Green Mana Ramp (Gatecrash)

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a list I just kinda threw together in the past 20 minutes and looking over it I feel pretty good about it. First turn Arbor Elf, Second turn Gyre Sage and Forced Adaptation. And from there, the ramp explodes. Obviously the end game is Primordial Hydra. The only 2 cards I'm not really 100% about are Fog and Golgari Decoy. I think I'd like to keep Golgari Decoy. But Fog has got to go. Any suggestions?
[DECK] The only 2 cards I'm not really 100% about are Fog and Golgari Decoy. I think I'd like to keep Golgari Decoy. But Fog has got to go. Any suggestions?

Rancor!
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
OMG! I wonder why I never thought of that. It's like one of the most used cards in standard right now and it just went right over my head haha.
[DECK] The only 2 cards I'm not really 100% about are Fog and Golgari Decoy. I think I'd like to keep Golgari Decoy. But Fog has got to go. Any suggestions?

Rancor!

question though, for gyre sage, would cards such as giant growth count as 3 +1/+1's and give me the option to tap for 3 mana? I know rancor can't do it because it ony does +2 to the creatures attack.
No. The card would have to specify '+3/+3 counters' instead of just +3/+3. See common bond or increasing savagery for examples.
Or rather it would say 'three +1/+1 counters' is what I meant.
hmmmmmmm i really like that increasing savagery card, but i don;t know if I would wanna risk taking anything out of the decklist right now to put that in...
Decoy would be my choice.
I hate suggesting it, but Thragtusk

And if you're ramping anyways, consider Skarrg Goliath. Swing with a manadork, toss him and hit for massive damage.
I abosolutely hate [C] Thragtusk [/C] with a burning passion... That's the only reason he isn't in this deck list. He's just so over played in green decks, and everybody who doesn't play control at my local shop plays Green Ramp/Aggro and he is the main event. That's the reason I was inspired to make this deck. I wanna make a good Green Deck that doesn't call for him in standard.

Something I did just consider though...
Are there any good green cards that will give me draw power? I'm thinking about adding in [C] Garruk, Primal Hunter [/C] just for his -3 ability. But if there's anything better then that just let me know.
He's just so over played in green decks, and everybody who doesn't play control at my local shop plays Green Ramp/Aggro and he is the main event. That's the reason I was inspired to make this deck. I wanna make a good Green Deck that doesn't call for him in standard.

He's played a lot because he is good. Rancor is in almost every green deck, again, because it is so good. However, nobody complains about Rancor.

I know this is a ramp deck, but I think you may actually have too many forests. What about replacing 2-4 of them with Ranger's Path or Farseek?

Also, I may be misunderstanding the Evolve mechanism, but doesn't it only apply when the second creature enters the battlefield (i.e. not when it's being buffed or otherwise gaining counters)? In which case, Decoy and Hydra are the only creatures in your deck which could potentially take advantage of the mechanism. 
The new Avatar (green primordial) could be good here, as well as Craterhoof and Worldspine.

Something I did just consider though...
Are there any good green cards that will give me draw power? I'm thinking about adding in [C] Garruk, Primal Hunter [/C] just for his -3 ability. But if there's anything better then that just let me know.

Straight draw? Abundant Growth which is fairly redundant here. Or Elvish Visionary are what I can think of off the top of my head.
Your deck scares me.  Here's why.  If you can manage to ramp into a Hydra and I have no Murder or the like, I'm pretty screwed.  On the other hand, if I'm playing your deck I'm the one that'll have a hand full of ramp and the next 5 draws will also be ramp.  What I'm trying to say is, there seems to be quite a bit of ramp.  I'd agree with the too much forest comment but I don't think adding more ramp is the key.  I think draw cards would definitely be the way to go.  I've played ramp decks before that had ramp about the same as yours, and I got crushed because I never got the cards I was looking to ramp into.  Just a thought.
I like it, even though the evolve mechanism might only get a couple I think it will be enough. other cards to consider are Ranger's Guile which might help you to protect your Primordail Hydra & another card I've been useing of late which I think might fit in well is Predator Ooze him & Rancor love each other.
I forgot to add Hunger of the howlpack as a thought for extra counters not sure how well it would work out
I know this is a ramp deck, but I think you may actually have too many forests. What about replacing 2-4 of them with Ranger's Path or Farseek?

Also, I may be misunderstanding the Evolve mechanism, but doesn't it only apply when the second creature enters the battlefield (i.e. not when it's being buffed or otherwise gaining counters)? In which case, Decoy and Hydra are the only creatures in your deck which could potentially take advantage of the mechanism. 

I think your misunderstanding Evolve. I would go back and re read Gyre Sage. It has 2 diffrent rules on it. It's not just Evolve, which is what I think you were trying to say. Otherwise I'm kinda confused.

I think your misunderstanding Evolve. I would go back and re read Gyre Sage. It has 2 diffrent rules on it. It's not just Evolve, which is what I think you were trying to say. Otherwise I'm kinda confused.

Um.. no, you're misunderstanding.

Gyre Sage is a 1/2, and it will only evolve if you play a creature with higher power (1) or toughness (2) than it. That means playing Arbor Elf can't evolve Gyre Sage, and  Elvish Archdruid or Golgari Decoy can only ever evolve Gyre Sage once. Gyre Sage will also never evolve another Gyre Sage.

That means, in order to get Gyre Sage to tap for any more than just ONE green mana, you'd have to play Primordial Hydras that come in to play with higher than 2 power (Gyre Sage with one +1/+1 counter), higher than 3 power (Sage with two counters), and so on.

