Help with new mono-black vampire deck!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, 
I just got into MTG (~1 month), and have started making my own deck. I am trying to make a standard mono-black (with 1 red for stormkirk noble) aggro vampire deck. 
This is the deck I am currently aming at, and need to cut some cards out of it, as it is currently at 72 cards.
(www.mtgvault.com/thefreeman1212/decks/th...)

I would like to try and have some lifelink, as I want to try and get combos such as:

Vampire Nighthawk beefed up by Vampire Nocturnus and Stromkirk Noble.
I usually get new cards by trading at FNM (I go as often as possible), or I was going to buy some singles on the internet, but want to know which ones to get before I do.

I do not currently have any Liliana of the Dark Realms, but was looking at putting 2 or 4 of them in my deck, since my deck has a high mana cost.  

So, what is your ideas for the deck?
Hey I run a mostly black vampire deck myself. Here is my decklist. 
MAIN DECK
Creatures [20]

2 Blood Artist

2 Bloodline Keeper

2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

2 Olivia Voldaren

4 Stromkirk Captain

4 Vampire Nighthawk

4 Vampire Nocturnus

Planeswalkers [1]

1 Liliana of the Veil

Spells [16]

3 Dreadbore

3 Duress

2 Rakdos's Return

2 Sign in Blood

3 Tragic Slip

3 Ultimate Price

Lands [23]

4 Blood Crypt

2 Cavern of Souls

4 Dragonskull Summit

1 Mountain

12 Swamp

SIDEBOARD

4 Cremate

2 Mountain

2 Necropolis Regent

1 Rakdos Charm
2 Slaughter Games

4 Stromkirk Noble

Once I get my hands on a Liliana of the Dark Realms I will put her in also. Good luck man. This decks win ratio is definetly positive so hope it helps. I am still tweaking it but I love the vampires.
Wellcome to the forums! And please autocard rather than post your deck lists from other site links.

How to autocard:
Show

[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]
38 Relentless Rats
22 Swamp
[/deck]
=

This will make viewing your cards here esier for people to read since one, they don't need to click and wait whatever site you also posted the deck at to load and two, can just scroll over the card name to view what it is.

That being said...

Cut the deck down to 60 cards for one thing. You want to draw cards you need and you wont be albe to do so if your deck is so large. Idealy you wnat to have a 36/24 ratio when building a 60 card deck. 36 spells and 24 lands. But depending on your converted mana cost (cmc) curve you'll end up adding more spells and reducing the land count or vice versa. Here you have 24 lands and 48 spells. Try reducing the amount f playsets you have to 3 ofs and go from there.

Have to go for now, but I'll be back on later and beable to give advice about the actual build if you'd like.

Hope this helps, later. 

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

Don't do mono black.
Do black/red or black/white

I just played the vs the most powerful vampire deck I've seen to date last night
It involved, from what I remember

Bloodline keeper
Vampire Nighthawk
Lliana
Underworld Connection
Intangiable Virtue
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

I don't remember the details but he easily has 5 vamps out by T3 every game in the match

I thought I had the best vamp deck up until then. Mine was Black/Red and involved Olivia, the same vamps he had, stonewhateverhisnameis, rogues passage, and the red vamp that gives counters to all other vamps that hit, and falkenrath exterminator.

Wellcome to the forums! And please autocard rather than post your deck lists from other site links.

How to autocard:
Show

[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]
38 Relentless Rats
22 Swamp
[/deck]
=

This will make viewing your cards here esier for people to read since one, they don't need to click and wait whatever site you also posted the deck at to load and two, can just scroll over the card name to view what it is.

That being said...

Cut the deck down to 60 cards for one thing. You want to draw cards you need and you wont be albe to do so if your deck is so large. Idealy you wnat to have a 36/24 ratio when building a 60 card deck. 36 spells and 24 lands. But depending on your converted mana cost (cmc) curve you'll end up adding more spells and reducing the land count or vice versa. Here you have 24 lands and 48 spells. Try reducing the amount f playsets you have to 3 ofs and go from there.

Have to go for now, but I'll be back on later and beable to give advice about the actual build if you'd like.

Hope this helps, later. 

Hey thanks for the tips on autocarding, still kind of new to the site  
I would love some advice, that would really help a lot! 

Wow, I left in a hurry earlier and didn't spell check... man I left allot of typos there. Sorry.

Anycase think you should cut  Imposter for sure (he's an ok card, but he's not great here, he's better suited for a deck was actually built around him) and the Noble (too slow, if you want that effect, run blood artist, not to mention you already have better cards in the 4 drop slot). The interloper is ok for a budget build, but you might want to switch to something better eventually. 

You also might want to consider droping the enchantment theme altogether. Pact is too reliant on you also having a kill spell for it to be effective and the other two are just meh, it would be better to run some burn, discard or more kill spells.

So after cutting the cards I suggested you would be left with a shell that looks something like this.

Currently you have room for 10 more cards. So building off that...

I do think that you need a bit more in your land base so you can consistantly cast the captain on turn 3. Since Blood Crypt isn't really budget friendly I suggest throwing in some Guildgates. They can work here fine since you don't really have much you do on turn 1-2 anyway.

If you want to keep this primarily , then you might want to consider Mutilate here. It's probably the best sweeper has ATM. There's also Killing Wave, but it's just not as reliable. Sweepers are something you really want to consider adding in for a varitiy of reasons wether it's to prevent getting overrunn by tokens/cheap aggro creatures or even needing someway to squash some of those pesky hexproof guys running around).

Another kill spell you might want to consider as a SB option is Tribute to Hunger. It can net you some much needed life against an aggro deck or get rid of (like I stated before) annoying hexproof creatures... I really hate playing against them...

