4 cards ftw

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
so made this deck on a whim thought it was dumb had to try it, it could probably be better but this is what i got so...

2 Jace, memory adept
3 laboratory maniac
4 extirpate
31 relentless rats

12 islands
8 swamps
surgical extraction saves you a mana when you wanna exile all your rats and drop maniac ftw same turn?
I like it, but it seems unstable, milling yourself for 31, still have about 25 to go
too complicated.  Leveler and Laboratory Maniac is all you need :p

seriousy though, this is pretty cool.  Laboratory Maniac is one of my favorite "win the game" cards so far.  I'm still waiting for them to make a "when you have 0 or less life, you win the game instead" card haha
I'm still waiting for them to make a "when you have 0 or less life, you win the game instead" card haha

Can't see it happening. They'd have to make it so expensive or design it in such a way that it wouldn't ruin competitive formats (so it'd likely not see any play), and then in casual it'd run the risk of just stopping any deck that doesn't have suitable removal. Oh sorry, you're playing monogreen ramp+stomp? You just can't win against my win-at-0 card.

As for the combo - Selective Memory + Treasure Hunt is a pairing that works fairly well. Can even team it up with Zombie Infestation for an alternate wincon.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I remember someone using a phyrexian unlife/soul conduit combo deck that worked that way
It's not exactly a single card that lets you win the game for having 0 or less life... At least for that you require 3 cards (those two, plus some method of going to 0 life - a common one back in the day was Trespassing Souleater, could take you right to 0 if you were on an even life value, or 1 then swap + swing if you were on an odd value).

If you have the 3 cards and they have no way to interact with them, you deserve to win.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O

Can't see it happening. They'd have to make it so expensive or design it in such a way that it wouldn't ruin competitive formats (so it'd likely not see any play), and then in casual it'd run the risk of just stopping any deck that doesn't have suitable removal. Oh sorry, you're playing monogreen ramp+stomp? You just can't win against my win-at-0 card.

it's as easy as giving it a Phyrexian Unlife type ability like "whenenever you're dealt damage you gain that much life instead, when you have 20 or more life you lose the game"  followed by the "win at 0" clause.

I could even see a sorcery version with a Final Fortune type drawback like "until end of turn, if you have zero or less life you win the game instead.  At the beginning of the end step you lose the game"

either way I just like cards that say "you win when you would normally lose."  I think it would be funny to even have a card that says "if you would lose the game this turn, you win instead" but I know that will never EVER happen :p

also for the deck, Gatecrash has a 12 mana card that's totally stupid and insane but would be funny with Laboratory Maniac and perhaps a Sins of the Past effect:  Enter the Infinite
Transcendence - but then, it's too easy to get yourself to 0 life if you actually want to, even without damage. The majority of self-damage is done via life loss, not damage. Near-Death Experience is close enough, IMO. Actually, I don't even mind an effect that says "whenever you are at 0 life, you win the game", because that at least needs a second card to enable you to survive at 0 life. The replacement effect though, of "if you would lose the game for having 0 or less life, you win the game instead" is too easy to abuse or be unbeatable in casual.

In competitive they probably couldn't make it cheap enough to be worth playing. Actually, on second though, I might be open to some variant of it being casual playable. After all, there's already a bunch of combos which are open to abuse, like Buried Alive and Living Death (the bane of many a casual playgroup). They'd just have to be pretty careful with it - it can't simply be the "if you would lose the game for having 0 or less life, you win the game instead", because that screws over too many decks on its own.
You're taking all the fun out of this how about a card that said "if you have 10 or more poison counters you win the game instead." You could just throw in Phyexian Unlife and it would have pretty much the same effect as my original idea
You can't just have fun at the expense of power balance.
You can't just have fun at the expense of power balance.

of course I can, this is a hypothetical design that I'm positive will never exist unless I somehow end up working at WotC's R&D department :p