Evolve and Bioshift

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lets say I have 3 creatures with evolve (lets say Fathom mage) on the battlefield and they all have 4 +1/+1 counters on them making them all 5/5s

I then cast Elusive Krasis but it response to all the evolve abilities triggering, I cast Bioshift and put all the counters from 1 of them onto Elusive Krasis making him a 4/8 creature.

What happens?

I guess i'm looking for 2 things:
Does the evolve ability trigger regardless of the power/toughness of the creature?
and does it only add the counters if the condition is true when it resolves?
Evolve has an intervening if. It won't trigger at all if the new creature isn't bigger as it enters the battlefield. In that case, there's no trigger to respond to.
Lets say I have 3 creatures with evolve (lets say Fathom mage) on the battlefield and they all have 4 +1/+1 counters on them making them all 5/5s

I then cast Elusive Krasis but it response to all the evolve abilities triggering,

Stop right there; the abilities don't trigger at all.

From Gatecrash's FAQ:

* Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, check its power and toughness against the power and toughness of the creature with evolve. If neither stat of the new creature is greater, evolve won’t trigger at all. For example, if you control a 2/3 creature with evolve and a 2/2 creature enters the battlefield under your control, you won’t have the opportunity to cast a spell like Giant Growth to make the 2/2 creature large enough to cause evolve to trigger.

I guess i'm looking for 2 things:
Does the evolve ability trigger regardless of the power/toughness of the creature?
and does it only add the counters if the condition is true when it resolves?

Evolve is a triggered ability with an "if clause". The condition must be true both at the moment the ability would trigger (when the creature enters the battlefield) and when it resolves.

[<o>]
You can't increase the power or toughness of the entering creature in order to make evolve trigger. Because evolve has an intervening if clause. If it isn't true at the time the ability would trigger, it won't trigger. It also has to be true when the ability resolves or nothing happens.
I have a follow-up question: if I've activated the ability of the simic guildmage to make creatures enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter, does that additional +1 count in terms of its power or tuffness when it enters, in order to trigger evolve on my other creatures? Does that make sense? 

Also, a little off topic but I didn't want to start another thread and I cant find the answer elsewhere: If I make my keyrune a creature and the attach an aura/cipher/counter to it, does it go away after end of turn when it ceases to be a creature or does it stay attached?

Sorry if these are extremley noobish questions...
Simic Guildmage cannot cause a creature to enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter.

Auras: They move to the graveyard almost immediately after it stops being a creature if the they cannot enchant what is has become. (Specifically, they are moved the next time SBAs are checked.)

[Equipment: The detach amost immediately after it stops being a creature if they cannot equip what is has become. (Specifically, they drop off the next time SBAs are checked.)]

Encoded cards: No.

Counters: No.
Thank you ikegami, and sorry I didn't mean Simic Guildmage I meant the new Simic guild mage Zameck Guildmage. My bad
That will work, yes. There is no a time when the creature doesn't have the counter.
Excellent thanks again.
Sign In to post comments