DotP Code of ethics. Any suggestions?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Considering the recent post of Eternal21 (and some other ones), I thought - what can be regarded as polite (and, therefore as a boundary of impoliteness).

Off the top of my head:
1)
121623769 wrote:
always try to get my opponent exactly to 0, and don't cast anything on the last turn if I don't need to.

2) don't stop timer to read cards
3) don't do such things
4) don't gloat and don't make any rude remarks (if only in response or in battle heat, of course)
5) don't use Nicol Bolas deck
6) don't break agreements (for example, "don't select blue in 2hg")
7) don't create lobbies and go away without closing them
8) don't join and go away without logging out

anything else?

p.s. also - don't play gg, mm and (my personal request) as)

I posted something simillar on steam forum but judging by no replies at all I think I abandoned all hope:

There it is:

9. Do not quit immediately if you are about to lose, may lose or your starting hand is bull's droppings.
10. Please say "gg". Doesn't matter if you just won or lost. Such a simple thing but says a lot about you.
. If playing 2HG, COMMUNICATE and WORK with your partner, don't mess up his board position just because it benefits you and you only. 
12. Don't call people "noob" just because they made a mistake, simple slip of the mouse can cause you to cast a wrong spell.
13. Don't act like a teenage girl (unless you are one, in that case I am sorry). 

I also wanted to say, love no 1. It happens all the time, people even dont attack with full force so they can get another turn and play with themselves a bit more. So annoying. 
Rule number "Only": Be respectful.

Seriously, if you can't do that you need to find someone who is willing to savagely beat you until you get it.
Respect is the very relative thing. Many people believe that respect must be earned. So it's easy to imagine that 1:0 may be the good reason for gloating, calling names and so on (from the victor).

Also it's very easy to suppose that some decks may be regarded as "disrespectful" - for example, as in that case, where BoF is considered as such. So if it'll be some kind of rules, I guess that it could make things somewhat easier.
Regarding "Rule #1" I would like to say that attempting to get your opponent to exactly 0 life can backfire.  If they have creature removal and you hold back on your attack just so you can say that you aren't trying to "overkill" them, then you open yourself up to lose on the next turn.  What if they have some lifegain available?  I always try to, within reason, kill with more than enough.  Now, if they are tapped out, have 0 cards in hand, no defenders then do your "polite" move if you want, but take more into consideration.

"#2" This is a game for beginners.  If you can't handle newbs (which are different than n00bs) pausing the game for a few seconds you either need to get some patience or go play another game.

"#6" There are agreements in this game?   IDK how to handle this rule.

"p.s."  You can pick my decks when you pay for my game and my internet subscription

--------------------------------

"#9" Why would I want to stick around for a grueling, non-interactive game when my starting hand is bull droppings and I've already mulliganed to 5?  No thanks.  It's easier to just drop and get into another game.

"#10"  I would love to if it didn't take so long to send a message on the PSN.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I've really been leaning toward not trying for that elegant 0.
I've always been a proponent, but I have been screwed quite a bit.
Lost a 2hg match a few nights ago when my partner went for the 0.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Not a proponent of "keep it close to zero" myself.  It can backfire.

In fact, I'm at the point where if someone considers it rude to swing with all you can, I consider that to be on them.  A person has a right to try everything available to them to win, in case they have a mental lapse and forget about the Icy Manipulator or some other card effect that would buy their opponent another turn.  As long as the time taken is roughly the same, who cares if you lose by an imaginary 20 life or an imaginary 0?

If you're worried about someone thinking you're gloating by doing so, a little light chat and a "gg" will put the idea to rest, and you don't have to worry about losing that one game out of 30 where you forgot about Guardian Seraph because you were theoretically being polite.

But I guess we've already covered this extensively in the thread specifically about the topic, so on topic -- probably the silliest are the leaderboard chasers who use GG/SS/etc exclusively, and once they win they quit out so they can't be counter-picked.  I guess they're entitled to chasing those numbers if that's what gets them off, but it stinks to have to go through the lobby process again because a guy is afraid that an even match might make his e-peen number reflect that he loses sometimes.
Respect is the very relative thing. Many people believe that respect must be earned. So it's easy to imagine that 1:0 may be the good reason for gloating, calling names and so on (from the victor).

Also it's very easy to suppose that some decks may be regarded as "disrespectful" - for example, as in that case, where BoF is considered as such. So if it'll be some kind of rules, I guess that it could make things somewhat easier.

