Vraska the unseen

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have 2 questions about this card. 

the first ability is--(+1 loyalty points- until your next turn, whenever a creature deals combat damage to Vraska the Unseen, destroy that creature.

Can you cast that as an instant???

The second question is about the last ability. ---(-7 loyality points- put three 1/1 black assasin creature tokens on the battlefield with, whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player loses the game.

Does that include damage to creatures that oponent controls? 
Loyalty abilities are used at "sorcery timing"
they are not sorceries (or any kind of spell) but activated abilities

no, creatures are not players
proud member of the 2011 community team
so as a "sorcery timing" it can be cast at any time similiar to an "instant"?
sorcery timing= during your main phase when the stack is empty and you have priority.

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

so as a "sorcery timing" it can be cast at any time similiar to an "instant"?

No.

As warghoul says: sorcery timing= during your main phase when the stack is empty and you have priority.

And I add: instant timing = whenever you have priority

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

the first ability is--(+1 loyalty points-

This wording makes me wonder... you do know about Loyalty counters, do you?

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

well kinda...idk this is my first planeswalker. loyalty counters is the number in bottom right counter. the abilities use or gain you loyalty points. if your run out of loyalty points your planeswalker dies...Right?

that makes me think of another question. if a player attacks a planeswalker does it lose loyalty counters ? 
You add or remove loyalty counters when you activate a loyalty ability. A planeswalker usually enters the battlefield with a number of loyalty counters equal to the number in the lower right corner.

Any damage dealt to a planeswalker causes that many loyalty counters to be removed from him/her.
well kinda...idk this is my first planeswalker. loyalty counters is the number in bottom right counter. the abilities use or gain you loyalty points.

Not quite.

The number at the bottom says how many counters the planeswalker starts with. As Vraska enters the battlefield, you put 5 counters on her.

Once in your turn, in the main phase, you can activate a single ability of the planeswalker. The cost is to add or remove loyalty counters. For the "minu" abilities, you need to have enough counters on the planeswalker already.

So to activate Vraska's first ability, you add a counter to her. To activate the third ability, you need to remove 7 counters from her (so you need to have 7 or more already on her to do so).

if your run out of loyalty points your planeswalker dies...Right?

If the planeswalker reaches 0 counters, it goes to the graveyard (the word "dies" is used only for creatures).

that makes me think of another question. if a player attacks a planeswalker does it lose loyalty counters ?

Damage dealt to a planeswalker removes that much loyalty counters from it, yes.

[<o>]
The abilities of Planeswalkers are a type of Activated Ability called "Loyalty Abilities" - they require the addition or subtraction of the specified # of Loyalty Counters (some abilities don't require any change in Loyalty and have a cost of 0)

Loyalty abilities can only be used if:

-It's your main phase
-The stack is currently empty
-and you haven't used an ability of that particular Planeswalker yet this turn 

Planeswalkers can be attacked like you can be. The attacking player declares for each attacker that it's either attacking you or a planeswalker you control. Any damage dealt to a Planeswalker results in that many Loyalty Counters being removed from that PW.

Planeswalkers cannot be directly targeted by anything that says "target player" or "target opponent", but it is possible to re-direct NON-combat damage that would be dealt to an opposing player, to a Planeswalker that player controls.

For example: If you have Vraska out, I can target you with Lightning Bolt and if it resolves, I can re-direct all or none of that damage to Vraska. And this decision does not have to be announced until the spell or ability dealing the damage resolves, and there's no chance to respond after that spell or ability resolves. But I can't target Vraska directly with the Bolt, nor can I say "2 of it to Vraska and 1 to you" - it's all or nothing.

Hope that clears up exactly how Planeswalkers work! I know it's a bit more than you asked about but I've found that when I start explaining Planeswalkers to newer players that I usually end up explaining a lot more :p   (maybe it's a "me" problem... lol) 

Sean Stackhouse Level Two Judge (Yay!) Maine

vraska the unseen  can i choose to take damage if a planeswalker is targeted instead of blocking with it
If a planeswalker is attacked, it will be dealt combat damage by any attackers that somehow get combat damage through. You have no choice in the matter. Nor can you make the planeswalker take combat damage instead of you if you're attacked.
vraska the unseen  can i choose to take damage if a planeswalker is targeted instead of blocking with it

no, also planeswalkers can't normally block because they aren't creatures

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Unfortunately you don't get to choose - your opponent decides whether or not a creature is attacking you or Vraska. And with non-combat damage, the opponent decides as the spell resolves whether or not you or Vraska will take the damage. Planeswalkers can be distractions, but they are not damage shields.

One last note, you can't re-direct damage from a source you control to your own PW either. They're not Earthquake shields.

It might feel like there's a lot to learn with 'walkers, but once you get the basics down they're pretty simple and a lot of fun to wreck your opponents with.   

can you use your creatures to block for a planeswalker?

can you use your creatures to block for a planeswalker?

Yes, you can.

[<o>]
Yes.

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Planeswalkers cannot be directly targeted by anything that says "target player" or "target opponent", but it is possible to re-direct NON-combat damage that would be dealt to an opposing player, to a Planeswalker that player controls.

Are you saying if I cast Lava Axe. I can't target a Planewalker? 
Lava Axe deals 5 damage to target player.

Correct. You cannot target a planeswalker with Lava Axe. However, you can target its controller, and then redirect the damage as Lava Axe resolves.

The upside is your opponent never gets to know what you intend to damage.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Player =/= Planeswalker (permanent)

Compare with Dreadbore.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Technically? No, you cannot target a planeswalker with Lava Axe.

In actual tournament play? Yes, you can declare a planeswalker as the target of Lava Axe, as doing so is one of the conventional shortcuts covered in the TR:

A player who chooses a planeswalker as the target of a spell or ability that would deal damage is
assumed to be targeting the planeswalker’s controller and redirecting the damage on resolution. The
player must adhere to that choice unless an opponent responds.

The spell does not actually ever target the planeswalker, and you're giving away free information about your intent to your opponent, but saying "Lava Axe targeting Jace" is allowed in sanctioned play.