This is a Contest: Card the Names 13: Birds

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is another contest. The rules are simple.
Choose one of the following names:

This contest will last for 24hrs or until 10 people enter. I will give considerations if it appears you have been ninja'd.

Now make a card to fit to fit the chosen name.
You will be judged on card quality and how well your card fits the name. Interpret the names however you want (even Un cards) but it has to make sense and the card design has to be able to stand on its own. Convince me that if your card were handed of to me in a design file I would choose the name you created it to match.

Today's Theme, Birds as chosen by AzureShade
The Names:

• Avianize

• Diving Peregrine

• Fly South

• Red-Winged Bluebird

But wait... YOU COULD WIN FABULOUS PRIZES!1!1!
The winner chooses the theme for the next set of names (try to keep it somewhat vague please) and I'll make up their card complete with art in MSE! WOW!

Alright, let's go!
I figured I should keep track of previous contests somewhere. May as well be here.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

1. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Sebanovich

2. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by Jessica_Morgan

3. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Music theme, won by AzureShade

4. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Flightless Birds theme, won by SleetFox

5. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Science, won by Dudibus

6. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Evolution & Adages, won by Edacade

7. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Time, won by rabble527

8. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - No theme, won by 3-7-15-1-292

9. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... - Apostrophes, won by FirstTurnKill

10. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -Time, won by Taramoor

11. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -Luck, won by FirstTurnKill

12. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... -War, won by AzureShade

13. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... That's today dummy.

Fly South 1(w/u)
Instant
Exile target creature you control attached to a land you control. That land gains "T: return the attached creature to the battlefield"
/everyone needs a vacation sometimes/

I will probably change this when I think of something more turnip_songy.
Red-Winged Bluebird |
Creature -- Bird (R)
Flash
Flying
When Red-Winged Bluebird enters the battlefield, you may copy target instant or sorcery spell.  You may choose new targets for the copy.
Evoke
Highly prized by the nobility, each song is always unique.
2/2

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Avianize 
Instant

Counter target spell.  Its controller puts two 1/1 white Bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.

A tawdry magician can turn a handkerchief into a dove.  A true sorcerer can make anything fly away.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Avianize
Enchantment - Aura (Common)

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature is a 1/2 blue Bird creature with flying.

For all the times the storm crows are too high to read.
Avianize
Instant
Creatures you control have flying until end of turn. Prevent all damage dealt by creatures with flying until end of turn.
The transformation was a little hard...
[*c]Island[*/c] minus the * = Island Really. You need to know this.
Also
We are the Izzet Some think we are scattered after the disappearance of Niv-Mizzet He is connected to us by the firemind He has formulated a master plan Before, we were just experimenters, looked down upon Now we have a greater purpose This bit is random And so is this Yeah
New entry:

Fly south
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has flying and can't attack.
Sacrifice ~: enchanted creature gains protection from snow until end of turn.
Everyone needs a vacation once in a while
Diving Peregrine 
Creature - Bird
Flying
: Diving Peregrine loses flying and gains first strike until end of turn.  Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
Keeping an eye to the sky will only give it a small glistening target.
2/1

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Fly South WU2
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, but a 1/1 white and blue bird creature token with flying onto the battlefield for each creature target opponent controls.
Sacrifice Fly South, bird creatures you control gain lifelink until end of turn.
We thought they were flying south to escape the cold, we were sorely mistaken.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Wow, nine people already. That did not take long.
Eight people, Chaos entered twice.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Avianize

Instant
Target creature gains flying and is a bird in addition to its other types until end of turn.  Untap that creature.
Draw a Card.
"There are no perceptable downsides or side effects of the process, unless one counts a persistant sensation of molting." - Tula, Simic Biomancer

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Eight people, Chaos entered twice.

Oh. Well it's up to 9 nine. One more to go!
Diving Peregrine
Creature - Griffin
Flash, First Strike
Cast ~ only during the assign blockers step on your opponents turn. ~ enters the battlefield blocking target creature an opponent controls.
"The mere sighting of one of them drastically changes the battle plans of opposing troops."
3/2

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
That's ten! Round closed.
Grading will have to wait until tonight or tommorow though.
Fly south
all birds gain flying

Huzzah?

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Huzzah?

Every day after today is tomorrow.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Starting the gradings. Who knows when I'll finish?

FirstTurnKill's Red-Winged Bluebird 6/10
Show
A redwinged blubird that is red and blue. It's quite purple mechanically as well and I rather like how the card looks like it would play. On the flavour front though this almost looks more like some crazy Izzet bird than a bluebird that's red. Yes it's blue and red, and the mechanics are blue and red mechanics but there's nothing about this card that screams to me "bird that's the colors it normally shouldn't be!" or whatever else the name may hint at.

