Psychographics in D&D

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are there Psychgraphics in D&D like in Magic ? (timmy, johnny, spike)
If so what are they?
Been dealling with a difficult character in several campaigns, same player.
Maybe he is looking for a different experence then i am.
"Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Munchkins, and Loonies" comes close. 

The broad strokes of Timmy, Johnny, and Spike (Plays to experience something, playes to express something, plays to win) are also there: though the very nature of an RPG means that "Timmy" encompases everyone by that definition.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Well i'd love to hear you define "Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Munchkins, and Loonies"
As I said I above I am trying to understand my fellow players better. So anything would help.

There's a section in the DMG that describes the different basic types of players - the watchers, instigators, actors, etc... There's basically five or six basic motivations for playing, and most players fall into one or two of those categories.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Yeah, DMG actually give you some guidance and advice with diferent kind of players...wish is nice
which DMG?
the Dungeon Master Guide 1 from 4th edition D&D
Well i'd love to hear you define "Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Munchkins, and Loonies"
As I said I above I am trying to understand my fellow players better. So anything would help.

Famously Found Here.

The "Real Men" enjoy combat, hard-fought glory, and the like.  They're playing fo an exciting, visceral experience.

The "Real Roleplayers" enjoy interaction and getting into character most.  Similar to "Vorthos", they play for immersion primarily.

The "Loonies" are the sorts that just want to have fun.  Usually, quite silly fun rather than fun derived from adrenaline or drama.  Effectivley, they're playing to laugh.

The "Munchkins" are the sort who want power, and more power.  Unlike "Real Men", they don't want challenge and excitement, they want to "Win."

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

thanks Tevish_Szat

oh here is a site showing the ones from the book: