The Great Bow!

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I Im planning on getting a Great Bow and I don't know if ammunition is larger then a regular arrow and if it would hurt more because of its larger size? So would it hurt more and is the ammunition larger and more pricey?
Arrows are arrows are arrows.  All bows use the same arrows.

Greatbows have a [W] of 1d12, so yes, they hurt more.  This is clearly delineated in the Weapons chart in the PHB.
Arrows are arrows are arrows.  All bows use the same arrows.

Greatbows have a [W] of 1d12, so yes, they hurt more.  This is clearly delineated in the Weapons chart in the PHB.



This.

Didn't you take the time to actually read the item info?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
So I Im planning on getting a Great Bow and I don't know if ammunition is larger then a regular arrow and if it would hurt more because of its larger size? So would it hurt more and is the ammunition larger and more pricey?



As some already stated the arrow themselves are the same size.  Its the power of the bow that makes it more damaging.

Although historically there have been different arrowheads for different uses 4e is pretty basic in this design.


Mostly because it does not add to the fun of the game.  I recall having, in ADD 1E, rules for flight arrows and hunting arrows and frog crotch arrows and different arrow sizes and all kinds of crap.  Different ranges and different damage modifiers and crit ranges.  But then you didn't only have to keep track of what each kind of arrow you shot did, you had to account for your inventory of ammunition.   It doesn't add anything to the game.  It's much easier to have the 4e philosophy that arrows are all created equal and that you have enough to last the adventure and that whenever you get to town, just subtract a gp or 2 (or not, depending on the DM) and we'll assume you've replenished your supply.


It's no fun to play an archer (lower AC and not any decent melee powers or MBA) and be punished because of ammo accounting while a sorcerer, warlock, or mage just blasts away with an endless supply of magic.


TjD


 It's much easier to have the 4e philosophy that arrows are all created equal and that you have enough to last the adventure and that whenever you get to town, just subtract a gp or 2 (or not, depending on the DM) and we'll assume you've replenished your supply.


It's no fun to play an archer (lower AC and not any decent melee powers or MBA) and be punished because of ammo accounting while a sorcerer, warlock, or mage just blasts away with an endless supply of magic.


TjD




Agreed.

I don't even make my players purchase ammo after the first 20.

I remember tracking ammo in 3.5 till we got sick of it, lol! In 4e, unless someone's using a specific magic ammo, they might as well have a damn Endless Quiver of mundane arrows; if not, it's ridiculously tedious.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I remember tracking ammo in 3.5 till we got sick of it, lol! In 4e, unless someone's using a specific magic ammo, they might as well have a damn Endless Quiver of mundane arrows; if not, it's ridiculously tedious.



Yep.  Speaking of said Endless Quiver, it's stupidly overpriced.  It should be a level 1 or 2 item, not 9.  Someone computed the cost of arrows over a 30 level career for a ranger using Twin Strike every round, 10 battles a level, 5 round battles, and it was nowhere NEAR the cost of a level 9 item.
I remember tracking ammo in 3.5 till we got sick of it, lol! In 4e, unless someone's using a specific magic ammo, they might as well have a damn Endless Quiver of mundane arrows; if not, it's ridiculously tedious.



Yep.  Speaking of said Endless Quiver, it's stupidly overpriced.  It should be a level 1 or 2 item, not 9.  Someone computed the cost of arrows over a 30 level career for a ranger using Twin Strike every round, 10 battles a level, 5 round battles, and it was nowhere NEAR the cost of a level 9 item.



I've done that math.  And yes, arrows are so cheap that you will never, ever, ever be able to fire enough of them to justify the price of an Endless Quiver.

At the same time?  The Endless Quiver *itself* is trivially cheap once you hit L15 or so, and if your GM has made the crucial mistake of NOT just letting you ignore ammo, the price tag on the Endless Quiver is worth being able to just ignore ammo by that point.

At the same time, requiring players to track ammo is a mistake to begin with, so good GMs don't require it.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
I remember tracking ammo in 3.5 till we got sick of it, lol! In 4e, unless someone's using a specific magic ammo, they might as well have a damn Endless Quiver of mundane arrows; if not, it's ridiculously tedious.



