Dragon's Maze Discussion: Guilds Paired? And possible theme?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know I'm quite an umber of months early, but I've noticed something about the way the guilds are arranged. If you notice... each color has four guilds associated with it. 2 of those guilds have that color as the primary, 2 guilds have it as a secondary.

For example. With white, Azorius and Orzhov both have it as a secondary. Boros, and Simic have it as a secondary.

If I were to pair each of the guilds based on their Primary colors... we have (shared colors capitalized)

Azorius/Orzhov: Wub

Izzet/Dimir:        Ubr

Rakdos/Golgari: Brg 

Boros/Gruul:      Rgw

Simic/Selesnya: Gwu

Is this simply synergistic design? or do you think this is planned to set up for multiguild alliances? Now, if we look at secondary color pairs...

Boros/Selesnya: Wrg

Azorius/Simic:     Uwg

Orzhov/Dimir:     Bwu

Rakdos/Izzet:     Rub

Golgari/Gruul:     Gbr

This second pairing doesn't work very well, synergystically, or flavorfully, but flavorfully, Izzet/Dimir from the first pairing doesn't work at all, at least, not in its current state, since we know from flavor text in Gatecrash, that Lazav wants to know what Niv Mizzet is up to, meaning he doesn't already know.

I think five guild alliances would be much easier to build for in Dragon's Maze than putting all ten guilds in DGM, unless every card in DGM is multicolored. Or conversely, it's an almost entirely non-multicolor set, based around the guildless taking down the guilds. Furthermore... the primordial avatars from GTC, seem to hint that nature, and the past is starting to fight back. I hypothesize that at the heart of Ravnica is an apparratus that keeps nature in check, to keep it from rapidly decimating the plane, similar to the way they had Argyem, the Ghost Quarter isolated. I sense a huge shift in the plane coming for DGM, similar to the way Shards of Alara ended. Promises of ultimate power never end well in MtG.

Any significances you agree/disagree upon? Do you think split-cards will return? Multicolored cards with 1color, and 1 hybrid in the casting cost? There is also suspicion that signets will be used in DGM, because of a few revealed pieces of art in a cycle, that appeared partially in the duel deck Izzet vs. Golgari. Also, it's been mentioned that some cycles were started in GTC and RtR, that will be concluded in DGM. Will the uncounterable spells be a part of that?

Also, with potential shard-cards. Will we get cards with multiple guild keywords? An evolve creature that populates when evolved? A detaining enchantment that extorts? This breaks down when you look at Overload and Cipher, though. As well as, Unleash and Scavenge. This is likely not going to happen, but still fun to think about! This just as much a thread about what others would like to see!

I think the Primodials were more like crappy replacements for the Nephilim.  And I really don't expect WotC to turn their ten-guild theme into a 5-guild shard.  If this was going to be Alara, it would've been Alara.  No, we'll see small additions to the previous guilds, we'll see all ten keywords brought back into the set (and I suspect we'll see some of the keywords push the envelope a lot more).  Maaayyyybe WotC will put keywords on out of color cards.  But I doubt that strongly.  We'll see the guild champions, of course.  They'll probably be at rare, even though it'd be cooler to have them at mythic.  But at Mythic, there'd be no room for noncreature mythic spells/lands.  Small sets generally have ~10 mythics, so that'd take up all the room. Especially since we have Ral Zarek's planeswalker card to expect, at minimum.  I'm personally hoping for a new Tibalt as well, that'll be previewed with the duel deck next month. 

I don't think it'll be all multicolor, though they could since the set is designed to be drafted alongside RtR and GTC.  From what I understand, Alara Reborn was really poor to draft because it was all multicolor.  

Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
THE GUILDS OF RAVNICA

WILL DESTROY EACH OTHER.

I'm expecting at least one or more WUBRG (or nephilim colored) cards but I also expect clashing between mono-colored and multicolored. It all depends on whether or not Niv's plan summons those ancient things (leviathans?) that was mentioned in an article a long time ago and never brought up again or is more centered around guild clash or guildless clash.

Guild pairing? No, one-hundred thousand million times no! It doesn't make sense flavor, or design-wise.
The theme is similar to that of Alara Reborn.  Instead of an all gold set though we're going to have an all Split card set.