It's not that relative.
And I'm not going to waste anyone's time explaining how to be respectful to someone.
It's an incredibly simple concept.

It's just sad that in the 21st century, the age of virtual courage, few people know that respect is actually a concept much less what it means...

So, you be nice to people you play against in DotP, you treat them with respect and if they disrespect you like the guy in the thread that inspired this one did, block them, report them and wish them well in their short pathetic existence.

"#2" This is a game for beginners.  If you can't handle newbs (which are different than n00bs) pausing the game for a few seconds you either need to get some patience or go play another game.

Ok. It should be "try to evade" instead of "don't". The thing is - there is a whole campaign with revenge and stuff to learn cards. I just think that if you (in real life) come to the company of strangers who play for fun, not money, it'll be rather rude to ask every time about cards (rules, pieces and so on). It's wasting of their time without proper compensation.

"#6" There are agreements in this game?   IDK how to handle this rule.

Their were the thread somewhere nearby about some people who propose not to choose blue in 2hg and after that play it themselves. How to? Just to be fair, that's all.

"p.s."  You can pick my decks when you pay for my game and my internet subscription

It's just sad that in the 21st century, the age of virtual courage, few people know that respect is actually a concept much less what it means...
So, you be nice to people you play against in DotP, you treat them with respect and if they disrespect you like the guy in the thread that inspired this one did, block them, report them and wish them well in their short pathetic existence. 

Completely agree.

Ok. It should be "try to evade" instead of "don't". The thing is - there is a whole campaign with revenge and stuff to learn cards. I just think that if you (in real life) come to the company of strangers who play for fun, not money, it'll be rather rude to ask every time about cards (rules, pieces and so on). It's wasting of their time without proper compensation.

Ehhhhh, I think you'll find this isn't exactly true when dealing with magic players in real life.  I've played for 17 years on and off.  I don't keep track of every card printed each year.  So, on occasion, when I play with people using decks I'm unfamiliar with I will often ask them to read the card before it resolves.  Nobody cares. 

There are literally thousands of cards in this game with 3 new sets coming out each year, that's 500+ cards a year.  A lot of them are reprints, but many of them are new.  Hell, even being a reprint doesn't guarantee I've seen the original card before.

Now, obviously, this is a limited format with a limited number of cards available so, in time, everyone should be on board.  But here's the thing, every day new people are buying this game.  you don't know ifyou're in a lobby with a vet or a newbie.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Actually in paper magic it is no uncommong to read others cards. While I rarely need to pause it in DoTP because of all the time I've put into it, I've always lived by this acronym RTFC (Read The **** Card) To many times have I seen someone make a mistake because they assumed they knew exactly what the card did. 

Really the code of ethics boils down to be respectful. If someone doesn't know the cards I don't mind them pausing, but finish the game as quickly as you can do so safely and don't waste your opponents time (this means don't play every card in your hand before killing them) 

Some don't play through the campaign and encounters to learn the cards and I am one. So after a new deck pack comes out I may pause once in a while to read the card.
I even have to pause sometimes because the other plays a card that was such an auto uninclude for me that I am not at all familiar with it.
I am no where near being a rude player although Wiggles may disagree (if you do, it was only one game... sue me).

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Shouldn't #5 be along the lines of "please don't hack the game?" Ok maybe not the exact term but hopefully the point was made. Unless there's a legit way to play Bolas's deck, in which case someone tell me. :D
If your opponent is tapped out and you can win during your attack phase, skip your first main phase and attack. Don't cast a bunch of spells and waste time.

Another ethical decision, don't play Krenko. :p 
To me it feels like the loser should be saying gg.  For some reason it just sounds weird coming from the winner! Maybe i'm oldschool with that or something but I only say it when I'm about to lose.  Not while I'm swinging 5 RoReplicated Titans.. sounds a bit like gloating...but it is funny when they are shoutin GG with 5 green titans coming in and i'm holding fog and overun or something!!

IDK just a minor pet peeve of mine i guess.
To me it feels like the loser should be saying gg.  For some reason it just sounds weird coming from the winner! Maybe i'm oldschool with that or something but I only say it when I'm about to lose.  Not while I'm swinging 5 RoReplicated Titans.. sounds a bit like gloating...but it is funny when they are shoutin GG with 5 green titans coming in and i'm holding fog and overun or something!!

