Looking for some advice on my (R)(W)(B) Exalted Angel Deck

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have recently gotten back into MTG with my brother and although I do like the premade decks you can buy in a box... I have been wanting to build my own deck to match my own playstyle.  This is one that I saw online and I cant remember where, but I did write down the general cards and change it around a little bit to more of my liking.  I am curious to see if this would be a viable deck for casual events etc...

Creatures : 21
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
4 Aven Squire
2 Duskmantle Prowler
2 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Knight of Glory
3 Knight of Infamy
1 Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
1 Odric, Master Tactician
3 Servant of Nefarox
2 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (are planeswalkers gamechangingly awesome?)

Spells : 15
4 Dreadbore
2 Pillar of Flame
2 Angel's Mercy
2 Chandra's Fury
2 Searing Spear
2 Angelic Benediction
1 Fervor

Artifacts : 2
2 Chromatic Lantern

Lands : 20 
3 Mountain
3 Plains
3 Swamp
3 Evolving Wilds
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Isolated Chapel
2 Clifftop Retreat
1 Rogue's Passage 
1 Cathedral of War

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have recently gotten back into MTG with my brother and although I do like the premade decks you can buy in a box... I have been wanting to build my own deck to match my own playstyle.  This is one that I saw online and I cant remember where, but I did write down the general cards and change it around a little bit to more of my liking.  I am curious to see if this would be a viable deck for casual events etc...

Creatures : 21
1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
4 Aven Squire
2 Duskmantle Prowler
2 Duty-Bound Dead
1 Knight of Glory
3 Knight of Infamy
1 Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
1 Odric, Master Tactician
3 Servant of Nefarox
2 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad (are planeswalkers gamechangingly awesome?)

Spells : 15
4 Dreadbore
2 Pillar of Flame
2 Angel's Mercy
2 Chandra's Fury
2 Searing Spear
2 Angelic Benediction
1 Fervor

Artifacts : 2
2 Chromatic Lantern

Lands : 20 
3 Mountain
3 Plains
3 Swamp
3 Evolving Wilds
2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Isolated Chapel
2 Clifftop Retreat
1 Rogue's Passage 
1 Cathedral of War

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

No one has any tips/advice?
What reason do you have to play red? Black's removal is good enough, so you don't need to venture into a third color for it. Cut red, and your mana base will become much more solid, making the deck play more smoothly.

Odric and exalted really don't work together as their trigger conditions are mutually exclusive.

You're attacking with only one creature if you want exalted to trigger, so haste is not something your creatures need. Most new creatures will already be able to enhance the attack with yet another instance of exalted. So Fervor is unessessary. But then, I already suggested you cut red entirely.

Angel's Mercy like most pure life gain cards is just bad. If you need more life, since you're in black, take it from your opponent or his creatures. The upcomming Orzhov mechanic in Gatecrash will help you with this. Also, more Vampire Nighthawks.

Add more lands, you'll need them. At least 3 more.

Try to get 4 copies each of Knight of Glory and Knight of Infamy. And maybe some Sublime Archangels.

Hey thanks for the advice!  This is what Im working with so far, and Im not done yet... I just have to figure out how to grind it down to just 60 cards.   Ive heard restoration angel + disciple of bolas is pretty nice but I would have to have two creatures out just to sac them.   I like the idea of using a planeswalker and Ajani appears to want to work well with this deck so far.  Its only at 67 cards right now so not TOO bad.

1 Avacyn, Angel of Hope
2 Sublime Archangel
1 Restoration Angel
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Aven Squire
2 Duskmantle Prowler
2 Duty-Bound Dead
4 Knight of Glory
4 Knight of Infamy
3 Servant of Nefarox
4 Vampire Nighthawk

1 Angelic Benediction
2 Disciple of Bolas
2 Duress
4 Doom Blade
4 Go for the Throat
4 Oblivion Ring

8 Plains
8 Swamps
4 Isolated Chapel
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Cathedral of War

cut both servant of nerfarox and the overlord of grixis plus the duskmantle prowler. they arent good enough. you could add some akrasan squire since they can help support for exalted and are cheap. also get 4 duty-bound dead since they are sooo good in exalted since there the best chumblockers which you need in exalted decks. I'd say cut duress since you see to have plenty of removal. You could also replace 2 O Ring's with maybe disenchant since you wont need to be using O ring on creatures. Also cut Angeilc Benediction, its to costly and is not that good. Sublime Archagnel is a staple in exalted so try to run 4 if you have the cash. Also Ajani does not fit in this deck at all. People are saying Gideon Jura would work since you can make the opponet creatures all attack him so they you can swing with your exalted guy next turn. You can also swing with Gideon himself since he also becomes a creature. So right now you only have your nighthawk to swing with so i suggest you add some other cards to swing with you would draw at least one each turn. Pherhaps Baneslayer Angel since it has exalted too. So far the deck can be shut down with a wall of denial or by your opponets instantly removing the guy your swinging with. To counter that you need cards to portect your creatures and make the unblockable with filickering ward spirit mantle or emerge unscathed. You also need some cards to draw more cards.  

Ok, if you really want to run restoration angel + disciple of bolas in your deck i suggest you add more of each since now you have pretty slim chances of getting them together. Btw, if you want to use disciple of bolas you have to add more creatures which you will swing with becuase disciple of bolas plus restoration angel only works in exalted when you sac the guy you just pumped up using exalted which right now is mostly likely going to be your nighthawk. This way you got to add more creautres you would swing with like [/c]baneslayer angel unless you want to keep swing with one of your knights... Instead of restoration angel you can also run [c]cloudshift which basically is like the angel's ability but as a spell. I would run. 

my favorite card for exalted is essence harvest. this card take advatnge of your guy you pumped up with exalted to drain your opponets life plus give you more. :D good luck.  
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!