Yep.  Speaking of said Endless Quiver, it's stupidly overpriced.  It should be a level 1 or 2 item, not 9.  Someone computed the cost of arrows over a 30 level career for a ranger using Twin Strike every round, 10 battles a level, 5 round battles, and it was nowhere NEAR the cost of a level 9 item.



I've done that math.  And yes, arrows are so cheap that you will never, ever, ever be able to fire enough of them to justify the price of an Endless Quiver.

At the same time?  The Endless Quiver *itself* is trivially cheap once you hit L15 or so, and if your GM has made the crucial mistake of NOT just letting you ignore ammo, the price tag on the Endless Quiver is worth being able to just ignore ammo by that point.

At the same time, requiring players to track ammo is a mistake to begin with, so good GMs don't require it.



The only time I've made players track ammo is in "Survival Situations" like an onrushing army of zombies and the players need to track how much they have before they are overrun. Also, Dark Sun is the one where i am strict about tracking resources. It's half the fun of that setting though, the very real danger that you might die out in the wastes.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.
That's a definition of fun with which I am completely unfamiliar.  Of course, this is also why I wouldn't even consider going near a game of Dark Sun.
That's a definition of fun with which I am completely unfamiliar.  Of course, this is also why I wouldn't even consider going near a game of Dark Sun.



Now I'm curious your issue iwth Dark Sun that you don't consider fun.
That's a definition of fun with which I am completely unfamiliar.  Of course, this is also why I wouldn't even consider going near a game of Dark Sun.



Now I'm curious your issue iwth Dark Sun that you don't consider fun.



The idea of "tracking survival supplies like food and water, in an epic high fantasy game like D&D".

I'm assuming, since I'm not that user.  But ff I gave a crap about rations, I wouldn't be playing D&D.  D&D isn't about starving to death - the mechanics and setting simply don't allow it.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
No no. I agree with the OP.  "Great" bows should require "great" arrows which require great price.  Insight DC 20 to see otherwise.  
That's a definition of fun with which I am completely unfamiliar.  Of course, this is also why I wouldn't even consider going near a game of Dark Sun.



Now I'm curious your issue iwth Dark Sun that you don't consider fun.



The idea of "tracking survival supplies like food and water, in an epic high fantasy game like D&D".



Yep.  I don't do dark, dismal crapsack worlds.  I want high adventure.  If my PC kicks it, I want it to be in dramatic fashion in battle with a villain, not 'whoops ... didn't bring enough water'.
No no. I agree with the OP.  "Great" bows should require "great" arrows which require great price.  Insight DC 20 to see otherwise.  



But would that great power come with a great responsibillity?
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
I don't do dark, dismal crapsack worlds.  I want high adventure.  If my PC kicks it, I want it to be in dramatic fashion in battle with a villain, not 'whoops ... didn't bring enough water'.


What?  Dark Sun is high adventure.  Every advernturer in darksun carries as much water as they can, and they make sure they can get more.  In the game I was in, nobody ever died from lack of water supplies.  Or ammo.

No, the real problem were weapon breakage rules.  I went through waaay too many weapons.
At the same time, requiring players to track ammo is a mistake to begin with, so good GMs don't require it.



No, only the bad & the lazy DMs/players don't track important things like ammo.
Cheats as well. 

Because ammo IS very important to ranged weapon users.  It's their second most important # - after HPs.
 It's also the drawback to their chosen weapon.  Much like the drawback to using only a sword is that you don't generally have ranged options.
You don't want the drawback?  Make another choice....
And it's what makes things like magic quivers that never run out & magic bows that don't use ammo valuable.... 

So really?  IMO: If you're not tracking your ammo AND you don't have such magic?  Your cheating.  Oh, you disagree? 
Well, wether your a player or a DM you'd scream your head off if the sword weilder just added another +5 or such to his roll - wouldn't you?  You'd wail about balance etc.  And you'd probably be quite upset if the other players just wrote some extra magic item (of = cost of that magic quiver that you don't really have) on their sheets wouldn't you?