One half of each card will be a permanent, and the other will be an instant or sorcery.
The theme is similar to that of Alara Reborn.  Instead of an all gold set though we're going to have an all Split card set.

One half of each card will be a permanent, and the other will be an instant or sorcery.

Just that idea makes me go RRRRRRRRGGGGHHH
So, the general form of ideal is, the final set will naturally expand upon umlticolor, but will it add more multi-color hate, via the guildless, or will that be the Return to Return to Ravnica?

Yes, in retrospect it's a bit obvious that they won't do shards. The inclusion of the split cards in the original set is what has been throwing me off, though I can't say I was a fan of them.

So if anything, the guilds will become more divided than ever from each other....And, with guildless being forced to choose sides... I can only imagine this is a territorial war, that will likely  end with guilds owning, essentially, their own countries, or... ahem... city-states, especially since each guild has its own "religion" or high belief of some sort that puts it at such odds with all of the others, that there can be no unity. Which means Dragon's Maze is not the end of a battle. It's the very first outbreak of full out war, and the Return to Return to Ravnica, will be the violent falling out. 

I definitely believe the Champions will be Rare, Legendary Creatures. And if Ral Zarek is the Izzet Mythic rare, then it can be determined that the other 9 guilds will recieve a mythic rare.

The tough part, is I can see where the design space will be exceptionally claustrophobic with DGM, if they intend to keep the guilds and mono-color in balance. Small assumptions following:

10 mythics

10 rare slots (1 for each champion)

If the formula for the other sets holds true, each guild, gets a hybrid at common, uncommon, rare? That would make 30. Unless we've already seen all of the hybrid that there will be. It does allow the set to be easier to draft that way though.... But if that's true... That means from this info alone, that would be a full third of the set. Which leads me to be the guilds would get Hybrids OR multicoloreds, and not both.
...If the formula for the other sets holds true, each guild, gets a hybrid at common, uncommon, rare? That would make 30. Unless we've already seen all of the hybrid that there will be. It does allow the set to be easier to draft that way though.... But if that's true... That means from this info alone, that would be a full third of the set. Which leads me to be the guilds would get Hybrids OR multicoloreds, and not both.

Mostly hybrids would make RTR+GTC+DMZ drafting a lot easier and potentially powerful.  I like that idea!   
Sooo....Simic will be have white instead of being G/U? Niv Mizzet, Lazav, Obzedot, Zegana, and all the rest are not the "champions?" I'm confused about parts of this conversation....

Anyway, I figure there'll be some good cards and unless a person reads the storyline it won't make much sense for a story. As mentioned in other threads, the storyline isn't very obvious to folks buying cards, just to the fans that read the ebooks and what-have-you (since WotC seems uninterested in making real books lately....and I'm still waiting for Innistrad-block to be written as that seems like a great storyline).

I look forward to a handful of good cards and a ton of questions as to what is happening. There'll probably be the usual two planeswalkers (Ral Zarek and some random new one that serves no purpose other than to fill a slot), mythics (hopefully one for each guild, be they creatures or spells), and rares for each monocolor and a few lands/artifacts/multicolor bombs, and then the usual mess of uncommons and commons that are reprints, trash, GILBIC, and actual good cards (like the charms and guildmages, not like Delver....).

Overall, it should be a good set for cards, but probably a frustrating set for storyline-via-cards. I think the story is probably good beginning to end if it could be read at once, but I'm a book-reading kind of guy and so might be biased in that regard. I look forward to it, but then again, I'm looking forward to Gatecrash this weekend still too.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.

Just that idea makes me go RRRRRRRRGGGGHHH

I quit Magic FOREVER when they released the double-sided cards in Innistrad.

(...Luckily, forever wasn't a very long time...)

If they did that, I'd quit forever and ever and ever and EVER.
(Roughly half a year to nine months.)
Niv Mizzet, Lazav, Obzedot, Zegana, and all the rest are not the "champions?" I'm confused about parts of this conversation....

Niv Mizzet, Lazav, Obzedat, Zegana, Isperia, Trostani, Aurelia, Rakdos, Jarad, and Borborygmos are the guild leaders of the new RTR/GTC/DGM block. The guild champions would be something like their 2nd in command or their respective guild's best warrior/asset beside the leader.
I know I'm quite an umber of months early, but I've noticed something about the way the guilds are arranged. If you notice... each color has four guilds associated with it. 2 of those guilds have that color as the primary, 2 guilds have it as a secondary.

