Dragon's Eye View: Hippogriffon

Recently, James described hippogriffs and griffons in his Wandering Monsters article. Jon has chosen to tackle the elusive hybrid of hippogriff and griffon, called the hippogriffon, in his. (No, not really. He's sticking to the hippogriff.) Visually, what do you want in a hippogriff? Jon asks you to think about this and provide feedback in this week’s column.

Dragon's Eye View: Hippogriffon 

All around helpful simian

I like the bw art.   Not enought bw art these days.
Honestly, for me, the best hippogriff I have ever seen is that 3E one (the one on the far right of the images in this article).

And I'm an old school 1E/2E guy, so that's not nostalgia talking - that 3E Monster Manual image of a hippogriff is just plain spot on in my opinion.
Honestly, I think the 3.5 art for the Hippogriff is just about perfect. You could mess around with the coloration, and that would be fine, but as far as anatomical concerns, it just plain wins. I think the reason that it works so well is that it actually looks like its own creature rather than just a bunch of creatures slapped together, which tends to look silly even if it does follow the more classic mythological descriptions. It looks like something that could believably be simplistically described as a cross between an eagle and a horse, yet it still look like a realistic animal that could theoretically exist. This of this as similar to how the popular incarnation of the Minotaur is no longer the simple bull's head on a man's body but rather more of a humanoid bull.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Griffin is like a lion and hippogriff like a cheetah, Griffin like a boser dog and hippogriff like greyhound.

I like the picture of the right (the classic one from Monster Manual 3r Ed) and the new (black and white) from center-left.  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

the hippogriffs from the harry potter movies get my vote for the best representation.
A hippogriff was taught to me as as the offspring of a male griffon and mare by my old biology teacher who added on into my ecosystem project (JUST TO MESS WITH ME!).

He made me use the Orlando Furioso's version I belive.

"For him a filly to griffin bore; Hight hippogryph. In wings and beak and crest, Formed like his sire, as in the feet before; But like the mare, his dam, in all the rest"

So a horse with wings, an eagle head, talons for forlegs, and maybe a lion's tail.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

For me, Hippogriff has always looked like Horse+Eagle and Griffon was Lion+Eagle, but that's simply how I told them appart.

"Virtus junxit, mors non separabit."  

In my worldview, a hippogriff is eagle/horse. A griffin (gryphon) is eagle/lion (or hawk/lion as a variant). Definitely not the same creature. Both have avian characteristics from beaks to front claws and wings, and mammal from shoulders/withers the rest of the way back.

Just as there can be varieties of eagles and hawks and of horses, there can be variants in both hippogriffs and griffins. (If there are variants of lions, then they can factor into it, too.)

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Could a lesser brother be a canon D&D creature?

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Like we discussed regarding the owlbear, I'd be up for some "ecological variations" when it comes to hybrid creatures like this.  There could be a a lot of variation in both the eagle-half head shape and plumage, and in the horse-half shape and coat color.  Maybe heartland hippogroffs are more like "standard" golden eagles and thoroughbred horses.  But then tundra hippogriffs can be smaller and shaggier, like a bald eagle and shetland pony.  Desert hippogriffs would be leaner like an arabian horse and maybe even more like a red-tail hawk in head shape and coloration.  You could have some fun exotic ones like a zebra crossed with a harpy eagle (Google a pic, they have awesome head feathers).

For the Griffon, I definitely like the classical look: hindlegs of a lion, forelegs of an eagle.

But for the Hippogriff, I seem to like the blended look better: No hoofs, all four legs have talons. Basically horse body, but the head is fully eaglelike.

The pictures below are closer to the style of a mount that I would want for my character. But I would prefer a more aquiline less equine head.

This is a pretty good picture of a Hippogriff from the Forgotten Realm tradition:

For me, this Hippogriff is excellent, by Giddygecko at DeviantArt.com

Hippopotamogriffin, by Sir Joseph the Crowe

A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Hippopotamogriffin, by Sir Joseph the Crowe

That picture cracks me up every time. Its awesome!

When do we get chocobos?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

This is a pretty good picture of a Hippogriff from the Forgotten Realm tradition:

Should the rider's legs go in front of the wings?  I always imagined the rider's legs being behind the wings
When do we get chocobos?

Axebeak, from "Guide of arms and equipment"

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/aeg_gallery/50032.jpg)

* I rebember the vermins mounts from videogame "Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder". What if any mounts are added template "monstrous stag" from "Savage Species"?

IMAGE(http://www.imagenes-juegos.com/imagen-i218368-in.jpg)IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ss_gallery/49099.jpg)

I want a giant mantis pokemon mount what spites fire. 

Sign In to post comments