And if you're cheating like that?  Then you might as well cheat abit more.  Don't track HPs.  Because afterall?  How much fun is it to run out of HPs during a fight?  (I bet it's less fun than running out of arrows!)

And if your too lazy just to keep a tally mark of arrows fired? .....
 
I'm sorry that our BADWRONGFUN offends you.  Heaven forbid people should play the game in a way they enjoy.

Done with you now.
Wow, I've never seen someone get so fired up about tracking arrows such that they called those who don't "lazy" or "cheats." That's very interesting.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Wow, I've never seen someone get so fired up about tracking arrows such that they called those who don't "lazy" or "cheats." That's very interesting.



Just ignore him.  CCS treats everybody who doesn't take his way of playing as Holy Gospel that way.

Another fine reason to be an atheist.

I don't require tracking of ammo, or rations, or even money.  The amount of fun garnered from tracking such (and it's usually negative fun) isn't worth the bean-countery.
I don't require tracking of ammo, or rations, or even money.  The amount of fun garnered from tracking such (and it's usually negative fun) isn't worth the bean-countery.



Agreed. If and when you did track those things, how often did it end up where a shortage in any of them added any drama to the table? Shortages and making do with less/nothing can make for compelling elements in a narrative, but in my experience, it came up so infrequently as to make the whole exercise pointless.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

At the same time, requiring players to track ammo is a mistake to begin with, so good GMs don't require it.



No, only the bad & the lazy DMs/players don't track important things like ammo.
Cheats as well. 

Because ammo IS very important to ranged weapon users.  It's their second most important # - after HPs.
 It's also the drawback to their chosen weapon.  Much like the drawback to using only a sword is that you don't generally have ranged options.
You don't want the drawback?  Make another choice....
And it's what makes things like magic quivers that never run out & magic bows that don't use ammo valuable.... 

So really?  IMO: If you're not tracking your ammo AND you don't have such magic?  Your cheating.  Oh, you disagree? 
Well, wether your a player or a DM you'd scream your head off if the sword weilder just added another +5 or such to his roll - wouldn't you?  You'd wail about balance etc.  And you'd probably be quite upset if the other players just wrote some extra magic item (of = cost of that magic quiver that you don't really have) on their sheets wouldn't you?

And if you're cheating like that?  Then you might as well cheat abit more.  Don't track HPs.  Because afterall?  How much fun is it to run out of HPs during a fight?  (I bet it's less fun than running out of arrows!)

And if your too lazy just to keep a tally mark of arrows fired? .....
 

A little extreme on both sides. Mind if I interject?

I used to be exacting about the ammo.
On the plus side of doing that - a sense of realism
On the down side - Someone's likely going to make a mistake somewhere anyway. I felt like the time spent resource tracking might better be used in other aspects.

If you can do it accurately without detracting from other parts of the game and want to keep up with it, it doesn't hurt anything to do so and can add a sense of realism knowing you bought 20 arrows and have used exactly 17, meaning you have 3 shots left.

As DM, I keep up with HP. It's not a secret list and sometimes I make mistakes there as well. The players are also keeping up with their HP and I trust them to help me keep the tally accurate. I am indeed too lazy to keep up with their arrows. I trust them to keep up with those, but I'll estimate the arrow count. I figure if I'm in the ballpark I can ask the player where they stand on arrows and get a reasonable answer and if we're off by 2 or 3, we can say those were replenished in some way. At some point, we'll make a deal of it and say "Okay, you've been sniping in that tree for 6 rounds and you didn't have a full quiver to begin with, you reach in your quiver and realize you only have (d6) arrows left. Then we'll keep track.

When I'm playing a character, I'm much more accurate about it than when I DM because it feels more realistic to me and I don't like the discrepancies. But as a DM, what you call lazy I call picking my battles. It doesn't mean someone is a bad DM. It only means there is less emphasis on realism when supplies aren't accurately tracked.

Unless you keep in mind that in the heat of battle, some of that accurate tracking is likely going to go out the window until you reach in the quiver and realize you're low on ammo. In which case the lack of accuracy ADDS TO the heightened sense of realism.