For example. With white, Azorius and Orzhov both have it as a secondary. Boros, and Simic have it as a secondary.

I'm going to stop you right here.  First of all, Simic isn't white, secondary or other.  Second--and most importantly--of all, the colors aren't templated that way because one is primary and one is secondary, they are templated that way because of how they fall on the color pie.  It is in no way an indication of primary or secondary colors.

The five colors of Magic are most often arranged in the following order: .  Two colors that are right next to each other are called allied colors, and two colors that are separated by a color in the middle are enemy colors.  They follow this pattern when they make multicolored cards.  For example, cards that share two allied colors have their colors arranged based on this.  All white and blue cards are ordered white first, then blue.  Same down the line, which makes the pairs always look like this: , , , , and they finish the circle with .  When it comes to enemy colors, they decided to start with one color and skip one in the pattern to go to the next one, which is why Orsohv is (skipping blue) and not , because then they'd skip two colors in the middle (red and green).  Therefore, all enemy colored pairs look like this: , , , , and .

Three colors get a little trickier:  The term "Shards" is used for three colors when one color is grouped with its two allies; white, for example, when grouped together with its two allied colors green and blue, will show up on cards as .  It still follows that pattern (, , , , ).  But when a color is grouped together with its two enemy colors--called "wedges"--the templating is different.  White grouped with black and red will show up as .  We start with one color, skip one color to get to the first enemy color, and then that enemy color will actually be an ally of the third color, which is still an enemy of the original color (, , , , ).  (On a personal preference note, I don't like that wedges are grouped like that.  I would have prefered them to go , because then we start with red, skip one color and go to white, then skip one more color to go to black.)  When we get to four colors, we just pick one and go down the line, and when we have five colors we start with white and end with green.

Rules Advisor

Just in terms of mechanics and flavor, I would guess Simic and Golgari would make a nice pairing.

Rakdos and Dimir might work -- the latter manipulating the former as a distraction and aggressive tactic.

I've seen at least one card mentioning Boros and Izzet, so I'll guess them.

Azorius and Orzhov then.

And Gruul and Selsnya is left over.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Dragon's Maze will probably just be 10 2 color pairs, but the hard part is deciding on the intro packs.

I just figured something out.  We are definitely not going to get 10 intro packs for dragon's maze.  It wouldn't make sense, but I'm thinking something like this.

In both RTR, and GTC, with every intro pack with red in it, there is always a different color in it, so we have Izzet Ingenuity, Rakdos Raid, Gruul Goliaths, and Boros Battallion, which has the second color as blue, black, green, and white respectively.  With both RTR and GTC, there would always be 4 intro packs with a particular color in it.

What if Dragon's Maze intro packs are mono colored?  Who am I kidding, they never do mono colored intro packs.  It seems like they always do 2 color intro packs, and knowing the color pairs per intro pack and speculating the colors of the dragon's maze intro packs is much tougher than speculating what will be in the entire set, because we know that there is going to be 10 guilds, and it just expands on both RTR and GTC, so I don't see anything different between DGM and GTC or RTR.  Just think of DGM as RTR and GTC combined, but the set size is smaller.

Dragon's Maze intro packs would be a huge surprise for me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the foil rare was a mono color card.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
What if Dragon's Maze intro packs are mono colored?  Who am I kidding, they never do mono colored intro packs.  It seems like they always do 2 color intro packs...

M13's intro packs were mono colored FYI.
m13 intro packs
Here is my noob take: I think hybrids will allow for a good coverage of the ten guilds and make a small set reasonably draftable with help from the two big sets. There is nothing wrong with having five theme decks that are shards, even the non-shards (ceta and so on). The latter theme would go well with "the guilds are unhappy" theme. I know it would make draft suck, but I am really hoping for "all multicolored" like Alara Reborn. Maybe there is hindrance for play, but flavor-wise, I really like Alara Reborn.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

What if Dragon's Maze intro packs are mono colored?  Who am I kidding, they never do mono colored intro packs.  It seems like they always do 2 color intro packs...

m13 intro packs

I think I trust someone who has bought all 5 of these than someone who looked it up in the internet.  These were never mono colored.