Evolve will only trigger when something comes in to play.

Beside that point, Green has Triumph of Ferocity for card draw, and if you wanted to go green/blue, you'd also have access to Simic's various options for card draw in Gatecrash.
Yeah i agree with CarbonatedSoda i think Elvish Visionary would work really well in this deck.
Oh, now I see what your saying. And yes I knew that. But I don't think you see how I'm playing him. I'm not only using evolve to give him counters.

First Turn - Play a Forest, [C]Arbor Elf[/C]

Second Turn -  Play a Forest, Gyre Sage. Untap forest with Arbor Elf to lay down Forced Adaptation on Gyre Sage

Third Turn - Gyre Sage becomes a 2/3. Play a Forest, [C]Elvish Archdruid[/C] Gyre Sage becomes a 3/4 because of evolve. And then a 4/5 Because of Elvish ArchDruid's efffect.

Now on the 4th turn I have 4 forests, Archdruid taping for 3, and Gyre Sage tapping for 4. That's 11 mana plus the extra forest I can untap with Arbor Elf. 
Oh, now I see what your saying. And yes I knew that. But I don't think you see how I'm playing him. I'm not only using evolve to give him counters.

First Turn - Play a Forest, [C]Arbor Elf[/C]

Second Turn -  Play a Forest, Gyre Sage. Untap forest with Arbor Elf to lay down Forced Adaptation on Gyre Sage

Third Turn - Gyre Sage becomes a 2/3. Play a Forest, [C]Elvish Archdruid[/C] Gyre Sage becomes a 3/4 because of evolve. And then a 4/5 Because of Elvish ArchDruid's efffect.

Now on the 4th turn I have 4 forests, Archdruid taping for 3, and Gyre Sage tapping for 4. That's 11 mana plus the extra forest I can untap with Arbor Elf. 

That's not how Evolve works.  Gyre Sage is a 1/2, so it gets a +1/+1 when a creature enters the battlefield with a power of 2 or more, or a toughness of 3 or more.  Once she has 1 counter, she's a 2/3, so the creature entering the battlefield has to have a power of 3 or more, or a toughness of 4 or more.  2 counters makes her a 3/4 so the creature ETB has to have a power of 4 or more or a toughness of 5 or more to get her another counter...and so on and so on...etc.  None of the creatures you are using can Evolve the Sage past 1 counter besides the Hydras themselves.  Also, Elvish Archdruid's pump is a static ability, it doesn't add counters, so it has nothing to do with Gyre Sage's mana ability, but it does make it even harder to trigger Evolve.     
Seriously people? [C] Forced Adaptation [/C]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now I see why everyone thinks I'm so stupid, I just realized [C] Elvish Archdruid [/C] is a 2/2 not a 3/3...... dzrsghjknaektjhnkaejnthk;anreljrqj. But still, that only brings me down to 9 mana on 4th turn after all the math. And that's still a lot of ramp.

Seriously people? [C] Forced Adaptation [/C]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now I see why everyone thinks I'm so stupid, I just realized [C] Elvish Archdruid [/C] is a 2/2 not a 3/3...... dzrsghjknaektjhnkaejnthk;anreljrqj. But still, that only brings me down to 9 mana on 4th turn after all the math. And that's still a lot of ramp.

In short: Forced Adaptation does not proc Evolve.
Yeah but my sage is still gonna get the +1 counters each turn because of it. So I'm still getting 1 more mana each turn.
Have you looked at the Axebane Guardian , Niblis of the Breath , Illusionist's Bracers combo...infinite mana possible.

Beside's that, a  Blessings of Nature could work some wonders in your deck.  
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Also, in an attempt to ease some of waterbury's tension:

Gyre Sage mana production ability triggers off ANY +1/+1 counter, not just +1/+1 counters from evolve.  It doesn't matter whether or not evolve triggers in order to ramp that mana.  
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
Also, in an attempt to ease some of waterbury's tension:

Gyre Sage mana production ability triggers off ANY +1/+1 counter, not just +1/+1 counters from evolve.  It doesn't matter whether or not evolve triggers in order to ramp that mana.  

Thank you!! someone understands what I was trying to say... And yes I've been taking a look at more +1/+1 counter cards in standard right now. But I really am concerned with draw power and green protection spells. Everyone's suggestions have pretty much gone into my maybeboard and I'm gonna start sliding a lot of them into my sideboard. What I really need is something else to rely on besides my hydra. I'm considering [C] Worldspine Wurm [/C] but I'm not really sure. I definately need to take out the golgari decoy though.
Urban Evolution and Soul of Harvest can give you some gas. I played around with this concept too. Check out Elves of the Deep Shadow. I would rely on Increasing Savagery to ramp. In my list I considered Prime Speaker Zegana as a draw/win con.
Elves of the deep shadow forum article that is. Not the card
He's just so over played in green decks, and everybody who doesn't play control at my local shop plays Green Ramp/Aggro and he is the main event. That's the reason I was inspired to make this deck. I wanna make a good Green Deck that doesn't call for him in standard.

He's played a lot because he is good. Rancor is in almost every green deck, again, because it is so good. However, nobody complains about Rancor.

For many people, there's a big difference between Thragtusk and Rancor: ~ $21/card. I include myself in that. To suggest throwing $12 into a deck for a playset of a great card is different from suggesting that someone throw $100 into a deck for a playset of a great card. This reflects the class struggle in the MTG meta. And so some people would rather play around thragtusk and spend that money on something else. 
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
Sign In to post comments