Laziness and bad aren't necessarily the same things, either. Laziness is the father of invention. We'd never had the automobile except people were too lazy to sweep up the horse dung. We'd never had the sewing machine  except that someone was too lazy to use a loom (which was invented because someone was too lazy to chew the deer hides). You get the idea. As DM, the effort you are spending keeping  up with supplies is likely effort not being used increasing detail somewhere else. It's all a trade-off.


A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
I don't require tracking of ammo, or rations, or even money.  The amount of fun garnered from tracking such (and it's usually negative fun) isn't worth the bean-countery.



Agreed. If and when you did track those things, how often did it end up where a shortage in any of them added any drama to the table? Shortages and making do with less/nothing can make for compelling elements in a narrative, but in my experience, it came up so infrequently as to make the whole exercise pointless.



Rarely, if ever.  It was just tedium.

It really hit the point where I just decided it wasn't worth it when one player bought 80 arrows for himself, then 40 arrows for each other member of the party to tote for him.
Wow, I've never seen someone get so fired up about tracking arrows such that they called those who don't "lazy" or "cheats." That's very interesting.



Just ignore him.  CCS treats everybody who doesn't take his way of playing as Holy Gospel that way.

Another fine reason to be an atheist.

I don't require tracking of ammo, or rations, or even money.  The amount of fun garnered from tracking such (and it's usually negative fun) isn't worth the bean-countery.

Not sure who pooped in your pudding, but I'm not sure I'm willing to base my entire world view on one person's opinion as expressed in a gaming forum.

I think I'll remain a theist.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Keeping track of ammo and other supplies can indeed be tedious and time consuming.  You might even call it lazy to not do it, which has already been done.  But I completely agree with SJC on this.  It CAN add realism and it CAN contribute in dramatic ways that require the PCs to be more innovative in how they handle a situation.

But it all really depends on the people you're playing with.  If you're running a game and the players are into keeping a good tally on their supplies and would find it interesting if situations occurred where they had to improvise due to running out of something, then by all means, keep track of things.  However, if that wouldn't be something that the players are interested in and would only detract from the game, then just let it slide.
Wow, I've never seen someone get so fired up about tracking arrows such that they called those who don't "lazy" or "cheats." That's very interesting.

I thought it was pretty interesting as well. Who knew it could be so controversial a topic? These kids and their energy drinks, lol.

I chalk it up to over-exhuberance. I haven't seen so much excitement since they added the two point conversion to NFL rules.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

I used to be exacting about the ammo.
On the plus side of doing that - a sense of realism
On the down side - Someone's likely going to make a mistake somewhere anyway. I felt like the time spent resource tracking might better be used in other aspects.



Also:  Nobody else has to do it.

Wizards don't have to track how many spell components they have before they run out of Magic Missile.
Fighters don't have to track how many enemies they've hit since last sharpening their sword before it goes blunt.
Clerics don't have to track how many prayers they've spoken since they last took a drink to keep from going hoarse.
A rogue who throws weapons doesn't even have to track this after first level because all his weapons auto-return, and he doesn't have to track it AT first level either because for pokcet change paid for out of starting cash he'll never run out of knives.

NOBODY ELSE has to track this - and the way the game is balanced means that the ranged weapon users aren't even getting a commensurate advantage.  Combine with the price and weight of ammo being so absolutely trivial that you can easily carry more arrows than you possible could fire in a level for pocket change?  And that that becomes "more than I can possibly fire in a LIFETIME, for pocket change" before you're out of Heroic

The inevitable conclusion is that tracking ammo is just plain stupid, and only a bad GM who doesn't understand how the economy and game balance work would insist on it.  And the RESULT of his tracking is a player who says "yippee.  I now have to spend a bunch of time tracking irrelevancies, because I made a flavour choice that doesn't come with a mechanical advantage".
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
CCS treats everybody who doesn't take his way of playing as Holy Gospel that way.

Another fine reason to be an atheist.



I think I'll remain a theist.