I mentioned adding burn, that means utilizing the good cards has to offer. Yes the Captain is good, but splashing in some opens a variity of possibilities for you. Wether you add in more vampires (Olivia Voldaren, Falkenrath Aristocrat Stromkirk Noble, ect...) or some good spells (Dreadbore, Rakdos Return, Slaughter Games) or just some classic burn (Bonfire of the Damned, Brimstone Volley, Mizzium Mortars, Pilliar of Flame, Searing Spear, ect...).

If you don't want to include like I suggested, consider adding in some discard, this will help remove threats before your opponent plays them (Duress and Appetite for Brains). Tragic Slip is a nice add too.

Even though allot of people play with multi colored creatures due to the whole ravnica guild thing, Ultimate Price works quite well. 

Hope this Helps.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

Wow, I left in a hurry earlier and didn't spell check... man I left allot of typos there. Sorry.

Anycase think you should cut  Imposter for sure (he's an ok card, but he's not great here, he's better suited for a deck was actually built around him) and the Noble (too slow, if you want that effect, run blood artist, not to mention you already have better cards in the 4 drop slot). The interloper is ok for a budget build, but you might want to switch to something better eventually. 

You also might want to consider droping the enchantment theme altogether. Pact is too reliant on you also having a kill spell for it to be effective and the other two are just meh, it would be better to run some burn, discard or more kill spells.

So after cutting the cards I suggested you would be left with a shell that looks something like this.

Currently you have room for 10 more cards. So building off that...

I do think that you need a bit more in your land base so you can consistantly cast the captain on turn 3. Since Blood Crypt isn't really budget friendly I suggest throwing in some Guildgates. They can work here fine since you don't really have much you do on turn 1-2 anyway.

If you want to keep this primarily , then you might want to consider Mutilate here. It's probably the best sweeper has ATM. There's also Killing Wave, but it's just not as reliable. Sweepers are something you really want to consider adding in for a varitiy of reasons wether it's to prevent getting overrunn by tokens/cheap aggro creatures or even needing someway to squash some of those pesky hexproof guys running around).

Another kill spell you might want to consider as a SB option is Tribute to Hunger. It can net you some much needed life against an aggro deck or get rid of (like I stated before) annoying hexproof creatures... I really hate playing against them...

I mentioned adding burn, that means utilizing the good cards has to offer. Yes the Captain is good, but splashing in some opens a variity of possibilities for you. Wether you add in more vampires (Olivia Voldaren, Falkenrath Aristocrat Stromkirk Noble, ect...) or some good spells (Dreadbore, Rakdos Return, Slaughter Games) or just some classic burn (Bonfire of the Damned, Brimstone Volley, Mizzium Mortars, Pilliar of Flame, Searing Spear, ect...).

If you don't want to include like I suggested, consider adding in some discard, this will help remove threats before your opponent plays them (Duress and Appetite for Brains). Tragic Slip is a nice add too.

Even though allot of people play with multi colored creatures due to the whole ravnica guild thing, Ultimate Price works quite well. 

Hope this Helps.

Hey,
You have a lot of good suggestions. I was running a red/black deck before, but then tried to add demons and dragons into it, and it all went to hell from there.

I decided to try and make a fast deck, but looking at your suggestions, a red/black deck would be a good idea.

What would you suggest for a red/black? I am thinking about getting Tibalt, the Fiend Blooded
I currently have 2 Stromkirk Noble and am looking for 2 more, have 4 Rakdos Guildgate , and 2 Mizzium Mortars , and already have a set of Ultimate Price Should I put all of those in?

Lastly, should I keep Vampire Nocturnus in, since the deck will be half black, half red?

Thanks for all your help! 
Tibolt is ok, but I've only seen him reliable in various RDW builds. Nobles are definitively a good add as is mizzium mortars. If your sources remain primarily duel color lands, then nocturmus can say. My fiend debated on keeping in or dropping him for a time with his deck, he ran 4 Dragonskull, 4 Blood Crypt and 2 Guildgate as his only sources so he decided on keeping him. If you plan on putting in a few mountains then it really depends on how many sources you have on whether or not to keep him around. 

Now the question remains, "how many lands that produce and/or should I have in here?" Well build your deck the way you want, then look to your land ratios.

To determine the amount of basic lands needed for a deck, here is the method I usually go by...
Show
I count up the number of each mana symbol and divide by 2. In your case it's x and  y (I include symbols in flashback costs but as .5 of a symbol, anycase). Once you divide by 2, their numbers become x and y . Then I have my fractions of the deck are what colors (in your case it's x/(x+y) and y/(x+y)). For each duel land used take away 1 from each color the duel land reflected. Since you're running 4-8 (if you plan on running guild gate lets say 8) of them, take away 8 from each color in your fractions (this takes away  form the total side of the fraction). The fractions are now (x-8)/(x+y-16) and (y-8)/(x+y-16) respectively. Now that I have my fractions only regarding basic lands, I can use the only useful thing math class ever taught me, cross multiplication. I use the fractions mentioned above along with the fraction x/(24 - # of duel lands used) [note: 24 is just the land count you're currently at, if you had a land count of 23 the fraction would be x/(23-#of duel lands used) ect...] in the following cross multiplication problems (solving for the x in bold).

(x-8)/(x+y-16) = x/16       and      (y-8)/(x+y-16) = x/16

(x-8)(16) = (x+y-16)(x)    and       (y-8)(16) = (x+y-16)(x)

Then after some math you'll get...

Number of Swamps = x    and       Number of Mountains = x

Obviously I is for ether problem is a negative number then you don't need to have any basic lands for that color in your deck. If you don't get whole numbers, that's ok, just round up or down to the nearest whole number and things usually work out. 

I hope this made sense. I've been using this formula for about 9 years now and it has never stirred me wrong when constructing a deck's mana base (limited or contstructed).