Glasir's Avianize 8/10
Show
Turning spells into birds? Works for me. Cheaper than Cancel but more colorful and with an upside for your opponents if you counter their spell. Alternatively if one of your spell's wasn't going to resolve why not use this to trn it into a pair of birds? One bird token risked being OP but two risks being weak when countering an opponent's spells. That said not all cards need to be constructed all stars and I'm sure this would find its niche. Edit- Nice flavour text.

zeratulcraft 's Avianize 6.5/10
Show
It's an aura that turns guys into birds. Storm Crow sized ones. Decent blue pseudoremoval. Not something nobody's ever seen before but it works well enough.

eddned 's Avianize 5.5/10
Show
Giving everbody flying is pretty avian. Preventing all damage isn't all that bird like though. If the card name had "dove" in it somewhere perhaps...
In terms of mechanics this is fairly novel but I can't think of too many circumstances where I'd want this over good 'ol Fog. I don't mind cards in my contests being weak or narrow in most cases but I look at this and think I'd be pretty sad to get it in a booster pack.

Cyranium 's Red-Winged Bluebird 4/10
Show
I don't see the connection between the name red-winged bluebird and the mechanic evolve. While it's a little weird seeing the mechanic in Izzet colors there are certainly worst places it could have ended up. That said why did you make the card red at all? The name obviously hints at it but the mechanics would suggest monoblue if anything. Seeing an ability trigger off of evolve is kind of neat though.

ChaosLight's Fly south 8.5/10
Show
So as long as you're flying south you're too buusy to attack but you can fly? That works. And once you get there you have protection from snow? That's awesome. The whole thing tells a little story. It's kind of hard to make a verby name like Fly South work as an aura but I think you pulled it off here.
The card seems pretty balanced. It's either half a pacifism that lets the creature fly or a one shot protection from snow effect that you have to play proactively. This definately would look weird together without that name, but I guess I could say the same of Form of the Dragon. This wouldn't make the cut in all but the winteriest constructed formats but it's decent-ish in limited I suppouse.

Red-Winged Bluebird /10

that's a good score I can't beat it :C
Red-Winged Bluebird /10

that's a good score I can't beat it :C

Maybe one day with lots of practice you too can score an undefined score out of ten.
Apparently, I have two scores; a 6/10 and an undefined out of 10.

In any case, I know grading isn't done, but I'm going to banter now, anyways.  Vwa ha ha ha (/kefka-laugh)

nothing about this card that screams to me "bird that's the colors it normally shouldn't be!"

What do you mean "bird that's the colors it normally shouldn't be?"

I just thought you were inverting a Western Bluebird (Red-Chested Bluebird), which can often appear to have red wings, as well -- or recoloring a Red-Winged Blackbird, which has iridescent feathers and can often appear to be blue?

I didn't even consider you might have been thinking that a Red-Winged Bluebird is a color combination a bird shouldn't be!

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Apparently, I have two scores; a 6/10 and an undefined out of 10.

In any case, I know grading isn't done, but I'm going to banter now, anyways.  Vwa ha ha ha (/kefka-laugh)

nothing about this card that screams to me "bird that's the colors it normally shouldn't be!"

What do you mean "bird that's the colors it normally shouldn't be?"

I just thought you were inverting a Western Bluebird (Red-Chested Bluebird), which can often appear to have red wings, as well -- or recoloring a Red-Winged Blackbird, which has iridescent feathers and can often appear to be blue?

I didn't even consider you might have been thinking that a Red-Winged Bluebird is a color combination a bird shouldn't be!

I had no idea those were real things. I just came up with a name I thought sounded neat.
I still don't see how your card's mechanics would tie into the examples above though.
I still don't see how your card's mechanics would tie into the examples above though.

No, no.  I just made an interesting creature because I thought it was neat.  The best I could manage was that the bird's song was mimicry of a recently cast spell, so that it "was always unique" and "prized by the nobles."

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Going to post the rest of the new grades in a new post and hope they format in a way that doesn't simulate the feel of rubbing your eyes with sandpaper.

AzureShade's Diving Peregrine 9/10
Show
When a bird makes a dive at you how do you represent it? By making it lose flying (you only dive if you're going after ground critters) in exchange for hitting hard and fast (first strike). I like it. Form, meet function.
The card is pretty solidly built too with apropriate costing and colors. It presents interesting game decisions without being too complicated. Like I said, solid.