Populate is a reasonable alternative to card draw
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Nope. Odric's deck is white/blue, Talrand's is blue/red, Nefarox's is black/white, Krenko's red/green, and Yeva's green/black.

[<o>]

I'm going to stop you right here.  First of all, Simic isn't white, secondary or other.  Second--and most importantly--of all, the colors aren't templated that way because one is primary and one is secondary, they are templated that way because of how they fall on the color pie.  It is in no way an indication of primary or secondary colors.

The five colors of Magic are most often arranged in the following order: .  Two colors that are right next to each other are called allied colors, and two colors that are separated by a color in the middle are enemy colors.  They follow this pattern when they make multicolored cards.  For example, cards that share two allied colors have their colors arranged based on this.  All white and blue cards are ordered white first, then blue.  Same down the line, which makes the pairs always look like this: , , , , and they finish the circle with .  When it comes to enemy colors, they decided to start with one color and skip one in the pattern to go to the next one, which is why Orsohv is (skipping blue) and not , because then they'd skip two colors in the middle (red and green).  Therefore, all enemy colored pairs look like this: ,

I'm going to stop you right there. and aren't enemy color pairs.

I would like to see legendary Nephilim and the guilds pairing up and wedges showing up somewhere as they navigate Niv's dragon maze...

3DH4LIF3

I'm pretty sure they mistook B for Blue rather than Black and forgot in that instance to use U instead. It happens.

The intro packs are an interesting point. Obviously they don't want to show favoritism towards certain guilds but they aren't going to want to release 10 different intro decks either, especially since DGM will be adding fewer cards than RTR and GTC. Tricolor decks don't seem like an unreasonable option but neither do monocolor decks that use all four keywords from guilds of a shared color. They could even do five four color decks...do you think that could be it? But that seems needlessly complex for intro packs.

In the case of a tricolor deck, assuming they want to follow the "2 rares per pack" rule, only two out of three possible guilds in a trio will be represented, likely the two with greatest synergy. For example, a deck would most likely use Selesnya + Simic as their respective mechanics work much better together than either one does with Detain. Following the block's trend of asymmetric color duos, some of the tricolor decks could be arc and some could be wedge. Each deck would represent one of the five colors, likely one shared between the deck's two represented guilds. The combinations should make sense from a flavor perspective as well as mechanical, like a Boros + Izzet deck based on the Warmind Initiative.

simic + selesnya: simic is getting a lot of ooze token love that would be awesome to populate. plus populating a giant every turn should buff ALL of your evolve

-----

boros + gruul: both very aggresive decks, gruul's bigger creatures could give boros a chance late game, bloodrush helps assure some of your attackers will survive combat

-or-

boros  + azorious: detain makes hitting your opponent easier, azorious control helps boros maintain the battlefield

-----

orzhov + dimir: cipher and extort work surprisingly well together- cast free spells and extort them for essentially free life. some of the cheaper orzhov creatrues will help you survive the early game, and as soon as you can start ciphering, extort will make up for the lifeloss. i would avoid milling strategies with this guild combo 

-or-

orzhov + rakdos: a lot of cards from both of these guilds just combo well together. Rakdos has a heavy focus on damage to the opponent, and bleeding could be just what rakdos needs. there are a few discard cards in orzhovs colors that work well with those of rakdos (mind rot, skull rend, shrieking affliction), and the rix maadi guildmage has been waiting for extort this whole time. you wouldn't even need to attack your opponent to kill them

----- 

golgari and izzet are just those off guilds that dont combo teriibly well a majority of the other guild strategies

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
When it comes to enemy colors, they decided to start with one color and skip one in the pattern to go to the next one, which is why Orsohv is (skipping blue) and not , because then they'd skip two colors in the middle (red and green).  Therefore, all enemy colored pairs look like this: ,

I'm going to stop you right there. and aren't enemy color pairs.

I'm pretty sure they mistook B for Blue rather than Black and forgot in that instance to use U instead. It happens.

This.

I caught my mistake while reading through this thread again, and I went back and fixed my original post.  Thanks, though.