They said "good game". Just accept it for what it is. Text is easy enough to misconstrue without reading into the most simple and obvious of sentiments.

I'm with you on this one.  I often send gg, if I get beat by a 80 card deck, that happens to be a low tier.  I tend not to send gg as a winner, for the reason you stated.  Unless it really was an epic match that went back and forth until we were down to the last few cards.
I like to play GG 1-2 times then switch to BoF to hit them in the face after they pick something to beat GG.

Edit: It also makes them complacent when I'm laying mountains and no goblins; fools think I'm getting mana drowned...MUHAHAHA! 
Idk this is just me on the stop timer one I feel if you are not playing a deck that has counters or away to deal with the card being play or its not a spell being sent to you let it resolve an then read the card it just lets the game flow better an I don't mind if you stop the timer on some cards but come on not on every single one I actually had someone do that I politely asked him not to do it an he stopped as he was play MM an I RG come on i also am for not the overkill cast everything in hand as i had someone who i (somehow ) regulatory play in 2hg an my partner got dced an i finished the match him an his partner had the match an me an the ai are tapped out they continue to cast spells so i leave he then sends me a message saying sore i replyed an said no gg i just qm not going to sit here an wait for you an your partner to cast every spell you guys have just to finish me when you guy all ready have enough board presents to kill me  but its like someone else said somewhere on this forum there is no way for them to know the "courtesy rules of engagement" some just don't know or care to know an just don't expect everyone to know this that's all im saying an if you do decide to say something to them be polite about it
.p.s. also - don't play gg, mm and (my personal request) as)

I take issue with this. As someone said, you can choose my decks if you're the one paying for my copy of the game, my console, my utility bills, and my internet.

If someone just plays a deck I particularly dislike, I just pick the deck with the best matchup on the next game (and I don't shy away from GG if you're playing DP, but I use it solely against DP), because more than likely they're gonna be using the same deck, and even if they're not, i get to try out my deck against a different setup anyway.

I usually only say gg when it's actually a good game, win or lose a good game to me is when I play another "skilled" player and we have a pretty equal match-up most of the game, never really knowing who's going to win until that final turn. A good example is when I randomly got matched up against Brodo in 1v1 about a month ago, it was a BoF mirror match and it made for an excellent game of carefully timed burns and anticipation of eachother's hands. In the end I barely won, but I still sent a gg message (and he sent one back,) purely because of the fact that it was a great game between relatively equal skilled players.
 I take issue with this. As someone said, you can choose my decks if you're the one paying for my copy of the game, my console, my utility bills, and my internet.

For avoiding of futher consideration - it was a joke)

I usually only say gg when it's actually a good game

Agree. I just can't write it when it was mana screw/ flood situation. For starters it wasn't a game to be good)
yea i agree overkill is nothing to get upset about and I wonder why so many people complain when i do it, or waste time tryin to figure how to get that exact 0.  

I remember last year some people had it in there heads that either overkilling ranks you up faster and you should do it, or overkilling ranks you up slower depending on which old wives tale you believed or something... but pretty sure that was myth.

Playin out your hand idk its sorta useless to play any creature that doesn't effect battle before you swing in general so I can kinda see why some people rage at that....Maybe they just want to show that my milling was not going to get anywhere and they in fact have been holding timereversal this whole time? IDK it don't bother me though... 
If anything, it's far more disrespectful to self-impose a ridiculous "code of ethics" on people, which in itself is actually an unethical thing to do.

I'm sorry, if I actually offended anyone. As stated in the title of the thread - it is a mere suggestion and certainly is not smth "self-imposing". The reason for it - now and then there are threads about different unpleasant situations (for example, here, here, here, here  and here). So I just wanted to systematize the whole thing a little. I consider those points as tips, not rules (of course). I'm not such self-centered) And if it helps even one or two players to be more polite - it was worth it) As for me - now I pay more attention about saying "gg" even when game wasn't so satisfying (thanks to the comments from here).