CandyWife20's Fly South 6/10
Show
This is one heck of a crazy card for bird tribal. It make you birds then gives them lifelink when you're ready to go in for the kill. Although I suppose if you were going to kill someone you wouldn't need the lifelink? Well I guess you can always set it off a little early when you need a life boost.
I feel like the card is trying to tell a story. It makes birds (I suppouse they congregate before heading off) and then when they're ready they head off south (and either bulk up beforehand or come back rested with lifelink). At least that's one interpretation. I can buy into that bit (although if you used your flavour text to solidify the connection), but why do you get birds equal to the creatures an opponent controls? The flavour text seems to hint at some malicious purpose but it doesn't come through clearly.
In terms of power I also think that this while still printable is a little too good. In the kind of control deck that wants this card survivng until turn 4 should be easy and then you have a brand new blocker for each creature your opponent controls. You might not be able to trade them for his creatures but you can probably prevent yourself from taking damage as you amass your bird army. Against decks that field one or two big threats it's not a big deal but against weenie strategies it's a game ender.

Tevish_Szat's Avianize 7/10
Show
I'm a little suprised that this is the first Avianize I've got that actually turns a creature into bird. That's some solid flavour there. Gaining flying for a turn was pretty much a given once you make a creature a bird. That works. But there doesn't seem to be any flavourful reason for the untapping or cantrip affects. They help to balance the card for sure, and cantrips and untapping are things that regularily get thrown onto cards without flavour justification but this is a flavour contest so it actually matters here. THe mechanics of the card are solid and blanced but there's also nothing really original or inspiring about it either. Overall a solid entry.

Fenix.'s Diving Peregrine 6.5/10
Show
Ah yes. I was wondering if we'd see a diving = entering the batlefield really fast take on this name. Your card definately gets across the "diving" aspect of the flavour. The "peregrine" is a bit of a mismatch with the creature type but if you stretch the idea a bit then I suppouse it could be a breed of griffin as well.
I'm not really sure why you can't cast this during your own combat phase and that kind of lowers your score on the mechanics side of things. If you wnated it to only be able to etb going into combat it seems there should be a work around for doing it on your turn too. I'm currently looking for rules help on whether this can be cast if your oponent doesn't attack so that's why your mark isn't finalized yet. I checked and this can't be cast if no opponent attacks. i'm not sure if that's necessary for balance or just really weird so I didn't let it affect your mark.

Ugh! Not quite enough time to finish these. Done!
Cool cool I only just started posting in this forum, its super fun
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Cool cool I only just started posting in this forum, its super fun

It's the best forum.
1st- AzureShade

2nd- ChaosLight
Fly south
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature has flying and can't attack.
Sacrifice ~: enchanted creature gains protection from snow until end of turn.
Everyone needs a vacation once in a while

3rd-Glasir
Avianize 
Instant
Counter target spell.  Its controller puts two 1/1 white Bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
A tawdry magician can turn a handkerchief into a dove.  A true sorcerer can make anything fly away.

Well folks, it looks like AzureShade is our first threemer (three time winner). Will FTK take reclaim his title as most-winner? Will the rest of you step up to the plate and win a measley two contests?
All these answers and more next episode.
AzureShade you may now choose next round's theme. This time make sure it isn't similar to anything listed among previous topics (listed in the 2nd post of this thread) and try to make it something really awesome.
Yeah I put that clause to balance the card, as a 3 mana 3 power flier with flash and first strike is clearly way too good.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Yay second with a flavor card!

I asked my girlfriend what kind of theme she wanted to see and she told me she wanted to see more Gryff cards.  Gryffs are odd heron/horse creatures that seem to be linked to Innistad's moon.  When Avacyn Restored was coming out, there was quite a bit of promotional hype in the guides surrounding these odd not-griffins.  It was something of a tragedy to Gryff lovers that, after all the hype, there were no Gryff cards printed in AVR.  The closest we came to seeing these odd creatures are the cards Favorable Winds and Gryff Vanguard (a human knight, not a Gryff).  The two cards in the set that could easily have been Gryffs (Misthollow Griffin and Mist Raven) were not.  It is assumed that Gryffs are Blue's color pie versions of White's Griffins.  As for now, Gryffs have no mechanical identity and the most tenuous connection to a color.

Make my girlfriend happy.  Make some Gryffs.

I think that's the third time you've made the hteme something that flys. Gryffs will be tough, there's not a lot of things we know about them but I'll try to come up with some names.

Next time on TiaC:CtN - The gryffs take flight!

Research materila for the curious - www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...