Rules Advisor

If they aren't doing 10 intro packs, then my guess is that we get either the 5 color wedges, or the 5 color shards. The wedges do not make very much sense flavor-wise, so I won't talk about it, but to me, the shards do.
The story could follow that conspiracy that the guilds will fall, and the colors in each shard band together to survive. This could explain why they could go with shards.

Disclaimer: I do not actually hope that this happens. I would be more than ok with 5 mono-colors decks, or 1 for each guild, however unlikely that it would happen.

And all will know the wonder of my dark and jeweled sky, when all the world is wrapped in an eternal lullaby.

Something happens and the guilds DNA digivolve.  Haha, lol... what?

Ok, for the intro packs, the reason why I speculated mono color decks for dragon's maze, because of the way intro packs are made.

They have one primary color and a secondary color.  The primary color is the color that the intro pack foil is.  RTR and GTC do not have a mono colored intro pack foils, but have a multicolored one, but the intro pack packaging is still color coded, so something like Izzet Ingenuity is Blue primary and Red secondary because it uses blue cardboard for the packaging.

So with 10 intro packs, they used every single color combination, without looking at primary and secondary colors.  Mono color decks have both the same primary and secondary colors.  Every set makes sure that every color is represented once as a primary color, and represented once as a secondary color, so if we have 5 mono colored intro packs, it would go:

Ww
Uu
Bb
Rr
Gg

We have Wu Wb Rw and Gw, so it is about time they completed it with a Ww.   Same with the other colors.

What I do hope is that they don't do 10 separate intro packs, one per guild.  It would be totally redundant, and I would rather have 5 of something different.
Just in terms of mechanics and flavor, I would guess Simic and Golgari would make a nice pairing.

Rakdos and Dimir might work -- the latter manipulating the former as a distraction and aggressive tactic.

I've seen at least one card mentioning Boros and Izzet, so I'll guess them.

Azorius and Orzhov then.

And Gruul and Selsnya is left over.

Boros and Izzet are linked in the flavour text of Spark Trooper.
Boros and Azorius are linked in the flavour text of Quidditch Skygames and Nav Squad Commandos.
Orzhov and Simic are linked in the flavour text of Miming Slime.
Izzet and Selesnya are linked in the flavour text of Shielded Passage.
Orzhov and Dimir are linked in the flavour text of Urbis Protector.

The Dimir and Izzet are clearly against each other in the flavour text of Psychic Strike.
And the Gruul just hate everyone. It's on every second Gruul card (especially Gruul Charm).

~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
If they aren't doing 10 intro packs, then my guess is that we get either the 5 color wedges, or the 5 color shards. The wedges do not make very much sense flavor-wise, so I won't talk about it, but to me, the shards do.
The story could follow that conspiracy that the guilds will fall, and the colors in each shard band together to survive. This could explain why they could go with shards.

Disclaimer: I do not actually hope that this happens. I would be more than ok with 5 mono-colors decks, or 1 for each guild, however unlikely that it would happen.

Certain wedges would make sense. Boros + Izzet has precedence in the Warmind Initiative, and it wouldn't be a stretch to picture the Azorius working alongside the Boros if the situation called for it. Azorius also think of Izzet as nonmalicious and even see them as an extension of the Lyev Column, indicating that these three guilds could easily work together.

Simic's profile states that if Golgari desired allies, they would be their closest which is strangely heartwarming coming from what looks like the coldest guild. Dimir has also shown an interest in Simic's operations though the Simic regard them with disdain. Golgari displays dislike for both Simic and Dimir and in Dimir's case the sentiment is mutual. That didn't stop them from working together before, of course. So, a wedge also seems possible.

White wedge is unlikely to happen, at least with Rakdos, as few other guilds want anything to do with them, even other black guilds. Boros especially dislikes them given their zealous sense of justice and don't think highly of Orzhov either.

Black wedge also seems unlikely given each constituent guild's attitudes towards the others: Selesnya might just be the most prejudicial of the ten and certainly don't like the Golgari's mucking about with dirt and death. Golgari understands Selesnya's appreciation of nature but feels they are helpless in the face of death and see Orzhov as defying the cycle of life and death. Orzhov see the Golgari as filthy inferiors and feel Selesnya would sacrifice wealth on the altar of nature. So, not a lot of compulsion for cooperation here.

Gruul dislikes almost every guild except Boros, whom they respect, so them working with Izzet and Simic in  is unlikely.

