Force Commando

so, i have a legacy era game coming up and could use some help making a character. well im looking at a force-sensitive commando who works for the chiss ascendancy. he is a deep-cover operative who is working to return the fel dynasty to the imperial throne. mechanics-wise he would be a somewhat stealthly warrior that emphasizes on blasters with some melee here and there. his force abilities would be limited to battle-strike, using it to enhance speed/strength/jumping, etc.   any imput would be fantastic

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Based on your brief description, I’m feeling Scout and Soldier are candidates for this guy.

I would start the guy off in Scout to get a couple extra skills, and give him the Informer feat to make him trained in Gather Information. I’m not really sure which force powers to give him, maybe Battle Strike, maybe Mind Trick?

For skills, I would say:
-Perception
-Initiative
-Stealth
-Knowledge (bureaucracy or galactic lore)
-Survival
-Pilot or Mechanics

As for talents, the Scout-Spy talent tree from Force Unleashed seems appropriate. The Awareness talent tree from Core Rulebook is also good. I can’t find any force talents that fit your archetype. For Soldier talents, the Commando talent tree seems good.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Based on your brief description, I’m feeling Scout and Soldier are candidates for this guy.

I would start the guy off in Scout to get a couple extra skills, and give him the Informer feat to make him trained in Gather Information. I’m not really sure which force powers to give him, maybe Battle Strike, maybe Mind Trick?

For skills, I would say:
-Perception
-Initiative
-Stealth
-Survival
-Pilot or Mechanics

As for talents, the Scout-Spy talent tree from Force Unleashed seems appropriate. The Awareness talent tree from Core Rulebook is also good. I can’t find any force talents that fit your archetype. For Soldier talents, the Commando talent tree seems good.

hmm, that's good to start from.  so, he decided to give us a array of 18,16,14,14,12,10. and we are all level 6. i think i'll go even on the scout/soldier levels. he's a human by the way

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

For skills, I would say:
-Perception
-Initiative
-Stealth
-Survival
-Pilot or Mechanics

hmm, that's good to start from.  so, he decided to give us a array of 18,16,14,14,12,10. and we are all level 6. i think i'll go even on the scout/soldier levels. he's a human by the way

Why such high Strength? He going to be a cloak and vibodagger kinda of guy? If you want shooting ability plus decent force ability, use these. 14,18,14,10,16,12. Scouts get some many skill that you can just add ur 1st few score bonus to Int and have a Wis you will not have to change and decent Cha for Use the Force checks.

The advice on the trees from richter on spot on.

As for force power, use mind-affecting abilities, such as mind trick and from the clone wars source book there is a cloak power as well that would be perfect here, just dont go overboard on the force stuff. Also surge and maybe move object to give a range.

Epic Star Wars nerd and proud customer of Wizards since 1999. Founding member of the Mandalorian Jedi Tradition. Creator and Editor of the Ultimate Dream Builds Follow me on Twitter @Master_Valkar
Show
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Ranger.jpg)D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

He's just showing the array he has to work with MasterArkaine although I actually wish he hadn't.  With those stats I effectively consider the character +1 level higher then he actually is and may even be pushing +2 levels higher in effectiveness.

As for the concept I believe starting is Scout is almost a must as this character is more about skill then anything else.  I would shoot for training in the skills I figure I'll use the most and those which require training to use.  I also like using levels in Soldier when ever possible but for this kind of character I may consider dipping into Scoundrel; I get the Point Blank Shot feat but I'd also gain access to training in a number of skills the Scout doesn't get and I would likely use that level to take Fool's Luck.  If there is a chance he will use a lightsaber then taking a level in Jedi is a must.

Now the reason I mention Fool's Luck is because of what it can do for your skills.  For the cost of a FP you can +5 on virtually all of you skills (not those you have Skill Focus in but most of the rest) for the duration of the "encounter" and I believe that "encounter" can actually cover a lot of time giving you plenty of time to make use of that added skill.  This is also why I say you want training is skillls that can only be used trained; Fool's Luck can bring many skills like Gather Info or Deception up to the level most people get with training but if you need to be trained to use a skill it doesn't actually help.

Now are you looking at an NPC, a "solo" type character, or will this character be working with some kind of group?  If it's working with a group what can you say about the rest of the characters as that can produce areas this character wouldn't need to worry about as much. 
He's just showing the array he has to work with MasterArkaine although I actually wish he hadn't.  With those stats I effectively consider the character +1 level higher then he actually is and may even be pushing +2 levels higher in effectiveness.

those stats were given to the whole group. and i agree that they seem to be overpowered, i even mentioned it to our GM.

As for the concept I believe starting is Scout is almost a must as this character is more about skill then anything else.  I would shoot for training in the skills I figure I'll use the most and those which require training to use.  I also like using levels in Soldier when ever possible but for this kind of character I may consider dipping into Scoundrel; I get the Point Blank Shot feat but I'd also gain access to training in a number of skills the Scout doesn't get and I would likely use that level to take Fool's Luck.  If there is a chance he will use a lightsaber then taking a level in Jedi is a must.

Now the reason I mention Fool's Luck is because of what it can do for your skills.  For the cost of a FP you can +5 on virtually all of you skills (not those you have Skill Focus in but most of the rest) for the duration of the "encounter" and I believe that "encounter" can actually cover a lot of time giving you plenty of time to make use of that added skill.  This is also why I say you want training is skillls that can only be used trained; Fool's Luck can bring many skills like Gather Info or Deception up to the level most people get with training but if you need to be trained to use a skill it doesn't actually help.

yeah, i was shooting for the skill-monkey on this one. i might take a level or two in scoundrel later on for some more sneakyness. which book is fool's luck in?