My frustrations are less with the players and more with the interface. Why can't I concede a match and go back to the match screen, instead of the lobby (this on steam BTW). There are times when the match is done, but it may take 5 turns for it to play out (imagine the infinite turn combo with just a small creature out). I'd like to concede, and go on to play another game. But the game won't allow it. I would like to see random deck matches, so noone can complain about 'another stupid control deck', but the game doesn't support it. I'd like to have rematches with a sideboard, but the game doesn't have it. And although it feels much less buggy than the previous versions, the whole network aspect of the game still feels incredibly fragile, 'playr x is watching damage effects', 'synching', whatever. Generally, most people seem polite and certainly better players than I am, with the occasional exception.
Idk this is just me on the stop timer one I feel if you are not playing a deck that has counters or away to deal with the card being play or its not a spell being sent to you let it resolve an then read the card it just lets the game flow better

Not all cards stay in play once resolved.  With a cluttered graveyard it's more time consuming to wait for it to resolve.  Besides that, a few cards in this game are exiled completely after they resolve, or get shuffled back in to your library.  This is bad advice.

You're a lose cannon.

I've noticed that an early scoop in Duels somehow feels much ruder than in any other format. So I generally just let the other guy finish me off - it won't take long.

If others don't though, I don't mind, because of that other more imortant rule: Don't be a dick who thinks everyone should have the same self imposed rules as you.

A "gg" after most matches, and no dirty tricks or tantrums seems about all one can reasonably hope for.
Idk this is just me on the stop timer one I feel if you are not playing a deck that has counters or away to deal with the card being play or its not a spell being sent to you let it resolve an then read the card it just lets the game flow better

Not all cards stay in play once resolved.  With a cluttered graveyard it's more time consuming to wait for it to resolve.  Besides that, a few cards in this game are exiled completely after they resolve, or get shuffled back in to your library.  This is bad advice.

All I was really trying to say was not every card has to be read by stopping the timer like if there are things that you can do about it or if you have forgotten what some of the cards do that you don't play with or the card is twisting in midair as the game tends to do form time to time like the guy I was referring to stop the timer for a long to read walking corpse

I've noticed that an early scoop in Duels somehow feels much ruder than in any other format. So I generally just let the other guy finish me off - it won't take long.

Of course, this isn't always the case. You'll get people that play, say, Yeva or Talrand who have to completely strip you of any chance of playing the game (via land removal or infinite turns) and won't kill you until they're damn good and ready...

I ran into this several times in 2012, especially with Ancient Depths.
Not sure how prevailant it is in '13.
My three things

1. Dont pause the game for every card played UNLESS you have a counter/bounce/instant and need to think it over (though good players wont telegraph that they have one like that) Otherwise just let it resolve and read it when its on the board.

2. If you're about to swing for the kill, do not play ERRYTHANG in your hand unless absolutely needed to win. Just get it over with.

3. Above all else: Don't be a ****ing dick.
The iPhone is perfect for people who want an easy to use, multifunction device. Android is a little more user intensive, but can do anything that iOS can do. DoTP developers, give us Duels 2014 on Android! My nexus 7/Galaxy Note 2 is easily capable of handling it if my 4 year old gateway laptop can.
Of course, this isn't always the case. You'll get people that play, say, Yeva or Talrand who have to completely strip you of any chance of playing the game (via land removal or infinite turns) and won't kill you until they're damn good and ready...

True enough; I remember a Talrand user toying with me a while back like a cat with an injured frog ( where does my cat find all these frogs anyways?). I eventually managed to euthanise myself somehow...
Idk this is just me on the stop timer one I feel if you are not playing a deck that has counters or away to deal with the card being play or its not a spell being sent to you let it resolve an then read the card it just lets the game flow better an I don't mind if you stop the timer on some cards but come on not on every single one I actually had someone do that I politely asked him not to do it an he stopped as he was play MM an I RG come on i also am for not the overkill cast everything in hand as i had someone who i (somehow ) regulatory play in 2hg an my partner got dced an i finished the match him an his partner had the match an me an the ai are tapped out they continue to cast spells so i leave he then sends me a message saying sore i replyed an said no gg i just qm not going to sit here an wait for you an your partner to cast every spell you guys have just to finish me when you guy all ready have enough board presents to kill me  but its like someone else said somewhere on this forum there is no way for them to know the "courtesy rules of engagement" some just don't know or care to know an just don't expect everyone to know this that's all im saying an if you do decide to say something to them be polite about it

"board presents"?! LOL that is so awesome

PS just messing with you Laughing

When dj_btrue enters the forum exile all bad attitudes.

Show

O_O

Just be nice.
That is all.

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You'll are silly
Sign In to post comments