I'd like non-overlaping alliances.

G/U+R/B

W/B+R/G

U/R+G/W    

B/G+W/U     

R/W+U/B

Not sure how the lore would play out...    
Perhaps there is something that will happen in the story that will create a restructuring/destruction of guilds, making five remaining that are either more powerful than before but still two-colored, or perhaps larger and more diverse by adding color. Or perhaps the whole system breaks down as the anarchist-type Gateless seem to desire, and then the mono-colors will be important again. It could be interesting.

As for my previous post back on page one: I wasn't certain if the term "champion" referred to the "leader" or what. I guess that makes sense though, having a second fiddle; I wasn't aware of any such characters myself. Works for me though!
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.
Lets see.... The first set, there were some monsters that gain abilities if there are gates (guilds). In the second, they will get power power based on how many there are. I postulate in the third they will get power by destroying these gates. I believe that the guilds will get their champions, but for the most part the set will focus on the gateless.  As such, most cards will be monocolored.

If so and the set is mostly monocolored, and the gateless start destroying gates, I can see them making monocolored gates that have some sort of effect when destroyed.

Story wise, the cards will focus on what exactly Niv Mizzet wants with the maze. I don't always keep up with the story, but I bet Nichol Bolas will be behind it.
I think all the wedges can be reasonable... Heck I think some of the new commanders could even make decent reprints...

So its Boros and Orzhov or Rakdos and Orzhov or Boros and Rakdos. I see Boros and Orzhov as reasonable. or Rakdos and Orzhov. Tariel, Reckoner of Souls would be a hot boros orzhov reprint.

Simic + Gruul, Simic + Izzet, or Gruul + Izzet... I can really envision Simic and Izzet working together to come up with Animar, Soul of Elements

Golgari and Orzhov, Golgari and Selesnya, or Selesnya and Orzhov... Ghave seems right for Golgari and Selesnya. Karador for Orzhov and Golgari.

seems like an obvious boros and Azorius combo, though none of the commanders really fit. I guess Ruhan of the Fomori or Zedruu the Greathearted.

So Simic and Golgari, Simic and Dimir, or Dimir and Golgari... Simic and Golgari would be fit for a reprint of The Mimeoplasm.

Really I just want to build an Animar deck for standard...

3DH4LIF3

I'm actually really curious to how they're gonna organize the Intro Packs.
We will likely see three-colour pairings, especially since they have not really been done in Alara, which focused on allied colour pairings, so a real three-way-enemies has not been seen since Invasion iirc.

That would also allow them to field cards that fit into more than one guild pairing at a time, for the sake of limited. Having a green card that could go into selesnya, but also into golgari for instance. Thunderscape battlemage is both rakdos and gruul in terms of drafting.

Probably we will see Ral Zarek as planeswalker, since he showed up in the art for Homing lightning, which then raises the question of what the Izzet are really up to. We also know that Jace is looking for something in the maze, so maybe a higher focus on artifacts (lets go look for treasure!) or even the return of traps inside the maze?
Guild unions are the new Niv-Mizzet, Planeswalker.

It's not happening - even based on what we already know, the set is not going to be about triples. We already know the Guild champions are all getting printed in this set. The guilds are all being represented; it doesn't say "the colours are getting represented". The story clearly shows a rise of the unguilded to fight all the guilds.

Given this mono-versus-multi theme they're building, there's not enough room in the small set to print a bunch of new triplet guilds.
Guild unions are the new Niv-Mizzet, Planeswalker. It's not happening - even based on what we already know, the set is not going to be about triples. We already know the Guild champions are all getting printed in this set. The guilds are all being represented; it doesn't say "the colours are getting represented". The story clearly shows a rise of the unguilded to fight all the guilds. Given this mono-versus-multi theme they're building, there's not enough room in the small set to print a bunch of new triplet guilds.

What do you think the intro packs are going to be for Dragon's Maze?  It is obvious that the entire set doesn't revolve aroudn the number 5, like RTR and GTC are, but the intro packs always revolve around 5, or any number around it, such as 4 or 6.

I have my own theories about the intro packs, but as an intro pack collector, here is what would make me angry.

If Dragon's Maze had no intro packs, because they couldn't figure out how to fit 5 of something into 10 of something.

