is Otto's Irresistible Dance the wrong spell level?

dancers,

I'm going over Otto's Irressistable Dance, and its an 8th level spell.  From what I can tell it effects 1 creature and forces it to dance.   Hold Person, which is a  2nd level spell seems more terrible... it completely paralyzes the target.   How can we justify it being a level 8 spell?
Assuming it survives the encounter, the ridicule the target gets from its peers is a form of torture.
Take OID.

+  Caltrops.

=   Hilarity justifying an 8th lvl spell.

In all seriousness though?

This only shows how crazy-strong Hold Person is at the moment, because I can see players using OID as written at lvl 8 and you are right about Hold being better at the moment.       
Assuming it survives the encounter, the ridicule the target gets from its peers is a form of torture.

The true name version lasting for 10 days is a form of torture.  They literally dance until they die.  It's spells like this that should make people fear spellcasters and make such acts a crime against humanity.  The standard concentration version, however, seems like it's too high of a level, yes.

I think we're overlooking the utility of OID.

Think of all those socially awkward Wizards who can cast this on themsleves, or on one another, so they can pull the ladies at the local? 
cwazy!   Thanks for the replies.    Maybe it would be better as a 1rst level spell?
Traditionally, Otto's Irresistible Dance has been scary because it's irresistible - no save allowed. It looks like one of the designers didn't get that note.

The metagame is not the game.

Make hold person the reverse of sanctuary. If anyone harms you it breaks.
then oid will be powerfull again and hold person less silly
Make hold person the reverse of sanctuary. If anyone harms you it breaks.
then oid will be powerfull again and hold person less silly

Definately think auto-break for HP is a good idea.

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
This spell needed to be totally nerfed as it should have been a 10th level spell or more in the old versions.

Otto's joke has some advantages over Hold Person.
- not limited to humanoid.
- not wasted if first resisted
- doesn't allow mental actions
- inflicts disadvantage on all saving throws, including the save to break the spell.

This spell is more powerful than Hold Person, but paralysis is a too strong debuff for a second level spell.
The save DC of hold person doesn't favor physical profiles, and the result negates two physical saving throws options. It's like a spell vs. Strength that would immobilize and impose that Widom and Charisma saves automatically fail.
Targetting weak points to break strong points should come from high level spells.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

This spell needed to be totally nerfed as it should have been a 10th level spell or more in the old versions.

- inflicts disadvantage on all saving throws, including the save to break the spell.

This spell is more powerful than Hold Person, but paralysis is a too strong debuff for a second level spell.
The save DC of hold person doesn't favor physical profiles, and the result negates two physical saving throws options. It's like a spell vs. Strength that would immobilize and impose that Widom and Charisma saves automatically fail.
Targetting weak points to break strong points should come from high level spells.

10th level?   Nah.. Not with Wish as 9th. And other power spells such as Prismatic Sphere, Cacodemon, Gate, Monster Summoning IX etc existing.

10th level?   Nah.. Not with Wish as 9th. And other power spells such as Prismatic Sphere, Cacodemon, Gate, Monster Summoning IX etc existing.

It was a simple touch attack, and then the target was unable to save against anything.
There were ways to turn touch attacks into ranged attacks too.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

It was a simple touch attack, and then the target was unable to save against anything.
There were ways to turn touch attacks into ranged attacks too.

A simple touch attack was not so simple in 1st ed. 
Sign In to post comments