money cards of gatecrash

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
what cards do you think will have the highest value and hold value
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Shocks and Planeswalkers.  Most of the rest of the set is in the realm of EDH/Casual staple, which in an oddly anti-Adam-Smith turn of events seems to drive avaliability but not prices (Case and point: Lyzolda, the Blood Witch is a very popular commander.  Online sites price her at under a dollar, but never have any in stock)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

EDH does drive up the price of foils though.  Example.  Hanna, Ship's Navigator is a $5 card, due in part to that she's so old and hard to come across.  She's also a fiarly popular EDH staple and her foil is $50 on StarCity.  My LGS sold a foil Hanna the same day they got it in, at that same price.  Lyzolda is an $8 foil.  EDH can and does affect the market, but when people are only buying a single copy at a time, and it's never "urgent" they just move much more slowly.  The EDH staples from this set appear to be the commander options and Thespian's Stage.

Also, I'd hang onto Legion Loyalist, just in case he makes his way into any Legacy or Modern Goblin builds. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Fury and Ghost Council are money the mythics and shocklands are the money rares that's about it in terms of value.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Whispering Madness will probably go up and Master Biomancer is a good one.

EDIT: Big Bob Might see some big prices.
I am Blue/Black
Master Biomancer is a good one.

Considering that you either buy 0 or 4 of him, I too think he will be an expensive card.

EDIT: Ignore this, I mistook it for Biovisionary

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
I already said the biomancer makes your creatures big
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Shocks and Planeswalkers.

I don't see Gideon or Domri being more than 10 bucks after a month of post GTC. Domri was falling steadily while still preorder, and Gideon...well I just don't see him as being all that amazing.

I hope I pull a Biomancer.. so good.
I am pretty sure Reckoner will skyrocket in a month or so.

Only if people continue to be idiots.  What made Bob good was that he was cheap to cast and was one sided.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

big bob has evasion and staying power if hell bent gets locked out

the blue black card sort and draw for 2 wizard
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Prime Speaker? Seems good curving out after Swagtusk.

Only if people continue to be idiots.  What made Bob good was that he was cheap to cast and was one sided.

Big Bob is different, and serves a different purpose. Also can be a killer with Dimir Charm.
I am Blue/Black

It happened, now at $10. I was planning on preordering them today....
Don't really like the reckoner. He seems like his abilities contradict each other. I know it's supposed to seem like an either/or kinda thing, but anti synergy within the same permanent doesn't seem so great to me.
I am Blue/Black
Don't really like the reckoner. He seems like his abilities contradict each other. I know it's supposed to seem like an either/or kinda thing, but anti synergy within the same permanent doesn't seem so great to me.

It's not so much anti-synergy, it's just a really awesome choice.  He fills the horribly vacant 3 drop slot in RDW, and he does so extremely well.  First Strike can clear away blockers/attackers, and his burn ability is insane.    

Joke's on you my friend, I got a playset for 18$.

Joke's on you my friend, I got a playset for $12. 

If you play standard at all in the coming weeks you'll come to hate it. Don't knock it until you play it. 

Joke's on you my friend, I got a playset for $12. 

...at least I got one in my Boros Prerelease pack.......
Boros Reckoner is absolutely bonkers.
Why did they forget to add the "your opponents control" clause??
Another reason I can't wait for innistrad to rotate. (Blasphemous Act)

Blind Obedience
3-4 of in all control decks.
All of them.
ALL.
OF.
THEM.

Big Bob is functionally similar to Bloodgift Demon, except a double sided sword versus aggro, burn, control...
Hell -- GIVING them Thragtusk for 5 life??
Better in Modern and EDH than standard, for sure.

Eh...
Spark Trooper + Silverblade "Should've Been Red And Costed 2 More" Paladin = flipped tables.
Heck, even Boros Charm makes this a game ender.
Add green for Rancor, for a 8 lifeswing burn spell.
However, it is -- like everything else -- countered by white; Blind Obedience.
Not playing white in this current standard is almost as bad as playing monoblack.
Boros Reckoner is absolutely bonkers.
Why did they forget to add the "your opponents control" clause??
Another reason I can't wait for innistrad to rotate. (Blasphemous Act)

Because playing a bad card and then 2 for 1ing yourself isn't good? I mean, you do 13 damage but you could also just play good cards instead of a most of the time uncastable sweeper. Sure, it might be good because we don't know what the meta is like but at least give it some time. A lot of the time we judge cards in a vacuum which is okay to some extent but we need to know what context the cards will operate in to really know. 
Blasphemous Act has never been unplayable in my Stuffy Doll deck.
It's a fancy way to deal 13 damage on turn 4.
Now even without ramp.
Blasphemous Act has never been unplayable in my Stuffy Doll deck.
It's a fancy way to deal 13 damage on turn 4.
Now even without ramp.

