Sigil Carver vs Umbral Cabalist

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Any thoughts on Sigil Carver vs Umbral Cabalist as a PP for a swordmage|warlock? 
What else does the Vestige Pact do for you?

What is your front line/leader situation?
Eyes of the Vestige gives me a ranged psychic at will that also allows me to curse a target. Also, with the d9 vestige of Ilmeth up, Eye will additionally inflict a -2 penalty to hit until EoNT. (In addition the Ilmeth Pact boon allows me to swap places with an ally within 5 squares).

As for other vestiges, King Elidyr, while mediocre, isn't total crap for a defender. I haven't scrutinized the other vestiges available to me over lvl13 to closely at this point, so I don't have much to offer there. 

We've had a bit of a party shift, leaving me as the sole defender (and basically the frontline, though the warlord isn't THAT squishy). Leaders are a bard, and a lazylord and possibly something else (our former paladin is making a new character that might be a shaman or might be a druid). The rest of the party consists of a brutal scoundrel and a rotating cast of two wizards (a pyromancer and a necromancer) and a chaos sorcerer. 

My gut says I can probably abuse Sigil Carver more, but Umbral cabalist has some nice features and powers.  
Eyes of the Vestige gives me a ranged psychic at will that also allows me to curse a target. Also, with the d9 vestige of Ilmeth up, Eye will additionally inflict a -2 penalty to hit until EoNT. (In addition the Ilmeth Pact boon allows me to swap places with an ally within 5 squares).

As for other vestiges, King Elidyr, while mediocre, isn't total crap for a defender. I haven't scrutinized the other vestiges available to me over lvl13 to closely at this point, so I don't have much to offer there. 

We've had a bit of a party shift, leaving me as the sole defender (and basically the frontline, though the warlord isn't THAT squishy). Leaders are a bard, and a lazylord and possibly something else (our former paladin is making a new character that might be a shaman or might be a druid). The rest of the party consists of a brutal scoundrel and a rotating cast of two wizards (a pyromancer and a necromancer) and a chaos sorcerer. 

My gut says I can probably abuse Sigil Carver more, but Umbral cabalist has some nice features and powers.  

OK, time to give a brief explanation of 'how to beat fights like a pro in D&D'. Use this thought process whenever you have to gauge if something is better than something else.

A) Does this help me have a very impactful first round? (i. e., is it so good that I will reliably use it over my best encounter power? Will it enhance my best encounter power significantly, if it doesn't compete with it?)

B) If not, does it help me do something offturn or make me consistently more dangerous? (i. e., does it not compete with my best encounter power?)

C) If neither of the above apply, is it a reliable backup choice for Round 2 or provides a situational but very potent benefit? (In english, 'is this better than my second best encounter power?'/does this shut someone down if it happens?)

D) If it isn't good enough to apply for C, does it at least act as a better version of my basic role-fulfilling ability, or enhances it? (Translation: is this gonna be worth more than Hellish Rebuke, Eldritch Strike, or a Hand of Blight boosted by Draji Aspirant or the vulnerability feat?)

E) If it doesn't fit any of the criteria above, chuck it.

So yeah. I think this should allow you to make a very easy judgement call between PPs here.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
And thus the issue I have with the Artificer Guide currently, A and D are the same, and there's all of 2 powers that meet those requirements, so the optimal everything is either B or C, which is like 75% of their total list, varrying by party/campaign nuances, bleh.

SM|Lock is easy though, Sigil Carver is definitely the right choice, you've got 2 leaders and a striker that are typically favored targets by DMs everywhere, added punishment is spiffy.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
And thus the issue I have with the Artificer Guide currently, A and D are the same, and there's all of 2 powers that meet those requirements, so the optimal everything is either B or C, which is like 75% of their total list, varrying by party/campaign nuances, bleh.

SM|Lock is easy though, Sigil Carver is definitely the right choice, you've got 2 leaders and a striker that are typically favored targets by DMs everywhere, added punishment is spiffy.

How are A and D the same, out of curiosity? Is it about Magic Weapon + Immediates?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Everything effectively competes with Magic Weapon. It's less an issue of "Would I use this over Burning Weapons/Spike Wire" which is only really a concern when you're looking at what to use on an AP. There's only 1 Standard Action Daily that qualifies as "Better Magic Weapon", which is Punishing Eye, and only 1 Standard Action Daily that you might use over whatever Encounter Power you have in a nova round because it's the only MBA granter they get, Smokepowder Detonation. Everything else worth taking is either non-standard or situational use, and a lot of their powers fall into one of those (Level 3 has 3 powers worth taking regardless of secondary, and 1 power per secondary as well, basically the same at level 13). I can post an artificer that is Good, I can't post an artificer that is "The best Artificer".
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
In other words...the Artificer is a strange beast, because with it, the optimal move is to MC and powerswap for something that gives what Magic Weapon doesn't, if it exists. Does that more or less sum it up?
Yup, that's part of what makes Killswitch so great, and why I'm considering rating Deva Gold for Wis builds (which are admittedly weaker than Con due to lack of Sigils) because SotW is so dumb great.

The best races for Artificers: Deva and Hobgoblins? Gives more credence to my belief that the admixtures aren't magical, they're just really good drugs.

Really didn't intend on derailing this thread, though I suppose it was solved in 5 posts.
Hobs for the +2 to init?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
And Racial Power making Int/Con not need to worry about getting SupWill until Epic, at which point they can take the feat to let them use their racial on an ally, a feat to make mount defenses and most important skills at least be passable because of Slick Concoction they love mounts, a feat for greatspear or tratnyr prof + damage, a single feat for heavy shields without check penalty if you want the Shield of Fellowship (And racial +1 AC for using a shield while next to someone else with a shield!) and you can afford the 13 Str because of aformentioned not needing 15 Wis as badly (or have both in Epic)

Actually they'll stay equal to Genasi, I had forgotten Elemental Echo for 2 rounds of +hit and evenmoredamage, and Eladrin get to hang out because of outright negating 3 attacks per encounter (given 3 rounds of combat) and their Theme is worth an attack for a striker, they also have the best drinks. The Tiefling sneak in because they're Tieflings and damn their support!

Add in Gith because +Init, GMB, and their racial (not everyone plays Epic, so Deva shouldn't be auto-gold for Wis).

6 Races ain't bad, but none of them are races that strike me as Artificers.