Cards to Watch out at the Pre-Release

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wanted to start a collaborative thread to highlight the cards to pay attention/remove when they reach the battlefield, for each guild. Of course, the purpose is to highlight the ones that are not be clear obvious bombs...

Simic: Ivy Lane DenizenCrowned CeratokSpire Tracer  

Gruul: Wildwood Rebirth, Madcap Skills, Ripscale Predator  

Boros: Court Street Denizen, Guardian of the Gateless (for having played with it, this is a BOMB), Syndic of Tithes  

Orzhov: Contaminated Ground (It may not seems like it, but this is nothing to compare with chronic flooding and it fits nicely into the orzhov plan. If you manage to play it on the splash color, it becomes a real problem for your opponent.) Dying Wish can be very powerful if played properly.

Dimir: Hands of Binding, Last Thoughts are probably the two most useful/playable cipher cards, the later can give incredible CA if not handled quickly.

I'll playtest a little more tonight and update the list accordingly. If you have comments/remarks or questions, feel free. Smile

Note: A sweet combo Spark TrooperDying Wish or Murder Investigation
Ooze Flux is going to win some Simic games.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Ooze Flux is going to win some Simic games.

Most likely, but I prefer to focus on Commons/uncommons. It is quite certain that rares will have a strong impact on the game. 

I don't think Spire Tracer is very good.  I'm not even sure it is better than Tormented Soul.

Hellraiser goblin in boros is pretty good according to my testing.  Also, anything with extort is good in orzhov, and I mean ANYTHING.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

www.channelfireball.com/articles/silvest... Interesting article some parts I disagree with but at least give it a look
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
A better use might be to discuss some of the tricks (e.g., any bloodrush creature)?

Obviously a powerful creature on the board needs to be removed.
No mention of Alpha Authority? Seems to be better than Madcap Skills at least... Also if anything Spire Tracer is a Gruul powerhouse... not seeing how it's doing much in Simic.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
No mention of Alpha Authority? Seems to be better than Madcap Skills at least...

Seriously? 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
No mention of Alpha Authority? Seems to be better than Madcap Skills at least...

Seriously? 

No.

Seriously? 

No.

Lol, for a moment I thought you were being serious.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
I am serious when I say Elusive Krasis is crazy good though.
Are there actually people who disagree??

Everyone knows elusive krasis is good.  It's not a sleeper card or anything.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Wight of Precinct Six seems like it can get out of hand real fast, especially if you get really luck against a gruul/borros deck with mill. (Even against Blood rush it seem pretty good)

Gift of Orzhova looks really good too, Life link is always great, AND it gives flying (and +1/+1)... since it's either Black or White it could potentially be used in Orzhova, Dimir, and Borros (and gruul if you go jund or naya or simic if you go Bant or B/U/G).

Turn 1 Boros Elite
Turn 2 Madcap Skills Attack for 4 (16)
Turn 3 Boros Elite and Daring Skyjek Attack for 4 (12)
Turn 4 Martial Glory Attack for 15... (at least 9 damage through) if not dead yet Wojek Halberdiers

These cards are all common, and it is VERY likely to face them in Boros. For playing with and against it Madcap Skills is a crazy card early and a strong card mid-late game.
Alpha Authority doesn't do much by itself early game.

Also if anything Spire Tracer is a Gruul powerhouse... not seeing how it's doing much in Simic.

Is it Gruul or Simic who produces a hell lot of +1/+1 counter?
Spire Tracer + Forced Adaptation
Ivy Lane Denizen,  Burst of Strength, Simic Fluxmage are some more examples of enablers...

I'm interested to know how you see it being a powerhouse in Gruul, though. Only because of Bloodrush?
Wight of Precinct Six seems like it can get out of hand real fast, especially if you get really luck against a gruul/borros deck with mill. (Even against Blood rush it seem pretty good)

Wight of Precinct Six is a mid to late game card. In the first 5-6 turn, it is likely to be a 1/1, except if you have a dedicated mill deck, in which case it can grow a lot faster. It doesn't do too much in Orzhov, although it benefits from your removals.

Gift of Orzhova looks really good too, Life link is always great, AND it gives flying (and +1/+1)... since it's either Black or White it could potentially be used in Orzhova, Dimir, and Borros (and gruul if you go jund or naya or simic if you go Bant or B/U/G).

There seem to be a lot of removals in this set, way more than in RTR, so I'm a little underwhelmed by all the creatures auras, which will go quickly 2-for-1. I could see it played MD against Simic and maybe Dimir, and sideboarded against Gruul, Boros and Orzhov.

Also if anything Spire Tracer is a Gruul powerhouse... not seeing how it's doing much in Simic.

Ivy Lane Denizen,  Burst of Strength, Simic Fluxmage are some more examples of enablers...

I'm interested to know how you see it being a powerhouse in Gruul, though. Only because of Bloodrush?

Most of Simic's +1/+1 counters can't be shared though (Simic Fluxmage being an obvious exception), and the other cards you mentioned are green, which is also a Gruul color.

And yeah, Bloodrush in Gruul seems like it works pretty well with Spire Tracer, better than Evolve at least.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Turn 1 Boros Elite
Turn 4 Martial Glory Attack for 15... (at least 9 damage through) if not dead yet Wojek Halberdiers

These cards are all common, and it is VERY likely to face them in Boros. For playing with and against it Madcap Skills is a crazy card early and a strong card mid-late game.

Boros Elite is uncommon.

Wight of Precinct Six is a mid to late game card. In the first 5-6 turn, it is likely to be a 1/1, except if you have a dedicated mill deck, in which case it can grow a lot faster. It doesn't do too much in Orzhov, although it benefits from your removals.

