Boros Control, post Gatecrash, little advice needed

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maindeck:

How's this for a start?  Any must-haves not there?  Please keep in mind that meta at our FNM is almost all control, some midrange, little aggro.

How about sideboard plans?
If your meta is mostly control, seems like fast Aggro might be the better option.

Either way, Demolish shouldn't be in the list.  Blind Obedience feels like a SB card VS Aggro, since it doesn't do much VS Control.  It's not like they have haste guys.

Faithless Looting is a bit better served for Aggro as well, since Aggro just wants the best cards that they can draw, while control plays more on an attrition angle so more cards, be them lands or not.

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight probably won't ever see the table, and Razortip Whip is rather weak for constructed.  Those slots would be better suited for some more early game threats, maybe Boros Reckoner.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
It isn't a horrible start, but from the start, the list you presented has a number of fundamental issues.

-Gisela and Aurelia are always suboptimal without an army of creatures- they're far better used in token-combo decks or reanimrtor strategies
-The deck has no resevoir of extra draw to lean on that is CA+, This means that your late game presence is suboptimal (Staff of Nin is a fairly immediate fix, though a better option may exist.)
-Many of your spells get very conditional value, and are best put into the sideboard for games when they are optimal (Skullcrack, Demolish)
-You don't want to lean on Oblivion Ring and Pacifism in such large doses because they can be answered at a later time (via enchantment removal)
-Razortip Whip doesn't satiate the power needs of the format. Demolish is very iffy.
-You probably want utility lands, and a landcount of about 25-26 (Ghost Quarter and Hellion Crucible immediately come to mind. Desolate Lighthouse is great if you want to splash in some Steam Vents or Sulfur Falls, and also gives you access to Desperate Ravings and Thoughtflare/Amass the Components/Divination)
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Allright, let me digest all that and I'll give it another go.

Couple questions:

I actually thought Demolish would be great to hose the 3- and 4-color decks (Bant, Jund, America, etc.) by f-ing their manabase, or killing off some utility land.  Also good for the occasional artifact.  Not so?

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight I thought would be a great wincon.  Flying, first strike, doubles your damage and halves the opponents.  Why is that not a winner?

Staff of Nin does look like a wholly better replacement for Razortip Whip.  It also addresses the straight card draw vs. card replacement (Faithless Looting) issue.  What else is good straight card draw for Boros?  I'm trying not to put blue in the mix...

Couple questions:

I actually thought Demolish would be great to hose the 3- and 4-color decks (Bant, Jund, America, etc.) by f-ing their manabase, or killing off some utility land.  Also good for the occasional artifact.  Not so?

Hitting the manabase of 3+ color decks is effective, but not starting on your turn 4.  A Blood Moon effect would be fun in this meta, but turn 4 is too late to start trying to cripple a manabase.  It's too developed at that point and shorting them a color is going to be difficult with all the fixing avalable.

Gisela, Blade of Goldnight I thought would be a great wincon.  Flying, first strike, doubles your damage and halves the opponents.  Why is that not a winner?

She's 7 mana.  Blue based control will have a firm grip on the game by the time you can play here.  Even with a Cavern of Souls naming Angel, you'll be hard pressed to win with her as they'll probably have removal in hand for her, since you only have 6 creatures.

Staff of Nin does look like a wholly better replacement for Razortip Whip.  It also addresses the straight card draw vs. card replacement (Faithless Looting) issue.  What else is good straight card draw for Boros?  I'm trying not to put blue in the mix...

I wouldn't run Staff.  Turn 6 is too late for you to start thinking about generating CA.  Without splashing Blue for actual draw, or going into Black for Sign in Blood/Bloodgift Demon/Underworld Connections, your best bet is to try to play attrition with superior value cards.  Stuff like Reckoner, that besides an effiecent 3/3 for 3, that might have first strike, but also provides a way to also deal damage if it's block, or at the very least turn damage that would kill it, into reach.

Tin Street Market is about as close as you'll get to a way to draw more cards without splashing a 3rd color (one that can actually generate CA via draw).

My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
Wow.  OK.  Maybe time to scrap this plan and go back to RDW-splash-white-for-Boros Charm...

Couple questions:

-Demolish does 1f1 trade, but there is too much dedicated manafixing to really get to color screw somebody with it.

-Gisela is an Ass Whuppin' when the window between her first usage and her hitting the board is short (MF1->Combat, rather than having to wait a turn, and then combat.) Which usually means she needs a bunch of creatures already littering the table to put over the top, or she needs haste. Commiting to giving her haste or an army would take away from your removal and decrease your deck's consistency.

-There isn't any that I can think of. Most of the CA you'll generate is either from draw steps via staff, or looting effects coupled with Flashback. (Reforge the Soul and Mentor of the Meek are both acceptions, but Reforge can be difficult to operate, and Mentor wants to be in an entirely different type of deck.) That said, if you're using a large amount of filtration, hitting land drops and finding Staff isn't actually all that hard.

-Otherworld Atlas is an alternative to Staff, but when your draw is symmetrical, you could inadvertently increase your opponent's windows of opportunity.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Wow.  OK.  Maybe time to scrap this plan and go back to RDW-splash-white-for-Boros Charm...

That sounds like just the plan for a Control heavy meta.  I'd honestly look into Island's list as a starting point.  It feels like a strong list for a few weeks after Gatecrash.
My Decks
Sign In to post comments