Uh, he meant in reference to "playing that dude's way is Holy Gospel", and was referring to being a non-follower of The Church Of That Dude.  Not out of game religion.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
@LordOfWeasels:  Your point about the cost/weight/etc of arrows really being a non-issue is true.  However, that does not mean that a player and DM who agree that they would both like the tracking of ammo to be in the game are not stupid because they choose to do so.  It just means that's how they like to play.

Also, depending on what edition you are using and what other rules, RAW or house that you have agreed to use, your other examples are not necessarily accurate.  For example 3.5e, wizards have to prepare the spells that they are going to use for the day.  If they use up all of those spells before getting an opportunity to "re-prepare" then they would be in the same situation as a ranged character that ran out of ammo.  They most definitely do have to keep track of this then so that they can continue to be useful to the party and have to apply their spells when and where they will be most effective, instead of just tossing them all out on the first encounter they come across.

Same goes for other spell casting classes.  Again this depends on the edition you're using and the rules your group has agreed upon.  But if you are using these rules then all classes that have the ability to cast spells have limits.  This is to help balance the game. 

I mean seriously, consider this......If a Wizard could go around casting unlimited fireballs or a Cleric could cast unlimited Mass Heals, wouldn't that greatly unbalance the game?  There are limits on these things so that every class has its advantages and disadvantages.

Now as I've stated before I'm not saying that anyone HAS to keep track of consumable supplies, but if that is something that both the players in the group and the DM decide together they want to do to add a sense of realism, then that's their decision and they shouldn't be told that what they're doing is stupid.
One of the early previews of 4th Edition characters featured one that had a bow and a "quiver of arrows." For one brief, shining moment, I thought they had decided that tracking arrows was officially not worth anyone's time, and that it was ok just to assume that people who used arrows always had enough. Then the game was released. Oh, well. They at least gave all magic thrown weapons the returning property. A shame they didn't make all magic missile weapons work like the bow from that one kids cartoon show where the kids are trapped in a fantasy world. I forget what it was called. Oh, well, maybe there were copyright issues.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

@LordOfWeasels:  Your point about the cost/weight/etc of arrows really being a non-issue is true.  However, that does not mean that a player and DM who agree that they would both like the tracking of ammo to be in the game are not stupid because they choose to do so.  It just means that's how they like to play.



If a player wants to track ammo for his own character, more power to him.  A GM who insists on it is still doing it wrong.

Also, depending on what edition you are using and what other rules, RAW or house that you have agreed to use, your other examples are not necessarily accurate. 



"In games that aren't the one we're discussing, things that are true about the game we're discussing aren't always true"

For example 3.5e, wizards have to prepare the spells that they are going to use for the day.  If they use up all of those spells before getting an opportunity to "re-prepare" then they would be in the same situation as a ranged character that ran out of ammo.  They most definitely do have to keep track of this then so that they can continue to be useful to the party and have to apply their spells when and where they will be most effective, instead of just tossing them all out on the first encounter they come across.



Yes, in games where ammo tracking matters, ammo tracking might matter.

This is not a game where ammo tracking matters.

I mean seriously, consider this......If a Wizard could go around casting unlimited fireballs or a Cleric could cast unlimited Mass Heals, wouldn't that greatly unbalance the game? 



Depends - but, for the most part, even D20 didn't have "unlimited" because even ignoring component it limited spe3lls per level per day.  And applying that disingenous example to *the game we're talking about*, your argument is "if Wizards could use Dailies every round all day long, wouldn't that be unbalancing?" and yes, yes it would be - but we're not talking about that.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
To your first counterpoint:  I never said that DMs should insist on using tracking of ammo or other consumables.  What I stated was that IF both the player(s) and the DM AGREE that they would like to track these kinds of items then more power to them.  IF that is there wish it is NOT stupid it is simply how they have decided to play the game.

To your second counterpoint:  I had forgotten that this particular discussion was referencing 4e specifically in this case, so that was my fault and I freely admit it. 

To your third counterpoint:  Again you are correct, in reference to 4e this is not an important issue since they have basically taken out ammo tracking amongst other things.

To your final counterpoint:  Yet again in 4e you are correct and I am not disputing that point.