I'd expect it to be a bear most of time.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Turn 1 Boros Elite

Boros Elite is uncommon.

My bad. It still is pretty likely in a Boros Pack.

Turn 1 Boros Elite

Boros Elite is uncommon.

My bad. It still is pretty likely in a Boros Pack.

Yep. I've somehow missed mad cap in my review of the set, so thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, the best way to evaluate various strategies is goldfishing with a stacked deck containing multiples of an uncommon.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Could you explain keymaster rogue, verdant haven, scorchwalker, undercity informer, gutter skulk, and keymaster rogue?

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Could you explain keymaster rogue, verdant haven, scorchwalker, undercity informer, gutter skulk, and keymaster rogue?

The Keymaster's drawback works fine with evolve as well as a few other cards (picking up a Bloodrusher who's too small to have an impact on the table). And I like the potential upside you can eke out of the ability.

Haven is ramp/fixing even if at one extra mana.

Scorchwalker is a Lava Axe if you can outnumber your opponent's creatures.

Informer can power the prerelease card as well as close out a really long game.

Skulk keeps the Boros guys off your back.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

The Keymaster's drawback works fine with evolve as well as a few other cards (picking up a Bloodrusher who's too small to have an impact on the table). And I like the potential upside you can eke out of the ability.

Haven is ramp/fixing even if at one extra mana.

Scorchwalker is a Lava Axe if you can outnumber your opponent's creatures.

Informer can power the prerelease card as well as close out a really long game.

Skulk keeps the Boros guys off your back.

I don't feel like those small upsides are enough to outweigh the drawback on keymaster, which would only be average power level if it was french vanilla unblockable.

Haven is OK I guess, but I guess I just feel that costing 3 instead of 2 is kinda a big deal, and I don't see the lifegain as being very valuable, nor do I value fixing particularly highly in this format, which looks to be pretty aggressive and mostly 2 color, especially in green, which doesn't have the great durdle enablers like trestle troll and towering indrik this time around.

The using informer because of the prerelease card just feels like using urban burgeoning with underworld connections:  the bomb is so powerful that you'll win when it's unanswered anyways.  Aberration should be, in 90% of all games, big/big, where big is "so big that they can't do anything except chump block him."  Saccing guys to pump him just seems bad, because then if they do draw removal, or have enough chumpers to race you, then you just wasted your guys.

Skulk will trade with 1 guy vs boros, but the problem is, that's not THAT great, and against other guilds, he will do like nothing. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

How is putting +1/+1 counters on a evasive 1/1 without any protection in increments of one make it a Simic powerhouse? Yes, this card is good because of Bloodrush. It does happen to work very well with an in-color mechanic. Gruul needs evasion for Bloodrush to be really good and Spire Tracer supplies it cheaply and effeciently.
Evasion makes bloodrush good? When did you decide that? Combat tricks are combat tricks; they can be used to strengthen your board as much as they can be used to push for lethal damage. One doesn't exclude the other.

I don't see the problem with Alpha Authority.  Put it on Ghor-Clan Rampager or Zhur-Taa Swine and you're going to have a short, hard to kill clock with blood rush.

Cheers
I don't see the problem with Alpha Authority.  Put it on Ghor-Clan Rampager or Zhur-Taa Swine and you're going to have a short, hard to kill clock with blood rush.
Cheers

Who said there was a problem with Alpha Authority? It's just not that efficient in the early game. 

Perhaps I was misreading some of the earlier comments in the thread comparing it to Madcap Skills.

Cheers
I'm suprised nobody's mentioned Rapid Hybridization yet.  This card looks to me like the best removal card in the set (rares excluded).  And any blue card that destroys without regeneration is note-worthy, right?  You guys were talking about the 2fer1 problem with all the auras in the set, well this card rules for that!

Blood-rush? no problem, Cipher? here's your consolation prize.. a frog/lizard.   Battalion? hybridize before their attack phase, and their lizard frog has summoning sickness, and their best battalion triggering nasty is gone.

How much would you expect to pay for such an awesome ability? Just leave an island un-tapped.   

I would also like to mention  that the flavor is awesome, and the artwork is pretty fun.  Check out the flavor text...  Your Welcome!!! lol 
yeah, yeah, Hands of Binding, Rapid Hybridization, auras blah blah blah.

The real winners are everything with Power > 1 and ≥ CMC.

Beats will win games.  Beats will win tournaments.  Evolve shenanigains can pull a surprise upset, but I don't expect it to happen with anything less then der uberpool.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Madcap Skills is actually a Rakdos card. Look at the carnival art. Doesn't mean Boros and Gruul can't splash it, of course.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Madcap Skills is actually a Rakdos card. Look at the carnival art. Doesn't mean Boros and Gruul can't splash it, of course.

??
Do you know that there is no Rakdos guild in Gatecrash?
It IS a Gruul and Boros card, while Simic and Orzhov can/should splash it.      

??

Eh, there are some cards which are references to the other guilds, and would be better if printed in RTR or GTC with those guilds specifically.

Granted, skills is awesome no matter what, but Crosstown Courier is probably best suited for dimir due to mill.  Further, Serene Rememberance is heavily Selesnya.

Further, once DGM comes out, all cards of a color belong to all cards of the guild!

??

It's a Rakdos card.

As mentioned, Crosstown Courier IS a Dimir card.

Just because they were printed in other sets doesn't mean they are flavored from that set.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Also check out destroy the evidence and say that's not a dimir card
Crosstown Courier has been stated by Wizards to be guildless, but it clearly fits Dimir.

Madcap Skills has Rakdos art (the performer has a Rakdos pattern on his pauldron).
Miming Slime   was insane for me.  It's an auto-evolve trigger and in Gruul or Simic it's usually 5/5 or 6/6.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Sign In to post comments