Now are you looking at an NPC, a "solo" type character, or will this character be working with some kind of group?  If it's working with a group what can you say about the rest of the characters as that can produce areas this character wouldn't need to worry about as much. 

for clarification my group consists of a wookie jedi combat-monster, a sullustan techie/pilot, and a twil'lek noble.
the jedi and techie are the GM's brother and sister repectively. and the noble is his wife. 

I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
God stats always chaff my hide.  I mean if you use them against "normal" opponents you can cover up all kinds of weaknesses (who needs BAB if you have STR/DEX to power your attacks?  Take all those stats down two points (basically removing a +1 to everything a character does) and you have normal stats.

Fool's Luck in a Fortune talent that you can find in the SECR under the Scoundrel but available to other classes such as the Gunslingers.  In exchange for spending a FP it can give you  +1 attack, +1 to all your defense scores, or a +5 circumstance bonus to all of your skill checks for the duration of the encounter.  I'll note that the skill bonus is typed through the errata so it doesn't stack with skill focus and I'll also note that the +1 defense would apply to a vehicle you are IN and not just piloting.

Now if the rest of the group is working with you I assume the twi'lek is the "face" of the group and can handle many of the CHA based skills.  I'd also assume techie/pilot covers the "big" Use Computer checks as well as moving you from place to place; as an infiltrator type I'd still like to have Mechanics as a trained skill and possibly get Use Computer as well although it isn't quite as important.

I know most concepts can be filled multiple ways but a skeleton of what you're looking at from me may be Scout3/Soldier3/Jedi1/Vanguard1/Gunslinger1.  Vanguard is in the CWCG and requires a couple talents to get into from Camoflage or Commando trees plus being trained in Stealth; I use it for the +4 FORT Defense and also as a way to get Evasion later.  Gunslinger is in there to eventually get access to the Fortune talent tree and Fool's Luck without giving up more BAB; you could throw in a level or three of Scoundrel (giving up a point of BAB) to get Fool's Luck earlier.  I say a "level or three of Scoundrel simply because I rarely see a benefit to taking an even level of Scoundrel if I'd be taking an even level of Soldier or Jedi.

To be a skill monkey, I would put up your INT to at least 14 and start in Scout. It has all the almost all the skills you’re looking for except Gather Info, which is why I recommended the Informer feat. But if you don’t want to burn a feat on Informer, ask your GM if you can use the Background optional rules from Rebellion Era book. With certain backgrounds, you can gain Gather Info as a class skill at level 1. Then you can use one of your (minimum) 8 starting skills to train in Gather Info at level 1.

PS: I forgot to list training in Endurance, which is needed to gain the Shake It Off feat, which is a starting feat for the Scout. Also your CON needs to be at least 13. Aim to have all these. If you decide to start your CON at 12 at level 1, then you can bump it to 13 at level 4 and gain Shake it Off immediately.

EDIT: With these starting ability scores:

STR 14, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 10.

...this is what I see: Excellent ranged attacker, good melee attacker, Stealthy and Perceptive, hard to hit, skill monkey, and the ability to add 4 force powers with a single selection of the Force Training feat. Shake it Off at level 4 with CON stat bump.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

To be a skill monkey, I would put up your INT to at least 14 and start in Scout. It has all the almost all the skills you’re looking for except Gather Info, which is why I recommended the Informer feat. But if you don’t want to burn a feat on Informer, ask your GM if you can use the Background optional rules from Rebellion Era book. With certain backgrounds, you can gain Gather Info as a class skill at level 1. Then you can use one of your (minimum) 8 starting skills to train in Gather Info at level 1.

PS: I forgot to list training in Endurance, which is needed to gain the Shake It Off feat, which is a starting feat for the Scout. Also your CON needs to be at least 13. Aim to have all these. If you decide to start your CON at 12 at level 1, then you can bump it to 13 at level 4 and gain Shake it Off immediately.

EDIT: With these starting ability scores:

STR 14, DEX 18, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 16, CHA 10.

...this is what I see: Excellent ranged attacker, good melee attacker, Stealthy and Perceptive, hard to hit, skill monkey, and the ability to add 4 force powers with a single selection of the Force Training feat. Shake it Off at level 4 with CON stat bump.

I agree with SteveO that this group of stats number is very overpowering. I love the skill monkey concept as well. Richter again hit the nail here though with stats build and concept. keep in mind that we had limited info from Mindless before I posted my first comment

Class wise I would first  Scout using the Awareness or the Spy tree from The Force Unleashed SB. the Scoundrel for the free Point Blank and Fool's Luck is also required of any Skill monkey. I would avoid picking up a Jedi level unless your Jedi friend starts to teach/train you as the story goes on. Taking a level or two in Soldier might be good if you need Weapom Specialization and pick up better armor using ability. Gunslinger or Infiltrator (from Force Unleashed) are good future moves on the Prestige class side

On a personal note, this campaign sounds very fun, keep us posted on the journey please
Epic Star Wars nerd and proud customer of Wizards since 1999. Founding member of the Mandalorian Jedi Tradition. Creator and Editor of the Ultimate Dream Builds Follow me on Twitter @Master_Valkar
Show
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Ranger.jpg)D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Sign In to post comments