However, a final point that I do want to make is that not all of us play 4e and that while OPs orginal question was based in that does not mean that people who play other editions cannot benefit from these discussions as well.  So once again I admit that your points are correct in terms of 4e, but in other games and/or editions (depending on the rules that the group decides upon) my points are valid.  The main valid point is that regardless of what edition or game a group is playing, if the group (or the individuals that it would affect) decide that they would like to track consumable items like arrows or whatever, they are NOT doing something stupid, they are simply playing the game the way that is most enjoyable for them.
I'm sorry that our BADWRONGFUN offends you.  Heaven forbid people should play the game in a way they enjoy.

Done with you now.



Another one bites the dust. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Wow, I've never seen someone get so fired up about tracking arrows such that they called those who don't "lazy" or "cheats." That's very interesting.



It's sad, really. If they're that anal about the game, makes me wonder how else their players have to suffer...
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
One of the early previews of 4th Edition characters featured one that had a bow and a "quiver of arrows." For one brief, shining moment, I thought they had decided that tracking arrows was officially not worth anyone's time, and that it was ok just to assume that people who used arrows always had enough. Then the game was released. Oh, well. They at least gave all magic thrown weapons the returning property. A shame they didn't make all magic missile weapons work like the bow from that one kids cartoon show where the kids are trapped in a fantasy world. I forget what it was called. Oh, well, maybe there were copyright issues.



There is the quenchquiver bow which fires arrows made of water. All the damage, none of the tracking, and it can douse fires, torches, etc. I figure it also would be handy in the desert.
Keeping track of ammo and other supplies can indeed be tedious and time consuming.  You might even call it lazy to not do it, which has already been done.  But I completely agree with SJC on this.  It CAN add realism and it CAN contribute in dramatic ways that require the PCs to be more innovative in how they handle a situation.

But it all really depends on the people you're playing with.  If you're running a game and the players are into keeping a good tally on their supplies and would find it interesting if situations occurred where they had to improvise due to running out of something, then by all means, keep track of things.  However, if that wouldn't be something that the players are interested in and would only detract from the game, then just let it slide.



I don't see how keeping track of ammo and other supplies is even remotely realistic.  First, most players probably carry about 20 arrows, and could retrieve most of them after a fight.  I fire what, 2 arrows per round (assuming twin strike spam)  That means that I'm likely to be 10 rounds deep in combat before I run out.  Do you know how damned /long/ that fight would drag out?  I'd be ready for my character to die just to end the combat! 

At the end of the combat, I'm going to police em up and use them again, because the rules don't account for damaged or lost arrows, and it's "unrealistic" to say my arrows are not resuable...so I will never be running out.  If I'm never going to be running out, then why bother tracking them?  It's a waste of your time and mine.

I don't see how keeping track of ammo and other supplies is even remotely realistic.  First, most players probably carry about 20 arrows, and could retrieve most of them after a fight.  I fire what, 2 arrows per round (assuming twin strike spam)  That means that I'm likely to be 10 rounds deep in combat before I run out.  Do you know how damned /long/ that fight would drag out?  I'd be ready for my character to die just to end the combat! 

At the end of the combat, I'm going to police em up and use them again, because the rules don't account for damaged or lost arrows, and it's "unrealistic" to say my arrows are not resuable...so I will never be running out.  If I'm never going to be running out, then why bother tracking them?  It's a waste of your time and mine.



Nice, I like that.

I think previous editions of D&D had you roll to see if they broke or not (though I may just be remembering a horrible house rule). What a bore.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Actually, in 4e, the rules *do* account for broken arrows; ammunition is unrecoverable, it's always lost or broken.
One of you two is a filthy liar... and I'm too trusting.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Actually, in 4e, the rules *do* account for broken arrows; ammunition is unrecoverable, it's always lost or broken.



MAGICAL ammo is unrecoverable.

Nonmagical ammo is unspecified.  However, it's trivial to carry way more arrows than you can ever fire.  Trivial in cost, trivial in carrying capacity, even trivial in "realistic storage" concerns.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
One of you two is a filthy liar... and I'm too trusting.



That's probably me that's a filthy liar.  I didn't remember ever reading anything about it, and didn't look it up.
Sign In to post comments