For casual standard, sure. But in a competitive scope it isn't good or rather hasn't been good yet. The problem with the card isn't that you can target it yourself. The power level of the card is clearly pushed and I don't think it's to the point of a problem creature but it's definitely one of the more powerful creatures they've printed for three. 
Boros Reckoner is now £18 ($25+).

Now many people predicted it would be a chase card. But I find it hard to see it being worth that much money. Seems like a bit of greedy profit-taking.
Boros Reckoner is now £18 ($25+).

Now many people predicted it would be a chase card. But I find it hard to see it being worth that much money. Seems like a bit of greedy profit-taking.

Supply and demand.  Can't really be labeled greed if people are willing to pay that price for them.

Just at my last FNM, I had no fewer than 7 people who saw me playing with reckoners that wanted to trade for them or straight up buy them.  Pretty sure the StarCity open in Atlanta saw the vendors all selling out of them immediately.  From a business standpoint, it would be sort of silly to sell them at $8-$10 apiece of they can easily fetch more than that.  If people stop buying them at ~$18 then the price will go down.

Can't really be labeled greed if people are willing to pay that price for them.

Couldn't disagree more ;)

A non-exhaustive list of people of who charge extortionate amounts for goods and services and find that people are "willing" to pay that price include oil companies, professional footballers and bankers. Demand surely doesn't obviate the greed.

Anyway, I do agree that the price might go down and once the hysteria subsides.
You can't label it greed, period. What if the person selling them for $18 had a kid with cancer and needed to pay for a 10k chemo treatment? What if 1000 other scenarios are playing out in his/her personal life that you are not aware of? Judge not. Unless of course you got 12 Reckoners for $36 like I did. I judge that a great deal!
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
That's good for 500% profit atm.  How long will you hold out?
These are currently the most valuable cards of the set according to StarCityGames. It appears Aurelia, the Warleader and Domri Rade are the two top money cards of the set right now.

My bro traded a Prime Speaker Zegana we pulled in our Simic box for a foil Boros Reckoner for me as well as Signal the Clans. I appreciate it, but find myself questioning which I'd rather have, since not every box contains a copy of that guild's leader and I was hoping to collect at least one of each leader for Commander decks, but I also know the value of a Boros Reckoner, especially foil, and he traded for it for me since I mentioned it being one of the GTC cards I anticipated most.

Hah.
4 out of top 6 are boros, and the last two splashable by boros.

Well boros is quite popular and creates a high demand.
It's not necessary indicator of powerlevel - Gideon is up there too and the usefulness of his new card is quite ... limited to put it gently.

These are currently the most valuable cards of the set according to StarCityGames. It appears Aurelia, the Warleader and Domri Rade are the two top money cards of the set right now.

I think starcitygames is a little out of sync with much of the rest of the cardselling world.  Via tcgplayer and its network of sellers, Boros Reckoner is a clear #1, followed by Domri Rade and Aurelia, the Warleader.
until card use tournement play it is hard to tell the prices
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
reckoner is obviously good.  as the set just came out, there are relatively few copies of it available as yet.  people who need it for the decks they want to play have to pay whatever it costs to get copies.  simple as that.

so i wouldn't assume current prices will hold for it, but people sometimes seem to forget that some people buy cards because they want to use them, not because they see them as a good financial investment.  that said, reckoner is basically the only card worth buying gatecrash packs for, and if sales aren't great, supply might never be very good. 
I think Domri is pretty overrated. Yeah he's fairly costed but his card advantage engine is inconsistant, and fight is really not that great for removal, and you will never use his ultimate in a competitive game.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
I think Domri is pretty overrated. Yeah he's fairly costed but his card advantage engine is inconsistant, and fight is really not that great for removal, and you will never use his ultimate in a competitive game.

I beg to differ on all fronts.

He's pretty underrated by most people I've spoken to.  His card advantage engine is pretty consistent if you build your deck to fit him, much like Augur of Bolas needing a certain threshold of spells to hit consistently.

His fight is anywhere from decent to insane, especially with Boros Reckoner.  When you're running 4/4s (or these 4/4s), Restoration Angel, etc., it's pretty useful.

I've been busy with a lot of stuff since December and this past friday was my first time playing since then and my first time using any of the new cards.  Got emblem on Domri three times; once against Esper Control (something like a 71/75 card match to the deck that took 2nd place at Edison), once against the relative Naya mirror, and once against a BW homebrew deck (bad deck and pretty bad player, just including for the sake of being complete).

Against control he's basically a free win.  And if you get in a matchup that's an uncomfortable spot for him (boros/rakdos/monored aggro variants) you can always side him out.
reckoner is obviously good.

Reckoner is basically how you kill Thragtusk, theoretically. All you need is an Inquisitor's Flail, which also synergizes with first strike in a pinch. And the curve is perfect. Seriously.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
My bro just pointed out that the Reckoner can defeat any of the Guild Leaders single-handedly.

Sign In to post comments