Or

If they have 10 intro packs, because I think having 10 intro packs in a set is dumb.

We already have the guilds featured in RTR and GTC, so I think that the intro packs this time should be the unafiliated, or mono color intro packs.

Let's say that the Dragon's Maze intro packs are 2 color, because it seems that since the rise of event decks, WOTC hasn't done any non 2 color intro packs, how would you do the 5 dragon's maze intro packs?  The colors must be so that each color is represented in only 2 intro packs.
MaRo supposedly said they're planning a Wedge block, so dedicated wedge is likely out for DGM.

The Starter decks featuring two guilds each sounds plausible, however. They simply have to choose one rare for each from DGM and support all three colors, emphasizing the shared color between the two guilds. Like, if they make a RWU Boros + Izzet deck, they'll want to focus on the red moreso than the white or blue. All that's left is figuring out which two guilds compliment each other best mechanically. My guesses:

Azorius + Orzhov = Political Parasites
Dimir + Izzet = Arcane Expertise
Rakdos + Golgari = Scavengers Unleashed
Gruul + Boros = Reckless Rush
Selesnya + Simic = Unbound Growth

So, I guess I'm seeing arc decks happening.

I think DGM will be Monocolored Unguilded vs. Multicolored Guilded. Gatecrash had tons of cards talking about the unguilded rebelling.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Classic.

My post was a quasi-satirical commentary on the ubiquitous nature of egocentricism and its subtextual role in the social dynamic of the internet.

I think the guilds will completely dissolve in a massive war/riot ignited by the destruction caused by the Izzet's grand experiment. It seems to me the gateless/guildless are represented in more cards and flavor text in Gatecrash than they were in RTR. I think this is a trend much like the one from SoM block where you could see the Phyrexians represented in more and more cards as the block progressed. As the Izzets experiment wreaks havoc over Ravnica in DGM the gateless finally realize they are not being protected by the guilds and rise up in unison. The guilds in turn all band together in a 5 color juggernaut to protect their shared way of life. However now that the single colored gateless have risen together they too are a five color juggernaut of a different nature but equal power. One side is all multi colored one side is all single colored.

As for the guild pack I have no idea what they would do. Maybe just ditch them all together and play a regular sealed pool. Maybe have only two faction packs, the gateless and the guilded. Both would be 5 color as the gateless are single color cards but include all the gateless and the guilded are all multi color cards but the guilds have all banded together against the gateless uprising to preserve their way of life. You basically choose if you want to play mono or multi color cards by choosing you faction. 
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
I quit Magic FOREVER when they released the double-sided cards in Innistrad.

(...Luckily, forever wasn't a very long time...)

If they did that, I'd quit forever and ever and ever and EVER.
(Roughly half a year to nine months.)

They made a card for people like you.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

While the Guildless's anger and rebellion towards the guilds is a subplot, I don't want DGM to be all about hating on the guilds, the guilds being destroyed, etc. They are the heart and soul of Ravnica just as artifacts are for Mirrodin and ugly, creepy vampires and zombies are for Innistrad; are the Guildless honestly as interesting as the guilds themselves? Yes, Wizards does like to shake up the status quo but only if it makes the game interesting. Yes, the minifactions can be interesting but should not be allowed to eclipse the guilds. And yes, monocolor should always have a place in any given block but multicolor needs love too. DGM to me should build a little bit on each guild as we assume it will based on the presence of all ten guilds, like for example giving us an Overload spell that burns opponents rather than creatures (Izzet could have used that in RTR) or maybe a Wee Dragonauts reprint to make UR players just a bit happier.

I have another hypothesis on how the intro decks could work: Rather than release ten full-sized intro decks, each guild gets a 30-card half deck meant to be combined with another guild's half deck and shared-color pairs such as Boros and Izzet will be packaged together. Each half deck includes a rare card from that guild. But perhaps rather than print individual packages for each possible pair of guilds, five pairs will be packaged and the half decks will be structured so as to be compatible with each other half deck belonging to a shared-color guild. So for example, though Boros and Izzet may be packaged together, the Boros half will also be compatible with Gruul, Rakdos, Azorius, Orzhov, and Selesnya while the Izzet half will be compatible with Rakdos, Gruul, Dimir, Simic, and Azorius.

Sign In to post comments