Cipher Q: Consuming Aberration

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
With Consuming Aberration it says whenever i cast a spell they mill tell they hit a land, with cipher lets say i encoded onto an unblockable creature, does this mean everytime i deal damage and cast the encoded cipher card "Consuming Aberration's" effect kicks in? does the copy count as a casting a spell??
Yes.

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were at least two weeks old)

Please Autocard: [c]Consuming Aberration[/c] = Consuming Aberration

When the encoded creature deals combat damage it copies the card and then casts it.  So to answer your question in this case it would indeed cast the spell.  It happens every time the creature deals combat damage, so if you attack and deal combat damage each turn then you have the option to cast the copy of the spell.

Ah now I understand your question, yes it will trigger when the copy of the spell is cast. 

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

With Consuming Aberration it says whenever i cast a spell they mill tell they hit a land, with cipher lets say i encoded onto an unblockable creature, does this mean everytime i deal damage and cast the encoded cipher card "Consuming Aberration's" effect kicks in? does the copy count as a casting a spell??

It is not the copy of a spell, it is the copy of the exiled CARD. Copying a card that's exiled doesn't allow you to suddenly become the controller of a spell on the stack, thus the cipher rules telling you to CAST the copy, which means: take it and put it on the stack, chose modes, target, etc...

Reverberate and co don't do that, you copy a spell that is already on the stack, there's no need to cast it, in fact you can't.

There lies the difference. The other card that makes you copy and cast exiled cards is Isochron Scepter. It works kind of the same as cipher except it's an activated ability instead of a triggered one.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

I have a question about cypher in general then.

If I have Invisible Stalker on the board and I cast Call of the Nightwing.

I put a 1/1 token into play and then cypher my Invisible Stalker who attacks deals damage and
adds another 1/1 token into play (as a result of copying the card)

But if I copy the card and the card has cypher on it does that mean I can encode another creature with the Cypher copy?

IE: The spell is encoded onto my rogue, he hits, I copy the spell.. the token is out and I can encode the token if I want. Next turn the token and the rogue hit, I get 2 - 1/1 tokens , and can encode 2 more creatures? 
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
No, Cipher only works with real cards. Copies cannot be Ciphered.

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were at least two weeks old)

A copy of a card can only exist on the battlefield or on the stack. Since cypher exiles the copy, it ceases to exist as a state based action and the creature won't be encoded anymore.

704.5e If a copy of a spell is in a zone other than the stack, it ceases to exist. If a copy of a card is in any zone other than the stack or the battlefield, it ceases to exist.

Edit: cypher can only exile cards. Copies of them cannot even be encoded.
That makes sense.. so I have one more question. Double Strike, does that trigger the encoded spell twice? sorry if my questions are lame.. im returning to magic after several years and a lot of this stuff is pretty new to me still. 
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Yes. Double strike creates two combat damage steps and the creature gets to deal combat damage in both. So you get to cast the copy in both steps.
Please Autocard: [c]Consuming Aberration[/c] = Consuming Aberration

When the encoded creature deals combat damage it copies the card and then casts it.  So to answer your question in this case it would indeed cast the spell.  It happens every time the creature deals combat damage, so if you attack and deal combat damage each turn then you have the option to cast the copy of the spell.

Ah now I understand your question, yes it will trigger when the copy of the spell is cast. 

oh man limited with dimir is going to get out of hand then!!! oh geezzz
Sign In to post comments