colossus will be used to set an example to the Simic Combine!

*Getting back in character...*

Ah, yes! A Colossus to call our own, and really show those Simic what life and death are all about. Good...goood...

ANOTHER! I DEMAND ANOTHER!

Frenetic Efreet
IMAGE(http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=3535&type=card)

Yes. That will do. It's all wrong...so it must die! Now make. It. Better!

*Out of character*

I hope this last round showed you all that the render is naught but bonus points, so don't be discouraged by that! The criteria are still the same and I'll be using the same grading process this round as last.

Zenobitic Efreet
Creature - Zombie Efreet
Gravewalk (If an opponent has a creature in their graveyard, this creature is unblockable.)
When a creature enters the battlefield, flip a coin.  If you win the flip, destroy that creature.
He calls to the flesh, urging it to join him in oblivion.
4/4

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Cruel Efreet
Creature - Spirit Efreet
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, each player sacrifices a creature.  For each creature sacrificed this way, you may pay .  If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Cruel Efreet.  Otherwise, Cruel Efreet deals damage to you equal to its power.
Betrayed by his former master, he vowed vengeance on all life.
3/3
Demented Efreet 2 U/R U/R B
Creature - Efreet Zombie
When Demented Efreet enters the battlefield, flip a coin. If you win the flip, destroy target creature.
2: Exile Demented Efreet, then return it to the battlefield under your control.
He disappears then reappears in the blink of an eye, each time taking with him another victim.

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img692/8314/dementedefreet.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img692/8314/dementedefreet.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us)' />
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Rotfetish Emissary
Creature - Efreet Zombie
Flying
~ enters the battlefield tapped. 
When ~ enters the battlefield, flip a coin. If you win the flip, you may exile another target creature or planeswalker. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on ~, where X is equal to that card's converted mana cost. If you lose the flip, return ~ to your hand, then draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.
"I don't consider myself a gamblin' man since the word gamble suggests I have a chance to lose." - Doc Setzer, the Jack of Hearts
2/1
Infernal Efreet            2BR
Creature - Efreet Zombie

Flying, Haunt
When Infernal Efreet enters the battlefield or the creature it haunts dies, exile target creature.

Sometimes, Death brings stability.

3/3

lol, if ever a creature deserved that terribly used mechanic, it's a revived Frentic Efreet. 
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Graveborn Efreet
Creature - Zombie Efreet (R)

Sacrifice a creature: Graveborn Efreet gets +2/+1 until the end of turn.

Remove target creature card in a graveyard from the game: Graveborn Efreet gains flying until the end of turn.

"Only when it sates its hunger can it recall skills from the past."

2/1